The defender joins midfielder Alan
Moore and strikers Glen Crowe and Jason
Byrne as current Shels players who have
donned the green jersey at the highest
level.

From aertel.

Risteard
19/07/2005, 11:06 AM
I'm unable to decide whether this is an astute signing of experience or the signal of desperation that will be the final nail in Shels league coffin.

Roo69
19/07/2005, 11:11 AM
I'm unable to decide whether this is an astute signing of experience or the signal of desperation that will be the final nail in Shels league coffin.

Was talking to a few eL players and they reckon that this is a fcukn great signing by Shels, still as fit as when he was in his prime they reckon. He'll be playing at centre half as well from what i was told.

dcfc_1928
19/07/2005, 11:20 AM
Despite his age, Curtis looks to have kept himself in very good physical shape, so I reckon he'll fill a short-term gap at Shels.

It could prove to be a very astute signing.

dcfcsteve
19/07/2005, 12:02 PM
I still feel uneasy about us shipping in aged-players after their career has dwindled in England....

Is he eligible for tomorrow night ?

Slash/ED
19/07/2005, 12:04 PM
Decent cover for Heary I suppose, which was needed since Brennan was let go.

Poor Student
19/07/2005, 12:06 PM
I still feel uneasy about us shipping in aged-players after their career has dwindled in England....

I don't see why you should if they're Irish. As far as I'm concerned not enough former Irish internationals return home. Someone like Steve Staunton could have come home to play for Drogs instead of haggling a whole summer with Coventry. Especially someone like Fleming who did ply his trade in the eL previously. They'd help draw some publicity and profile to the game and still have something to offer without making it look like a joke. However the likes of flying over an ancient Carlton Palmer once a week just embarrass our game.

Drumcondra Red
19/07/2005, 12:08 PM

Is he eligible for tomorrow night ?

No, afaik, if we get through he'd be able to play in the second round, he's only a stop gap though in fairness, you could do a heell of a lot worse!!!

sadloserkid
19/07/2005, 12:12 PM
I agree with Poor Student. Was hoping Niall Quinn might have linked up with a club when he came home but alas...

Alan Moore is the best example of an ex international who's come home from England and really added to the League in recent times. David Kelly's stint, while shorter wasn't a bad thing either.

Cosmo
19/07/2005, 12:17 PM
'Someone like Steve Staunton could have come home to play for Drogs'

He's from craptown and we wouldn't want him :rolleyes:

Dyl10
19/07/2005, 12:17 PM
Alan Moore is the best example of an ex international who's come home from England and really added to the League in recent times

Not to forget Farrelly and Foley

Drumcondra Red
19/07/2005, 12:29 PM
Actually lads, on ShelsWeb (http://www.shelbournefc.com/news.php?id=122) it states he's not signed yet but is due to train later on today, and then, maybe, Nutsy will ring the lads at ShelsWeb (http://www.shelbournefc.com) as soon as anything has been finalised!

pineapple stu
19/07/2005, 12:55 PM
As far as I'm concerned not enough former Irish internationals return home.
Definitely. It adds a bit of a buzz to the league for players like these to come back, even for one season. Bit of publicity, bit of awareness for the barstoolers, bit of extra interest for irregular fans when their team plays Shels next, etc.

Fleming was one of Darlington's best players last season - I think he could have played a at higher level but his family was in the north east or something? Will definitely be a good signing.

Liam O'Brien's another international who came back, incidentally.

Éanna
19/07/2005, 1:01 PM
Liam O'Brien's another international who came back, incidentally.
don't remind us. fat lump of ****

ThatGuy
19/07/2005, 1:24 PM
Farrelly is probably the only ex-international who could be playing at a higher level in England though.

Troy.McClure
19/07/2005, 3:11 PM
Not to forget Farrelly and Foley

Ya but the point is that they are still fiarly young, same with Moore AFIK.

Signing Flemming was a good move for Shels as they need a defender with a bit of experience but wouldnt have made as much sence for the likes of Cork or Derry.

Liam O'Brien, I had him erased from my memory until now :(

fbtn
19/07/2005, 3:13 PM
Farrelly is probably the only ex-international who could be playing at a higher level in England though.

From what the Bohs fans were telling us on Saturday night, he is probably better paid here. Over 4 Gs a week they reckoned he is lifting at Dalymount. That is some nice lolly.

seansouth
19/07/2005, 3:25 PM
I don't think it's confirmed yet.

Troy.McClure
19/07/2005, 3:28 PM
From what the Bohs fans were telling us on Saturday night, he is probably better paid here. Over 4 Gs a week they reckoned he is lifting at Dalymount. That is some nice lolly.

70k p/a for playing, 70 k p/a for managing I think it is.

jorge
19/07/2005, 3:56 PM
Decent cover for Heary I suppose, which was needed since Brennan was let go.
Which was needed all season long,Brennan was a liability.

Shelsman
19/07/2005, 4:48 PM
Which was needed all season long,Brennan was a liability.

But it didn't stop English lower league clubs fighting over him after Shels let him go -just goes to show how much the league has come on if English clubs are feeding off the scraps from Shels table.

:)

:cool:

Poor Student
19/07/2005, 5:01 PM
'Someone like Steve Staunton could have come home to play for Drogs'

He's from craptown and we wouldn't want him :rolleyes:

Woops, I thought he was from Drogheda. I took Stan as an example as I feel he is someone who is still able to do a worthwhile job. People here are talking about Moore and Farrelly players the right side of 30, and yes that is excellent but I don't mind players even in their mid 30's as long as they can do the business and accept a reasonable wage and no special treatment.

Cosmo
19/07/2005, 6:51 PM
No problem - the knacker was probably born in drogheda like most of craptown.

We'd take Gary Kelly though who has had a brief indirect chat about a possible coaching role with the club when he retires. He's also said to my brothers mate that he would like to finish his career with us.

Very good possiblility of that happening seen as he is a home boy and will settle in drogheda full time as soon as he's finished at leeds

Troy.McClure
19/07/2005, 9:48 PM
He's also said to my brothers mate that he would like to finish his career with us.

So he's deffinitly joining ye then :p

ThatGuy
20/07/2005, 11:01 AM
Nice story, not true though. At all! Reminds me of when people were complaining about Foley's wages not knowing that he was actually on far lower wages than others at the club, and nowhere near the figure that others were guessing.

holidaysong
20/07/2005, 7:13 PM
No problem - the knacker was probably born in drogheda like most of craptown.

He was actually :p ...as was I :eek: :D

jorge
20/07/2005, 8:12 PM
But it didn't stop English lower league clubs fighting over him after Shels let him go -just goes to show how much the league has come on if English clubs are feeding off the scraps from Shels table.

:)

:cool:
The same could be said about Fleming.

BobtheDrog
21/07/2005, 7:12 PM
So he's deffinitly joining ye then :p

this is cosmo's brothers mate we're talking about so its go to be true