PDA

View Full Version : Plasma

shedite
11/07/2005, 2:14 AM
Anybody know if there's any difference between plasma screens and plasma tv's???

Someone suggested that the only difference is that a plasma screen can be used with a computer, while a plasma tv can't. Anyone got any other ideas?

dahamsta
11/07/2005, 3:22 AM
If they said it exactly like that they're a blowhard, "plasma screen" is just a synonym for "plasma tv". That being said, although plasma displays for computing are still relatively rare, displays designed for TV won't work well with computers, and vice versa. Just like LCD displays and LCD TV's. Computers and televisions just work differently currently - different resolutions, etc - although that'll change in time and they'll converge.

adam

dcfc_1928
11/07/2005, 8:26 AM
We have a Plasma screen at work - its not a Plasma TV as it does not have a TV Tuner.

To watch TV on it, you'd have to attach an external tuner (like a VCR).

Maybe thats the difference? Essentially they are are the same thing though.

patsh
11/07/2005, 8:43 AM
TV in this country is PAL, which has 625 lines.

Computer monitors have a 1,000 lines, which is why computer monitors always flicker when seen on TV.

The "lines" I refer too are the number of horizontal lines laid out from top left to bottom right of a screen to make up the picture.

pete
11/07/2005, 9:08 AM
I thought LCD was the future now. Plasma old technology?

Jim Smith
11/07/2005, 9:39 AM
TV in this country is PAL, which has 625 lines.

Computer monitors have a 1,000 lines, which is why computer monitors always flicker when seen on TV.

The "lines" I refer too are the number of horizontal lines laid out from top left to bottom right of a screen to make up the picture.
I always thought that the flicker was because the refresh rate of the computer monitor and the sampling rate of the camera were not in sync rather than the variation in the horizontal line number.

dahamsta
11/07/2005, 11:18 AM
I thought LCD was the future now. Plasma old technology?LCD came long before plasma, it just wasn't applied to televisions in the mainstream because they couldn't be produced at a mid-market prices. (Plasma's are traditionally priced for the luxury market, LCD's aren't good enough to sell in that market.) With the switch in the computer market to LCD, they became produced in large enough numbers to test the television market. Plasma's are coming down in price somewhat now for much the same reason (production numbers).

What dcfc said about the TV tuner, although as I said there are important configuration differences also, such as screen resolution. TVs traditionally default to much lower resolution, resolutions that would be uncomfortable on a computer these days. Obviously with modern televisions and technologies (HDTV), this is changing.

What Jim said about refresh rates.

adam

monutdfc
11/07/2005, 11:21 AM
Also, it is only recently that LCD technology allowed them to make LCD tv's in larger screen sizes at 'affordable' prices.

Now, what I want to know, is which is better - LCD or plasma?

dahamsta
11/07/2005, 11:26 AM
Plasma will give you a better picture, but it may not last as long as an LCD. It'll be a lot more expensive too. And you don't want one near the ground if there's kids about, it'll burn the finger off them. :)

adam

paul_oshea
11/07/2005, 11:29 AM
so whats the different technology used then? Also, what are the screens they have in pubs, plasma?

dahamsta
11/07/2005, 11:32 AM
Most screens in pubs are plasma, apart from projected of course. HowStuffWorks will answer the hardcore technology questions far better than me.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/plasma-display.htm

adam

Metrostars
11/07/2005, 2:37 PM
I have a 48 inch High Definition wide screen plasma TV. It's the real deal. Here in the US, they're cheaper than LCD (set me back $3k though) and while LCDs are thinner, to me the quality of picture is the same. Plus some LCDs suffer from the 'burn' problem where some individual pixels burn out over time.
BTW, has HD technology reached over there yet? There are rumours that the 2006 World Cup will be broadcast in HD.

Jim Smith
12/07/2005, 9:28 AM
And you don't want one near the ground if there's kids about, it'll burn the finger off them. :)

adam
At last! A solution to the finger prints everyone else seems to leave on my monitor :D

tetsujin1979
12/07/2005, 10:05 AM
BTW, has HD technology reached over there yet? There are rumours that the 2006 World Cup will be broadcast in HD.

Sky Sports are planning to broadcast some of next season's games in HD, so I guess it's possible that there will be some games in the WC broadcast in HD