PDA

View Full Version : Bray 1 Longford 1

student
08/07/2005, 10:37 PM
Not the greatest of football matches ever played but an interesting battle all the same. Bray had the better chances yet Longford had most of the possession, except for the fifteen minutes after half time when bray got their goal. In that spell Bray were excellent with Fox and Tyrell particularly impressive. Zayeed's goal was a fantastic finish, although it was frustrating to see him miss two far easier chances earlier in the game.

Ferguson deserved his red card. From where i was sitting it looked a dangerous and cynical elbow to the head of Fox. He let his teamates and fans down. Some of the longford fans near me were disgusted with him, (which was refreshing to see considering fans of most other clubs would just blame the referee).

All in all though a good point on paper for Bray considering injuries and the poor run of form recently. However the three points were there for the taking, if the team had been a bit more clynical in taking their chances.

Player Ratings:

O'Connor- 6

Solid display although one scary moment in the first half when he made a mess of a back pass. Didnt have much to do.

O'Reilly- 6

Again solid display although could have provided more of a threat going forward.

Tresson and Lynch - 7

A few shaky moments in the first half but thought they dealt well with the aerial threat of Myler and Keegan

Davey- 6

Kirby caused problems at times but Davey cleverly forced him inside to a crowded middle of the park. Distribution wasn't great but there was a lack of passing options in front of him.

Gifford- 5

Defensively sound but never treathend the Longford defence once. Not a right winger in my opinion.

O'Brien- 4

wasnt impressed with the new signing. distribution was very poor and went completely missing from the game in the second half. granted he was probably struggling for fitness but he wasnt much better in the first. looked very awkward in possesion and looks like he will be a stop gap when others are injured.

Keogh- 7

Worked very hard, and contributed well to the team. one of the few players who looked comfortable in possesion and all in all i thought he had a good game.

Tyrell- 8 :)

Superb prospect for the future. Showed real flashes of class with his left foot, and was involved in all of brays good passing movements. created chances for Fox and Zayeed and his set piece delivery was excellent. Also superb free kick whihc digger made a great save from. Still a bit light and weak in the tackle but could be forgiven for that tonight.

fox- 7

Another who gave a very good display. Held the ball up, won headers and linked the play up well despite the poor service he and zayeed recieved. Looked a bit unconfident in front of goal, but if he keeps playing like this the goals will come

Zayeed 7 :ball:

A quiet enough game from him, however always looked dangerous on the break. Great finish for his goal but shougl have scored with an easier chance earlier in the match.

lowflyingseagul
08/07/2005, 11:53 PM
must have been at a different game, o'briens tackling and tracking back was excellent and somthing that we've been missing. tyrell looked useful, but why the devo not make a change when longford went down to 10 men, surely there was a more attacking midfielder than gifford.

student
09/07/2005, 10:37 AM
The subs bench was Holt, Donnelly, O'Brien, McGrory, and Sinnott. There isnt really an attacking right winger there but maybe Devlin could have brought on either McGrory or Tarzan and pushed Zayeed out wide.

As for O'Brien; i can only repeat how unimpressed i was with him. He did work very hard but so did every other Bray player. He is a player who is there to stop the opposition yet Longford dominated possession in the middle of the park. And for a man of his height i thought he won practically nothing in the air (which is saying a lot considering that fair chunks of the match were similar to a game of head tennis).

Bray Head
09/07/2005, 1:10 PM
A much improved performance. At least we kept the ball on the ground for most of the game. O'Brien was good in the first half but his lack of matches told and he faded in the second half. Gifford did well but ran out of steam. Devo should have replaced him when they went down to 10 men as his fitness level prevented him going forward. All out attacks came down the left wing where Tryell was excellent. Two points lost as we should have won.

Roo69
11/07/2005, 1:20 PM
I only got to see the 1st half before i had to shoot off for a bday party dinner thingy and by going on what i seen i would have to agree with Student. I thought O'Brien was well off the pace, his passing was poor and for such a tall bloke won fcuk all in the air, put i would put that all down to the fact that he has not played in 6 or so months, which begs the question, why was'nt he introduced over a period of time ? James has been one of our best preformers over the last few games, he was'nt even in the squad ? didnt make sense to me what so ever.

Tyrrell was excellent ! magic left foot on him, the 2 though balls he put Eamo though in th 1st half were 2nd to none.

On what i saw, Longford had a bit more of the ball but Bray didnt let them do anythi8ng with it and we created all the best chances, Eamo missed 2 1 on 1's, how i dont know ? he should have had a peno when he was being tugged back in the box and i though he was onside for the disaloud goal, but sure a point is better than nothing ! something to build on.......

superfrank
11/07/2005, 2:02 PM
Alright lads, missed the match due to famliy commitments in anohter country. Anyway, I think it's a good result for us. Though my friend said we should have won, it's still important for us to have stopped the bad run.

How much are tickets for tomorrow night? :o

Macy
11/07/2005, 2:14 PM
Wouldn't like to comment on Fergusons sending off before seeing it on the TV. I was right in line with it, and didn't notice anything amiss until the fella went down. Don't see how the ref could judge as deliberate tbh, if we couldn't tell.

Also, wouldn't take too much notice of the Town fans jumping to conclusions - plenty don't like Barry so can't wait to stick the boot in.

Pretty much summed up by us having the possession, youse hitting us on the break. Pretty disappointed in our performance tbh. Fair enough result, even if you had the better chances...

Roo69
11/07/2005, 2:18 PM
Wouldn't like to comment on Fergusons sending off before seeing it on the TV. I was right in line with it, and didn't notice anything amiss until the fella went down. Don't see how the ref could judge as deliberate tbh, if we couldn't tell.

Also, wouldn't take too much notice of the Town fans jumping to conclusions - plenty don't like Barry so can't wait to stick the boot in.

Pretty much summed up by us having the possession, youse hitting us on the break. Pretty disappointed in our performance tbh. Fair enough result, even if you had the better chances...

from what i seen i thought Davy Byrne did very well, good to see him back to some sort of previous form, by the way is he related to Keith Long from Bray ? SPIT !

I'd have to disagree with ya on the fair result part, i cannot remember Skippy having to make one save in the 1st half, it would have been different if Longford had more of the ball in our half, but much of there possesion came from there back 4 and midfield, we didnt play on the counter, our attacks came from Bray possesion. As i said i didnt see all the game but from what i did we should have been easy winners. Some very poor finishing on our part.

Macy
11/07/2005, 2:29 PM
from what i seen i thought Davy Byrne did very well, good to see him back to some sort of previous form, by the way is he related to Keith Long from Bray ? SPIT !

I'd have to disagree with ya on the fair result part, i cannot remember Skippy having to make one save in the 1st half, it would have been different if Longford had more of the ball in our half, but much of there possesion came from there back 4 and midfield, we didnt play on the counter, our attacks came from Bray possesion. As i said i didnt see all the game but from what i did we should have been easy winners. Some very poor finishing on our part.
We should've created more from our possession. However, I think the 2 one on ones were from breaks from the back - one of them was from a Town corner ffs.

Roo69
11/07/2005, 2:31 PM
We should've created more from our possession. However, I think the 2 one on ones were from breaks from the back - one of them was from a Town corner ffs.

Yeah you should have but you didnt, the Bray back 4 was quite comfortable with the very few real attacks Longford could muster up

Wiseguy
11/07/2005, 2:33 PM

Lots of people don't like Barry because he seems to pick up endless yellow and red cards.He's only back from suspension and gets himself sent off again.IMO it's becoming unacceptable as he is letting everyone down.

Macy
11/07/2005, 2:49 PM
Lots of people don't like Barry because he seems to pick up endless yellow and red cards.He's only back from suspension and gets himself sent off again.IMO it's becoming unacceptable as he is letting everyone down.
So you could see it was definitely a straight red? I couldn't and don't see how anyone there could see it, even if TV slow mo's do....

Barry's done some stupid things, however he's also been very hard done by on a number of occasions as well imo. Probably the same people who think Aaron is a great character for his continued sending off's (I don't have a problem with them particularly, but people are just hypocrites because they don't like Barry).

BrayZil
11/07/2005, 3:06 PM
I thought we played quite well and looked comfortable at the back for the 1st time in a long while. We conceded a stupid goal tho. Disappointed we didn’t win with the number of chances we had but it stops the losing streak. I would have settled for a point before the game. All Bray players played exceptionally well and it was a great team performance. IMO Tyrell was excellent, great left foot on him and very skilful.

Anyone else think Paul Keegans behaviour was a disgrace? When Jody got booked he kept trying to get him sent off. Cheat!

student
11/07/2005, 3:17 PM
So you could see it was definitely a straight red? I couldn't and don't see how anyone there could see it, even if TV slow mo's do....

Macy you could be right, i cannot say with 100% certainty that Ferguson deserved to be sent off, but my gut reaction was that he deserved it and that was the same reaction as the Longford fans around me.

If im proven wrong tonight then i will be quite happy to hold my hand up.

Wiseguy
11/07/2005, 4:16 PM

Barry's done some stupid things, however he's also been very hard done by on a number of occasions as well imo. Probably the same people who think Aaron is a great character for his continued sending off's (I don't have a problem with them particularly, but people are just hypocrites because they don't like Barry).

From what i seen my immediate reaction was that Barry was gonna walk.As these things are over in a second you don't have the benefit of being 100% certain what happened but all i could think at the time was "Barry you idiot".
I rate Barry as a player but he needs to realise that you can't keep lashing out.The same applies to Aaron.You have to show restraint in situations.

Stevo Da Gull
11/07/2005, 8:47 PM
The 3 points were there for the taking but to win ya have to put away your chances and also not give away sloppy goals, goin on that a draw was fair. Still though another decent performace, so things are still lookin up. Atmosphere was pretty poor but I think we will be back to our best for Waterford.

C'mon the Wanderers :ball:

Macy
12/07/2005, 7:18 AM
From what i seen my immediate reaction was that Barry was gonna walk.As these things are over in a second you don't have the benefit of being 100% certain what happened but all i could think at the time was "Barry you idiot".
I rate Barry as a player but he needs to realise that you can't keep lashing out.The same applies to Aaron.You have to show restraint in situations.
It would be when a player goes down holding his face and the ref blows up. Watching the highlights last night it looked harsh for a deliberate elbow - didn't appear to be any swing of the arm or anything (all players lead with the arm going for headers). Harsh sending off imo.

KK77
12/07/2005, 8:04 AM
It would be when a player goes down holding his face and the ref blows up. Watching the highlights last night it looked harsh for a deliberate elbow - didn't appear to be any swing of the arm or anything (all players lead with the arm going for headers). Harsh sending off imo.

At the time i thought he had to go but seeing it last night i have to say it didn't look that bad at all

Roo69
12/07/2005, 8:12 AM
At the time i thought he had to go but seeing it last night i have to say it didn't look that bad at all

Didnt see it at the time but going by last night i thought he did lead with his elbow and there was movement, all you had to do was look at his reaction, he knew stright away what he had done.

Macy
12/07/2005, 8:57 AM
all you had to do was look at his reaction, he knew stright away what he had done.
Come off it - just because he didn't go mental he's guilty?

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Would've been nice to have a couple looks at it rather than a brief mention - especially after making us sit up till after 12... :rolleyes:

superfrank
12/07/2005, 9:06 AM

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Would've been nice to have a couple looks at it rather than a brief mention - especially after making us sit up till after 12... :rolleyes:
I agree, he looked a guilty man. Defo a red imo, you could see his arm went straight across Foxy's face.

Roo69
12/07/2005, 9:07 AM

Yep we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, as i said i thought he lead his his elbow and he defo did catch Foxy. Red Card.

Yeah the highlights were very poor alright, they left out plenty of good action from the 1st half, shots, saves etc...... :(

Wiseguy
12/07/2005, 9:09 AM
I have to agree after having seen it last night it was a bit harsh on Barry.These things happen at some stage in most games and go unpunished so Barry reputation may have influenced the ref.

superfrank
12/07/2005, 9:24 AM
I have to agree after having seen it last night it was a bit harsh on Barry.These things happen at some stage in most games and go unpunished so Barry reputation may have influenced the ref.
Who are you agreeing with? :confused:

Wiseguy
12/07/2005, 1:15 PM
Macy of course

KR's Post
14/07/2005, 4:50 PM
Was at Oxegen... Missed the game(first of the season mind you)! Heard Bray should have won and by witnessing tv3's coverage we dominated proceedings and gave away a soft goal. Although the coverage as mentioned before was terrible. :)