PDA

View Full Version : European cup competions and money

exile
13/07/2005, 11:04 PM
Dolan said tonite it would be worth half million euro's in tv money and sponsership for whoever got throught to meet steau bucharest in the next round. it seems a bit ott to me
was just wondering is this accurate ? and does anyone know whats the situation for the uefa cup and prize money as the teams progress?

jorge
13/07/2005, 11:17 PM
I very much doubt it.I was going to reply to one of the threads disscusing the match.anayway the most you'd get is 300k.

Slash/ED
13/07/2005, 11:26 PM
Assuming the match would be a sell out and that it would be shown in Romania and Ireland it would make a fair amount of money, but 500k? I doubt it would make that much.

dcfcsteve
13/07/2005, 11:39 PM
I think Dolan was just shooting form the hip again, and getting a bit carried away with himself. Seriously doubt if there'd be as much as half a million in it.

There'd be very little money in the TV rights from Romanian stations - the country's not exactly loaded.

BohsFans
14/07/2005, 12:42 AM
Dolan said tonite it would be worth half million euro's in tv money and sponsership for whoever got throught to meet steau bucharest in the next round. it seems a bit ott to me
was just wondering is this accurate ? and does anyone know whats the situation for the uefa cup and prize money as the teams progress?

Whatever prize money a club earns from UEFA, they don't see it until the competition is over, ie next May.

pineapple stu
14/07/2005, 8:27 AM
There'd be very little money in the TV rights from Romanian stations - the country's not exactly loaded.
Or from the gate receipts there.

EnDai
14/07/2005, 9:58 AM
The stadium will be full, 28000 people, they're fanatical about Steaua over there it seems! :)

dcfcsteve
14/07/2005, 12:31 PM
The stadium will be full, 28000 people, they're fanatical about Steaua over there it seems! :)

But does each team not keep their home gate receipts ? In which case the number at the game over there would be irrelevant in terms of Shels income from any such game.

P.S. Call me superstitious - but talk of the 2nd round ain't healthy until you're definitely there...!

exile
14/07/2005, 12:34 PM
being reported in cork local rag evening echo at the moment that city are going to lose 100,000 euro's on this lithuanian tie :eek:

monutdfc
14/07/2005, 12:36 PM
Dolan really is a terrible pundit.
He was asked a question at half time and completely ignored it going on some rant about the stadium instead, making no sense whatsoever. This is par for the course for him, his off-topic rants (ha ha, he must post here under a pseudonym)
At least withhim in the studio we were spared his "jokes" to George.

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 12:37 PM
But does each team not keep their home gate receipts ? In which case the number at the game over there would be irrelevant in terms of Shels income from any such game.

P.S. Call me superstitious - but talk of the 2nd round ain't healthy until you're definitely there...!

You're right on both counts there, you keep your own gate money as it's two legged not like a one off cup competition, and we haven't qualified for anything yet.

pineapple stu
14/07/2005, 1:11 PM
you keep your own gate money as it's two legged not like a one off cup competition
Are you sure? When the European Cup was started, gate receipts were shared between the two clubs (on the insistence, amazingly enough, of Real Madrid, who thought that was a fairer system!), and I don't think that's changed since...?

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 1:12 PM
I'm not 100% sure so you could well be right, that suits whoever meets Steau anyway.

Redzer
14/07/2005, 2:35 PM
Dolan really is a terrible pundit.
At least withhim in the studio we were spared his "jokes" to George.
No we're not! Did you not hear him on about the two things he thought he would never see in European football, One was the lack of pre-match training(Glens only training 2 weeks) and the other was an advertisment board in a football ground for SPAM :) :)

superfrank
14/07/2005, 3:56 PM
Would you rather another Paul Osam? At least he brings a bit of personality to the position and at least he knows something about the EL.

Did anyone else notice Alan Matthews bias? :D

Longfordian
14/07/2005, 4:13 PM
He can be a bit pro-Shels alright. I suppoose seven years there will do that for ya.

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 4:13 PM
Balances out nicely with Pat Dolan so.

Anto McC
14/07/2005, 4:18 PM
Balances out nicely with Pat Dolan so.

So do 4 double decker buses and a giant whale so......

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 4:19 PM
So do 4 double decker buses and a giant whale so......

:D

Very true

liamon
14/07/2005, 4:45 PM
being reported in cork local rag evening echo at the moment that city are going to lose 100,000 euro's on this lithuanian tie :eek:
How can that be?
How is the cost broken down in the rag?
I presume the shed will be closed for the home game, but surely the rest of the ground will be a sell out? At 20 euro a ticket, that's got to cover expenses.
Even if we only get our usual crowd of 4,000 or 5,000, thats 80 - 100k euros. And we'll get UEFA cup money for participating, however much that is.
There's no way this tie can cost 200,000 euro in total.

ShelsTim
14/07/2005, 6:19 PM
Shels made 400k last year from the CL adventure, I don't think it included the UEFA Cup. So, 500k is definitely over the top.

pineapple stu
14/07/2005, 7:23 PM
Even if we only get our usual crowd of 4,000 or 5,000, thats 80 - 100k euros. And we'll get UEFA cup money for participating, however much that is.
That's before programme sales, raffle tickets, shop income...

Troy.McClure
14/07/2005, 8:24 PM
Dolan .... his off-topic rants (ha ha, he must post here under a pseudonym)

You'd be a Crazy one to believe that :eek:

Pineapple, AFIK the City programme LOOSES money! I would assume its tied into sponcership. :confused:

Poor Student
15/07/2005, 12:35 AM
Btw, would Shels be at home first or away if they get through to play Steaua?

Slash/ED
15/07/2005, 12:42 AM
home first unfortunately.

Poor Student
15/07/2005, 12:44 AM
Good for me from a selfish point of view. I'll be away for the 2nd leg. Thanks for the info Slash.

EireBadBoy
15/07/2005, 1:39 AM
Once again the insularity kicks in, Romania is not living in the U.S 80's - it's quiet a viable financial nation but sure we all look down on it!! :confused:

Seriously, it's the same ****e we get all xenophobic about, Romania is pure stokey! It's a currently stable state and currently enjoying all the tourism that comes with ignorance of the Eastern Bloc. Stuea are a succesful team but I hope Shels ( I have nae typed that without Dollar signs in so long *phew*) continue on their Euro journey. Albeit lets hope Romanians are'nt that poor they might try and sell the tie.

Sweet Jaysus!!

CuanaD
15/07/2005, 7:19 AM
How can that be?
How is the cost broken down in the rag?
I presume the shed will be closed for the home game, but surely the rest of the ground will be a sell out? At 20 euro a ticket, that's got to cover expenses.

This was covered in another thread I think. Anyway, Lennox was quoted as saying that the total cost if the trip could be up to 100k & they could loose 18k (gate receipts will probably be around 60-70k, etc etc)
None of that takes into account the participation money from UEFA - 60k I believe - so the club WILL make a profit.

pete
16/07/2005, 10:27 AM
I'd be amazed if any money to be made from trip to Romaina. Romania tv wouldn't pay much. Will also cost a lot to travel there on relatively short notice.