PDA

View Full Version : Tell all the barstoolers you know...

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 10:28 AM
that its gonna be 3 in a row :D

all 3 eL sides have every chance of going through this year, and thats just this round. shels made glentoran look amateur, city pulled off a 2 goal win away from home against an unknown quantity, and the town showed that eL football is rivaled only by scotland (and even then, by one city) as the "other league" on the british isles. as eL fans its our duty to tell this to friends, family, workmates, that guy who asks you for a light... rather than loudly question the parenthood of the langer trying to over take you in a civic TELL HIM.

the eL doesnt get enough media coverage, but together we can make a pretty good grassroots propaganda machine :)

BohDiddley
15/07/2005, 11:28 AM
british isles :eek:

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 11:29 AM
:eek:

get over it, i've never read anything as retarded as the Islands of The North Atlantic

fosterdollar
15/07/2005, 11:32 AM
the Irish Isles will do

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 11:40 AM
the Irish Isles will do

we'll ive heard them called the ****** isles but i dont see why people are confused about the difference between Great Britain (the island, with 3 nations) and the United Kingdom. its called great britain because its the largest of the british isles. cant believe we're having this discussion in what was a positive thread about irish football :rolleyes:

fosterdollar
15/07/2005, 11:42 AM
Neither can I. We're all mad.

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 11:43 AM
Neither can I. We're all mad.

yeah but lets leave that bit out when we tell the barstoolers :D

crc
15/07/2005, 11:49 AM
its called great britain because its the largest of the british isles.no its not. its called Great Britain because it is larger than the other Britain (Brittany, in France).

I'm not a fan of the term 'British Isles', but I couldn't be bothered arguing anymore. Personally, I'd use Britain and Ireland.

I intend to bring at least two non-regulars to Cork City's game next week against Shams.

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 12:00 PM
no its not. its called Great Britain because it is larger than the other Britain (Brittany, in France).

from wikipedia:
"In Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae from the middle ages, the British Isles were referred to as Britannia major and Britannia minor. The term "Bretayne the grete" was used by chroniclers as early as 1338, but it was not used officially until King James I proclaimed himself "King of Great Britain" on 20 October 1604 to avoid the more cumbersome title "King of England and Scotland"."

yes, the similarity in names of Bretagne and Britain comes from the classical opinion that both were inhabited by "brutes" or the descendants of "Brutus the mythological Trojan warrior who was supposed to have conquered the race of giants led by Gog and Magog who inhabited the isles and then occupied it with its followers." but the "great" bit refers to Brittannica Majora, or Great(er) Britain, with "Hibernia" being refered to as "Brittannica Inferior"

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 12:01 PM
I intend to bring at least two non-regulars to Cork City's game next week against Shams.

good work ;) i'll be bringing as many barstoolers as i can round up to the european home game.

pineapple stu
15/07/2005, 12:29 PM
Question is...can they win the three return legs too?

Two of the away ties are out of the way, the teams now know what they're up against...Longford might shut up shop in Carmarthen and settle for 0-0, but other than that, there seems no reason why we can't make it a perfect six? If each team then picked up even one draw in going out in the second round, we'd be up to 3.000 - start doing that every season and we'd be flying!

fosterdollar
15/07/2005, 12:30 PM
other than that, there seems no reason why we can't make it a perfect six? If each team then picked up even one draw in going out in the second round, we'd be up to 3.000 - start doing that every season and we'd be flying!
up to 2.5, would it not be?

pineapple stu
15/07/2005, 12:32 PM
(1+1+1+1+1+1+.5+.5+.5)/3

Yes. You're right... :o

fosterdollar
15/07/2005, 12:33 PM
It wouldn't hurt to start making a habit of getting that score either though.

pineapple stu
15/07/2005, 12:40 PM
True.

12.500 (5 x 2.500) would have you straight through to the second qualifying round of the UEFA and seeded in the Second Round CL draw. That's before you take into account any extra points gained by clubs individually in the non-qualifying rounds. Entering the CL at the Second Round stage would mean it'd be much easier to at least get into the UEFA Cup First Round too.

Jerry The Saint
15/07/2005, 12:49 PM
from wikipedia:
with "Hibernia" being refered to as "Brittannica Inferior"

:eek: :D

And some people don't like the term "British Isles". Maybe we should keep quiet about this one... :)

superfrank
15/07/2005, 12:53 PM
FFS, just call it Ireland, that's the name of this island.

Gavin Zac makes a good point though.

Forza Glentoran
15/07/2005, 1:10 PM
shels made glentoran look amateur

D'you know something? If you boys keep on ****ing your panties about the all-conquering Shels, you might just find yourselves with a rather large humble pie to eat next Wednesday night. Might just bring down a couple of thousand paper plates and napkins with me to Dublin, just in case, eh? :)

thecorner
15/07/2005, 1:10 PM
i'll be bringing as many barstoolers as i can round up to the european home game.

limited tickets so leave em outside..get all the regulars in there

let the barstoolers wait for texts an wander why they werent going all along

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 1:13 PM
D'you know something? If you boys keep on ****ing your panties about the all-conquering Shels, you might just find yourselves with a rather large humble pie to eat next Wednesday night. Might just bring down a couple of thousand paper plates and napkins with me to Dublin, just in case, eh? :)

i cant remember a shot you had on target before the substitutions of your strikers, and if you think i class shels as all-conquering, you dont know me ;)

Forza Glentoran
15/07/2005, 1:45 PM
i cant remember a shot you had on target before the substitutions of your strikers, and if you think i class shels as all-conquering, you dont know me ;)

It's not just your comment which prompted my reply. Most Shels fans were singing "what's it like to be outplayed?" during the first leg. If we were so outplayed, then how come they were only able to score two goals against our "amateurs"? We recently scored FIFTEEN against an amateur/intermediate team. That, my friends, is the true example of a team being outplayed.

I fully expect our two best strikers to start next Wednesday night (Chris Morgan and Michael Halliday), in which case, Shels should be more than a little concerned. Once they came on, we caused panic in the Shels defence. We go to Tolka knowing that we have to score at least two goals. We play better when we are under pressure. For example, we went into our penultimate league game last season, knowing that nothing other than a win against the Blues would do. If they had won that day, they would have been crowned IL champions at our ground. We won the game 3-2, and caused Linfield to suddenly take interest in the Sultana Cup.

Another good example is when we played Linfield in the league in the 2002/2003 season at the Oval. We found ourselves 2-0 down after 9 minutes. We were 3-2 up by half time, and won the game by the same score. So you see, to think this tie is over would be foolish in the extreme.

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 1:50 PM
It's not just your comment which prompted my reply. Most Shels fans were singing "what's it like to be outplayed?" during the first leg. If we were so outplayed, then how come they were only able to score two goals against our "amateurs"? We recently scored FIFTEEN against an amateur/intermediate team. That, my friends, is the true example of a team being outplayed.

if you're proud of only losing by two, and dont count your game plan of kick the ball as far forward as possible as being out classed, then you're welcome to your irrational defence of your team. from a neutral point of view, for 80 minutes you looked like a joke of a side who couldnt keep up with an off-form Shels team. your late surge had as much to do with glen fitzpatrick being ****e as it did with your strikers coming on.

LFC in Exile
15/07/2005, 1:54 PM
Glen Fitzpatrick wouldn't trap a bag of stones. :rolleyes:

town73
15/07/2005, 1:59 PM
to bring the the topic back to last night's games, a special word of thanks to all the fans from rival clubs who came to Flancare Park last night.
Noticed a few from Monaghan United, couple from Bohs, Shamrock Rovers. Think there was some Galway and Athlone fans there too. I'm sure there were more, but it was great to see the solidarity among clubs for European competitions.

dcfcsteve
15/07/2005, 2:57 PM
from wikipedia:
"In Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae from the middle ages, the British Isles were referred to as Britannia major and Britannia minor. The term "Bretayne the grete" was used by chroniclers as early as 1338, but it was not used officially until King James I proclaimed himself "King of Great Britain" on 20 October 1604 to avoid the more cumbersome title "King of England and Scotland"."

yes, the similarity in names of Bretagne and Britain comes from the classical opinion that both were inhabited by "brutes" or the descendants of "Brutus the mythological Trojan warrior who was supposed to have conquered the race of giants led by Gog and Magog who inhabited the isles and then occupied it with its followers." but the "great" bit refers to Brittannica Majora, or Great(er) Britain, with "Hibernia" being refered to as "Brittannica Inferior"

Hibernia (or Ireland) was NOT historically referrred to as 'Britannica Inferior' by anyone bar that idiot Geoffrey of Monouth, and is an historical inaccuracy.

I'm not sure whereabouts on Wikipedia you got the above section, but if you look up under Great Britain you get the historically accepted/accurate version of why there is a 'Great' used in 'Great Britain' :

" There are in fact two "Britain"s: the island of Britain in the British Isles, and the land of Britain in France. In French these are known as Grande Bretagne and Bretagne, in English as Great Britain and Brittany. The word "Great" in this context has its old meaning of "large" as in "the sea was great and vast" or "Greater London". Likewise, the ending "-y" on the end of "Brittany" has the meaning "little", as in "doggy", meaning "small dog", or "Jimmy", meaning "little Jim". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

Da Real Rover
15/07/2005, 5:23 PM
If you boys keep on ****ing your panties Might just bring down a couple of thousand paper plates and napkins with me to Dublin, just in case, eh? :)
Well whatever yer into, was that what yee were doing while yee were outsung in your own stadium on a European cup game. And may i point out a major flaw in your ideas of working better under pressure, those games which you mentioned were all in the Oval, a major factor when your playing.

pineapple stu
15/07/2005, 10:41 PM
Most Shels fans were singing "What's it like to be outplayed?" during the first leg.
Are you actually taking football fans' chants at face value?! :rolleyes: Next you'll be complaining about "You'll never beat the Irish" because Ireland have patently lost games before...

GavinZac
16/07/2005, 9:43 AM
They were called the british isles for thousands of years before there was an english race.

exactly, the saxons invaded the island called great britain.

CollegeTillIDie
16/07/2005, 9:53 AM

1/ Bring all the Glens fans you know to the game, while you're at it, and you will be very welcome.

2/ Irish League fans are like ourselves victims of barstoolers so I think you can relate to our own leagues being slagged off by boozers who never go to a game but never miss "their" team on the Telly in the pub!

Anto McC
16/07/2005, 11:29 AM

We did make you look amateur,there is no doubt about that and make no mistake about it i am not a cocky person and i realise that there is another leg.

ShelsTim
18/07/2005, 6:25 PM
They were called the british isles for thousands of years before there was an english race.

Not only that, but the term "briton" in it's historically accurate sense refers to the race who were ancestors to the modern day Welsh, who inhabited what is now England, Wales and southern Scotland until the various invasions.

GavinZac
20/07/2005, 8:19 PM

AMATEUR

Slash/ED
20/07/2005, 10:23 PM

I fully expect our two best strikers to start next Wednesday night (Chris Morgan and Michael Halliday), in which case, Shels should be more than a little concerned. Once they came on, we caused panic in the Shels defence. We go to Tolka knowing that we have to score at least two goals. We play better when we are under pressure. For example, we went into our penultimate league game last season, knowing that nothing other than a win against the Blues would do. If they had won that day, they would have been crowned IL champions at our ground. We won the game 3-2, and caused Linfield to suddenly take interest in the Sultana Cup.

Another good example is when we played Linfield in the league in the 2002/2003 season at the Oval. We found ourselves 2-0 down after 9 minutes. We were 3-2 up by half time, and won the game by the same score. So you see, to think this tie is over would be foolish in the extreme.

What's it like to be outplayed? :p