PDA

View Full Version : Three Wheels on our Wagon ...

Petmuller
17/07/2005, 9:15 PM
But we keep rolling along ....

A number of points to cause concern from last night's result in Kilkenny.
Lack of cover in key positions.
Though we have a relative big squad we are still alarmingly short in cover. Ralf was suspended last night and although he has been playing out of position in recent weeks, doing a great job I must add, we don't have a regular right full and this is a huge worry. The manager has brought in a replacement left-full when the problem is on the right. We have gone round and round here on the Gallagher issue to no avail. He played very poorly again last night.
Gerry Carr is proving to be a great coach and I'd not be surprised to seeing as a future manager of the bit o red but I think it's too much to accept him as a player especially in a game we are chasing. I've said before that he is ok to act as cover for central defence but last night he slotted into midfield and I felt he was totally out of his dept.
Our fire power up front was not happening from very early last night, times Paul and Sean just weren't communicating at all, even contesting the same ball, times like this we need to spring an alternative from the bench but Carlos... hey hello Carlos??
Tactically we were out of it as well. Pat Scully had set out his stall and his players played to his system. When they deviated Pat was loud in his annoyance at that player. They obviousily had a game plan, played some good football and left it open so as the opposition too could involve themselves in an open game. My reading of it was Rovers expected a closed shop affair and set out our stall to counteract it. On learning differently we just didn't have a plan B. The long ball to Flannery wasn't working as he was well marshalled by the Cats defence, yet another Scully tatic.
Without wanting to sound bitchy towards the ref, but Hilda had somewhat a stinker. The manner in which Kilkenny scored their second was nothing short of bazaar. Play actually stopped twice down Rovers Right deep in our half. Hilda restarted with the order play on and no side seemed to know what to do next. Kilkenny scored without a Rovers player challanging and the 'goal' was allowed. No cameras present so we'll have to rely on the honesty of Pat Scully to explain proceedings. Rovers were out of it after this and although we enjoyed the majority of play we just didn't seem to have the will to take the game by the scruff of the neck.
In recent games Rovers have indeed being somewhat fortunate with results, last night we lost a wheel from our wagon, we stuttered and started but never fulfilled what we believe to be our potential. This could act as a huge wake-up call for the bit o red or we could start to loose sight of the finish line. It's now down to the quality of our management team to prove they have what it takes to get the wagon back rolling with all wheels in tact.

Last night Sligo Rovers Football Club was badly let down by a group of 'supporters'.
Their abusive language was totally unnecessary, their chanting of obscenities towards the Kilkenny manager and players is not acceptable in modern society not alone at a football match with young children in attendance. These 'supporters' were ejected from the ground with the aid of the Garda and rightly so. There should be no welcome for them in the showgrounds as well as their behaviour brings down the name of the decent people that work hard and support our football club.

Rory H
18/07/2005, 9:53 AM
its not time to panic...we have weaknesses but so do other teams in this division...i havent seen a team in this divison better than us and at exactly halfway i am very happy to be 2 points clear.......

next 2 games are massive though!

d rovers
18/07/2005, 1:16 PM
i totally agree with everything petmuller had to say. a few supporters really let the whole club down in kilkenny. it makes all rovers supporters look bad, & there were a lot of angry rovers supporters at the game. if you are going to travel all that distance it would be nice to support the team. i know it was an abysmal performance, but shouting abuse at the team at half time isn't going to help matters either.
i don't get to too many away games, & i will think twice before heading off again!

rockstar
18/07/2005, 4:06 PM
:o Said it in an earlier thred some months back, against Longford IN the league cup these same set of supporters(thugs)should have been thrown out of the showgrounds, Sligo Rovers certainly dont need them. how can we as parents bring our kids to matches with this language and loutish beahaviour directed towards oppents, referees, or even our own players when they feel things are not going there way, now is the time to stand up and ban them from home games.

Da Real Rover
18/07/2005, 6:01 PM
I feel that yee are over-reacting just a bit, do yee not remember standing in the shadow of the shed when yee were kids and the language back then was alot worse than it is now. Even after being exposed to these 'obscenities' i have not developed into a full blown axe murderer ore cereal killer. It all depends on your kids, the stuff they hear at games is probably alot tamer than the stuff there speaking at school. Ya cant gaurd them from it forever.

Derek
18/07/2005, 11:59 PM
blown axe murderer ore cereal killer.

How does that work? you stuff corn flakes into you victims mouths until they choke. :rolleyes:

d rovers
19/07/2005, 7:31 AM
my main problem with the trip to kilkenny was rovers playing pants. they were really off form. i don't have a major problem with bad language in the right context. if there was a bit of banter with the kilkenny fans (hell, if there were kilkenny fans, but that is another thread), it would have been sound with me.
a steward went over to these supporters a few minutes into the game & had a word with them, asking them to tone down the bad language. he just got abused.
spending the second half (until removed from the ground) abusing pat scully is a bit sad. if they were roaring on their team they could have let the language fly & i wouldn't have cared! it's great to hear rovers fan singing, i just wish they were a bit more imaginative & a bit less abusive at times.

monutdfc
19/07/2005, 9:05 AM
Similar comments were made following Rovers' visit to Monaghan. Sligo have great support, but an element just need to tone down their chants in front of women and children.
I agree that you will always get this at football games. The problem is that it comes across much worse in the first division (and moreso at Monaghan and Kilkenny :( ) where the crowds are smaller and so every word is heard by everyone present.

Schumi
19/07/2005, 11:45 AM
a steward went over to these supporters a few minutes into the game & had a word with them, asking them to tone down the bad language. he just got abused.In fairness, the Kilkenny stewards asked us not to make too much noise when we were down there last year so I wouldn't take them too seriously.

sadloserkid
19/07/2005, 12:07 PM
an element just need to tone down their chants in front of women.

Women's equality bypassed Monaghan I take it? ;)

Da Real Rover
19/07/2005, 4:40 PM
Similar comments were made following Rovers' visit to Monaghan. Sligo have great support, but an element just need to tone down their chants in front of women and children.

I remember that game and yee deserved every bit of it. The lads at the back we're singing all the first half and then when yee 'deservedly' scored thanks to the ref, some mons fans turned around to the lads behind them and said 'your not singing anymore are ya', they totally provocated them and deserved every bit they got.

1 9 2 8
19/07/2005, 5:31 PM
Didn't go to the game so I can't really comment on it but as Schumi said the Kilkenny stewards are known for over reacting they told the Harps supporters to quite down because they were making to much noise with their drum. If Kilkenny’s ground had the UEFA licensing laws implemented (i.e. segregation) these guys wouldn't have been in the same area as Kilkenny women and children. But in saying that there is no excuse for OTT abuse

monutdfc
19/07/2005, 7:00 PM
I remember that game and yee deserved every bit of it. The lads at the back we're singing all the first half and then when yee 'deservedly' scored thanks to the ref, some mons fans turned around to the lads behind them and said 'your not singing anymore are ya', they totally provocated them and deserved every bit they got.
Read my post - I was referring to Rovers' visit to Monaghan. It was only a couple of weeks ago.

As for the game in Sligo, long before the goal was scored (yes it was an iffy offside - get over it) the atmosphere was quite unpleasant. One of the girls with us said afterwards it was the only time she ever felt scared and intimidated at a football game.

Da Real Rover
20/07/2005, 4:46 PM
[QUOTE=monutdfc]the atmosphere was quite unpleasant. QUOTE]
As i said before it was mons fans who started the issue cause nobody in sligo gives 2 fu#ks about monaghan.