PDA

View Full Version : Hartigan to Quit playing for City

James
24/03/2002, 5:42 PM
it just gets better and better
happy happy happy

Noel has said he is too retire from playing for Cork City after the derry game .. Noel speaking to N Spillane after the game confirmed he is to quit playing for city stating too much time taken up with travel etc etc to devote himself to it

YES :D

Casegrande
24/03/2002, 7:58 PM
Even though he scored two goals today he was still his lazy, heartless self. I'll be delighted to see the fella go.

Neil
25/03/2002, 12:28 AM
Examiner - Monday, March 25, 2002
Cork City save the best wine until last

CORK CITY chose the final Eircom League match of the season at Turner’s Cross to score their biggest win, on a day they learned that they will be without centre-forward Noel Hartigan next season, but might retain Ollie Cahill. Hartigan, 23-year-old international basketball player and accomplished gaelic footballer, will drop out of League football, because he wants a break from the travelling involved after six seasons; Cahill will negotiate with Cork before deciding his future at the end of the season.

Both played major roles as Cork played free-flowing football to out-class Monaghan United and hint once again frustratingly at the potential within the team. The major honours escaped them but the quality of their football illustrated just why they were able to beat all of their principal rivals in the course of the season. Five goals were cause for celebration, but heightened thoughts of a season of lost opportunity.

One fact helped to underline just why this was so - Cork scored only one goal in seven matches at Turner’s Cross against League opposition prior to reaping this bountiful harvest. Curiously, the shortcomings that have frustrated their championship hopes were never more apparent as they wasted as many excellent scoring opportunities.

Monaghan, were far from impressive, the reality of relegation clearly a huge disappointment to their young team. They were well below the standard you would expect in the Premier division and Cork’s superiority was unquestioned.

Cork’s midfield played a major part in this success, with Greg O’Halloran bringing a very welcome constructive emphasis to their play. All season Cork have suffered from over-hitting their midfield and from the lack of a player content to play the simple ball accurately and quickly. O’Halloran was that player. So the goals flowed and two in the opening 13 minutes quickly settled the issue. Colin P. O’Brien after nine, turning the ball into an empty net after a superb break and cross from Ollie Cahill and the centre-forward set up the second for Hartigan four minutes later.

Monaghan had some consolation when Declan Field converted a penalty in the 14th minute but the second half was one of torment for Monaghan as Cork created chances at will. Cahill had a lovely finish after 51 minutes, Hartigan claimed his second after 56 and substitute James Mulligan scored in the 77th minute. “There was never a doubt about our win and we dominated the second half,” said manager Liam Murphy. “I’m pleased we finished at home with a performance like that, because this is a great bunch of lads who have worked hard and done everything I have asked of them.

“Last season we had no break because we were straight into the Inter-toto and some of the players have looked jaded in recent weeks. We will be glad of a break.”

Murphy indicated his next task is to open negotiations with those players who are out of contract immediately after next Sunday’s final League match in Derry. Foremost amongst these is Ollie Cahill who has attracted the interest of Shelbourne and Hibernians of Scotland.

Murphy said he was hopeful of persuading Cahill to stay and the player said he would not make a decision on his future until after the final match of the season. He said he had not had a firm offer and suggested it was possible he would again sign for Cork.

For Hartigan there will be no League football next season: “I’ve had six seasons of it now, on and off. I do not enjoy the travelling involved and I’m going to take a break.” He will play basketball at a local level and football with St. Finbarr’s and might also play in the Munster Senior League.

niamh
25/03/2002, 11:48 AM
So we'll have to go find ourselves a striker then?

pete
25/03/2002, 12:00 PM
I wonder does the constant abuse by the home fans at the cross have anything to do with Hartigol retiring?

Bernie
25/03/2002, 12:44 PM
Odd to see a player 'retiring' at 23 years of age. Its enough to make someone selfconcious:)

I guess the travel commitments are a balls what with City putting more on the clock than anyone else. Just ask how many City fans are going to the Derry game next week?

Good luck Noel. Some stunning goals and an FAI cup medal to boot. Hope the basketballs more fun.

Pablo
25/03/2002, 1:34 PM
Aint you organising a plane still Bernie? :)

Éanna
25/03/2002, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by Bernie
Odd to see a player 'retiring' at 23 years of age.

don't bet on him being the only one

Gary
25/03/2002, 5:54 PM
Good by, good riddane. good bye, farewell, we'll see you again when Liam Murphy begs you to come back.

I just find it kind of odd that he announced this AFTER his last league game at the Cross. Sure had he let us know we would have made a banner begging him to stay and we would have clapped every time he got the ball.

Pity!