PDA

View Full Version : Vieira on verge of Juve move

drinkfeckarse
14/07/2005, 8:04 AM
Apparently going to be finalised today for a fee of £10m. Surprised they are willing to let him go and especially at that price. They accepted £23m last year from Madrid so it's strange really.

A lot of people are saying he's not the force he once was but the same can be said for Keane. You'd still rather have them than not I would've thought.

Macy
14/07/2005, 8:20 AM
Apparently going to be finalised today for a fee of £10m. Surprised they are willing to let him go and especially at that price. They accepted £23m last year from Madrid so it's strange really.

A lot of people are saying he's not the force he once was but the same can be said for Keane. You'd still rather have them than not I would've thought.
Seems that it wasn't only United fans that thought he didn't perform last season ;) As for the price - well bound to go down now he's been found out.

Stuttgart88
14/07/2005, 8:51 AM
I'll actually be glad to hear the end of the annual Vieira transfer saga. It's not fair to say he's been found out though - I think he's an absolute class player whose temprament is suspect, who sulks too much (especially for a captain) & who has been inconsistent. In his defence I think he suffered for Gilberto's absence throughout last season.

For a top class midfielder I always felt his goal ratio was poor. Quality finishes like against Spurs & Everton this year show he can do it but just not regularly enough. I also think he lacks the killer pass that you'd expect in a quality central midfielder. His ability to retain possession under pressure is amazing though.

As an Arsenal fan I'm actually more disappointed that Edu has left. A fully fit Edu & Gilberto Silva would be great IMO. I wonder are they using the money to contribute to SWP's signing? I really think Arsenal suffer from lack of a quality winger as opposed to the orthodox "wide midfielders" they prefer to use.

I'm also disappointed to hear that Wenger seems intent on acquiring more high-profile but mediocre French internationals. Sometimes I wonder if Wenger is in the payroll of the FFF. I also think he's more intent on trying to get the next "clever" signing to show off his extensive knowledge of world football, at the expense of the obvious local signings. Reyes instead of Duff, nobody instead of Finnan, Almunia instead of Given...

tetsujin1979
14/07/2005, 9:12 AM
Does this mean Fabregas could be a first team regular at 18/19?? Impressive, I have to say!!

Karlos
14/07/2005, 9:28 AM
As for the price - well bound to go down now he's been found out.

There really must be some idiots (i know a few) in world football if it took them 9 years, a world cup, european championship, 2 Double seasons, an unbeaten season and 4 FA Cups (including scoring a winning penalty in one ;) ) to suddenly find out that he's actually not the player he should be :rolleyes:

Using 'Macy-Logic' , Perhaps if Fergie had done the same with the found-out Roy, Utd wouldn't be in the god awful situation they find themselves in now.

As for the actual serious stuff - price is to do with age. The reported fee is actually between £12 - £16 million which if you consider Chelsea paid roughly the same for a similar style and age in Makelele makes complete sence to me. Patrick has been immence for Arsenal in his 9 years and will be sorely missed but he leaves the Arsenal fans with some fantasic memories notably..

Completing the Double in 2002 at Old Trafford with a majestic performance

Skippering us to another League victory at White Hart Lane and Completing an Unbeaten Season by scoring the winning goal

And how could we ever forget that penalty - sh*t scared of Man Utd allegedly but still managed to actually ensure they ended the season potless and again out of the top 2 in the league.

If he goes, then I wish him well and hope he enjoys his european adventure with Juve or Real. Difficult to replace but not impossible.

My sources say there is deals in the pipeline at Highbury. I'm not overly concerned either way, as the banner proudly stated at Old Trafford in 02, WHL in 04 and again in Cardiff this year ..........ARSENE KNOWS!

Stuttgart88
14/07/2005, 9:43 AM
Is it all one way though Karlos? Nothing the the debit column at all?

Karlos
14/07/2005, 9:51 AM
I'll actually be glad to hear the end of the annual Vieira transfer saga. It's not fair to say he's been found out though - I think he's an absolute class player whose temprament is suspect, who sulks too much (especially for a captain) & who has been inconsistent. In his defence I think he suffered for Gilberto's absence throughout last season.

Agree with a lot of this here. I think he probably didn't play as well as his own standards he set in the Unbeaten Season but his stats still prove he was up there and above almost all of the premiership midfielders. I don't go along with this poor season tripe that's been bandied about. He played some exceptional games last year and spent 6 months where he sacrifed his play (usually alongside Fabregas) as he changed to the holding midfield roll.

For a top class midfielder I always felt his goal ratio was poor. Quality finishes like against Spurs & Everton this year show he can do it but just not regularly enough. I also think he lacks the killer pass that you'd expect in a quality central midfielder. His ability to retain possession under pressure is amazing though....

I would agree with you here on his goal ratio. His finishes can be sublime at times - Liverpool Away this year, Rosonborg in the CL, Everton etc.....Not sure if it's more to do with how we play as a team though as both wide players, Ljungberg & Pires appear to get double figures every year. The last real goalscoring central midfielders I remember are Thomas and Rocastle.

I'm also disappointed to hear that Wenger seems intent on acquiring more high-profile but mediocre French internationals. Sometimes I wonder if Wenger is in the payroll of the FFF. I also think he's more intent on trying to get the next "clever" signing to show off his extensive knowledge of world football, at the expense of the obvious local signings. Reyes instead of Duff, nobody instead of Finnan, Almunia instead of Given...

To be fair to Wenger when he signed Pires, Henry, Anelka, Petit & Vieira they were all considered mediocore players. They all left or will leave considered world class and undoubtedly contributed so much to Arsenal success. I think that's has been a good thing and incredibly good business. As it stands we'll make close to £10 million profit on the sale of Vieira plus what we've got out of him over the years. I can't argue with that.

As for the signings, it's no secret we don't spend a lot of cash in the transfer market. Reyes was bought 6 months after Duff had been bought for 17 million cash, Reyes was younger and bought in installments with only 7 million initial outlay.

Almunia was bought as cheap cover for Lehmann - Would Shay Given have been happy sitting on the bench when Lehmann was considered first choice on the back of a unbeaten season. I doubt it.

It's fustrating we don't splash the cash at times but the results we've got doing it that way, I can't argue with. It's fairly safe to say we won't do a Leeds and the most important thing is that we will still have a club to go to, that's owned by good people. As we've seen with the likes of Veron, spashing the cash doesn't guarantee success. However, I do think you'll see Arsenal spending some more money this year.

Stuttgart88
14/07/2005, 10:13 AM
Yeah, hopefully they'll spend it well.

drinkfeckarse
14/07/2005, 10:42 AM
As an Arsenal fan I'm actually more disappointed that Edu has left. A fully fit Edu & Gilberto Silva would be great IMO.

I thought Guti would've been a good replacement for Edu, both similar and both have a cultured left foot.

Karlos
14/07/2005, 11:15 AM
That's a good shout on Guti - could very well still be an option. The player himself had expressed a desire to play for Arsenal recently, allegedly.

ciaran76
14/07/2005, 11:28 AM
I am sure the reason Arsenal where so desperate to sign Alexander Hleb
was that they knew Viera was on his way. ;)

tetsujin1979
14/07/2005, 12:08 PM
I am sure the reason Arsenal where so desperate to sign Alexander Hleb
was that they knew Viera was on his way. ;)

Hleb's more of a wide player than Vieira, I thought when he was signed it was because Pires was on his way

Karlos
14/07/2005, 12:21 PM
Hleb's more of a wide player than Vieira, I thought when he was signed it was because Pires was on his way

Hleb is a right-sided player and has also played behind the front man in a Bergkamp type role. He's competition for Freddie Ljungberg who can also play down the left hand side. He's not a replacement for Vieira should he go, in my opinion.

Arsene About
14/07/2005, 12:35 PM
If Vieira goes, it must mean some type of replacement is being lined up. You don't sell your captain and most experienced player without a bcak up plan in my opinion. Guti from Real would be a good addition to the squad. Does anybody know anything about Zebina or Appiah who are being touted as swap players in the deal?

Karlos
14/07/2005, 4:55 PM
Arsenal agree fee of 13.7 million sterling for Patrick Vieira with Juventus

Orchard Celt
14/07/2005, 5:58 PM

And to think Madrid were offering £20M last season, the guy seemed not really interested anymore with Arsenal this season. But a move to a bigger club and a real chance to win major honours may give him a lift but although I hate Roy Keane as a person, Vieira was not fit to be mentioned in the same sentence as him :o ;) :D

Poor Student
15/07/2005, 12:43 AM
And to think Madrid were offering £20M last season, the guy seemed not really interested anymore with Arsenal this season. But a move to a bigger club and a real chance to win major honours may give him a lift but although I hate Roy Keane as a person, Vieira was not fit to be mentioned in the same sentence as him :o ;) :D

I wouldn't call Juventus a bigger club. They have a pathetic fanbase compared to all the giants of the European game.

sligoman
15/07/2005, 2:10 AM
and good luck to him. What I'm concerned about now is who will Keane have a fight in the tunnel with, now that Paddy is gone? :D, although they will meet in Lansdowne in September;).

ciaran76
15/07/2005, 11:38 AM
Hleb is a right-sided player and has also played behind the front man in a Bergkamp type role. He's competition for Freddie Ljungberg who can also play down the left hand side. He's not a replacement for Vieira should he go, in my opinion.

Henry was a winger when AW bought him. :p So maybe he a role in the middle for Hleb ;)

monutdfc
15/07/2005, 11:43 AM
apparently he gets £6M of this :eek: :eek: :eek:

Karlos
15/07/2005, 12:04 PM
apparently he gets £6M of this :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not according to the press release from Arsenal & Juventus - £14 million directly to Arsenal (see attached)

Juventus have bought out the remaining years of his contract and will pay Vieira for those years as he hadn't handed in a written transfer request.

monutdfc
15/07/2005, 12:30 PM
What about this, about 7 paragraphs down?

http://www.football365.com/opinion/f365_opinion/story_157018.shtml

Is this payment what Juventus are buying out?

Karlos
15/07/2005, 12:40 PM
Juventus had to buy out the remaining 2 years of his contract - currently around 4 million a year and pay that to Vieira. Arsenal do not owe Vieira anything as the buying club holds the registration and agrees to pay the player. Vieira walked to Juve of his own accord and after we accepted a fee of 14 million. Vieira didn't have to accept that offer but he did and Juve need to pick up the players contract from there. He's signed for 5 years - the 2 remaining years of his RAsenal contract plus a further 3 years.

I don't know this Pete Gill guy who wrote the article but I have never heard of anyone else mention Vieira's contract in this way. I do not believe it and neither press release mentions it.

He mentions the 6 million clause in one off the cuff sentence with no back up evidence and then further in the article is taking about how 14 million is to little, surely he'd mean 8 million as that's all he reckons Arsenal are getting. He doesn't even say how he is the only journo who knows and has printed this information.

OwlsFan
15/07/2005, 12:58 PM
Skippering us to another League victory at White Hart Lane and Completing an Unbeaten Season by scoring the winning goal

Hate the use of the word "us" for a foreign club that couldn't care less whether Ireland fell off the map. I'm a Sheff Wed supporter but never could call them "us", which word I use only for Ireland or a local club of which I'm a member.

gustavo
15/07/2005, 1:07 PM
Hate the use of the word "us" for a foreign club that couldn't care less whether Ireland fell off the map. I'm a Sheff Wed supporter but never could call them "us", which word I use only for Ireland or a local club of which I'm a member.
dont start it owls fan its been done to death.

Orchard Celt
15/07/2005, 2:21 PM
I wouldn't call Juventus a bigger club. They have a pathetic fanbase compared to all the giants of the European game.

I'am not saying Juve are massive but they are bigger than Arsenal, far bigger.

Orchard Celt
15/07/2005, 2:27 PM

Funny on another note too I was in Milan in Sept whenever they played the Celts and we had about 12,000 fans there, we watched Juve play some Irseal team on the Tuesday and the crowd was something like 3/4000 and the stadium holds something like 70,000. The bar owner in Milan couldn't believe there was more of us in the square around the Duomo than the match. :o :o

drinkfeckarse
15/07/2005, 2:44 PM
dont start it owls fan its been done to death.

Couldn't agree more.

barglee
15/07/2005, 3:19 PM

i know what you mean.
i wouldnt have anything aganst anyone saying this but personally i follow liverpool and would never really say "us" when talking bout them.... just doesnt seem right.

i also find it embarrassing when people say "congrats" about 'pool winning euro cup- i mean i didnt play!!!!!

Karlos
15/07/2005, 3:36 PM

Fair play to you - I like to use the word 'us' as i'm a member of the arsenal. I'm as proud an irishman as anyone btw.

Watching club football isn't a matter of nationality for me, it's about belonging, enjoyment, history and family tradition which I get in abundence. Arsenal are my club and I'm happy to call them that. Couldn't give a damn if they were from Siberia, they'd still be 'us' to me.