PDA

View Full Version : Athlone Town

Lim till i die
11/02/2022, 3:29 PM
Appear to have forgotten to sign a team?

Anyone know the issue there?

Well Martin Russell is obviously the main issue but anything else?

total hoofball
11/02/2022, 5:19 PM
I make it 7 players announced by them, I suspect Russell is working under a reduced budget due to inflated government subsidies last season and is going to be working with what's left of free agents and young players

Big contrast to last season when they were signing decent First Division level players and were being tipped for a promotion push by some, started the season with 13 points from 5 games and ultimately massively underperformed. Carberry didn't seem to be the best manager out there to back up with a useful squad, in the end Doolin actually did somewhat of an ok job to steady their collapse and see them home to 7th place

pineapple stu
11/02/2022, 5:42 PM
They're playing Sligo tomorrow, so I guess they have something together, even if it's just promoting the 19s?

Longfordian
11/02/2022, 6:18 PM
They've played a few friendlies already so I think they have enough players training with them at least. I'm sure they'll scramble together a squad of some kind.

joey B
12/02/2022, 12:59 AM
https://twitter.com/AthloneTownAFC/status/1492272839004672004

Announced 3 Dutch fellas tonight,I presume Ollie just didnt want them!

Eminence Grise
12/02/2022, 11:15 AM
Dutch leave. Dutch courage. Going Dutch. Pass the Dutchie. Grand Dutchy of Athlone. Athlone say Nether Again. Youri Habing a laugh.

Pick your headline. This could go anyway. Fingers crossed all the same.

Longfordian
12/02/2022, 6:29 PM
I'm reluctant to go in too hard on them when 5 of our 17 players today were triallists. A bit of work to do ourselves.

joey B
12/02/2022, 6:42 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AthloneTownAFC/status/1492562835402076164

Athlone appear to have signed a boxer aswell ….

nigel-harps1954
12/02/2022, 7:30 PM
I'm reluctant to go in too hard on them when 5 of our 17 players today were triallists. A bit of work to do ourselves.

Would worry about Longford this year. Harps were easily tearing them open in the first half today. Probably could have had four or five goals without ever really getting out of second gear.

Longfordian
12/02/2022, 10:12 PM
At least we can't go down again. I don't expect us to be figuring near the top though. Another rebuilding job needed but there shouldn't be any major off the field issues the club hasn't spent beyond its means in recent years.

Martinho II
13/02/2022, 9:52 PM
At least we can't go down again. I don't expect us to be figuring near the top though. Another rebuilding job needed but there shouldn't be any major off the field issues the club hasn't spent beyond its means in recent years.

Well thats a fair enough pt but from talking to a lot of fans on the ground all the talk is the lack of gratitude towards Aodh Dervin leavin us on town website. Think they are fighting a losing battle and they have only themselves to blame on that. A lot very unhappy.

Longfordian
13/02/2022, 10:34 PM
I suspect they're still fighting with Shels about compensation so they don't want to acknowledge that the transfer is finalised. Dan McDonnell made a reference a while ago that there was a dispute ongoing between two LOI clubs over compensation. The rules changed recently and I'm guessing there may be a row over whether anything is due.

Martinho II
14/02/2022, 7:21 PM
I suspect they're still fighting with Shels about compensation so they don't want to acknowledge that the transfer is finalised. Dan McDonnell made a reference a while ago that there was a dispute ongoing between two LOI clubs over compensation. The rules changed recently and I'm guessing there may be a row over whether anything is due.
Possibly an explanation but its like a spoiled kid rattling their toys out of the pram. Just move on. Huge difference in conduct over aodh dervin and from when stephen kenny got tapped up by bohs. I know quite well whos fingerprints are over this and i wont comment publicly but i hope they hang their hands in shame

Longfordian
14/02/2022, 8:06 PM
I don't disagree with you there. They could wish him all the best and still have it out with Shels. I genuinely know nothing about the situation at all but wouldn't be surprised if the rule change caught us out as it seems to have taken a few clubs by surprise. Unless we were paying him in the off season I don't think we'll get anything under the new rules. Bit of a hit when they'd have been counting on a few quid for him.

nigel-harps1954
14/02/2022, 10:09 PM
I don't disagree with you there. They could wish him all the best and still have it out with Shels. I genuinely know nothing about the situation at all but wouldn't be surprised if the rule change caught us out as it seems to have taken a few clubs by surprise. Unless we were paying him in the off season I don't think we'll get anything under the new rules. Bit of a hit when they'd have been counting on a few quid for him.

Need to have continued paying his contract up until the end of December to be entitled to compensation under the new rules.