PDA

View Full Version : Club nicknames

Pages : [1] 2

Cosmo
15/07/2005, 12:45 PM
Right I'm not trolling or trying to wind people up but are there any clubs nick names or phrases that really wind ye up?

I ask, because any time I hear the phrase 'rebel army' I cringe. I dont know why, I just think it sounds naff

Its not as bad when ye hear it at matches but when youre reading the paper or websites and I see it I honestly cringe. Maybe its because I hear Pat Dolans voice saying it in my head or something :o .

Not sure - anyone else think its cringe worthy or is there any other clubs nickname that gets to ye?

(before anyone starts i know the drogs isnt great either ;) !!).

superfrank
15/07/2005, 12:49 PM
I like Seagulls. Nobody calls us anything else?

I don't like it when the media calls them Shams. Maybe they're trying to make people realise the state of the club? :o It's annoying though.

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 12:51 PM
city? the rebels? the leesiders? league leaders?

fosterdollar
15/07/2005, 12:52 PM
To be honest ( and i'm sure i'll get slated for this ) i think 'de town' is the most rediculous nickname ever. When people ask what our nickname is and lads actually try to reiterate that it is, in fact, DE town and not THE town when people take it up wrong i want to punch them. A few years ago there used to be references to Longford Lions which I did like as it was a proper name and not a play on our accent.

Poor Student
15/07/2005, 12:53 PM
Rebel Army is very forced and manufactured. I much prefer 'The College' to 'Students'. Students leads to a lot of cringe worthy headlines in the paper and the lazy hacks love to drag the same ones up over and over again. It also gives people the impression our team are literally just a bunch of students.

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 12:55 PM
Rebel Army is very forced and manufactured
any more than "red army" or "green army" or "brian kerrs' green and white army"? :confused:

monutdfc
15/07/2005, 12:55 PM
The Magic Mons has always made me cringe. I mean, what's magic about us? The only magic thing is the way those cows move huge distances unnoticed. Even if we were the best team in Ireland it is still a crap name.

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 12:58 PM
The Magic Mons has always made me cringe. I mean, what's magic about us? The only magic thing is the way those cows move huge distances unnoticed. Even if we were the best team in Ireland it is still a crap name.

it must be tough but i have nothing but respect for someone whose willing to support monaghan united :)

Ash
15/07/2005, 12:59 PM
I agree Magic Mons is a bit daft, we're just "Town" or "Bit O Blue"
plain and simple, nothing fancy - like our performances in recent reasons :(

I have to say Ive always refered to Sligo Rovers as Rovers and Shamrock
Rovers as Shams

monutdfc
15/07/2005, 1:04 PM
it must be tough but i have nothing but respect for someone whose willing to support monaghan united :)
As the cliche goes, you don't choose your team, it chooses you.
While admittedly the club senior team still struggles, when I see the developments at CHP, the success of the underage teams, the growth of football in a gaa stronghold (not that I have any grudges against the gaa (despite the odd bigot here and there ;) ), the hard work so many people put in it makes me proud to be a , eh, Mon. When a former manager now manages Ireland (underage) a former Chairman is now FAI Treasurer (poison chalice that it may be) and a former player has played for the full Irish senior team, that also makes me proud to be a <cough> Mon

gustavo
15/07/2005, 1:11 PM
Rovers as Shams
fair play to ya ash must have been ur fine education up here:)

Conor H
15/07/2005, 4:56 PM
Our nickname would obviously be the tribesmen but you don't here many saying it.

Da Real Rover
15/07/2005, 5:02 PM
I agree Magic Mons is a bit daft, we're just "Town" or "Bit O Blue"
plain and simple, nothing fancy - like our performances in recent reasons :(

Rovers as Shams
I hate people calling Shamrock Rovers, Rovers. There nickname is Shams, calling them Rovers is just like calling Saint Patricks Athletic, Athletic. There nickname is Pats and Shamrock Rovers nickname is Shams, not thet difficult. I really hate that nickname that is sometimes used for us, 'Da Bit O Red'. Likewise with Athlone, 'Da Bit O Blue', terrible. That Barmy Army chant used by Galway fans sounds really Gay, it brings to the mind an army made up of the village people. It all makes so much sense now.

dcfcsteve
15/07/2005, 5:19 PM
Derry's 'The Candystripes' - a bit lame, but harmless enough.

I don't like the way 'City' has recently been assumed by a lot of fans to refer to Cork City. Derry City have been called 'City' since 1985 - back in the days when Cork City had 2 fans and looked like they might go the way of all previous Cork teams. There's only one City in the Prem..... :D

MonUtdfc - who was the Mons player who played full senior for Ireland ?

soccerc
15/07/2005, 5:29 PM
Derry's 'The Candystripes' - a bit lame, but harmless enough.

I don't like the way 'City' has recently been assumed by a lot of fans to refer to Cork City. Derry City have been called 'City' since 1985 - back in the days when Cork City had 2 fans and looked like they might go the way of all previous Cork teams. There's only one City in the Prem..... :D

MonUtdfc - who was the Mons player who played full senior for Ireland ?
Jonathan Douglas was capped against Poland in 2004

hamish
15/07/2005, 5:42 PM
city? the rebels? the leesiders? league leaders?

In another thread I suggested Corky Boys - it's snappy, easy to rhyme with and sing to.
Reminds me of the Reggae Boys.

1 9 2 8
15/07/2005, 5:43 PM
I hate the way Athlone stole our "Bit O' Red" and turned it into the "Bit O' Blue" I think they only started calling them selves this the last few years. It bugs be too when people call Shams "Rovers". We are Rovers :cool:

hamish
15/07/2005, 5:46 PM
I hate the way Athlone stole our "Bit O' Red" and turned it into the "Bit O' Blue" I think they only started calling them selves this the last few years. It bugs be too when people call Shams "Rovers". We are Rovers :cool:

Agreed - I never heard that bit o blue crack until lately -it's The Town period and of course Rovers. ;)

Dyl10
15/07/2005, 5:58 PM
I quite like the nickname "The ****ies"

Dyl10
15/07/2005, 5:59 PM
I quite like the nickname "The ****ies"

I actually cant beleived "The C a w k i e s" gets edited

BohDiddley
15/07/2005, 6:42 PM
Neat thread.

Some folk think 'Boez' is insulting, for some reason, but I love it. Anyone who pronounces it 'properly', as in 'Bohs', must be treated with the utmost suspicion -- a bit like someone who never drinks or smokes and still has their communion money. :D You cannot chant 'The Bohs'. You cannot help but chant 'De Boez'.

Some individuals seem to think that having a Dublin accent is the worst thing that can befall a person in this country. But most Dublin people don't, an' dat's what counts!

I don't much like 'gypo', often used on these boards, because, whatever the intention of the speaker/writer, it smacks of traveller-hatred and bigotry. It also spectacularly misses the point of the club's name, and that of many others in these islands, not least, er, Rovers.

I love calling shams shams, simply because it drives them crazy. Somehow, they think they are entitled to be called Rovers, a bit like ManUre and 'united'. I often slip up and forget, but whenever I can, I refer to Sligo with the R word and Rovers, sorry Shams, with the S word.

However, when a Bohs (sorry, Boez) crowd flatters the shams and chants 'We fookin' hate Rovers' (never sing it myself -- don't see the point) this should not be taken the wrong way by Sligo folk.

Anto McC
15/07/2005, 7:04 PM
Can't go wrong with Shels

ThatGuy
15/07/2005, 7:06 PM
What annoys me are the forced nicknames such as "The Vikings" and "The Thoroughbreds"

strangeirish
15/07/2005, 7:19 PM
What annoys me are the forced nicknames such as "The Vikings" and "The Thoroughbreds"

Have to agree with you on ours although I think "The Inbreds" would be even more forced ;)

shedite
15/07/2005, 7:35 PM
I like the Rebel Army idea.

For other teams, I absolutely cringe when the Cobh Ramblers says (he used to do it a few years back anyway), "The adventure continues"

shedite
15/07/2005, 7:37 PM
Oh and on Sky Sports when they abbreviate teams badly. Like a few years ago when UCD used to appear as "Dublin", Rovers were "Shamrock", and Pats were "St.Patricks"

It's great that they're taking an interest but they might as well have got them right.

sonofstan
15/07/2005, 9:12 PM
Beside the point a bit, but nothing makes me cringe quite as much as 'the Bhoys'

Anto McC
15/07/2005, 9:14 PM
Beside the point a bit, but nothing makes me cringe quite as much as 'the Bhoys'

Agreed

jorge
15/07/2005, 9:53 PM
I hate people calling Shamrock Rovers, Rovers. There nickname is Shams, calling them Rovers is just like calling Saint Patricks Athletic, Athletic. .
We are Rovers full stop.

Dr.Nightdub
15/07/2005, 10:09 PM
"Rebel Army" and "Supersaints" were both equal pieces of Dolan codology. "Dublin Saints" (around the time of the abortive Pats-Francis merger) was really plumbing the depths.

At the start of the season, I wrote a piece for our programme which the editor point-blank refused to print, on the grounds that it could cost her her job.

To start with, Rico changed Cork's nickname to The Recalcitrant Personages of Martial Aspect.

After that, there was a scenario of Dolan traipsing from team to team, taking over as one manager after another was sacked. This led, in turn, to the creation of:
- The Gypsy Rebel Army
- The Blue Rebel Army
- The Candystripe Rebel Army (CRA)
- The Boycott Army
- The Superseagull Wavy Navy I Love The Marine Corps Barmy Army
Go figure for yourselves.... ;)

RĂ©iteoir
15/07/2005, 10:15 PM
We are Rovers full stop.

Didn't know you followed Sligo...

Da Real Rover
16/07/2005, 9:56 AM
We are Rovers full stop.
I think we should make a pole on this, surley one of yee Cork monitors would do us a favour and just show The shams fans who actually thinks there called Rovers. They've been deluding themselves for too long.

GavinZac
16/07/2005, 10:00 AM
I actually cant beleived "The Caw kies" gets edited

how is you lot not being able to pronounce R's a nickname?

Passive
16/07/2005, 11:03 AM
I hate people calling Shamrock Rovers, Rovers. There nickname is Shams, calling them Rovers is just like calling Saint Patricks Athletic, Athletic. There nickname is Pats and Shamrock Rovers nickname is Shams, not thet difficult. I really hate that nickname that is sometimes used for us, 'Da Bit O Red'. Likewise with Athlone, 'Da Bit O Blue', terrible. That Barmy Army chant used by Galway fans sounds really Gay, it brings to the mind an army made up of the village people. It all makes so much sense now.

Yeah, without doubt the most ridiculous thing I've ever read in my life.

We have been called "Rovers" for nearly a century. Remember that eighty year period when we completely dominated LoI football? Well people took to calling us Rovers then and it's not going to change. 15 leagues, 24 cups, we're a freakin' institution. Has Sligo ever won anything? Why on Earth would Sligo be called Rovers ahead of us?

GavinZac
16/07/2005, 11:05 AM

We have been called "Rovers" for nearly a century. Remember that eighty year period when we completely dominated LoI football? Well people took to calling us Rovers then and it's not going to change. 15 leagues, 24 cups, we're a freakin' institution. Has Sligo ever won anything? Why on Earth would Sligo be called Rovers ahead of us?

so you dominated irish football for 80 years and won 15 leagues? dems looooong seasons

ThatGuy
16/07/2005, 11:13 AM
Neat thread.

Some folk think 'Boez' is insulting, for some reason, but I love it. Anyone who pronounces it 'properly', as in 'Bohs', must be treated with the utmost suspicion -- a bit like someone who never drinks or smokes and still has their communion money. :D You cannot chant 'The Bohs'. You cannot help but chant 'De Boez'.

Some individuals seem to think that having a Dublin accent is the worst thing that can befall a person in this country. But most Dublin people don't, an' dat's what counts!

I don't much like 'gypo', often used on these boards, because, whatever the intention of the speaker/writer, it smacks of traveller-hatred and bigotry. It also spectacularly misses the point of the club's name, and that of many others in these islands, not least, er, Rovers.

I love calling shams shams, simply because it drives them crazy. Somehow, they think they are entitled to be called Rovers, a bit like ManUre and 'united'. I often slip up and forget, but whenever I can, I refer to Sligo with the R word and Rovers, sorry Shams, with the S word.

However, when a Bohs (sorry, Boez) crowd flatters the shams and chants 'We fookin' hate Rovers' (never sing it myself -- don't see the point) this should not be taken the wrong way by Sligo folk.

Fans (usually of Rovers) use Boez as a derogatory replacement for Bohs I find. As for not being able to chant "The Bohs (clap clap clap)", you can't sing "We are Boez" either!

And it is pronounced Bohs (boes) any difference is down to people's accents and shouldn't effect the spelling of it IMO!!!

Anto McC
16/07/2005, 11:38 AM
I think we should make a pole on this, surley one of yee Cork monitors would do us a favour and just show The shams fans who actually thinks there called Rovers. They've been deluding themselves for too long.

I agree a poll would be a big deciding factor,i know Shamrock Rovers as Rovers

Vitruvian Man
16/07/2005, 11:51 AM
"The Big Club"

This nickname started off among Bohs fans as a purely ironic and self-depreciating joke about how we had thrashed those plucky minnows Aberdeen 0-1 in Tolka Park.

But some of our not-too-bright cousins involved with the Shams started to get realy annoyed by it. So what are you going to do except rub their noses in it and remind them of The Big Club at every opportunity.

By the way, whoever came up with the phrase "The Big Pub", to describe how Bohs fans always talk about the bars in Dalymount, is a genius. :D

1 9 2 8
16/07/2005, 12:06 PM

Next season when Rovers are in the premier league and Shams are struggling in the bottom half of the first division with your 15 leagues and 24 cups :rolleyes: we'll see who the real Rovers is :D

goattail
16/07/2005, 1:37 PM
Shamrock Rovers were winning LoI titles and being called Rovers before Sligo Rovers were even formed (1928 according to the clubs site) so Sligo have no claim to the title in the eL.

Hate the names shams, hoops, gypos, Boez, de town and supersaints. Changing the clubs name to Dublin city and the Vikings was just ridiculous and despite what certain Irish and English clubs think there is only one stadium of light and its in neither country.

When Bohemians were away to a French team (Bordoux, I think) in Europe in the 90s the French TV channel broadcasting the match called them Dublin city. Sure they didnt stand much of a chance but not even bothering to learn a clubs name is just arrogant and offensive.

Da Real Rover
16/07/2005, 2:21 PM

Passive we we're officially founded in 1928 but unofficially in 1900, so if my mathimatics are correct we've been called rovers 1 year longer than yee. And that 80 year long dominance in Irish football was more like 60. yee have won more trophies than us but guess which of us was the last one to win a major trophy, us as in Rovers and not Shams. Whos bottom of the Premier Division and guess whos top of the first, cant wait to see ya playing in the graveyard next season, since we're on the subject of death hows your future looking. Yee have won 15 leagues and 24 cups how come you still get the same gates as us and we are in a town thats a population of 20000 and your in one of 1.2 million. One more point why do you call Bohs, Gypos when your the ones who are homeless and brakeing into pubs. For those few reasons thats why we are called Rovers ahead of yee and thats why yer called Shams and ya better be getting used to that name cause yer fans are living up to it.

Passive
16/07/2005, 3:18 PM
That's such a load of ridiculous twaddle that I'm not even going to respond.

Call us whatever you want if it makes you feel better.

Roverstillidie
16/07/2005, 4:17 PM
breaking into pubs?!? this story still doing the rounds? rovers fans break into a bar and leave the booze alone? doesnt quite fit, does it. the bozo soccer casualties lost their flag, the rest is them lying to their pals in dalyer so the dont look like the yellow tossers that they are.

the reason the filth are called gypos is their nickname, the one they chose for themselves, is the gypsies. if it is 'anti traveller' as one black and tan posted earler to call them gypos, perhaps they should start by changing their official nickname themselves. They could return to bells acadamy aka the irish hibernians (the british military unit that executed volunteers in 1916 and helpped break the strikes in 13 that the bores were founded by)?

Rovers are Rovers or the Hoops. The 'cup specalists' line the press come out with is a bit cringeworthy though. And that engerlish lad at a game a few seasons back who yelled 'come on shamrocks' at the top of his voice nearly got lynched.

i have a new one 'the only club in the 26 counties that pays tax'?

Sligo are the bog rovers, or s h i t e, depending on your angle. I can understand them trying to claim our nickname, but the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves. And as for 'we were unofficially founded 20 years before we were founded, jog on. worst reply ever.

goattail
16/07/2005, 4:49 PM
The name Sligo Rovers first appeared around 1908 and a junior team bearing the name competed in the Junior cup in 1910 and 1919. There is no further record of a club bearing the name until 1928 when the Rovers as we now know them were formed.
From Sligo Rovers official website. Now if I understands my mathematics that means Shamrock Rovers were formed seven years before any team calling itself Sligo Rovers.
According to the Wikipedia encyclopdiea the nickname of Sligo Rovers is Bit o' Red http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sligo_Rovers while Shamrock Rovers are called the Hoops or Rovers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Rovers . And the bottom of the Premier division is still above the top of the First Division until the end of the final the of the season. Not that I care but Im waiting on a large download and have nothing better to do.

EireBadBoy
16/07/2005, 5:16 PM
It's amazing the self importance some Club's get from being top of the First Division, seriously, Sligo trying to claim Rovers - I'd be conident enough to put a large wager on it that should you mention the name in conversation about Football that 99.9% of people would automatically assume Shamrock Rovers the other 0.1% are unfortunately from Sligo. :D

Maynard
16/07/2005, 5:39 PM
I guess the Vikings is quite naff, but then again so are many nicknames, and it seems that it's a standard part of any clubs itinerary these days, us and Kildare had to come up with something...I suppose it can be like band names, they just get more acceptable over a long period of time...I mean "the Beatles"?...c'mon! ;)

Da Real Rover
16/07/2005, 5:47 PM
It's amazing the self importance some Club's get from being top of the First Division, seriously, Sligo trying to claim Rovers - I'd be conident enough to put a large wager on it that should you mention the name in conversation about Football that 99.9% of people would automatically assume Shamrock Rovers the other 0.1% are unfortunately from Sligo. :D
Im not being self-important thinking that we have a bigger right to being called Rovers than shams do.The fact that we are just top of the first division is not my only point so read the rest. there club is a joke and it has been run like a joke for a long time. But if 99.99% of fans call them Rovers before they call them Shams then i'll accept defeat, but until then their shams (in my mind and everyone elses in sligo). That sh!te about us being called bog rovers is typical shams crap, that the only urban center in Ireland is in Dublin. Read Eammon Sweenys 'Only One Read Army' cause it will do ya a world a good and if that doesnt help you can use it to forcefully remove your head from your ass. There is another world outside Dublin.

joeraki
16/07/2005, 7:05 PM

Polls like that are for nerds that think they are right all the time.

Even better is why not next weekend anyone thats at whatever game they happen to be at, ask the person beside them "How did Rovers get on the weekend" I bet that no one at all will tell you the score of Sligo v Kildare match first

1 9 2 8
16/07/2005, 7:09 PM
"How did Rovers get on the weekend" I bet that no one at all will tell you the score of Sligo v Kildare match first
Unless you're from the north west

sligoman
16/07/2005, 7:17 PM
Unless you're from the north west

or at a first division game ;)