PDA

View Full Version : UEFA cup first round first legs

Pages : [1] 2

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 3:33 PM
Cork 1-0 up away to Ekranas, O'Donnavan.

I knew they'd score, they should push for another one, with the form of their attacking players they could get it. Even if they concede one or two they could finish the job in the cross.

EnDai
14/07/2005, 3:39 PM
Between this and last night I'm sitting in work grinning like a maniac! :D If they win tonight I'll actually dance all the way to my bus!!

hoops1
14/07/2005, 3:42 PM
Come on now lads this is a side managed by
Damien' why use one word when you can use 47' Richardson
we all know it could blow up at any minute in typical Rico style

higgins
14/07/2005, 3:54 PM
Yes Rico does have a habit of blowing it but I always liked the way he tried to play football at shels and as Europe has a lot to do with away goals Im sure Cork can find the net in th second half.

Coming back from an away leg with 2 goals is superb even if they grab one back.

Come on CORK!!

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 3:55 PM
half time, still 1-0 to Cork.

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 4:03 PM
I didn't realise it was on this early. Excellent stuff, keep it up Cork! :ball:

paudie
14/07/2005, 4:11 PM
Devine taken off after 10 minutes with a dislocated shoulder.

41 year old Phil Harrington in goal.

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 4:12 PM
Is he your best number two or is there an injury there?

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 4:17 PM
Devine taken off after 10 minutes with a dislocated shoulder.

41 year old Phil Harrington in goal.

Oh dear. :o

higgins
14/07/2005, 4:26 PM
So Devine will be out now for a few weeks or months???...

Not happy that it happened tonight but should be good for other teams in the Eircom League :)

Oh of course I hope he is ok an :p

paudie
14/07/2005, 4:32 PM
Is he your best number two or is there an injury there?

He's goalkeeping coach.

McNulty is injured for a few weeks I think. Don't know how badly. Biscuits was sub for the Bohs game as well and played a bit of the Hibs game( and saved a peno)

Strangely enough Biscuits looks about a stone and a half lighter than he did 10 years ago.

eirebhoy
14/07/2005, 4:38 PM
80 minutes gone still 1-0.

centre mid
14/07/2005, 4:42 PM
C'mon Cork,

This would be a fantastic result

higgins
14/07/2005, 4:47 PM
up to 88 on livescore!! :eek:

what a result this will be. Holding them scoreless after the amount they have been knocking in.

centre mid
14/07/2005, 4:48 PM
And a priceless away goal

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 4:50 PM
And a vital lump of a coefficient point. :D

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 4:51 PM
2-0 according to the Cork forum. O'Callaghan.

eirebhoy
14/07/2005, 4:54 PM
2-0 full time.

Slash/ED
O'Callaghan with the last kick makes it 2-0. That is beautiful.

Poor Student
They've won. Bravo Cork. Shels and Cork have raised the bar, lets hope Longford can meet it.

Troy.McClure
14/07/2005, 4:56 PM
Whatever Shels can do we can do better :p

Now. no pressure Longford, but if ye loose ye'll be loaners :D

higgins
14/07/2005, 4:58 PM
ah fantastic :)

2-0 away from home.. great stuff from Cork against a tough team. Cork had the hardest draw I thought?? Nice to see this happen. They were not even seeded!! Next year we will have all 3 sides seeded now as it looks like the start of a very good year.

Cmon Longford

TheOwl
14/07/2005, 4:59 PM
Well done Cork City!

Complete the hat-trick now Longford.

centre mid
14/07/2005, 5:01 PM
Ah this is brilliant

Well done Cork, expected Shels to get a result last night, but think this was beyond most peoples ( except city fans ) expectations

Well done to all involved :)

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 5:01 PM
That is exceptional.

Well done Cork, and Longford should make it 3 from 3 tonight.

That's good for the co-efficent, and we should have three teams progressing one round at least, is that a first?

Come on Longford, you can't possibley screw this one up, can you? :eek: ;)

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 5:02 PM
Next year we will have all 3 sides seeded now as it looks like the start of a very good year.

We're far from that. We're losing our good year when Bohs beat Aberdeen and Kaiserslautern. We need all the sides to win all games just to hold ourselves at the same position this year.

higgins
14/07/2005, 5:07 PM
Not really..

I know we lose 1.666 but thats 5 wins and then nothing!

at the moment we have 2 wins from 2, leaving 4 more games to get the 3wins. At that stage we might still have 3 teams in the competition.

Shels are going to be seeded anyway because of the draw against Lille but Im sure we cn get past 1.666 no problem now. Only trouble would be Shels and Cork sitting back in the 2nd leg ?

Kingdom
14/07/2005, 5:16 PM
Shels are going to be seeded anyway because of the draw against Lille but Im sure we cn get past 1.666 no problem now. Only trouble would be Shels and Cork sitting back in the 2nd leg ?

To be fair two great results, but neither team is in a position to sit back in the 2nd leg. Shels are only a goal up, if the Glens get one early then anything can happen. COrk are in the superior position but this team aren't romping away in their league for no reason and again an early goal could change things completely.

But hopefully not!!!1 :D

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 5:19 PM
Yeah Shels are in no position to sit back, which could work to our advantage. Hopefully we can win the second leg too.

higgins
14/07/2005, 5:24 PM
We are talking about wins in Europe for coefficient points!!

Shels can sit back take a draw and go into the second round, we can also lose 1-0 and still go into the next round.

Cork can lose 1-0 too and any draw will do them.

Spoken like a true Glens fan. You were all talk before Wednesdays game and you still seem blind to what happened. Its not being arrogant but being fair, you should realsie that both sides can now lose their home legs and still go through.

So of couse they can sit back.

Kingdom
14/07/2005, 5:33 PM
We are talking about wins in Europe for coefficient points!!

Shels can sit back take a draw and go into the second round, we can also lose 1-0 and still go into the next round.

Cork can lose 1-0 too and any draw will do them.

Spoken like a true Glens fan. You were all talk before Wednesdays game and you still seem blind to what happened. Its not being arrogant but being fair, you should realsie that both sides can now lose their home legs and still go through.

So of couse they can sit back.

Eh take a fcuking chill pill man. For a start I'm neither a Glens fan nor a Shels fan. I am using the Glens avatar at the mo, but that could change to an Irish one depending on my mood.
I wasn't doing any talking before Weds game and in my last post here I was pointing out that neither of the two clubs can afford to sit back as anything can happen.

And yes I do realise that both sides can still lose the return and go through , I understand maths et al.

Jesus H Christ,

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 6:39 PM
And we're away in the flan siro.

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 7:01 PM
Linfield are winning 1-0 for anyone who cares. Longford are still drawing 0-0 according to livescore.

eirebhoy
14/07/2005, 7:07 PM
Longford are 1-0 up, Paisley.

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 7:08 PM
Paisley again, he's a good goal scorer for a defender. Usually important goals too.

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 7:09 PM
Thank God. I was getting a bit worried about them. Have we ever had 3 out of 3 in Europe for Irish clubs in one round?

Gareth
14/07/2005, 7:09 PM
is it on radio anywhere?

Sheridan
14/07/2005, 7:14 PM
Bouncy Mouncey has put Linfield 1-0 against Ventspils, Portadown are holding Viking scoreless (or vice versa) at half-time.

Oh wait, Viking just scored.

pineapple stu
14/07/2005, 7:15 PM
FC Vaduz are 2-0 up on a Moldovan side, incidentally!

Have we ever had 3 out of 3 in Europe for Irish clubs in one round?
Don't think so. '84/'85 was a good year - Bohs beat Rangers, Shamrock Rovers and UCD drew with Linfield and Everton. Can't find any other year when we went through the first three games unbeaten actually.

Anyways, plenty of time for Longford to screw up! ;)

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 7:16 PM
All three went out though. If Longford keep or better this score without conceding it's odds on for three teams in the next round, that's definitely never been done before has it?

A face
14/07/2005, 7:17 PM
Come on now lads this is a side managed by
Damien' why use one word when you can use 47' Richardson
we all know it could blow up at any minute in typical Rico style

Kaah-Boom !!!! :D :p

pineapple stu
14/07/2005, 7:18 PM
Have we had two go through before...?

B36 level away to Vestmannaeyar - go on lads! (See sig... :p :o )

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 7:18 PM
FC Vaduz are 2-0 up on a Moldovan side, incidentally!

Hardly surprising. They're a far better side than people gave them credit for with their Liechtenstein tag. They've been in the playoffs to reach the Swiss top division for two years running and there is only one promotion spot.

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 7:22 PM
Have we had two go through before...?

The year we're loseing had Shels beat Skopje and Bohs beat Aberdeen

Hardly surprising. They're a far better side than people gave them credit for with their Liechtenstein tag. They've been in the playoffs to reach the Swiss top division for two years running and there is only one promotion spot.

They had also never won a match in Europe before....que Longford :p

eirebhoy
14/07/2005, 7:22 PM
Yes but before they played Longford they hadn't won a European match ever in their 17 attempts. Maybe they've improved on the last few years though.

pineapple stu
14/07/2005, 7:25 PM
Half time in Longford, according to livescore.

Rhyl 1-0 up on Atlantas (think they're Lithuanian) - interesting scoreline between clubs from our two representatives' opponents' leagues.

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 7:40 PM
Yes but before they played Longford they hadn't won a European match ever in their 17 attempts. Maybe they've improved on the last few years though.

They're rapidly improving. They've flown up the ranks of the Swiss league and any footballing anorak could have seen that result coming. :p

Ostenstad scored against Portadown. Is the Egil Ostenstad who played for Southampton, Blackburn and Rangers? Incidentally Ports are 2-0 down.

higgins
14/07/2005, 7:43 PM
Vaduz were a seeded club this year thanks to the two wins against ongford last year.

They were not playing a great team

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 7:44 PM
2-0 Longford according to xscores.

pineapple stu
14/07/2005, 7:45 PM
They were not playing a great team
You want to ask Pat's fans about the strength of the Moldovan league?! :p

They've won anyway - going to fly up the UEFA rankings (only Liechtenstein team), but doesn't count for CL seedings.