PDA

View Full Version : Island Games Football Results etc.

Réiteoir
11/07/2005, 6:01 PM
Group 1:

Saaremaa 2 (0) V 1 (0) Åland

Scorers - Saaremaa: Andrus Koplimae 58, Martti Pukk 73
Åland: Jonas Blomqvist 84

Venue: Strom

Shetland Islands 4 (1) V 0 (0) Falkland Islands

Scorers - Shetland Islands: Goal Duncan Bray 1, John Montgomery (pen) 36, Stuart Hay 51, Leighton Flaws 84

Venue: Gilbertson Park

=========================================
Group 2:

Guernsey 3 (2) V 0 (0) Orkney

Scorers - Guernsey: Dominic Heaume 30, Neil Clegg 60, Joby Bourgaize 90

Venue: Cunningsburgh

Greenland 0 (0) V 0 (0) Ynys Môn

Venue: Harbison Park

Orkney 1 (0) V 2 (1) Greenland

Scorers - Orkney: Steven Poke 76
Greenland - Brian Thomsen 10, Peri Fleischer 84

Venue: Unst

Guernsey 2 (1) V 1 (1) Western Islands

Scorers - Guernsey: Goal Ryan-Zico Black 45, 49
Western Islands: Gordon Morrison 8

Venue: Cunningsburgh

Réiteoir
11/07/2005, 6:08 PM
Upcoming Fixtures:

Mon 11 Jul 18:00 Group Stage:
Harbison Park: Isle of Man vs Saaremaa
Seafield: Åland vs Shetland Islands

Tue 12 Jul 14:00
Burra: Western Islands vs Greenland
Harbison Park: Orkney vs Ynys Môn

Tue 12 Jul 18:00
Sandwick: Åland vs Isle of Man
Strom: Saaremaa vs Falkland Islands

Wed 13 Jul 14:00
Burra: Greenland vs Guernsey
Fraser Park: Ynys Môn vs Western Islands

Wed 13 Jul 18:00
Boddam: Falkland Islands vs Isle of Man
Seafield: Shetland Islands vs Saaremaa

Thu 14 Jul 14:00
Boddam: Western Islands vs Orkney
Seafield: Guernsey vs Ynys Môn

Thu 14 Jul 18:00
Gilbertson Park: Isle of Man vs Shetland Islands
Sandwick: Åland vs Falkland Islands

shedite
11/07/2005, 7:59 PM
Think I'll be a greenland supporter :D

dcfcsteve
11/07/2005, 9:36 PM
How do you qualify for this (bar the obvious point of being an island...) ?

I've always thought it would be good to have an Isle of Man team playing in a senior league somewhere. No reason why not a league in Ireland, but they'd probably prefer England for the potential of it. Would help with the island's waning identity and put it on the map (particularly if they ever made Europe).

Réiteoir
11/07/2005, 9:41 PM
How do you qualify for this (bar the obvious point of being an island...) ?

I've always thought it would be good to have an Isle of Man team playing in a senior league somewhere. No reason why not a league in Ireland, but they'd probably prefer England for the potential of it. Would help with the island's waning identity and put it on the map (particularly if they ever made Europe).

They have their own League - but as with everything - cost would be too great for the IOM FA to compete in League football.

as for qualification - you have to be an Island or suchlike territory.

There are 24 members in the Island Games Association (IGA)

Aland
Alderney
Bermuda
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Faroe Islands
Froya
Gibraltar
Gotland
Greenland
Guernsey
Hitra
Isle of Man
Isle of Wight
Jersey
Orkney
Prince Edward Island
Rhodes
Saaremaa
Sark
Shetland Islands
St. Helena
Western Isles
Ynys Mon

http://www.islandgames.net/content/members-map.html

Réiteoir
11/07/2005, 9:47 PM
1.4 There will be no more than twenty-five Member Island Associations in the IGA.

1.6 An Applicant Island must meet the following criteria: -

(a) the Applicant Island must be surrounded by sea water; and

(b) the Applicant Island’s geographical situation must be shown to inhibit regular
and ready access to participation in competition in other communities; and

(c) the Applicant Island must be able to adequately compete in at least two of the listed sports; and

(d) the Applicant Island would not normally be accepted if the resident population exceeded 125,000 inhabitants at the time of its application

Gerrit
11/07/2005, 11:37 PM
Pity that Sark are not competing this time. Would have been great to see them coming up again (only 600 people on the island, still formed their own team but lost 19-0 and 18-0 in their last participation)

I support Greenland for obvious reasons (my arctic passion), with Falklands as second.

PS: Greenland, Gibraltar, Jersey and Falklands all showed interest in affiliating with FIFA. Greenland can affiliate as soon as they have a stadium that meets all criteria (and they're working on it), Jersey cannot at the moment because they're seen as too close to mainland UK, and Gibraltar and Falklands try to overcome political objections from Spain and Argentina.

hamish
11/07/2005, 11:47 PM
Lads, do the Malvinas/Falkland islands play much and wasn't there some bloke from the islands playing in the Argentinian league - I think I read that in World Soccer magazine a couple of years ago???

dcfcsteve
12/07/2005, 12:16 AM
1.4 There will be no more than twenty-five Member Island Associations in the IGA.

1.6 An Applicant Island must meet the following criteria: -

(a) the Applicant Island must be surrounded by sea water; and

(b) the Applicant Island’s geographical situation must be shown to inhibit regular
and ready access to participation in competition in other communities; and

(c) the Applicant Island must be able to adequately compete in at least two of the listed sports; and

(d) the Applicant Island would not normally be accepted if the resident population exceeded 125,000 inhabitants at the time of its application

Wonder why it's limited to 25 islands - and why the body has such a British and Scandinavian bias ?

I love the clarification in 1.6(a) that you must be surrounded by 'sea water'. As opposed to 'tap water', I presume.....? :confused: :D

I'd question whether either the Isle of White, Ynys Mon and possibly also the Isle of Man meet criteria 1.6 (b) though. Absolutely no reason in the world why Ynys Mon's physical location, in particular, prevents it playing in the League of Wales (it's separated from the mainland by no more than 500 metres of water, and directly connected by a bridge). It's miles nearer the majority of League of Wales teams than the South-West Wales clubs are !

Reitor - the Isle of Man is one of the wealthiest parts of these islands. I'd even assert that it's probably the single wealthiest island in these parts. No reason in the world why they coudln't afford to have a team playing in a senior league in England or elsewhere. A lot of teams fly to games these days (e.g. Southampton and Portsmouth when playing any team north of the West Midlands) so it's not as if they'd be unique. Their journey over for games in Merseyside would be relatively painless....

The Isle of Man used to host a Summer tournament in the 80's for invited clubs (The Isle of Man Tournament). They'd have one from each of England, Ireland and Scotland (possibly elsewhere as well) and an Isle of Man team would take part as well. Bohs played in it in the early 80's, for example.

I think it would be superb for Mannin's identity as an island - particularly it's nascent ****** identity - if they had a standard bearer like a senior football team to rally around.

P.S. No Scilly Isles ? Now there's a case of geography dictating against football....
P.P.S. I've often thouhgt it would be interesting if an 'An Gaeltacht' soccer team was formed and looking to play in the EL - rotating games between Donegal, Galway and Kerry. I'm sure TG4 would love them... :)

superfrank
12/07/2005, 9:13 AM
Cmon Saaremaa!

(I have forgotten the Estonian words I picked up there)

If I remember correctly, they only speak Estonian there as in noone there had any English, German, etc.

Réiteoir
12/07/2005, 12:00 PM
I'd question whether either the Isle of White, Ynys Mon and possibly also the Isle of Man meet criteria 1.6 (b) though. Absolutely no reason in the world why Ynys Mon's physical location, in particular, prevents it playing in the League of Wales (it's separated from the mainland by no more than 500 metres of water, and directly connected by a bridge). It's miles nearer the majority of League of Wales teams than the South-West Wales clubs are !

The Isle of Man used to host a Summer tournament in the 80's for invited clubs (The Isle of Man Tournament). They'd have one from each of England, Ireland and Scotland (possibly elsewhere as well) and an Isle of Man team would take part as well. Bohs played in it in the early 80's, for example.

I think it would be superb for Mannin's identity as an island - particularly it's nascent ****** identity - if they had a standard bearer like a senior football team to rally around.

P.S. No Scilly Isles ? Now there's a case of geography dictating against football....
P.P.S. I've often thouhgt it would be interesting if an 'An Gaeltacht' soccer team was formed and looking to play in the EL - rotating games between Donegal, Galway and Kerry. I'm sure TG4 would love them... :)

The Isle of Man Tournament still takes place - nowadays they only play Football League sides.

And there used to be a team from Anglesey in the League of Wales until recently - Cemaes Bay

Formed in 1976 to play in the Anglesey League, Cemaes initially played on the Wylfa Power Station sports and recreation field, and then on a pitch adjacent to a local hotel. The School Lane field was purchased in 1998.

In 1991 Cemaes were promoted to the Welsh Alliance and also captured their first trophy, the Cookson Cup. Two years later in 1993 the club won the Welsh Alliance.

Cemaes Bay progressed rapidly to join the Cymru Alliance in the 1993-94 season. The following season 1994-95 they were Champions and promoted to the League of Wales.

Major ground improvements were completed to bring the School Lane facilities up to LoW standards.

Despite some notable scalps Cemaes found the going tough in the LoW, their highest finish being 12th in 1996-97. The club relied almost exclusively on players from the Merseyside area. The following season they were hit by financial difficulties which led to the departure of the travelling players. Cemaes finished bottom and were duly returned to the Cymru Alliance.

A change of emphasis occured and under the management of Bangor based Paul Whelan the club have strengthened to finish sixth in 1998-99 and third in 1999-2000.

Behind this first team are several youth and children's sides, plus a ladies section, all of which augur well for the future of Cemaes Bay football club. However Cemaes were rocked by the departure of Paul Whelan in June 2002 in response to the club not wishing to return to the LoW.

Schumi
12/07/2005, 12:06 PM
I love the clarification in 1.6(a) that you must be surrounded by 'sea water'. As opposed to 'tap water', I presume.....? :confused: :D
Lake water I assume.

Réiteoir
12/07/2005, 12:08 PM
Jersey cannot at the moment because they're seen as too close to mainland UK.

Incorrect - as Guernsey are currently in the process of obtaining FIFA Membership.

The reason that Jersey aren't applying at the moment is that their National Stadium, Springfield Stadium, is not yet up to FIFA Standard - something which will be carried out for next year's Muratti game against Guernsey.

Footes Lane, which is the Guernsey National Stadium has already been redeveloped - and meets FIFA Standards

dcfcsteve
12/07/2005, 12:31 PM
And there used to be a team from Anglesey in the League of Wales until recently - Cemaes Bay

Conclusive proof then that there aren't geographical barriers to them playing in the LOW, and that they therefore don't meet the qualification criteria for the Island games.....

Ynys Mon out ! :D

hamish
12/07/2005, 4:13 PM
This is the kind of footie thread that I love - brilliant stuff guys. Amazing.
A big thanks. :)

pineapple stu
12/07/2005, 4:23 PM
Cemaes Bay just finished bottom of the Welsh Second flight with five points (and were then deducted three points) all season; however, next year (http://www.welsh-premier.com/cymru_alliance/info_ca.php), there will be five teams from Anglesea (including Holyhead Hotspurs and Llanfairpwll etc.) in the league.

Réiteoir
12/07/2005, 4:30 PM
Cemaes Bay just finished bottom of the Welsh Second flight with five points (and were then deducted three points) all season; however, next year (http://www.welsh-premier.com/cymru_alliance/info_ca.php), there will be five teams from Anglesea (including Holyhead Hotspurs and Llanfairpwll etc.) in the league.

Yep - the Cymru Alliance.

Winners apply for promotion to the LOW - all dependent on ground standard, etc.

Réiteoir
12/07/2005, 4:31 PM
Conclusive proof then that there aren't geographical barriers to them playing in the LOW, and that they therefore don't meet the qualification criteria for the Island games.....

Ynys Mon out ! :D

Meh - Newport (Isle of Wight) play in the Doc Martens League Premier Division and also enter the FA Cup.

Club teams from Jersey and Guernsey also compete in the FA Cup

Gerrit
12/07/2005, 5:08 PM
I always wondered why Shetland Islands never tried to obtain FIFA membership. After all, they're far away from Scotland mainland, have an own FA and league, ... If the Faroes can, sure the Shetlands can as well !

Last month the annual Island Cup between the tiny Pacific isles of Christmas Island and Keeling Islands was held (Christmas won for the 5th time in a row), why don't they enter the Island Games ? Sure they're too small for FIFA (?? even the Vatican will enter FIFA and they have less people than Christmas Island and Keeling Isl.) but why not the Island Games ?

Islands not yet competing but that could apply for the Island Games, and where I am sure that soccer is played:

Svalbard/Spitsbergen
Hawaii
St-Pierre & Miquelon
Easter Island
Nauru
Bornholm
Scilly Islands

Note: I left out the ones already in FIFA (eg Maldives, Comores, ...), I left out the ones that are soon joining FIFA (eg Tuvalu) and the ones of which I am not sure if they play soccer (eg Tristan Da Cunha, Ascension, Norfolk)

As I stated before, I think Falklands and Gibraltar should not be competing here, they should compete in official FIFA tournaments. It the FIFA allows Palestine and Taiwan in despite political objections from other members, then they should do the same with Falklands and Gibraltar. Who are Spain and Argentina to have the right to prevend other countries from playing football ?! :mad:

Réiteoir
12/07/2005, 9:45 PM
Latest Scores:

Group 1:

Åland 1 v 3 Shetland Islands

Scorers - Åland: Linus Blomster 21
Shetland: Ross Jamieson 22, John Montgomery (Penalty) 33, James Johnston 60

Venue: Seafield

Isle of Man 2 v 2 Saaremaa

Scorers - Isle of Man: Johnny Myers 2, Gavin Faragher 89
Saaremaa: Dmitri Kulikov 38, Martti Pukk 60

Sent Off: Rainer Veskimae (Saaremaa) 47

Saaremaa 1 v 2 Falkland Islands

Scorers - Saaremaa: Dmitri Kulikov 49
Falkland Islands: Martyn Gilson-Clarke 3, Wayne Clement 80

Venue: Strom

Åland 0 v 1 Isle of Man

Scorer - Isle of Man: Johnny Myers 27

Venue: Sandwick

=============================================

Group 2:

Orkney 0 v 2 Ynys Môn

Scorers - Ynys Môn: Robyn James Hodgkinson 4, Gareth Parry 90
Sent Off: Sion Parry (Ynys Môn) 34

Western Islands 4 v 4 Greenland

Scorers - Western Islands: Alasdair Mackay 57, Gordon Morrison 66, Gordon Morrison 88, Murdo Maclennan 89

Greenland: Salomon Thomassen 2, 37, 66, Leifeeraq Karlsen 50

Venue: Burra

Réiteoir
12/07/2005, 9:46 PM
Group Table:

Team Points
Shetland Islands 6
Isle of Man 4
Saaremaa 4
Falkland Islands 3
Åland 0

Team Points
Guernsey 6
Greenland 5
Ynys Môn 4
Western Islands 1
Orkney 0

pineapple stu
13/07/2005, 12:46 PM
Where's this taking place? Unsurprisingly, the venue names mean nothing to me!

dcfcsteve
13/07/2005, 12:47 PM
Where's this taking place? Unsurprisingly, the venue names mean nothing to me!

Shetlands

Gerrit
13/07/2005, 3:02 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the local league is dominated by the team from the local bank's employees. Kinda TNS-esque... I will search around for a website on Shetland football with pictures of the grounds, I have come across one about a year ago, maybe I have the URL written down somewhere...

Thunderblaster
15/07/2005, 8:50 PM
Throw Achill Island into the equation!! :D

Gerrit
15/07/2005, 10:26 PM
we want the Skellig Islands !! :D

CollegeTillIDie
17/07/2005, 7:05 PM
The Blaskets could feature 11 trained goats or sheep... :D I'll get my coat

Gerrit
17/07/2005, 7:29 PM
Bull Island has 5 houses on it... If some of these few people have children, they may have just enough people to form a team :D

Maybe if third-generation people can play because of their roots, currently uninhabited (previously evacuated) St-Kilda could form a team as well...

AFAIK Nova Zembla has 1 or 2 very tiny hunting settlements, so has Wrangell Island, and the South Georgia/South Sandwich Islands have the permanently populated weather station Grytvyken... More potential participants ! :)

Gerrit
17/07/2005, 7:30 PM
BTW, wasn't there an off-coast oil rink in the North Sea on which some Scottish dude settled down to form an own state ? I think it was called Atomia or something... He's still the only inhabitant AFAIK :D

Réiteoir
17/07/2005, 7:38 PM
That'd be Sealand

Sheridan
17/07/2005, 7:53 PM
That'd be Sealand
Sounds like Sealand, alright. A fascinating anomaly. It's actually a platform constructed upon a sunken barge in the North Sea, declared a sovereign state by its one-time sole resident ("His Royal Highness" Paddy Roy Bates.) Bates no longer lives on Sealand, which is now adminstered by his son (who once unilaterally declared war on the United Kingdom by firing on a nearby British vessel. A British court's subsequent refusal to prosecute Master Bates (!) on the grounds that it did not fall within its jurisdiction forms the basis of Sealand's claims for sovereignty.) The island also suffered a an attempted coup by a group of mainly Dutch nationals, resulting in an all-out war (including a helicopter attack) which necessitated the intervention of the German government to secure the release of one "P.O.W."

anto eile
19/07/2005, 3:00 PM
Sounds like Sealand, alright. A fascinating anomaly. It's actually a platform constructed upon a sunken barge in the North Sea, declared a sovereign state by its one-time sole resident ("His Royal Highness" Paddy Roy Bates.) Bates no longer lives on Sealand, which is now adminstered by his son (who once unilaterally declared war on the United Kingdom by firing on a nearby British vessel. A British court's subsequent refusal to prosecute Master Bates (!) on the grounds that it did not fall within its jurisdiction forms the basis of Sealand's claims for sovereignty.) The island also suffered a an attempted coup by a group of mainly Dutch nationals, resulting in an all-out war (including a helicopter attack) which necessitated the intervention of the German government to secure the release of one "P.O.W."
:D :D :D :D