AIDEN McGEADY settled into the comfy sofa in the reception area of the
Burnham Beeches hotel.
The young Celt was there to facilitate the interview request. But you could
be forgiven for wondering if he might just use the opportunity to keep an
eye open for any more new arrivals - especially if they are carrying a kit
bag and a European pedigree.
McGeady is entitled to be apprehensive.
After climbing the ranks into the first team for the final few weeks of
season 2003-04, he gained a firm foothold last term.
But the departure of Martin O'Neill has left youngsters like him, Shaun
Maloney, Craig Beattie, David Marshall and Ross Wallace wondering where they
stand.
They should have a certain degree of optimism that the club do not have a
wealth of funds to replace the experienced campaigners who have departed.
But there remains the nagging doubt that a new boss brings his own ideas.
What has gone before matters not a lot to Bhoys like McGeady under
circumstances which he admits are alien to him.
Strachan has already indicated he will fall back on the kids if he can't
find the number and quality of players he wants.
But until the new arrivals stop, McGeady can only wait and wonder what will
happen next.
Self-confidence has never been missing in McGeady. However, he knows he
faces another huge challenge to establish himself as a serious first team
contender.
Strachan's anecdote while at Old Trafford will give Aiden hope. "I'd give
the kids examples like when Alan Brazil came along to United. A young Mark
Hughes said: 'I want to do better than him and get into the team.' And he
did. I really am hoping the lads here will do well."
The fact Strachan offloaded trialist Djamel Belmadi, because the Algerian
added nothing more than McGeady, confirms this.
McGeady said: "I didn't know the manager had said that, but it is good to
hear. Djamel looked a good player in training, so it's a boost for me."
McGeady said: "The boss wants me to play the same way I did last season. But
now when I pick the ball up, he wants me to be more advanced and inside
whereas before I was out wider."
McGeady would be happy to oblige. But first he knows he must warrant that
opportunity.
"You've got to go for it as it's a massive season," is his upbeat
philosophy. "I wouldn't say a change of boss is disappointing for me. The
change might be good for me, you never know.
When he reflects on his progress last season, including losing his place -
ostensibly to make room for £6m-man Craig Bellamy - McGeady has much to be
pleased about.
"I played more games than I thought I would, that is the main thing. It
tapered off, with Craig arriving and others returning.
"But I did get a Scottish Cup winner's medal as well as a lot of games (25
starts and another 12 as sub), so I just want to build on that this season.
"We've got our first Champions League qualifier on July 27, and that is a
big target for everyone."

Stuttgart88
15/07/2005, 12:32 PM
Not sure if this should be here, or World Football

He's an Irish international so definitely the right place, despite the fact that he plays for a club you're not allowed to mention anymore. :)

I'm going to Fulham vs Gordan Strachan's new club tomorrow & look forward to seeing him play a good part in the game & hopefully see Michael Timlin in action too. I doubt O'Dea, Carroll etc well get a run though.

Orchard Celt
15/07/2005, 2:19 PM
He's an Irish international so definitely the right place, despite the fact that he plays for a club you're not allowed to mention anymore. :)

I'm going to Fulham vs Gordan Strachan's new club tomorrow & look forward to seeing him play a good part in the game & hopefully see Michael Timlin in action too. I doubt O'Dea, Carroll etc well get a run though.

I think its great that Strachan has said he wants McGeady to play a more central midfield roll behind the strikers instead of been stuck out left. At times last year the Celts were crying out for guy who could make it happen in the centre, we have 2 players, McGeady and Petrov but MON always had them on the wing and at times last year the the 2 players were wasted. I think and hope McGeady grabs the chance cause he does look very promising. He's not quite there yet but hopefully with a manager who'll play him in the right position and encourage him to attack more he'll shine.

eirebhoy
15/07/2005, 5:21 PM
Strachan is one of the best coaches in Britain. He made a £27m profit from selling his own buys in his 5 years at Coventry. That suggests the players must have been really improving under him. He really gets the best out of them. O'Neill was a manager, not a coach. He rarely trained the players. Strachan will do wonders for McGeady.

eirebhoy
15/07/2005, 8:04 PM
According to Sky Sports News (http://members.boards.ie/eirebhoy/naka.jpg) Celtíc could be getting Nakamura next week. He is supposedly one of Japan's best players if not their best. He scored this cracker from 30 yards against Brazil last month:
http://x500.putfile.com/videos/d8-1891202369.avi

There's a compilation of him too and he looks an absolute quality player, one of the best free kick takers in the world.

Anyway, if he does sign he'll be a certain starter, as are Petrov and Lennon. There's also Thompson and 6 first team strikers at the club so McGeady will really have to impress to cement a place in the team. Lets hope he does it.

edit - and there's also Pearson to come back from injury.

Plastic Paddy
15/07/2005, 9:06 PM
I've never heard of this chap, sorry Jap

tsk tsk TP, cheap jokes based on race won't do, no matter how innocent they seem. It's zero tolerance from me, I'm afraid. :(

:ball: PP

eirebhoy
15/07/2005, 9:52 PM
I've never heard of this chap, sorry Jap, but if he's as good as you say he is . . . why haven't we heard much about him before now?
I still think McGeady will get a run.
I never really heard of him either but then again, I only recently really learnt about Gilardino. Nakamura was on the front cover of Japan's equivalent of Pro-Evolution 2 of the last 3 years. ;) Zico singled him out as the one to excel in the next World cup. Japan are an absolute quality team, I wouldn't fancy our chances against them and he is probably their best player. Thats enough for me. :) I watched most of the confederations cup and according to this site (http://www.financialexpress-bd.com/index3.asp?cnd=6/24/2005&section_id=29&newsid=2597&spcl=no) Nakamura was 1 of the 2 best players. That just shows, I don't really keep names of Asian players. Here is a compilation, watch it! :

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=nakamura56

BTW - Not a lot of Italians would have really known SWP a few months ago, Chelsea bid £20m for him today.

eirebhoy
16/07/2005, 9:57 AM
Strachan on McGeady:

"He has done well. One night I saw him going up to his room with a tuna sandwich so I intercepted that and told him to get down and speak to me about football.

"So he spent half an hour with me on positional stuff. I went through two sheets of paper.

"We have plans for him. He will probably see more of the ball but he will not be roaming anywhere.

"I don't think there is a player in the world who can go anywhere now. There always has to be a decent shape to your side.

"But there is a certain leeway for certain players and if you have someone with the ability to beat people then you have got to get them on the ball more."

jorge
16/07/2005, 11:02 AM
You've never heard ofr him because he plays for Reggina.I think he's on his way to Spain anyway.

eirebhoy
16/07/2005, 11:50 AM
You've never heard ofr him because he plays for Reggina.I think he's on his way to Spain anyway.
Well you would think that but anyway... ;)

Closed Account 2
17/07/2005, 1:50 PM
Nakamura is a good player, got stamina without being that quick on the ball and has a good eye for a pass. He isnt the sort of midfielder who can go past defenders that regularly tho, passing is the main component of his game.

Saw McGeady play yesterday, he is the opposite so to speak. He can go past players easily and is very fast with the ball at his feet. He had a bit of trouble spotting which passes to make tho and seemed to run out of steam as the game went on. I'd say he merits a place in our squad at the moment, but it could be another season or so before he breaks into the starting 11. He needs more full match experience IMO.

Orchard Celt
17/07/2005, 3:20 PM
BTW - Not a lot of Italians would have really known SWP a few months ago, Chelsea bid £20m for him today.

It really irritates me that Italians think football begins and ends in Milan and Rome. They have such a superiority complex.
What's wrong with calling a Japanese footballer a Jap? Hardly racist, in my book, plus I've spent three weeks there and had a mad time. Great people.[/QUOTE]

And at the same time most English people think the English Premiership is the only league the world cares about and they love nothing better than putting other leagues down.

Qwerty
17/07/2005, 4:25 PM
What's wrong with calling a Japanese footballer a Jap? Hardly racist, in my book, plus I've spent three weeks there and had a mad time. Great people.

To the Japanese it is offensive, like chink would be to the Chinese. Prior to WW2 it wasn't offensive in use but WW2 changed everything...but you could argue they have only themselves to blame on that score.

Plastic Paddy
17/07/2005, 7:43 PM
What's wrong with calling a Japanese footballer a Jap? Hardly racist, in my book, plus I've spent three weeks there and had a mad time. Great people.

Would you call someone from Rawalpindi a "Paki", TP? I doubt it. There is a direct read-across. I've made my point and I hope you see it.

Stuttgart88
18/07/2005, 7:34 AM
I saw the Fulham game too.

McGeady was a bit of an enigma. He has little difficulty getting past players & one bit of skill in particular was the best thing to happen in an otherwise dull game. His crossing was poor though his delivery from corners was good. He didn't show any great turn of pace either.

He still looks lightweight and isn't anywhere near as good at protecting the ball as, say, Duff. He gave the ball away cheaply on quite a few occasions.

He played on the LHS of a midfield 4 but cut into the centre a lot. If Aliadiere had been on his wavelength and Hartson wasn't giving a good impression of a beached whale McGeady's influence would have been greater from this area.

Strachan seemned to spend the whole game directing McGeady & I think McGeady looked genuinley confused at Strachan's instructions.

On Saturday's evidence Kerr has probably been right to keep him in the U21s, though it was only a low-key friendly so who can tell?

Timlin came on with 10 to go & had little chance to impress. I think he replaced Radzincki (?). He looks well able to look after himself though - quite a strongly built guy though not particularly tall.

On Nakamura - he's a lovely player. I saw him for Japan a year ago & he really stood out.

Stuttgart88
22/07/2005, 10:08 AM
McGeady scored for Celt!c last night vs Sporting Lisbon in a 2-2 draw:

From the Daily Record:

The fans' edgy mood was summed up when there were rumblings after the normally blameless McGeady dallied on the ball - a hum of disapproval that turned to a roar of appreciation seconds later when the same player equalised in the 28th minute.

Aliadiere had taken the first shot at goal and when the ball rebounded to the youngster he gathered it with the sole intention of shooting through a ruck of players and catching the Portuguese keeper unsighted at his right-hand side.

Tired&Emotional
22/07/2005, 1:20 PM
Would you call someone from Rawalpindi a "Paki", TP? I doubt it. There is a direct read-across. I've made my point and I hope you see it.

So Pele was Bra, the Pope is Ger and I'm Iri ....would this also be racist??(Japanese, Jap)......pc madness...lets hope no human rights lawyers have stumbled on to this website, eh... :rolleyes: ?

eirebhoy
22/07/2005, 4:14 PM
McGeady's goal was good last night. First touch was excellent and hit it in the very bottom corner where Ricardo had no chance.

Plastic Paddy
22/07/2005, 4:31 PM
So Pele was Bra, the Pope is Ger and I'm Iri ....would this also be racist??(Japanese, Jap)......pc madness...lets hope no human rights lawyers have stumbled on to this website, eh... :rolleyes: ?

"Ger"? "Iri"? Hardly everyday terms, wouldn't you agree? Whoever knew Pele as "bra"? Only a tit, I'd be guessing. :rolleyes: You must be tired and emotional as your point makes absolutely no sense.

You say "pc madness", I say "respect for others irrespective of the differences between us". That means no name-calling based on, amongst other things, race or ethnicity. Irrespective of the intention behind it, I won't tolerate such language when I hear it on the street or at work and I certainly won't on here. If that bothers you, I suggest you post on a forum where I don't moderate.

Qwerty
22/07/2005, 9:53 PM

"Why Sir, Sherry is dull, naturally dull; but it must have taken him a great deal of pains to become what we now see him as. Such an excess of stupidity, Sir, is not in Nature!" - Johnson.