PDA

View Full Version : Three Wheels on our Wagon ...

Petmuller
17/07/2005, 6:30 PM
But we keep rolling along ....

A number of points to cause concern from last night's result in Kilkenny.
Lack of cover in key positions.
Though we have a relative big squad we are still alarmingly short in cover. Ralf was suspended last night and although he has been playing out of position in recent weeks, doing a great job I must add, we don't have a regular right full and this is a huge worry. The manager has brought in a replacement left-full when the problem is on the right. We have gone round and round here on the Gallagher issue to no avail. He played very poorly again last night.
Gerry Carr is proving to be a great coach and I'd not be surprised to seeing as a future manager of the bit o red but I think it's too much to accept him as a player especially in a game we are chasing. I've said before that he is ok to act as cover for central defence but last night he slotted into midfield and I felt he was totally out of his dept.
Our fire power up front was not happening from very early last night, times Paul and Sean just weren't communicating at all, even contesting the same ball, times like this we need to spring an alternative from the bench but Carlos... hey hello Carlos??
Tactically we were out of it as well. Pat Scully had set out his stall and his players played to his system. When they deviated Pat was loud in his annoyance at that player. They obviousily had a game plan, played some good football and left it open so as the opposition too could involve themselves in an open game. My reading of it was Rovers expected a closed shop affair and set out our stall to counteract it. On learning differently we just didn't have a plan B. The long ball to Flannery wasn't working as he was well marshalled by the Cats defence, yet another Scully tatic.
Without wanting to sound bitchy towards the ref, but Hilda had somewhat a stinker. The manner in which Kilkenny scored their second was nothing short of bazaar. Play actually stopped twice down Rovers Right deep in our half. Hilda restarted with the order play on and no side seemed to know what to do next. Kilkenny scored without a Rovers player challanging and the 'goal' was allowed. No cameras present so we'll have to rely on the honesty of Pat Scully to explain proceedings. Rovers were out of it after this and although we enjoyed the majority of play we just didn't seem to have the will to take the game by the scruff of the neck.
In recent games Rovers have indeed being somewhat fortunate with results, last night we lost a wheel from our wagon, we stuttered and started but never fulfilled what we believe to be our potential. This could act as a huge wake-up call for the bit o red or we could start to loose sight of the finish line. It's now down to the quality of our management team to prove they have what it takes to get the wagon back rolling with all wheels in tact.

Last night Sligo Rovers Football Club was badly let down by a group of 'supporters'.
Their abusive language was totally unnecessary, their chanting of obscenities towards the Kilkenny manager and players are not acceptable in modern society not alone at a football match with young children in attendance. These 'supporters' were ejected with the aid of the Garda and rightly so. There should be no welcome for them in the showgrounds as well as their behaviour brings down the name of the decent people that work hard and support our football club.

terry9
17/07/2005, 9:35 PM
what?

sligoman
18/07/2005, 12:25 AM
what?

:D, I think he posted it in the wrong forum terry