PDA

View Full Version : Sports Bar

fosterdollar
15/07/2005, 11:44 AM
Lads, I hear the Sports Bar is closing today. Any truth to the rumour and any particular reason?

pineapple stu
15/07/2005, 12:30 PM
:confused:

Haven't heard anything (though it's four years since I left college!) Was in there a couple of weeks ago, and it was quiet (as you'd expect in the summer), but sure they get great business during term - can't see it happening...?!

fosterdollar
15/07/2005, 12:32 PM
That's what i would have thought. The jocks used that place very regularly and i remember the ags and science people finding it handy enough. Was it generating funds for the Sports dept? If so, surely they'll miss that cash. They're never closing it to make way for apartments are they ;) :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
15/07/2005, 12:34 PM
They're never closing it to make way for apartments are they ;) :rolleyes:
Nah - sure it must make money. Can't be closing things like that! Grass, on the other hand, doesn't make money...so let's dig it all up!

CollegeTillIDie
15/07/2005, 11:17 PM
Nah - sure it must make money. Can't be closing things like that! Grass, on the other hand, doesn't make money...so let's dig it all up!

Heard that rumour some months ago too. Apparently the Students Centre bar is going to be the new Sports Bar so to speak.

Bald Student
18/07/2005, 11:15 AM
I got a letter about this in the post over the weekend. Hugh Brady and his cabal of evil overlords have decided that since the forum bar was making a loss there was no demand for two bars that side of the campus. This decision was taken without consulting the sports dept. or the sports bar management. The Sports Bar has closed as of last Friday and the sports dept. are not happy about it.

The memorabelia in the sports bar will be moved to upstairs in the Forum which will become the new sports bar. One big change will be that any profits from the bar will go to the students union capital fund and not to the sports clubs. It is a big financial hit for the sports clubs as the well run, profit making, bar is being closed to support the loss making bar.

pineapple stu
18/07/2005, 12:35 PM
So they're effectively moving the Sports Bar? Where's upstairs in the forum exactly - isn't that just meeting rooms at the moment? I think upstairs in the Forum Bar was some sort of function room?

What's happening to the Sports Bar then? I presume he can't build apartments on it?! Can I get another question into the post? :)

Incredible decision. Is there any avenue for appeal?

fosterdollar
18/07/2005, 12:38 PM
It does seem silly alright. Will probably get away with it though because closing the Forum might look worse given that it's newer. Upstairs used to be that red bar used for functions. One of my mates had his 21st there while we were in college.

Bald Student
18/07/2005, 12:56 PM
It does seem silly alright. Will probably get away with it though because closing the Forum might look worse given that it's newer. Upstairs used to be that red bar used for functions. One of my mates had his 21st there while we were in college.Yep, upstairs is currently a function room. It's also much smaller than the sports bar. It can only hold about 150 people. Like the rest of the forum bar (and indeed the whole of the student centre) it was completly under used.

I was at a 21st there not long ago myself, was your friend a hyperactive chemical engineer from Galway by any chance?

fosterdollar
18/07/2005, 12:58 PM
That'd be the very man. His younger brother may have fitted the 'hyperactive' description even more.

Bald Student
18/07/2005, 1:17 PM
That'd be the very man. His younger brother may have fitted the 'hyperactive' description even more.True. If your talking to anyone, that wasn't a 21st however. It was officially a UCD Soccer Supporters Society event. At least, that's what the booking in the bar said.

fosterdollar
18/07/2005, 1:29 PM
Sure thing.

CollegeTillIDie
18/07/2005, 2:31 PM
(HUGH)`Brady Brady Brady : OUT OUT OUT :mad:

Poor Student
18/07/2005, 2:42 PM
One big change will be that any profits from the bar will go to the students union capital fund and not to the sports clubs. It is a big financial hit for the sports clubs as the well run, profit making, bar is being closed to support the loss making bar.

Is it likely to have any impact on the AFC's budget?

Bald Student
18/07/2005, 3:09 PM
Is it likely to have any impact on the AFC's budget?It won't affect the mens' senior team as it pays for itself anyway but the club as a whole could expect its grant to be reduced by a few grand (or at least not increased by as much as it would have been). The Sports Dept. expects to be about 50,000 out of pocket overall.

Colie
18/07/2005, 5:34 PM
Sure it was only roggers heads anyway. Doing some networking, arranging marriages across wealthy families & the like.....