PDA

View Full Version : Rovers make charity donation

Passive
13/07/2005, 11:51 AM
Shamrock Rovers 400 Club
Press Release
Issued: 13.07.05

HOOPS DONATE TO WEYMOUTH'S WATERMAN

This evening at the AUL Complex in Clonshaugh, a Shamrock Rovers XI meet English South Conference side Weymouth FC in a friendly (KO 7pm).

It was with great sadness that the 400 Club learned of the tragic plight of Weymouth defender Dave Waterman, whose six-year-old son Oakley is terminally ill with cancer.

As a response to their grave circumstances, Dave and his wife Lorraine are seeking to raise funds to purchase a £32,000 (Eur48,000) respite caravan to help other families affected by rhabdomyosarcoma, the disease contacted by Oakley.

Upon hearing of the situation, the 400 Club trustees immediately agreed to propose that the gate receipts from tonight's game should be donated - with the best wishes and utmost sympathy of everyone at Shamrock Rovers - to the Waterman family's cause.

``When you hear of something as tragic as the events facing Dave and his family, it puts the problems at Rovers in perspective,'' says 400 Club Chair Jonathan Roche.

``Our thoughts and prayers at this time are with Dave, his wife Lorraine and especially young Oakley. We can only wish them the strength to cope with their situation.

``Obviously Dave won't be over here for this game - he has far more important things to do,'' Roche adds, ``but we will be expressing our deepest sympathy to Weymouth's club officials and players.''

Fans attending this evening's game are also encouraged to make personal donations to the Waterman's fund if they so desire.

ENDS

Below is an article on Dave Waterman's plight, taken from Weymouth FC's website, which can be accessed at:
http://www.theterras.co.uk/

Dad's crusade for dying son
By Matt Pitman
Monday 4th July 2005
WEYMOUTH Football Club star Dave Waterman today told of his emotional fundraising appeal for his dying son.
Oakley Waterman, six, has only weeks to live after fighting a three-year battle with cancer.
Popular Terras defender Dave and wife Lorraine now hope to buy a £32,000 respite caravan for families affected by the disease.
They are appealing for donations and plan to set up a charitable fund to buy the £300-a-week static home where the Watermans have been staying with their son.
Brave Oakley contracted rhabdomyosarcoma, which caused a tumour in his pelvis, three years ago and has since undergone numerous operations in his battle with the disease.
But doctors now say his condition cannot be cured and with time running out, Terras star Dave wants to do something to help his and other families.
The ex-Northern Ireland under-21 international, who joined Weymouth from Oxford United last year, told the Echo: "Oakley was diagnosed with cancer when he was three and has undergone countless operations and periods of treatment since.
"He was put in remission after his condition improved but unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse recently.
"Doctors say the size of his tumour is too large to operate on and unfortunately it is only a matter of weeks before Oakley passes away.
"Now it's just going to be a case of making him as comfortable as possible before he goes up to Heaven."
Dave added: "In the past few weeks we've spent time with Oakley living in a holiday caravan near Bognor in Sussex and the new surroundings have given him a tremendous boost and really pepped him up.
"Oakley has told us his wish is for us to buy the caravan to bring some joy to other children and families in similar situations.
"We want to name the caravan after Oakley and set it up as a charity but the problem we've got is that it can take up to three months to go through the proper procedure and we've only got a matter of weeks.
"Instead we plan to raise as much money as possible in Oakley's name and transfer the cash to the charity once we get the go ahead."
Dave, who lives near Portsmouth, said he and wife Lorraine are drawing strength through the way brave Oakley is coping.
"Oakley has been brilliant," said the former Portsmouth player.
"He gets pain now and again but he has been really brave.
"He thinks he'll get the chance to play football every day in Heaven and meet some of his friends again who he got to know in hospital before they died.
"The hardest part has been when Oakley recently asked us why he was not getting better.
"It is difficult knowing what to say in those circumstances."
Channel Islander Dave, who was born on Guernsey, said he is grateful for support from team-mates and club officials at the Wessex Stadium.
"Everyone at Weymouth has been brilliant and once the inevitable happens and we get through the mourning process, I'm looking forward to returning," he said.
"Oakley has told me he wants me to carry on my football career and that's what I intend to do.
"Lots of players from around the game have got in touch to offer support and I'm also grateful to our manager Garry Hill who has assured me I have a future with Weymouth which has been really nice to hear."
Captain Matt Bound, who also played with Dave at Oxford United, said: "Dave's a brilliant guy who thinks the world of Oakley.
"Whatever happens over the next few weeks, we're behind him all the way and will do what we can to help."
Anyone wanting to support Dave's appeal can send cheques, payable to Oakley Waterman, to Church Farm Holiday Village, Pagham, Chichester, Sussex, PO21 4NR.
Alternatively you can make a donation via paypal by visting www.oxvox.org.uk (The Oxford United Supporters' Trust - Dave's former club)
ENDS
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 11:54 AM
Fair play to Rovers, they need the money too, great gesture. Of course no one in the media will pick up on this because Rovers are scum who only go around battering people :rolleyes:

joeSoap
13/07/2005, 11:55 AM
Well done Rovers...Fantastic gesture. Well done!! :cool: :ball:

EnDai
13/07/2005, 11:57 AM
Marvellous gesture! Can't describe in words how good that is, particularily at a time when Rovers need the money themselves. Fair play to all involved, truly magnificent gesture! :ball:

Longfordian
13/07/2005, 12:06 PM
Fair play Rovers. Nice gesture.

Anto McC
13/07/2005, 12:07 PM
Fair play to Rovers,Great gesture

dcfcsteve
13/07/2005, 12:10 PM
Is the game tonight?

Great gesture - but surely unwise to go up against Glens v Shels and Liverpool v TNS on the telly, as would dent the gate at the Weymouth game.

De Town
13/07/2005, 12:17 PM
Fair play to Rovers for this :ball:

Poor Student
13/07/2005, 1:11 PM
God knows Rovers need every cent they can get right now even if the amount is not big. A very great gesture. Would Hyland or someone who enjoys reporting Rovers' miseries care to include this in their rag for a change?

Passive
13/07/2005, 1:34 PM
Is the game tonight?

Great gesture - but surely unwise to go up against Glens v Shels and Liverpool v TNS on the telly, as would dent the gate at the Weymouth game.

There's 40 or 50 Weymouth fans over for the game and Rovers will probably bring 100 or so (game in the AUL complex, virtually impossible for most people to get to). It's a fiver a head in so your looking at Eur800 - 1000. Not huge money but every penny helps.

Da Real Rover
13/07/2005, 2:41 PM
Fair play to Rovers, they need the money too, great gesture. Of course no one in the media will pick up on this because Rovers are scum who only go around battering people :rolleyes:
Wheres the moral brigade now, they seem to have gone un-charactaristicly quiet. Good cause, and we'll done to Sahms.

Wiseguy
13/07/2005, 2:47 PM
Well done Rovers a very nice gesture indeed.

carrickharp
13/07/2005, 3:00 PM
Nice one lads, fair play to you.

Passive
13/07/2005, 3:03 PM
Wheres the moral brigade now, they seem to have gone un-charactaristicly quiet.

Indeed. I went on gypoweb presuming that F&F, Bard and all the other drones would be falling over themselves to congratulate us, but apparently not. They probably think it's a trap and that we're actually going to attack Dave Waterman, burn the caravan down and then get the last bus back to Phibsboro just in time to rape some locals.

In fairness though, F&F and Bard say it best when they say nothing at all.

Dee75
13/07/2005, 3:07 PM
I hope this makes tomorrow papers. Great to see :D

Cosmo
13/07/2005, 3:24 PM
I wonder will the herald cover it tomorrow :D

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 3:27 PM
I wonder will the herald cover it tomorrow :D

Well I wouldnt know, coz I wont be buying that peice of.... :mad:

exile
13/07/2005, 3:35 PM

what no cynicism from you :p :p :p :D

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 3:51 PM
Im an angel dont ya know? :)

Fair Play Award of the Month To Shamrock Rovers and thier fans :)

PS L@nger Exile :D

student
13/07/2005, 4:21 PM
Fair play to the 400 club. Classy gesture considering rovers troubles, but it does put things in perspective

hamish
13/07/2005, 8:07 PM

Ian Ridley of the Observer was Weymouth chairman last season and is still involved with the club Troy. Expect something in a while in that paper about this - if its printed then we will have a foreign paper writing something positive about EL football while local papers ignore Rovers' marvellous efforts for that poor child, God love him and his family.

Bravo to the Hoops - for that wonderful deed alone I hope you solve your own problems and honour the EL with your presence for eons to come.

I always feel that humanity is at its greatest when one's own problems are put aside to aid others.

dcfc_1928
13/07/2005, 8:10 PM
What a fantastic gesture by Rovers.

I hope that the media publicise this - they're always quick to publish negative stories.

Well done to the 400 Club!

:)

A face
13/07/2005, 10:09 PM
Would Hyland or someone who enjoys reporting Rovers' miseries care to include this in their rag for a change?

You can bet your house on it that they wont ..... spineless lot that they are !! :(

BohsFans
14/07/2005, 12:37 AM
Indeed. I went on gypoweb presuming that F&F, Bard and all the other drones would be falling over themselves to congratulate us, but apparently not. They probably think it's a trap and that we're actually going to attack Dave Waterman, burn the caravan down and then get the last bus back to Phibsboro just in time to rape some locals.

In fairness though, F&F and Bard say it best when they say nothing at all.

In fairness to rovers I wouldn't put that past youse. SCUM

Billy Lord
14/07/2005, 12:51 AM
Five Bohs fans turned up and we beat the **** out of them and stole all their money. But in fairness we handed the total of 28c over to Weymouth.

Roverstillidie
14/07/2005, 11:45 AM
In fairness to rovers I wouldn't put that past youse. SCUM

blah blah blah

same old boyezzzz, always whinging.

very tiresome

NY Hoop
14/07/2005, 12:41 PM
When you hear something like that it puts everything in perspective.

Will the papers pick on it? LOL! :D :D

KOH