PDA

View Full Version : Weel Done Shels

CorkCityFC_Celt
13/07/2005, 9:39 PM
As a Cork City diehard let me be the first to say well done on a superb performance against glentoran you done Ireland and the Eircom League proud and its great for our game. Lets hope city and longford get wins tomorrow also and we can all go on the p!ss at the weekend. Well done lads.

Slash/ED
13/07/2005, 9:49 PM
Thanks, and hopefully Longford can win tomorrow to boost the co-efficent further. For Cork, I think a high scoring game is what they want. A high scoring draw or a 3-2 loss ala us v Split last year and finish the job in Turners Cross should do it, it's a tough side you're facing so a win away would be a fantastic achievement, just go there to score goals and with the form your players are in you should do it.

Good luck to Longford and Cork tomorrow, hopefully this will be a very good week for the league.

red metal
14/07/2005, 12:24 AM
Well done lads im a Sligo Rovers man my self.but this is what is needed in Irish football. Shel,s and even Cork Longford to do well in these comp,s

glentoranfan
14/07/2005, 10:45 AM
Shels have not won yet, nor have they made some unexplainable achievment. The Glens were clearly ring rusty, having only played two amateur league sides for preperation. Also, our two best forwards who have scored 60 league goals between them were not on until about 20 minutes from the end. As soon as they were on, things started to happen for us. No doubt the Glens will be stronger next week. A one goal deficit can be made up easily a we have seen in the past. There is still a lot of football to be played in Tolka.

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 11:21 AM
It's not a one goal deficit unless the score is 3-2 or higher

higgins
14/07/2005, 4:41 PM
If it was a boxing match the ref would have stopped it after about 70 mins!!

As its football then of course you can come to Tolka and win. Moost teams can cause a shock against anyone. what most are saying on here is that its probably not going to happen.

You accuse Shels of being arrogant but Ive seen nothing but the same from you guys of how you will show us who the real champions are and your manager who is going to win both legs and how you will sing louder then us and we wont know what hit us etc etc etc

The fact is you were outplayed for most of the game and are lucky to be going to Tolka with a 2-1 defeat. You are still in the tie but if shels score then its as good as over. I cant eve see you winning in tolka nevermind win overall but best of luck to you anyway.

glentoranfan
14/07/2005, 7:43 PM
Maybe you need told again. :D Our team are out of season having played only 2 amateur league teams in like 2 months. Also, we did not start with our best strikes, we had our 2 midfielders off due to injury and our LB away on holiday. Therefore, we are VERY ring rusty. Your manager, Fenlon even said we are better are linfailed. ;)

In a weeks time the Glens will be better, Coyle will be forced to play the two best forwards in the league, 2 players will be back from holiday and 2 our 2 midfielders will be back and we will be more match fit. :ball:

Slash/ED
14/07/2005, 7:45 PM
We started without nearly 40 caps and two world cups worth of international players :)

paudie
15/07/2005, 1:27 PM
Well done to Shels on the win on Wednesday night. Played well and deserved to win.

A bit hairy in the last ten minutes though.

Important that Glentoran don't score first (or ideally at all :D) in the second leg.

Drumcondra Red
15/07/2005, 1:51 PM
Maybe you need told again. :D Our team are out of season having played only 2 amateur league teams in like 2 months. Also, we did not start with our best strikes, we had our 2 midfielders off due to injury and our LB away on holiday. Therefore, we are VERY ring rusty. Your manager, Fenlon even said we are better are linfailed. ;)

In a weeks time the Glens will be better, Coyle will be forced to play the two best forwards in the league, 2 players will be back from holiday and 2 our 2 midfielders will be back and we will be more match fit. :ball:

The Glentoran fans kept coming to us saying "don't think this will be an easy game, you won't walk it" etc. etc. Nobody at Shels once said this would be an easy game, but the fact of the matter is that it was an easy game and we should have gone in at half time up by about 4!!!

Now you're boasting that the only preparation was playing 2 amateur teams, WHAT????? Its the fcuking champions league and you've let in 2 away goals, I am now very confident that we can win this tie, and just hope we don't sit back and try to defend, we need to play the same sort of football as the other night!

And might I add, my throat still hurts from singing so loud!!!!!!!! :D :D

glentoranfan
15/07/2005, 4:32 PM
Yes, we were out played, however, Shels have hardly created the biggest upset in football. Come on beating a part time team out of season.

The Glens will be stronger next week with more training, people back from their hols and injury. Oh yes, and Coyle will start with the very best this time, not two forwards that only met for the first time a week ago.

Shels defence was crap, and in the last 20 minutes Shels did not know what hit them. I would say therefore, Shels have to be the favourites, perhaps more so than earlier in the week, but there is still a lot of football to be played and would not be surprised to see the Glens maybe get the win.

Fergie's Son
15/07/2005, 4:50 PM
Definitely still a lot of football to be played but the away goals certain favor Shels. Also, it's in Tolka which will be jammed and rocking. Should be a good game but I think Shels will just nip it.

Drumcondra Red
15/07/2005, 7:37 PM
WTF were you doing allowing 2 players to go on holidays, its not as if you didn't know when the match was!!! ITS THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!!!!!

I don't know :confused:

Anto McC
15/07/2005, 9:20 PM
And might I add, my throat still hurts from singing so loud!!!!!!!! :D :D

Makes a change then.

glentoranfan
15/07/2005, 11:01 PM
WTF were you doing allowing 2 players to go on holidays, its not as if you didn't know when the match was!!! ITS THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!!!!!

I don't know :confused:
Do you not understand that the Glens are a part time outfit. :p Summer is the only time the players can go away with their families etc etc.

Slash/ED
15/07/2005, 11:11 PM
You started training two weeks before this match started. When did your season end? How long is a holiday? Is that not what the time off between the end of season and the start of your pre season training is for?

glentoranfan
16/07/2005, 10:20 AM
The League ended in April 30th, there was a Setanta game a fortnight after that I think. That was the end of the season, so say early to mid May. Training started a fortnight before the game.

OK, he could have went then, but maybe it did not suit with his other job or something.

That is why there is a whole big arguement up here now about summer football and maybe getting the top two or three teams to go proffessional to give us a better chance of success in Europe. However, if you anything about the IFA, you will know they are disorganised and won't allow any chance. :rolleyes:

higgins
16/07/2005, 11:11 PM
What players did you have that didnt play the other night?

Exactly why didnt they play if they were so good and fit. I thought he was forced to play that team.

Whats the expected lineup for next wednesday do you think. You also understand we were a few men down the other night too. Jamie Harris and Joey Ndo didnt play any part while Alan Moore and Jim Crawford hadnt played in months.

Drumcondra Red
17/07/2005, 11:43 AM
Do you not understand that the Glens are a part time outfit. :p Summer is the only time the players can go away with their families etc etc.

Oh yeah, thats a good arguement!!! No excuse they knew when the ties would be played and still went away, I know what I'd rather do!!!

Lux Interior
17/07/2005, 11:48 PM

GF, it's not the CIS Diddy Cup we're talking about here - the Champions League is what we win our own league for.

And yet, we let the IL POTY and our best CB go on vacation when these dates (and our title win) have been known for months ...... :confused: Let's not forget these part-time players are probably earning more turning out for the shirt - on a p/t basis - than you or I are in a month.

Our prep, right down to playing two park teams in the week leading up to this game was pish-poor.

And it showed.

higgins
19/07/2005, 12:44 AM
You all seem to forget you played TNS too ???

Ive seen some posts giving out about the two friendlies but you had 3 didnt you.

15-1 and you still couldnt get out of your own half for over 70mins

paudie
20/07/2005, 4:12 PM
Nearly forgot.

Good luck shels tonight:D

EnDai
20/07/2005, 9:07 PM
Luck? Bah! :D

ccfcgirl
20/07/2005, 9:15 PM
Great result :p

hamish
20/07/2005, 9:32 PM
Brilliant football from the Shels - hope you can overcome Steau Bucharest too.
Looking forward to Cork City and Longford Town's games too - what a great week for the EL.

EnDai
20/07/2005, 9:34 PM
4/4 :) Matched last years co-efficient already! This year ROCKS! :D

CollegeTillIDie
20/07/2005, 10:07 PM
4/4 :) Matched last years co-efficient already! This year ROCKS! :D
Well said this is what matters, cause if Derry or Cork or even Shels are in next year's Champions League qualifiers they will be in a better position than Shels were this year if we can maintain this progress with Longford and Cork getting 2nd leg wins hopefully. A good home result against Steaua Bucharest.... now please lads!

CuanaD
21/07/2005, 10:05 AM
Well done shels - that was a good game - professional - good preparation for Steaua next week - must pick up my tickets today before they all sell out.

That was a great turnout for a first qualifying round match, I estimated 8,000 of us there - when originally the riverside stand was to be closed (limiting capacity to around 5,000!) Expect a full house next week - i hope someone fixes a few of the broken seats on th riverside stand - there were loads broken/missing around us!