PDA

View Full Version : Could You Ever Trust A Politician?

Peadar
19/07/2005, 9:46 AM
Taken from BreakingNews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/07/19/story212330.html)

Fianna Fáil backbenchers have reportedly sought independent legal advice about Justice Minister Michael McDowell's plans to deregulate the restaurant licensing system.

Reports this morning said these TDs were also opposed to his latest plans and were seeking independent legal advice on the matter, as well as the creation of a new nightclub licence and the introduction of new conditions for off-licences.

The reports said one of the TDs, Barry Andrews, was insisting that the move was driven by concern about alcohol abuse rather than any ties the politicians have to the pub trade.

Now why don't I believe Mr. Andrews (http://www.barryandrews.com/)!? :rolleyes:

Incidently, in February 2003 Mr Andrews claimed that plans by a low-price British chain to open pubs in Ireland will feed the culture of binge drinking and underage alcohol abuse in Ireland.

This was in response to plans by the British chain JD Weatherspoons to open a pub in Dublin's Capel Street.

dahamsta
19/07/2005, 10:14 AM
I don't get it. Hang on, I'll try reading it again. Nope, still don't get it. Are we supposed to know who this guy is or something?

adam

pete
19/07/2005, 10:16 AM
Theres a reason they are called the Publican Party. I wonder how many of those TDs own pubs or have "interests" in pubs?

Was he the TD who had those Man United merchandising comments a while back?

Peadar
19/07/2005, 10:30 AM
Are we supposed to know who this guy is or something?

I mentioned Mr. Andrews because he's the only one with comments attributed to him and always seem to have a problem when someone tries to upset the cider apple cart.
In general though, there are many politicians who have a conflict of interest with regard to the licensing laws.

Drumcondra Red
19/07/2005, 10:38 AM
Jaysus, he used to be my history teacher!!!! His comments about Man. Utd. were that they shouldn't be allowed to change their kit so often as it is a great expense to parents, he was "quoted" in the press as saying this about ticket prices which he claims not to have said.

I e-mailed him about this along with an invite to an Eircom League game in Tolka Park, however he was unable to make the trip over because he goes to Belfield every week as a UCD supporter!!!!!! :eek:

Jim Smith
19/07/2005, 11:13 AM
I e-mailed him about this along with an invite to an Eircom League game in Tolka Park, however he was unable to make the trip over because he goes to Belfield every week as a UCD supporter!!!!!! :eek:
Looking for the sympathy vote :eek: He's a sharp operator all right...

Schumi
19/07/2005, 12:01 PM
I e-mailed him about this along with an invite to an Eircom League game in Tolka Park, however he was unable to make the trip over because he goes to Belfield every week as a UCD supporter!!!!!! :eek:So invite him to our away game in Tolka, perfect solution. :) Apparently he does go to UCD games regularly enough.

Drumcondra Red
19/07/2005, 1:42 PM
Do you ever see him there Schumi, I'm trying to remember if he said anything about it in school or not, his replacment was a Cork City fan!!! :eek: :o :eek:

monutdfc
19/07/2005, 1:46 PM
I would trust certain politicians. Joe Higgins is someone who might have a streak of integrity, if you looked very hard.

But by and large I wouldn't trust most of them.

Did someone hack into your account Conor???
Seriously though, this is disconcerting coming from you, someone who I would have thought has more faith in the political system than many of the rest of us.

Schumi
19/07/2005, 2:02 PM
Do you ever see him there Schumi
I wouldn't recognise him to be honest. Someone else said that they saw him in Belfield regularly enough in the original thread about the Man United stuff.

monutdfc
19/07/2005, 6:07 PM
Similarly, someone like Justin Barrett may be the most honest guy ever, I will still think he's a moron.
I never thought the day would come when I would agree with Conor on a political matter!