PDA

View Full Version : High and Low Points

Roo69
08/07/2005, 11:18 AM
What would be your High and Low Points be of supporting your club ?

High - Winning the FAI cup in 99 after the replays with Harps :D Magic stuff

Low - Loosing out to Dublin City on promotion to the premier 2 seasons ago on the when we played them off the pitch and lost the match due to a ref. It was the last game of the season, winner takes all, or in Citys case a draw took all. :(

ColinR
08/07/2005, 11:23 AM
high - beating galway 3-0 in playoff final having being beaten 2-0 in the first leg. it was the pefect ending to the most dramatic season in the clubs history, and the three goals were scored by now three legends of the club.

low - toss up between losing 1-0 to sligo on last day of the 95/96 season which saw athlone leapfrog us, and we got relegated, or losing in extra time to longford in the semi final replay last season.

harpskid
08/07/2005, 11:36 AM
High: Winning our first League title last year.

Low: Nothing will ever compare to the '99 Cup Final :(

garykelly
08/07/2005, 11:37 AM
Highs - obviously the treble of 93/94. (First Div Champs, FAI Cup, First D Shield)
- Seeing my team play in Europe and local lad scoring
- Winning the league cup at last in 97/98 in Tolka

Lows - Relegation from the Prem after 5 year stay in 1999/00 season
- losing the league cup to Shels in 95/96. One of the best ever games of football i've ever seen and we lost on peno's. Steve birks hit the bar in the last min of extra time.
- Not going straight back up at 1st attempt. realised we were in trouble
- The previous 5 seasons to this one.

BrayZil
08/07/2005, 11:38 AM
Highs - It's a tie between winning the FAI cup in 1990 & 1999. Both very memorable.

Lows - Again i'm torn between 2 (1) The way we lost out on promotion in 2003 to Dublin City with a dodgy peno. We had a lot of support that day and it was heartbreaking. (2) Losing 2-1 to Bohs in the FAI Cup semi final in 2000.

Danny
08/07/2005, 11:44 AM
High

Winning the league in Kilkenny in 98. Shels only needed a point to win the league but lost in dundalk, we won a scrappy gaem 2-1 with God Gormley gettin the winner. It was also the 1st anniversary of one of my mates, Conor O Dowd (Tonys brother) who died. He was defo looking down on us that nite.

Lows

Either of the cup final defeats i've been at, replay v shels in 96 or v Longford in 2003.

Supersaint3
08/07/2005, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=Danny]High

Winning the league in Kilkenny in 98. Shels only needed a point to win the league but lost in dundalk, we won a scrappy gaem 2-1 with God Gormley gettin the winner. It was also the 1st anniversary of one of my mates, Conor O Dowd (Tonys brother) who died. He was defo looking down on us that nite.

That was a magical, magical night, definetely the high for me...

Wiseguy
08/07/2005, 12:01 PM
Highs - There have been so many in the last few years it's hard to put them all down but getting promoted that night in Cobh was special.Winning the playoff against Harps to stay up was just unreal.I still don't know how we won that match.The cup final victories but the biggest high of all has to be seeing the club progress so much in such a short space of time from no hopers to a club which has respect from other clubs.
Lows - Not to many to spoil the party so far but losing to Vaduz was hard to swallow and losing to Kilkenny in the cup was a kick in the teeth but i was heart broken after the League cup final defeat to Pats.

trevy
08/07/2005, 12:28 PM
Waterford United:Highs
Our Fai Cup run in 1997 as a first division team.We got great crowds at home and knocked out Drogheda and Shamrock Rovers and lost in front of 8000 in the semi final at RSC v Shelbourne.Where are all those fans now?
Winning promotion back to the premier as champions under Jimmy McGeough the legend after a few years in the doldrums in division 1.
Getting to the Cup Final last year.

Lows:
Losing Cup final last year in last 5 minutes when we so close to winning our first Fai Cup since 1980.Heartbreaking
Getting relegated under Mike Flanagan.We won our last league game with a late goal v Finn Harps and Galway were still drawing their game so we were safe and then news came through Galway got a last minute goal so they jumped above us and put us into play off v Kilkenny City in the play off which we lost and went down
This season;Awful results,poor crowds,financial problems and players leaving and we'll be in a relegation scrap.

thecorner
08/07/2005, 12:33 PM
high----winning the league or inter toto run
low- being beaten by derry in the cup semi-final or losing the final league game of the season against dundalk to lose the league

ecstatic -- seeing waterford lose a 1 goal lead in the cup final in the last minute last season :D :D :D :D

NY Hoop
08/07/2005, 12:44 PM
High - Odra away and winning the league in 94. Also saw us win the Cup in 1987 but it was overshadowed.

Lows - Losing Milltown but on the pitch losing the 91 Cup Final. Never been so shattered. Branvard :mad:

KOH

pineapple stu
08/07/2005, 12:46 PM
Highs - Last-gasp European qualification in Drogheda (winning by the required 5-0 margin), and then the performances against Velbazhd Kyustendil.

Lows - I suppose relegation is the obvious one, but the last-minute extra-time winner for Drogheda in the Cup quarter-final just a minute after we'd equalised was hard to take...

scrappy harp
08/07/2005, 12:52 PM
High - Winning leauge title last year

Low- Cup final(s) 1999 closesly followed by that night in the brandywell at the playoff sickened-

Dee75
08/07/2005, 1:08 PM
High - Winning the REAL treble in 1989 (League, FAI Cup & League Cup

Low - Losing the league on the last day of the season away to Athlone in 1995

Hecko
08/07/2005, 1:19 PM
HIGH - Derek's winning goal in the Cup Final '98

LOW - Losing the League in Inchicore, goal disallowed for we know not what. Great atmosphere that night and things could haev been so different... Close second was losing the league in the X against Dundalk

Dr.Nightdub
08/07/2005, 11:57 PM
Highs:
- As Danny said, winning the League in Kilkenny in May '98
- The atmosphere in the Riverside in January 2002 as the Pats team came out onto the pitch, a week after we'd got the "Marneygate" nine points back. Hairs-on-the-back-of-yer-neck time. Special.
- Being in the Shed for Pats v Gent, the home leg of the Intertoto in July 2002. 2-0 down from the first leg, we got back to 2-all on aggregate. All of a sudden, instead of a heart, I had a basketball trying to break out through my ribcage
- February 2003, the night we finally got rid of Dolan. Got a text from a mate that said it all: "Tonight, we got our club back"
- Pats v Shels, FAI Cup, August 2002. Sh1te game, great night. We were 1-0 up. They equalised about five minutes before the end. Ollie did his fingers thing. We scored again. When the smoke from the flares cleared, there was Nutsy getting sent off about three minutes after he'd brought himself on as a sub
- Pats v Rovers, FAI Cup, July 2003. After enduring a ridiculous sequence of them getting last-minute winners in League matches, up pops Davy Byrne in injury time to give us a 3-2 win. Post-match celebrations took on a special personal flavour when my Hoops mate DvB walked into McDowells to offer his congratulations!

Lows:
- Losing the Cup Final to Longford in 2003
- The "registration season"
- Away to Longford, November 2002. Civil war on the terraces between pro- and anti-Dolan factions of Pats fans. It continued on in the Longford Arms afterwards and ended up with the night porter shutting the residents bar to avert a killing match in the hotel lobby.
- Cup quarter-final second replay v Shels in Tolka, 1999 (? - not sure if it was that year). The infamous "Gerry Perry match". 2-1 up, down to 10 men, Perry found six minutes injury time from somewhere. Shels equalised in injury time. We lost the peno shoot-out.
- Charlie collapsing against Bohs in 2003 and then realising a few days later we'd never get to see him play again

soccerc
09/07/2005, 12:22 AM
high----winning the league

Remind me, In what year did you win the League? :D

dfx-
09/07/2005, 12:51 AM
High:

Winning the league on that lashing day in 94 against Shels..
Odra Wodzislawa away
Beating Shels a couple of weeks ago - more than 3 points.
Beating Bohs in the cup semi final at Tolka
The UEFA commendation of our travelling support

Lows:

Losing the Cup in 91.
Standing behind the goal in the Morton stadium as 4-1 turned to 4-6 :( :mad: :eek:
Rovers and Bohs aftermath at Richmond.
Gornik Zabrze away :(

mypost
09/07/2005, 2:54 AM
Highs:

Beating Bohs
Winning trophies
Winning a home game in Europe v Odra Wodzislaw (the novelty) :D
Derry away this season :)

Lows:

Losing to Bohs
Crowd trouble involving our fans
Last game at Milltown v Sligo Rovers :mad:

There's more... :(

Tolka boycotts 1987/88
Going 16 games without a win (88/89 season)
Playing in Santry kip, sorry, stadium.

...It goes on....

Players unpaid
Examinership

...And on.....

Last but not least:

Louis Kilcoyne. He is the all-time low, out there on his own.

:mad:

Martinho II
09/07/2005, 10:15 AM
as a town fan there has being many highs and lows:

my top five highs are:

winning our first ever trophy against pats. emotional stuff.
coming from 1-0 down to beat waterford 2-1 in the cup final. from being resigned to defeat to finding out we had both qualified for the uefa cup and setanta cup.
the day alan matthews came into the club with a squad of just five players after the fiasco of the martin lawlor affair and shook the club up to what it is today.
being promoted in cobh in 2000- all the long years of suffering in abbeycartron and strokestown road was at an end.
the finn harps playoff game in which we were consigned to being relegated and then we miracleously bring the game to a penalty shootout which is legendary and saved us as aclub.

my top five lows are:

the day the majority of the town supporters got stranded in dublin airport in 2001for the lovech game and never got going.
the time shamrock rovers hockyed us 6-1 in flancare under martin lawlors stewardship. it was the time a few section o lads held a protest at the back of the goals against a reduction to a ten team division and the rovers supporters came to our end in thesecond half and literally abused us and laughed at us for our protest.
the half time riot in the shamrock rovers town game last season not a nice sight and i got caught up in it.
the day spock walked out of de town to da boez.
being very close to extinction in 1998 and being bottom of division one in 1998.

Éanna
09/07/2005, 10:31 AM
Highs:
The FAI Cup final win in 1998
The league Cup final win of the same year.
Last season's european run
Anytime beating Shels in Tolka
The 3-2 games vs Bohs and Rovers

Lows:
City fans fighting amongst themselves.
The way Derek Mountfield was treated.
Misbehaviour by some city "fans", especially against rovers last year.
Being beaten by Metalurgs

thecorner
09/07/2005, 10:32 AM
Highs:

The way Derek Mountfield was treated.

and gunther ;)

TonyD
09/07/2005, 9:08 PM
Top 5 Highs (Not neccesarily in this order

1) Dundalk - April 96. We needed a win to clinch the title. Score standing at 1-1 with 5 minutes left after numerous chances had gone begging in the 2nd half. Up steps "Soupy" Campbell for a free kick on the edge of the box.... the rest is history. Glorious moment.
2) Kilkenny 98. Shels needing 1 point for the title, us heading to Kilkenny very much more iin hope than in expectation. With the score at 1-1 in the second half the news comes through on my walkman, Dundalk 1, Shels 0. I leapt up and the radio flew from my coat pocket. A couple of minutes later, Dundalk 2, Shels 0. The nerves are jangling now as we press for a winnner. For Shels to lose and Pats to blow it by not winning themselves is unthinkable, surely. Ten minutes to go and a jammy deflection off a weak Eddie Gormley shot...we are the champions :D
3) Cup quarter final epic series v Shels in 98. This should be a low really, as we lost on penalties in the 2nd replay, but those games had everything. Drama, excitement, goals, great attendances and wonderful passion in the stands. It summed up for me at the time, and still does, what this league could be like all the time.(And we chanted at the end "We're going to win the league"- which we did)
4) Turners Cross, January 99. One of the great series of title deciders with Cork that season. We should have been dead and buried at half time, and more than a goal behind. Second half we turned it around in the space of a few minutes. Another game with a great attendance and wonderful athmosphere.
5)December 1996. 5-0 v Bohs. Brian Kerrs 10th anniversary in charge, an ice rink for a pitch, and probably the best display of football I've ever seen from any Pats team. A brilliant hat trick for Martin Reilly, the third a breakaway move that swept the length of the pitch. So that's what sublime looks like.
6) (OK, I said 5, but I couldn't leave this out). Beating Shels 3-2 at Richmond the year of the registration wars. 2-0 down after 15 minutes, we come back and beat them. And Charlie and Paul Marney get two of the goals, now that's what I Call Karma.
Lows

1) Cup final replay v Shels 1996. Eddie Gormley misses a penalty, a couple of minutes later they break and get the winner. And we lose out on the first double in the clubs history.
2)FC Zimbru 1999. 10-0 to the Refugees. The 5-0 defeat at home was the night it all came crashing down for the club in my view. I don't think we've ever really recovered the optimism we had before that game.
3) Cup final v Longford 2003. After 40 years this just had to be our cup, didn't it ? No, it bloody well didn't.
4)Being comprehensively beaten by Shels every time we've played them in the last couple of seasons. After years of regularly sticking it to them it's just soooo hard to stomach.
5)The retirement through a life threatning condition of Mr Charles MBabazi Livingstone. Too cruel for words.