PDA

View Full Version : Bigots disrupt Minute sSilence at GAA Game

gspain
12/07/2005, 12:42 PM
Front Page of the Herald last night (albeit a slow newsday) was about a minority of sectarian bigots disrupting the minutes silence in memory of the London Bomb victims at the GAA Ulster final. There were pro IRA chants etc.

Fair play to the GAA for having the minutes silence. However it appears to have been a big tactical blunder as the chanting etc was apparently clearly audible on the BBC coverage.

The most interesting thing for me in the article was that RTE edited out the boos and chants.

Castle Barracks
12/07/2005, 12:55 PM
SHAME on them!

Dublin12
12/07/2005, 12:59 PM
Backward northie gaa mugs :rolleyes: :mad:

pete
12/07/2005, 1:13 PM
Not much can say to low life like them.

Heard the GAA considering cancelling other minutes of silnce as cannot keep their fans from disrupting.

Eire06
12/07/2005, 1:42 PM
Front Page of the Herald last night (albeit a slow newsday) was about a minority of sectarian bigots disrupting the minutes silence in memory of the London Bomb victims at the GAA Ulster final. There were pro IRA chants etc.

Fair play to the GAA for having the minutes silence. However it appears to have been a big tactical blunder as the chanting etc was apparently clearly audible on the BBC coverage.

The most interesting thing for me in the article was that RTE edited out the boos and chants.
Why fair play to the GAA??? :confused: they should do it automatically.. :confused:
This is a disgrace..
It did not happen at any of the other finals or any of the EL matches (as far as I know) just this one..
I think the clubs should be punished in some way to show that this kind of behavour will not be tolerated..

Also was the RTE right to cut the booing and chants out or should they have shown them??

I think they should have shown them because tyrone or Armagh fans (don't know which section was making the noise) will be shown up and there might have been more pressure for the fans or clubs to be punished....

monutdfc
12/07/2005, 1:50 PM
A bit off-topic, but my mother lives on the Clones Road out of Monaghan and every time there's a big game in Clones the rubbish left on the roadside is a disgrace. But even worse is the amount of people who think they are allowed to go to the toilet wherever they like. Last time Armagh played in Clones I lost count of how many mickeys I saw (not that I was actually counting mind you). Worst was the guy ****ing against a shop front in broad daylight in the centre of Monaghan, while his taxi waited on him. Or the guy who couldn;t stand up while he took a pee in Castleblaney. Not to mention the loads of people who use our front hedge as a toilet.
Hence the booing of the minute's silence does not surprise me at all.

roboyle
12/07/2005, 2:00 PM
I was at the match on Sunday... when you've got silence a single voice can be heard quite clearly and some people disrespectfully took this as a chance to roar for their team - they only did 45 secs of silence before the announcer thanked the crowd but even of that, there was only about 10 secs of actual silence. I didn't hear any 'republican' calls/heckles, most shouting c'mon Armagh/Tyrone and a few shouts for Peter Canavan... there really is no excuse for it, minority or not.
As for Clones, while not excusing the actions of those that defecate/urinate in the town, there needs to be a few public toilets put in somewhere in the town... with c. 30,000 people coming out of one place at the one time, it's strange that there's no where for them to 'go'. I'd say the same problems arise for people around Croke Park and Lansdowne Road - public amenities are just not available. If I could avoid it, I wouldn't go within an asses roar of Clones - it's a horrible place to get in and out of....

Macy
12/07/2005, 2:00 PM
Also was the RTE right to cut the booing and chants out or should they have shown them??
They were totally wrong if they cut it and didn't pass comment on it. They're supposed to be an independant tv station not a propaganda machine for the GAA - and the only possible justification for cutting it could be to protect the GAA.

Not entirely surprised tbh - I mean if you were a PIRA supporter wouldn't it be a bit hypocritical considering how many times the RA had London as a target?

WeAreRovers
12/07/2005, 2:35 PM
This 'story' was written by Mick McCaffrey and as such has zero creedence whatsoever. He has another one in tonight's Herald with the same rubbish - 'Bertie Blasts Mindless GAA Fans' when in fact Bertie doesn't 'blast' anyone in the quotes.

Will someone please put Mick McCaffrey out of my misery?

KOH

Lionel Ritchie
12/07/2005, 4:00 PM
I was at the match on Sunday... when you've got silence a single voice can be heard quite clearly and some people disrespectfully took this as a chance to roar for their team - they only did 45 secs of silence before the announcer thanked the crowd but even of that, there was only about 10 secs of actual silence. I didn't hear any 'republican' calls/heckles, most shouting c'mon Armagh/Tyrone and a few shouts for Peter Canavan... there really is no excuse for it, minority or not.
As for Clones, while not excusing the actions of those that defecate/urinate in the town, there needs to be a few public toilets put in somewhere in the town... with c. 30,000 people coming out of one place at the one time, it's strange that there's no where for them to 'go'. I'd say the same problems arise for people around Croke Park and Lansdowne Road - public amenities are just not available. If I could avoid it, I wouldn't go within an asses roar of Clones - it's a horrible place to get in and out of....

Would the people spilling the thirty odd thousand out onto the streets (having just lightened the thirty odd thousands wallets) not think of putting in a few more toilets and maybe renting a few portaloos to place at strategic points around the town while they're at it?

gspain
12/07/2005, 4:13 PM
It was a brave decision by the GAA to have the minutes silence given the bigotry of the officialdom in Northenr Ireland. Having 11 yearolds play for the Gerard and Martin Harte memorial cup, Peter Canavan on SF election literature and bringing the cup for a media shoot with Joe Cahill who masterminded the murder of many innocent people in London and elsewhere in his day.

The southern GAA have stood up to the NI contingent on Rule 21 & Rule 42 and voted them down each time.

RTE were clearly trying to protect the GAA by their editing. Does anyone think they'd do it for a domestic football match?

WeAreRovers
12/07/2005, 4:22 PM
Having 11 yearolds play for the Gerard and Martin Harte memorial cup, Peter Canavan on SF election literature and bringing the cup for a media shoot with Joe Cahill who masterminded the murder of many innocent people in London and elsewhere in his day.

What's wrong with any of that? Ask any GAA fan in the north and they'll tell you nothing.

And Joe Cahill a murdering mastermind? Without Joe Cahill there would have been no IRA ceasefire and no Peace Process. But hey, forget hurling, demonising Republicans is the real national sport down south. :rolleyes:

KOH

exile
12/07/2005, 4:29 PM
What's wrong with any of that? Ask any GAA fan in the north and they'll tell you nothing.

And Joe Cahill a murdering mastermind? Without Joe Cahill there would have been no IRA ceasefire and no Peace Process.
KOH

without joe cahill how many inncoent civilians lives would have been spared by scum fein/ira bombs scumbags sick of all these scum fein/ira halfwits rabbiting on about how they have some sort of moral superiority becasue of the cease fire :rolleyes:

Eire06
12/07/2005, 4:34 PM
going off topic lads!!
I can see the thread being locked by the mods if this discussion goes on like this.. :(

Back ON TOPIC
Do you think Armagh and Tyrone should be punished for this?
Or even the fans by banning them from going to a few matches!

Lionel Ritchie
12/07/2005, 4:45 PM
yeh why not? That should settle their fcukin manners for a while.
if this was Football we'd never hear the end of it ...hooligan supporters etc...

Do I think the GAA will do anything like that? :rolleyes:

hamish
12/07/2005, 5:07 PM
yeh why not? That should settle their fcukin manners for a while.
if this was Football we'd never hear the end of it ...hooligan supporters etc...

Do I think the GAA will do anything like that? :rolleyes:

Same old, LR. same old - one law for football and another law for other field games.

At this stage, I don't give a fiddler's fcuk about the Irish media - I have Footie where you guys really know what's going on in the game here and abroad.

It's a forlorn hope - if all football fans stopped buying Irish papers then there might be a change or two - ah, one can only dream. :(

Eire06
12/07/2005, 5:20 PM
Same old, LR. same old - one law for football and another law for other field games.

At this stage, I don't give a fiddler's fcuk about the Irish media - I have Footie where you guys really know what's going on in the game here and abroad.

It's a forlorn hope - if all football fans stopped buying Irish papers then there might be a change or two - ah, one can only dream. :(

What are you on about :confused: stop buying papers what have they to do with it?? :confused:
Did you stay out in the heat too lokg sirH

hamish
12/07/2005, 6:19 PM
What are you on about :confused: stop buying papers what have they to do with it?? :confused:
Did you stay out in the heat too lokg sirH

I was replying to Lionel Richie Eire06 - football is always in the firing line when there is any trouble while other sports get the softly softly treatment. That's why I don't bother with Irish broadsheets - Star is ok for local Footie TBF.

If football fans stopped buying Irish papers when they smear football - proper criticism is fine - there might be a chance that fair coverage would ensue. Problem is - we'd have to include fans of cross channel to have an effect - unlikely.

Got a little sun LOL - probably p!$$ing in Galway city Eire06 - mostly did the 4 years I lived there. Don't put away your wellies. :D :p

PS Did you ever see that sign as you approach Loughrea from an Eastern direction - "You are now entering cowboy country". LOL
I expect a really nice reply to that. :D

gspain
12/07/2005, 6:39 PM

And Joe Cahill a murdering mastermind? Without Joe Cahill there would have been no IRA ceasefire and no Peace Process. But hey, forget hurling, demonising Republicans is the real national sport down south. :rolleyes:

KOH

Without Joe Cahill there would have been no need for the peace process. He had the blood of dozens of innocent people on his hands.

I agree that many GAA fans in NI see nothing wrong with having 11 yearolds play for a cup named after 2 IRA men killed on active service in 1988 however I see that as a big problem.