View Full Version : best of luck glentoran

Pages : [1] 2

thecorner
12/07/2005, 7:00 PM
get one over on the thugs.....

De Town
12/07/2005, 7:08 PM
are ye really that stupid down in langerland? shouldnt ye be hoping for a shels win so it will make it easier for ye next year if ye win the league?

i hate shels aswell but i still want them to do well..... :rolleyes:

Gerrit
12/07/2005, 7:30 PM
I also wish Glens the best and may the best team win (Shels :D )

But most of all: may the audiences both in the ROI as in the North be the true winners. Let's give sectarianism the boot tomorrow, on a symbolic day (right after the Orange Marches) and continue building bridges cross-border.

Drumcondra Red
12/07/2005, 7:54 PM
Eh, Gerrit, the marches are today, the 12th, the 13th is a quite day up the North

glentoranfan
12/07/2005, 8:19 PM
Eh, Gerrit, the marches are today, the 12th, the 13th is a quite day up the North
Correct. It is a quite day. A lot of people go on holiday to avoid the 12th, the parades were all today and a lot of people will be recovering from their hangovers. I can assure you that there will be no trouble.

Looking forward to the game and thanks 'the corner for your best wishes' :)

Poor Student
12/07/2005, 8:19 PM

Very small minded. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

CorkCityFC_Celt
12/07/2005, 8:43 PM
Correct. It is a quite day. A lot of people go on holiday to avoid the 12th, the parades were all today and a lot of people will be recovering from their hangovers. I can assure you that there will be no trouble.

Looking forward to the game and thanks 'the corner for your best wishes' :)

Corner is a typical fool that doesnt have a clue. Im a season ticket holder at Cork City and hope Shels batter Glentoran. Shels will do it for Ireland and prove something to all in the North. The Glentoran fans will be nursing a bigger hangover when shels batter them never mind the hangovers ffrom sectarian marches like the joke of orange parades.

glentoranfan
12/07/2005, 9:20 PM
Yes, it was nice talking to you to. I don't want this to become a poltical thread, but people can march etc. if they want to, and not march because people think they are wrong.

I hope my team disapoint you and have every confidence in their ability to do so. If there is any trouble to be caused tomorrow, it will be because of more Shelbourne fighting. A right bunch of yobs from what I read.

Troy.McClure
12/07/2005, 9:40 PM
A right bunch of yobs from what I read.

Nah, $hels are nobs, its Rovers that are the yobs :p

Here's hoping for more co-efficient points for the eircom League

Lux Interior
12/07/2005, 9:52 PM
Corner is a typical fool that doesnt have a clue. Im a season ticket holder at Cork City and hope Shels batter Glentoran. Shels will do it for Ireland and prove something to all in the North. The Glentoran fans will be nursing a bigger hangover when shels batter them never mind the hangovers ffrom sectarian marches like the joke of orange parades.

Just like they bestrode the Setanta like the colossus they reportedly were.

Thing is, chucks, no-one up here holds Shelbourne in the same kind of awe and reverence as is apparent by fans of EL clubs.

Plus, we can't let the booos get one up on us now, can we? :)

Gerrit
12/07/2005, 10:04 PM

Really mature :rolleyes: You comment on sectarianism in the North by making a sectarian comment yourself, how ironic :D

CollegeTillIDie
12/07/2005, 11:29 PM
Yes, it was nice talking to you to. I don't want this to become a poltical thread, but people can march etc. if they want to, and not march because people think they are wrong.

I hope my team disapoint you and have every confidence in their ability to do so. If there is any trouble to be caused tomorrow, it will be because of more Shelbourne fighting. A right bunch of yobs from what I read.

My wish is for Shelbourne to beat Glentoran not for any other reason than to improve our UEFA Coefficient. I am sure you would feel the same if Linfield were playing in this competition...it would make it easier for your team next season if they did well this season... etc.

Lux Interior
12/07/2005, 11:44 PM
My wish is for Shelbourne to beat Glentoran not for any other reason than to improve our UEFA Coefficient. I am sure you would feel the same if Linfield were playing in this competition...

No.

I begrudge Linfield winning anything, even a training session.

Not tewwibly PC, but the thought of that shower winning a corner in Europe is stomach-churning.

Which was why the Setanta final result was galling.

sligoman
13/07/2005, 12:47 AM
Good luck to Glentoran tomorrow night, I hope the best team wins;).

glentoranfan
13/07/2005, 11:05 AM
No.

I begrudge Linfield winning anything, even a training session.

Not tewwibly PC, but the thought of that shower winning a corner in Europe is stomach-churning.

Which was why the Setanta final result was galling.
Correct. Glentoran NEVER want linfailed to win anything, unless it be against for example, our nearest rivals in a competition, knocking then out or something. Usually they are closest rivals, so that does not come about often. I have a lot of friends who are bluemen and we have some good craic about it, but I don't want their team to win, and they don't want my team to win. It's the way it is.

thecorner
13/07/2005, 12:00 PM
Correct. Glentoran NEVER want linfailed to win anything, unless it be against for example, our nearest rivals in a competition, knocking then out or something. Usually they are closest rivals, so that does not come about often. I have a lot of friends who are bluemen and we have some good craic about it, but I don't want their team to win, and they don't want my team to win. It's the way it is.

likewise with shels

best of luck

sadloserkid
13/07/2005, 1:58 PM
I hope Shels win tomorrow night. I'll always cheer for the Irish side in Europe and that would hold true even if Cobh Ramblers or my least favourite side Dundalk were playing.

I love Ireland a lot more than I hate Dundalk, it's sad to see that not everybody shares that view.

Lim till i die
13/07/2005, 3:43 PM
I love Ireland a lot more than I hate Dundalk

You what :eek: :eek: :D

Anyway may the best team win, may that team hopefully be Shelbourne and may the ordinary working class North and South who follow the game prove to the politicians that sectarianism is just unimportant old fashioned bullspit to them

Gerrit
13/07/2005, 4:01 PM
I love Ireland a lot more than I hate Dundalk, it's sad to see that not everybody shares that view.

No. it's normal. Bitter rivalry is deeper than domestic pride usually. Just ask a fan of ****** if he wants Rangers to do well in Europe, just ask a Barcelona fan if they would ever support Real Madrid for the sake of Spanish football...

I hate Anderlecht from the bottom of my heart and I support against them even if it means Belgium has one entrant less in Europe.

Castle Barracks
13/07/2005, 5:10 PM
What's with all this general dislike of Shelbourne?

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 5:45 PM

You could write a book on that!

Chairman is a convect, manager is a moany prat, coach is a complete tosser who tries to fight with everyone after the game, team of Judas thugs who surround the ref after each decision is given against them, no fans and those that they have are mainly 10 year old kids running around screaming on the pitch after games, won one of their last leagues after going in to FAI HQ and searching through thier rivals records to see if they could get them docked points on a registration technicality, shady overtones going on about thier move to a new ground, play the Dream Team regularly, (domestically dominant reciently).

All in all, no one likes them! But lets keep this on topic. Bring home the coefficient points $h€l$ :eek:

glentoranfan
13/07/2005, 6:09 PM
They don't seem like a nice bunch of people then. I heard about the fights, but the rest :eek:

hamish
13/07/2005, 9:33 PM
No. it's normal. Bitter rivalry is deeper than domestic pride usually. Just ask a fan of ****** if he wants Rangers to do well in Europe, just ask a Barcelona fan if they would ever support Real Madrid for the sake of Spanish football...

I hate Anderlecht from the bottom of my heart and I support against them even if it means Belgium has one entrant less in Europe.

Great article on Anderelcht and Bruges in the latest 442 magazine Gerrit.

I've always had a soft spot for the Glens and while I support Shels tonight 'cos their representing the EL I also would support IL clubs in their European games - just a shame that we have EL v IL today.

Lads, I don't give a flying fcuk about Rome or Royalty - one thing that unites us football fans is our love of the local game and local clubs- North and South. After the entertainment of tonight and the Setanta, we really do need a joint league - so a few suits and blazers would lose their positions - who'd be crying? :)

Bravo to Shels and the Glens for a terrific game of football - the game just flew by. Great atmosphere too.

I don't think the Glens will win the tie overall but, if they do, I'll be supporting them as I will back Shels when/if they do.

Now, if only Athlone Town could.......... :( Better stop now before the masochism kicks in :D

PS - just seen Pat fenlon interviewed by Sky Sports Chris Skudder or whateverhe'scalled, from The Oval and they also showed a plane going in to land - how the hell do you Glens fans put up with that - that plane seemed awful low. :eek:

Lossie Glens
13/07/2005, 11:13 PM
they also showed a plane going in to land - how the hell do you Glens fans put up with that - that plane seemed awful low. :eek:

Every year someone will say "One of these days, one of those fooking planes is gonna crash into the stand". Belfast city airport is literally just across the dual carriageway, occupational hazard of supporting the Glens. :p :D

hamish
13/07/2005, 11:23 PM
Every year someone will say "One of these days, one of those fooking planes is gonna crash into the stand". Belfast city airport is literally just across the dual carriageway, occupational hazard of supporting the Glens. :p :D

There's smart assed reply there somewhere Lossie but I'm too slow to dig it out. :D

Seemed a good crowd in the stands - 5, 6 , 7000 at the game?

I know you're feeling down at the score but that was one of the most excitiing, enjoyable games of footie I've seen in years. I've always liked the Glens and look forward to games in St. Mels....oooops.... Golden Island Park between Athlone and Glentoran in the future.
Just give us a chance to finish building it. LOL :D

Edit - just seen on BBCtext that there were 2.500 at game - seemed a lot more than that.

Lux Interior
14/07/2005, 4:18 AM
There's smart assed reply there somewhere Lossie but I'm too slow to dig it out. :D

Seemed a good crowd in the stands - 5, 6 , 7000 at the game?

I know you're feeling down at the score but that was one of the most excitiing, enjoyable games of footie I've seen in years. I've always liked the Glens and look forward to games in St. Mels....oooops.... Golden Island Park between Athlone and Glentoran in the future.
Just give us a chance to finish building it. LOL :D

Edit - just seen on BBCtext that there were 2.500 at game - seemed a lot more than that.

Shels had probably around 4-450 at game. Our crowd was restricted, so - yeah - approx 2,500-3,000 at game.

Beaten by a better side :( :mad:

harpskid
14/07/2005, 9:58 AM
my least favourite side Dundalk were playing.

What have you against Dundalk SLK?

Lionel Ritchie
14/07/2005, 10:15 AM
The case against Dundalk - The Corrs, The long walk shopping center, The Corrs, Oriel, the corrs ..oh and did I say the corrs.

The case for -Jinx Lennon.

the fors have it. :cool:

sadloserkid
14/07/2005, 10:24 AM
What have you against Dundalk SLK?

I get on well enough with most of them but there's a sizeable minority of their travelling support who are just more aggressive than I'm comfortable with. They abuse the officials (but far more sincerely and nastily than I do myself), they abuse the opposition players and support, they abuse their own players, they abuse each other...

I remember seeing a picture of some of them beating the hell out of each other in Buckley Park at one stage and it just summed them up for me.

Nice tradition and all but no... not my favourite team.

What's with all this general dislike of Shelbourne

Basically the other 'big' clubs are jealous that despite their meagre fan base Shels are run far better than they are and accordingly have taken a position in or around the front of the Irish game. Ollie Byrne and the rest are all factors but they're all factors that would be overlooked and ignored if Shels were crap too.

glentoranfan
14/07/2005, 11:40 AM
The Glens were beaten by a better side. They were clearly ring rusty and made mistakes. Also, the gaffer did not have our two best forwards on (who have scored 60 league goals between them) until he subbed them with 20 minutes or something to go. As soon as he did that things started to happen, but it was too little too late. No doubt Coyle will have to put them on for the away tie and the team I feel will be better in a week with more training. Two friendly matches against two amateur league sides is not preperation for a European Cup match against a full-time side.

The tie is not over yet. As I say the Glens will be better in a week, and a one goal deficit can be easily made up as we have see time and time again. There is still a lot of football to be played.

Poor Student
14/07/2005, 11:46 AM
Also, the gaffer did not have our two best forwards on until he subbed them with 20 minutes or something to go.

Why didn't he?

glentoranfan
14/07/2005, 11:53 AM
I don't know. They scored 60 goals in the league between them! As soon as they came on, there was a goal, we were the atacking side, if there was more time on the clock we could have got a few!

Coyle is a good manager. He has 13 league winning teams to his name and god knows how many other Irish Cups, Co. Antrim Shields and League Cups, but sometimes he does some weird stuff. Still, you can't really say anything bad about a guy with his record and he turned the Glens around from our period if trouble in the 90s.

Gerrit
14/07/2005, 9:06 PM
You'll have to score in the first half or it's over... By the way, credit to your goalie. It's thanks to him Shels did not get more goals. Seems like a young lad, how old is he ?

higgins
14/07/2005, 9:29 PM
He was your second choice up until halfway through last season wasnt he? Anyway as was said before you looked the weaker side for 70mins and even if you did finish the stronger Im not too sure if that was all down to your great strikeforce.

The second after the second goal went in we changed and didnt work nearly half as hard for each other. sitting back and giving to the ball time and time again. It did have something to do with your play too as you came at us a bit more but had it been 0-0 after 70mins Im sure we would have kept it going.

Thats not an excuse as you fully deserve to lose when you relax that much but all Im saying is at 0-0 you wouldnt have got back into the game that easy.

Troy.McClure
14/07/2005, 9:53 PM
The tie is not over yet. As I say the Glens will be better in a week, and a one goal deficit can be easily made up as we have see time and time again. There is still a lot of football to be played.

Ya but can you get 2 without conceeding? :confused:

EnDai
14/07/2005, 9:54 PM
Just watched the video there, was too tired last night, not gonna delve into mad detail cuz its all been said, but...:

Parkhouse's elbow on Hawkins' was clearly deliberate, he swung his elbow forciably back at a height above his own head, aware that Hawkins was there as not 2 seconds earlier they'd been challenging for the ball.

McCallions woeful dive to get Stuey Byrne booked was also a bit sickening.

Lux Interior
15/07/2005, 11:04 AM
He was your second choice up until halfway through last season wasnt he? Anyway as was said before you looked the weaker side for 70mins and even if you did finish the stronger Im not too sure if that was all down to your great strikeforce.

The second after the second goal went in we changed and didnt work nearly half as hard for each other. sitting back and giving to the ball time and time again. It did have something to do with your play too as you came at us a bit more but had it been 0-0 after 70mins Im sure we would have kept it going.

Thats not an excuse as you fully deserve to lose when you relax that much but all Im saying is at 0-0 you wouldnt have got back into the game that easy.

Halliday and Morgan were first choice strike partners from early on last season. Coyle - as he also did versus Longford - is under the impression that EL defenders are moulded from granite and stand around 6ft6, which is why he deploys Parkhouse who, although sizeable, does not seem to mix it as he should.

Halliday is lightweight and slow but wonderfully gifted around goal. Morgan's other asset (besides his goal return) is his vision which in IL terms, is unmatched. Regardless of whether Shels slowed up or not, Morgan is able to outsmart EL defenders and to not play him - and Halliday - was baffling, particularly as Parkhouse and Tolan have never played upfront together before. I am convinced that we would have fashioned more chances had these two been playing from the off.

We didn't lose the game upfront anyway but through two individual errors at the back (the second one, dubious at best), our first choice CB and LB being on vacation (!!!), by deploying a weak right winger at left wing (nope, me neither) and by playing a reserve right back at right midfield. Ultimately, though, we were beaten by a collectively fitter and technically better side but this was enhanced over the first 70 minutes by the bizarre-ish team selection.

EnDai
15/07/2005, 1:42 PM
Has any Glentoran fan seen the penalty repeated on TV? Please watch it, its stonewall. I'd be the first to say dubious, a la Harris' goal in Tolka vs Cork, but there can be no doubts.

That said, Leeman caused 2 goals for us you might say, but he kept us from scori ng on several more occassions!

pineapple stu
15/07/2005, 1:43 PM
Has any Glentoran fan seen the penalty repeated on TV? Please watch it, it's stonewall.
Definitely. Should have walked too. Ref probably gave him benefit of the doubt that there was a defender a few yards to his left and let him away with a yellow.

Drumcondra Red
15/07/2005, 4:58 PM

They'll never admit it, but the truth behind the dislike of Shelbourne is simply jealousy, thats all!

Troy.McClure
15/07/2005, 5:13 PM
Has any Glentoran fan seen the penalty repeated on TV? Please watch it, its stonewall.

Not as much as the red card for the elbow earlier :eek: Just how he got a yellow for that I'll never know, its not like the ref missed it :confused:

They'll never admit it, but the truth behind the dislike of Shelbourne is simply jealousy, thats all!

Hate to disappoint you but theres so much to it than that (even if it might be a small factor). Things like Olli€ giving the Pats fans the 2 fingers a few years ago, it all builds up.

Surely even a lot of Shels supporters dont like Oily Ollie?

glentoranfan
15/07/2005, 5:28 PM
Definitely. Should have walked too. Ref probably gave him benefit of the doubt that there was a defender a few yards to his left and let him away with a yellow.
I know Leeper made a bad tackle and the penalty was a cert. Infact, I was surprised he did not walk. I made no attempt to defend Leeper.

The point I made was he made a howler, and give a penalty away, which a bishop could do. He might have give two away, but stopped seven or eight more.

Leeman rarely plays like that. It was a one off and no doubt he will show the form that made him player of the year last year and Ulster footballer of the year 2005. He is one of the most honest lads on the field.

pineapple stu
15/07/2005, 11:49 PM
I know Leeper made a bad tackle and the penalty was a cert. In fact, I was surprised he did not walk. I made no attempt to defend Leeper.
'Twas Lux Interior who was doubting the penalty, not you.

glentoranfan
15/07/2005, 11:59 PM
Fair enough, my mistake :rolleyes: I am a Glenman and I am saying it was a penalty and maybe he should have walked. However, like I say, he rarely plays as bad as that is a honest guy.

Lux Interior
16/07/2005, 8:30 AM
'Twas Lux Interior who was doubting the penalty, not you.

Having not seen any television footage and being sat right in line with the incident, my view is that Crowe played for this, going down as if hit by a £10k fine and 6 point reduction.

The actions of the number 15 have maybe prejudiced this view :)

pineapple stu
16/07/2005, 8:35 AM
Having not seen any television footage and being sat right in line with the incident, my view is that Crowe played for this, going down as if hit by a £10k fine and 6 point reduction.
Suppose he learned from McCAllion getting Byrne booked in the first half! ;)

Tobe honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the new super(er)-fat Crowe found a burst of five yards too much for him and was about to keel over with exhaustion anyway, but it was a penalty.

CollegeTillIDie
16/07/2005, 10:55 AM
I know Leeper made a bad tackle and the penalty was a cert. Infact, I was surprised he did not walk. I made no attempt to defend Leeper.

The point I made was he made a howler, and give a penalty away, which a bishop could do. He might have give two away, but stopped seven or eight more.

Leeman rarely plays like that. It was a one off and no doubt he will show the form that made him player of the year last year and Ulster footballer of the year 2005. He is one of the most honest lads on the field.

To be fair the lad had a good first half he blocked everything... shame about the second half

Drumcondra Red
17/07/2005, 12:23 PM
Hate to disappoint you but theres so much to it than that (even if it might be a small factor). Things like Olli€ giving the Pats fans the 2 fingers a few years ago, it all builds up.

Surely even a lot of Shels supporters dont like Oily Ollie?

There is, but we just don't get as exasperated as others seem to, you just have to push him to the back of your mind, thats all!!!

Anto McC
17/07/2005, 2:19 PM
There is, but we just don't get as exasperated as others seem to, you just have to push him to the back of your mind, thats all!!!

OLLIE IS GOD in my eyes and will never do any wrong as far as i'm concerned,Don't mind Drums Red he's just telling you what you want to hear :D

Drumcondra Red
17/07/2005, 6:33 PM
OLLIE IS GOD in my eyes and will never do any wrong as far as i'm concerned,Don't mind Drums Red he's just telling you what you want to hear :D

He wouldn't let me off the bus for a slash the other day either!!!!