PDA

View Full Version : Ireland set for Parkhead?

sligoman
10/07/2005, 1:03 AM
Celt!c’s Parkhead has emerged as the shock first choice to host any potential World Cup playoff that Ireland may participate in this November.

Brian Kerr’s side are currently one of four teams in the shake up for a qualification place for the tournament in Germany in 2006. Should the team finish second in the group they will be forced into a playoff on November 12th and 16th, dates that clash with the Irish rugby teams schedule.

A number of solutions have been suggested with grounds such as Anfield, Old Trafford and the Millennium Stadium linked. However Parkhead has now emerged as the most popular alternative. With Croke Park already ruled out and the Irish rugby team playing New Zealand and Australia on the designated dates at Lansdowne Road, Celt!c Park seems ideal.

The stadium boasts an attractive 61,000 capacity while thousands of Irish fans already make the journey weekly to watch their beloved Celt!c. Last night Celt!c Chief Executive Peter Lawwell gave the idea the thumbs up saying “If there was the prospect of staging an Irish game, we would be delighted.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/worldcup2006/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=18123

Superhoops
10/07/2005, 9:59 AM
Celt!c’s Parkhead has emerged as the shock first choice to host any potential World Cup playoff that Ireland may participate in this November......
No shock about it. As I posted on another thread, why do you think BK agreed to play at Parkhead just prior to the Israel home game? Not becuase he thought McNamara was a good chap and a deserving cause!

BK 's reputation for forward planning and trying to cover every eventuality is well founded.

jorge
10/07/2005, 12:21 PM
Why Parkhead when Cardiff is closer?I think its ludicris. :mad: And if not Cardiff theres Old Trfoord and Anfield.

Plastic Paddy
10/07/2005, 12:32 PM
Why Parkhead when Cardiff is closer?I think its ludicris. :mad: And if not Cardiff theres Old Trfoord and Anfield.

To wind up the eL-heads, obviously. :rolleyes:

Look at the map, Jorge. Glasgow's just as easy for Dubs and far easier for northern-based fans to get across. So save the indignation for a more deserving cause. Like Israeli keepers and dodgy Greek referees...

In any case, at least the seats at CP are green, so we should feel at home. :)

:ball: PP

Superhoops
10/07/2005, 12:34 PM
Completely agree. I also believe that because several of the Irish team have experience of playing for their clubs in Cardiff they would be more comfortable playing there.

Superhoops
10/07/2005, 2:31 PM
Look at the map, Jorge. Glasgow's just as easy for Dubs and far easier for northern-based fans to get across...
But for the die-hards from Shepherds Bush, Cardiff is much nearer. 5/10 minutes to Chiswick roundabout, then 2 and a half hours down M4. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Plastic Paddy
10/07/2005, 3:27 PM
Completely agree. I also believe that because several of the Irish team have experience of playing for their clubs in Cardiff they would be more comfortable playing there.

A complete non sequitur. These are professional footballers, not china dolls, and will feel perfectly comfortable whatever the surroundings of their "home" ground. In any case, the only one with extensive experience of Cardiff is Graham Kavanagh, and all of this was gained at Ninian Park.

But for the die-hards from Shepherds Bush, Cardiff is much nearer. 5/10 minutes to Chiswick roundabout, then 2 and a half hours down M4. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure of your point, if indeed you have one. Nothing new there though if your previous posts are anything to go by. :rolleyes: yourself.

Edit - credit where credit's due - your "fencing post" had me in stitches. :D PP

A face
10/07/2005, 3:57 PM
Why parkhead ??

Wales would be far better for Irish fans all over the country (i.e. not just dublin) ..... how many Irish fans do we get at normal away games ? Are we trying to beat that ?? if so ... why make it hard for them to get there. Wales is THE easiest place of all mentioned to get to, the ferry is a good option.

If it is held in parkhead over the millennium then i wont be going, simple as .... its got nothing to do with the colour of the seats .... its all aboutthe FAI making it harder for me to get to a game. I'd say common sense is a good option considering the mire we are in, ffs .... its bad enough having ot play away.

Plastic Paddy
10/07/2005, 4:10 PM
Why parkhead ??

Wales would be far better for Irish fans all over the country (i.e. not just dublin) ..... how many Irish fans do we get at normal away games ? Are we trying to beat that ?? if so ... why make it hard for them to get there. Wales is THE easiest place of all mentioned to get to, the ferry is a good option.

If it is held in parkhead over the millennium then i wont be going, simple as .... its got nothing to do with the colour of the seats .... its all aboutthe FAI making it harder for me to get to a game. I'd say common sense is a good option considering the mire we are in, ffs .... its bad enough having ot play away.

It's hard not to sympathise with your rationale, Face, especially given that you come from Cork and Cardiff would obviously be much easier for you to get to. Like I said above though, Parkhead is just as easy for fans in the northern counties to access as the Millennium is for you. Therein lies the rub - if we have to play outside Ireland, one section of our supporters will inevitably be more disappointed than the rest by the choice of venue. Not that it will bother the suits at Merrion Square for a second, as they'll be safely ensconced in the Glasgow Malmaison or Cardiff's St David's Bay Hotel :rolleyes: and if you don't go, they know that there will be someone else to pay top dollar for your seat...

Despite what you and others may have inferred (wrongly as it happens) my favourite alternative would not be CP, but instead Loftus Road. It's a tight ground, right in the heart of Irish west London and, err, only ten minutes' walk from my house. Not that I'm motivated by self-interest, oh no... :o :D

Qwerty
10/07/2005, 5:00 PM
I don't see any source for the information mentioned in the story? This is just the media doing what they do; speculating rather than actually covering real stories which might require actual work.

But being armchair managers like ourselves we should not lose the opportunity to become indignant that the FAI has clearly chosen the wrong location yet again!! And stop with the BK and his supposedly meticolous preparation sh1te, I've had enough of that old guff thank you very much!!

Superhoops
10/07/2005, 6:43 PM
I'm not really sure of your point, if indeed you have one. Nothing new there though if your previous posts are anything to go by
PP, the point I was trying to make, poorly as it appears, was that if a play-off game is to be played away from LR and outside Ireland, then wherever it is played will make it harder for most fans but easier for some, especially those like yourself (and Sylvo, Lopez, Tuff Paddy et al) who live in the UK.

However, the most important factor in chosing the location for such a crucial game should not be how easy it is for fans to attend, but whether or not it gives the team the best chance of winning the game and the tie and thus, as in this case, ensure qualification for the WC finals.

I may be wrong but I believe that players are likely to perform better in surroundings that they are famliar with and hence my point about Cardiff being a more suitable venue than CP, as would be Old Trafford, Anfield or COM Stadium.

My rationale for putting these points forward may be completely off the wall, but surely the whole point of this forum is to allow people to put forward their points of view, even if those points of view are not obvious to or agreed with by other forum members, including moderators

BTW, all of Graham Kavanagh's Cardiff experience was not gained at Ninian Park. He played in the Millenium for Cardiff in the 2003 Play-Offs against QPR. (a game you Shepherd Bush boys probably dont have too fond memories about!)

Plastic Paddy
10/07/2005, 7:07 PM
Fair play SH; good points and well made. :)

Sorry for snapping at you btw - it was unmerited and has more to do with my jetlag and inability to handle vast amounts of Russian vodka than anything you said... :o

BTW, all of Graham Kavanagh's Cardiff experience was not gained at Ninian Park. He played in the Millenium for Cardiff in the 2003 Play-Offs against QPR. (a game you Shepherd Bush boys probably dont have too fond memories about!)

Old Russian saying - "don't play clever with someone more clever". :o again.

As for the QPR connection; this is one Bush boy that doesn't follow those particular Hoops. You know where my allegiance lies, but I'll have to ban myself if I start going on about them here... :D

Superhoops
10/07/2005, 7:29 PM
Fair play SH; good points and well made. :)

Sorry for snapping at you btw - it was unmerited and has more to do with my jetlag and inability to handle vast amounts of Russian vodka than anything you said...
No probs, healthy debate and verbal 'ping-pong' are essential ingredients of a a good forum.

geysir
11/07/2005, 12:59 AM
Personally I would not mind a trip to Paradise. I have not been there yet and it is one of my desires before I die as there is not much chance after that.
Play off's, it is not going to happen, I think we will top the group and are a good bet to do so.
None of the results so far have changed my mind on this and as the group stands now we have the best chance of the lot.

gypsydownunder
11/07/2005, 2:10 AM
If I understand the rules correctly, then the 2 best 2nd place teams go through - these are currently likely to be Holland/Czech and England/Poland.

This would leave 6 groups (inc ours), playing for 3 places.

Currently the opponents look like:

Turkey/Greece/Denmark (Ukraine look like winners). Come on Denmark.
Slovakia/Russia (Portugal as winners)
Norway/Slovenia (Italy as winners)
Spain/Serbia & Mont (Spain will proabably win, leaving Serb)
Croatia/Sweden (Croatia winning as they have Swe at home still)

So if we were to finish second, the other 5 teams in the draw, at this stage, and given GDU's wild predictions would be

Denmark (hopefully)
Russia
Norway
Serbia & Mont
Sweden

Tough?

OwlsFan
11/07/2005, 11:40 AM

Agree re Cardiff but it's much of a muchness compared to Glasgow and the hotel prices there (Cardiff) are very steep having been at the Owls vs Hartlepool play off game.

No way should it be at Old Trafford - Sir Alex has been an implacable enemy of international football (withdrawing players at a whim) and I for one wouldn't put any money into the coffers of that club. No doubt he would welcome a game there and then withdraw Keane due to a "niggle".

Stuttgart88
11/07/2005, 11:57 AM
Why not The Valley?

We sold nearly 3,000 seats the last two times we played there and we know the pitch. The local Liberal Club sells a mean pint of bitter & at student prices :)

Joking aside, would we fill Cardiff? Especially if it was against anyone other than Denmark or Sweden. OT likewise.

Anfield is probably a better size.

And regardless of what people say Parkhead would sell a lot of tickets & guarantee a great support. I remember the whole of the old "****** end" terrace at Hampden being full of green & white clad locals in 1987.

Stuttgart88
11/07/2005, 11:59 AM
Bloody hell: is the word "C-e-l-t-i-c" now banned? This is a joke, surely?

Get a grip moderators.

Orchard Celt
11/07/2005, 1:22 PM
Celt!c’s Parkhead has emerged as the shock first choice to host any potential World Cup playoff that Ireland may participate in this November.

Brian Kerr’s side are currently one of four teams in the shake up for a qualification place for the tournament in Germany in 2006. Should the team finish second in the group they will be forced into a playoff on November 12th and 16th, dates that clash with the Irish rugby teams schedule.

A number of solutions have been suggested with grounds such as Anfield, Old Trafford and the Millennium Stadium linked. However Parkhead has now emerged as the most popular alternative. With Croke Park already ruled out and the Irish rugby team playing New Zealand and Australia on the designated dates at Lansdowne Road, Celt!c Park seems ideal.

The stadium boasts an attractive 61,000 capacity while thousands of Irish fans already make the journey weekly to watch their beloved Celt!c. Last night Celt!c Chief Executive Peter Lawwell gave the idea the thumbs up saying “If there was the prospect of staging an Irish game, we would be delighted.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/worldcup2006/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=18123

1st of all the officall name is ****** PARK not parkhead. Parkhead is the area in which the ground is located but from day 1 the ground was named ****** Park. The reason people (mostly the anti-******/catholic scottish media) call it parkhead is because they hate calling it by its officall name, ****** Park. This is 100% true and ****** even banned people for calling it parkhead.

Dublin12
11/07/2005, 2:07 PM
I couldn't really give a t0ss what it's called,I'd be more concerned that we might actually have to play outside Ireland :mad:

Macy
11/07/2005, 2:17 PM
1st of all the officall name is ****** PARK not parkhead. Parkhead is the area in which the ground is located but from day 1 the ground was named ****** Park. The reason people (mostly the anti-******/catholic scottish media) call it parkhead is because they hate calling it by its officall name, ****** Park. This is 100% true and ****** even banned people for calling it parkhead.
Post of the month contender.... :D

sligoman
11/07/2005, 2:22 PM
Bloody hell: is the word "C-e-l-t-i-c" now banned? This is a joke, surely?

Get a grip moderators.

Yes it is banned that's why I put Celt!c. Stuttgart I think it's banned because talking about Celt!c is banned from the site at the moment

superfrank
11/07/2005, 2:44 PM
How about Easter Road?

Green seats, Irish-friendly hosts, big enough stadium.

Let's face it I hardly think we'd sell out ****** Park. What is it like 60,000? We wouldn't bring that many, even to Glasgow. And I don't think ****** fans from Scotland are going to come watch us either, in case someone's dumb enough to bring that up. I think we could fill Easter Road but I think ****** Park would just look empty. There weren't even that many at Jackie McNamara's testimonial.

Dublin12
11/07/2005, 2:51 PM
****** is banned lol :rolleyes: ,is this some sort of Irish joke,imagine banning a football team's name on a football website :( ,you couldn't make it up!

onenilgameover
11/07/2005, 3:18 PM
Banning the name Celt!c thats harlarious! Nanny state! Nanny state! Nanny state!

Anyhoo..I think a major factor in deciding wherw they will play the possible game is the irish factor....If people are gonna start complaining and rightly so about having to move the game abroad. They will play the irish card and try to play it off like where not really playing away from home more a home away form home (which it total bull crap IMO) :mad:

However...........
On another point...I think it may also be the best ground in the Uk to play the game. Alsmost gauranteed sellout and atmosphere. If Celt!c Park is chosen personally I'd just go with it.

Stuttgart88
11/07/2005, 3:22 PM
And I don't think ****** fans from Scotland are going to come watch us either, in case someone's dumb enough to bring that up. There weren't even that many at Jackie McNamara's testimonial.

I couldn't be arsed going to watch a meaningless testimonial match but I can be arsed to watch my country / team play in a crucial world cup match.

And, as I said above, a very large number of Glaswegians came out in support of Ireland in the 1987 game against Scotland at Hampden. Why is it dumb to suggest they'd do the same again?

superfrank
11/07/2005, 3:28 PM
I couldn't be arsed going to watch a meaningless testimonial match but I can be arsed to watch my country / team play in a crucial world cup match.

And, as I said above, a very large number of Glaswegians came out in support of Ireland in the 1987 game against Scotland at Hampden. Why is it dumb to suggest they'd do the same again?
Cos they're not Irish. WOuld you support Scotland if they played over here??

Stuttgart88
11/07/2005, 3:36 PM
They did it before though & in large numbers. The whole of the old so-called "Seltic End" of Hampden was full of them - I remember it vividly. I think it's realistic to expect many would do the same again, even if they're not Irish.

OwlsFan
11/07/2005, 4:38 PM
Just checking to see if the word Rangers as well as Ce!tic is banned.

OwlsFan
11/07/2005, 4:39 PM
:eek: Discrimination !!

Orchard Celt
11/07/2005, 5:24 PM
Cos they're not Irish. WOuld you support Scotland if they played over here??

Many Celts scottish fans support Ireland because they have never been accepted in Scotland, even today this still happens. Every fan of the Tic remembers the days when Tic players were booed at Hampden while playing for Scotland by the pro rangers/protestant crowd (this is not a anti-protestant thing this is FACT and is one of Scotlands secret shames).

Just because your not born in Ireland doesn't mean you aren't Irish. Many people are born in different countries and because of there families are bought up with there Irish roots. Nationally is about who you feel you belong too and how you were raised by your family.

Many people in Scotland are still bought up the Irish way because as a mate of mine from Edinburgh says "we don't have anything in common with these people"

superfrank
11/07/2005, 5:38 PM
Just because your not born in Ireland doesn't mean you aren't Irish. Many people are born in different countries and because of there families are bought up with there Irish roots. Nationally is about who you feel you belong too and how you were raised by your family.
Ok, so by your logic just because I wasn't born in Burma doesn't mean I'm not Burmese??

What I originally said was why don't we play at Easter Road?

Poor Student
11/07/2005, 6:05 PM
Ok, so by your logic just because I wasn't born in Burma doesn't mean I'm not Burmese??

Talk about a specious argument. :rolleyes:

Why not Easter Road? Because it is too small. Also by your point their history does not have the same strength of long standing bond with Ireland as ****** does. Orchard is quite correct about a fair amount of people over there who do not identify themselves more as Irish than Scottish which extends into their preference of national team.

Pat O' Banton
11/07/2005, 6:09 PM

:confused: Your arguement has no logic whatsoever, OC is quiet clearly pointing out that loads of 2nd generation Irish people exist and feel Irish and support Ireland, there are plenty of these in Glasgow.

Why not Edinburgh? Well it shows lack of ambition to play at a smaller ground and also statistically the Irish population moved far more to the west of Scotland (where Glasgow is based) then the east of Scotland so more chance of generating local support.

Pat O' Banton
11/07/2005, 6:13 PM
Talk about a specious argument. :rolleyes:

Why not Easter Road? Because it is too small. Also by your point their history does not have the same strength of long standing bond with Ireland as ****** does. Orchard is quite correct about a fair amount of people over there who do not identify themselves more as Irish than Scottish which extends into their preference of national team.

Damn just because you can type faster it looks like I was the one copying your wise words.

Orchard Celt
11/07/2005, 6:25 PM

If your parents/grand parents were from Ireland but lived in Burma and they bring you up in the Irish way of life/cultures etc..instead of the Burma ones you'll feel more Irish than Burmese because of the way you've been raised. It doesn't just happen in Scotland, may people born in America, England and Australia would consider themselves Irish because they've been raised in the Irish ways/cultures etc..

eirebhoy
11/07/2005, 6:37 PM
Let's face it I hardly think we'd sell out ****** Park. What is it like 60,000? We wouldn't bring that many, even to Glasgow. And I don't think ****** fans from Scotland are going to come watch us either, in case someone's dumb enough to bring that up. I think we could fill Easter Road but I think ****** Park would just look empty. There weren't even that many at Jackie McNamara's testimonial.
Not only would Céltic Park guarantee to sell out for an play-off match involving Ireland, it would also provide a but of money for touts.

BTW, A relatively small percentage of Céltic fans support Scotland in football compared to other club teams. Not all the thousands of Irish flags are Irish people here at the UEFA cup final:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/eirebhoy/seville_30.jpg

And Jackie wouldn't have got close to the 50,000 if it wasn't against Ireland.

The 3 people against the use of Céltic Park in this thread can use all the excuses they want (ie. location) but at the end of the day the 3 of you are completely anti-****** which is enough for me to ignore all other reasons you post.

Plastic Paddy
11/07/2005, 6:57 PM
Come on eirebhoy, you know there are none so blind as those who refuse to see. On the other hand, only we who are enlightened know the way to Paradise. :D

Anyway folks, since it's the same intractable positions emerging again and all the bases have been covered, I've got to put my mod hat on and close this thread. Dem's de rules. :(