PDA

View Full Version : Best Olympic Sport to take up...

pete
07/07/2005, 10:10 PM
...if you want to represent Ireland.

Its bit of a pub discussion but what sport is the easiest one to qualify for partake in the Olympics...?

Requirements would be low cost & low participation to improve chances.

Sheridan
07/07/2005, 10:15 PM
Archery? Geena Davis almost qualified for the Olympics FFS.

pete
07/07/2005, 10:42 PM
Archery? Geena Davis almost qualified for the Olympics FFS.

Didn't know about Geena Davis but Yes you got it.

Almost no one plays it & i would think relatively easy to take as equipment is minimal & facilities or fitness not required.

hamish
08/07/2005, 12:40 AM
Fencing??? :confused:

carrickharp
08/07/2005, 8:34 AM
Pity they woulden't make darts on Olympic sport :p

Macy
08/07/2005, 8:43 AM
Almost no one plays it & i would think relatively easy to take as equipment is minimal & facilities or fitness not required.
Steady hand though, which given the drunkeness of eL fans rules most of us out... :D

Gotta be a sport with cooler performance enhancing drugs than beta blockers though...

patsh
08/07/2005, 9:37 AM
Yeah but you still have to be able to hit the target, AND achieve a consistent scoring ratio over a period of time in high class competitions to be allowed onto the team by the Fuehrer Hickey.

Surely Softball is easy enough?
It's being dropped after Beijing, but that must have been fairly easy to get into if a group of people made a determined effort.....

Metrostars
08/07/2005, 4:10 PM
Olympics Softball is a girls only sport plus the team would have to play other countries to qualify.

I would suggest Curling for the Winter Olympics and either Shooting or Archery for the Summer Olympics.

Curling: http://chronicle.augusta.com/images/headlines/021502/OLYMPICS_CURLING2.jpg

Shooting: http://www.athens2004.com/Images/Banners/ATHENS2004OlympicGames/shootingATHENS2004.jpg

Archery: http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39981000/jpg/_39981442_koreanarchers203.jpg

Metrostars
08/07/2005, 4:11 PM
Fencing??? :confused:

Fencing is actually a very difficult sport to get the hang of. Also everyone likes to joke about the Synchronised Swimming but I met a girl over here a while back and she was telling me about how it works. The breathing and not touching the bottom of the pool the most important aspects of getting it right. Gave me more of an appreciation for the sport.

Jim Smith
08/07/2005, 4:49 PM
I would suggest Curling for the Winter Olympics...
Lack of an ice-rink in the Republic might be an obstacle but if you can have Caribbean Winter Olympic Teams and that guy who slid down the ice on a tea-tray (Luge? one of the craziest things I've ever seen) for Ireland I don't see why not. Curling might be harder than it looks though...

Superhoops
08/07/2005, 6:27 PM
Fencing is actually a very difficult sport to get the hang of.....
Yeah, trying to make sure you don't get caught up in the barbed wire while driving in a staple with a hammer into a wobbly post, needs good hand/eye co-ordination.

I'm just leaving!!!!!! :D

liam88
08/07/2005, 7:04 PM
Lack of an ice-rink in the Republic might be an obstacle

Are there really no Ice Rinks in the Republic?

hamish
08/07/2005, 7:17 PM
Yeah, trying to make sure you don't get caught up in the barbed wire while driving in a staple with a hammer into a wobbly post, needs good hand/eye co-ordination.

That's the reply I just knew would come.LOL :D

Metrostars
08/07/2005, 7:48 PM

Good one. I expect a Gold Medal to be heading Cork's way in the next Olympics. And steroids-free. :p

hamish
08/07/2005, 9:08 PM
Good one. I expect a Gold Medal to be heading Cork's way in the next Olympics. And steroids-free. :p

Agree with what you said about Fencing above. I do enjoy it when it's on TV. Fascinating sport.
Glad I resisted the temptation to add the barbed wire etc because Superhoops did a vastly superior - and funnier - version than I could have even dreamed doing.
One can always rely on other Footiepersons to come up with the goods. :D

crc
08/07/2005, 10:51 PM
that guy who slid down the ice on a tea-tray (Luge? one of the craziest things I've ever seen) for Ireland I don't see why not. If you've got the balls, I think luge would be easy to get into. It probably is expensive to get time on a real track, and you really need to have balls the size of watermellons (not literally - wind resistance :p ), but apart from that, yeah why not? :D

monutdfc
12/07/2005, 1:42 PM
Also everyone likes to joke about the Synchronised Swimming but I met a girl over here a while back and she was telling me about how it works. The breathing and not touching the bottom of the pool the most important aspects of getting it right. Gave me more of an appreciation for the sport.

Agree with that 100%. The height they get out of the water is amazing (I've played water polo (badly), so I know how difficult and strenuous it is), and they keep smiling all the time!

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 7:06 PM
Canoeing anyone?

Wasnt there a a refugee who pretended he was disabled to get himself over here for the Special Olympics? Just a thought :D

[Troy slaps his wrist for not being more PC]

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 7:53 PM
No way. There's about 236 gazillion canoeists in France who eat, drink and sleep it. Plus there's a lot of strength and training involved.
Ya but we dont live in France (speaking of which, Olympic Handball is one, there's not too many at that)

Shooting. A 2 month stint in Limerick oughtta be plenty enough practice...
<snigger> :D
Maybe also if they brought in fencing with daggers instead of swords?

hamish
13/07/2005, 9:57 PM
Shooting. A 2 month stint in Limerick oughtta be plenty enough practice...

Ah Jeez, lads, now, keep it country. :D