PDA

View Full Version : Ireland reach Cricket World Cup

gspain
07/07/2005, 6:01 PM
Ireland defeated Denamrk today by 73 runs to top the group and thus qualify for the World Cup in the West Indies in 2007.

Great boost for Irish cricket.

It looks like we will meet Canada in the semi finals on saturday in Clontarf. However the main aim of this tournament has always been world cup qualification.

shedite
07/07/2005, 6:36 PM
Savage!!! That's actually a really good competition. I hate test matches and english club stuff but the one dy world cup last time was class. There's a fair chance of some upsets too. Was in Canada last time or Holland or something that caused a bit of an upset.

Slash/ED
07/07/2005, 6:40 PM
I wonder will this get any coverage in 2007 at all?

gspain
07/07/2005, 6:52 PM
I wonder will this get any coverage in 2007 at all?

Of course - we will get fantastic tv exposure in the Wes tIndies, Indian sub continent, Australia and the UK.

RTE will continue to ignore it as they will be showing the premiership, celtic or some mickey mouse GAA game.

Slash/ED
07/07/2005, 6:57 PM
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of cricket in the world I'll admit (Never watch it at all in fact) but RTE would have to at least give some kind of coverage to an Irish team playing at the highest level of the sport*

*Again I know nothing about the sport, I'm assumeing this world cup would be considered the highest level?

jorge
07/07/2005, 7:14 PM
Not the biguest Cricket fan but great news all the same.Irish Cricket looks like its on the up.

shedite
07/07/2005, 7:58 PM
Yeah this is the highest level. The top 11 teams in the world qualify automatically and the 5 best from the tournament that's going on at the moment in Ireland.

All the games will be live on sky anyway.

patsh
07/07/2005, 8:17 PM
Excellent news.
I would suspect though that Sky have the rights for the World Cup well sown up by now....:(

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2005, 9:05 PM
Yes and their best player is probably going to be playing for England by then :(

Mayo Red
07/07/2005, 9:27 PM
Wouldn't be a fan of Cricket, but fair play to them!

sligoman
07/07/2005, 9:30 PM
Wouldn't be a fan of Cricket, but fair play to them!

Same as above but thing is I HATE CRICKET! Well done to them anyway

RĂ©iteoir
07/07/2005, 9:40 PM
Yes and their best player is probably going to be playing for England by then :(

I think Joyce has said he will play for Ireland instead.

He might do what Dougie Brown did in 1999 - played for England in Test Matches before the tournament but turned out for Scotland in the World Cup

pete
07/07/2005, 10:07 PM
I think Joyce has said he will play for Ireland instead.

Was he the guy who was going to play for England?

:(

Aberdonian Stu
08/07/2005, 9:15 AM
Well he probably will play for them as he'll be eligible next summer I think. Quality player who needs to play at test level. Ireland are still some way off that (despite this great achievement) so England is his only option really.

gspain
08/07/2005, 2:03 PM
The England test team also represents both of these islands even if they probably won't have a lot of support from around here in the Ashes series.

This is very different from a footballer choosing to play for England rather than us or indeed a rugby player like Kyran Bracken declaring for England despite being born and educated in Dublin.

Poor Student
08/07/2005, 2:52 PM
Why is the test team called England? Should they not just call it Great Britain and Ireland or something like the Lions seeming as it takes it all from these islands?

Aberdonian Stu
08/07/2005, 3:34 PM
Well I'll be up for them anyway, but isn't it the England and Wales Cricket Board so how technically do they represent both islands?

Not trying to start some sectarian piffle, like I said I will be up for England in the Ashes, just wondering what area they actually do govern (in a sporting sense!).

crazyaxel
08/07/2005, 9:43 PM
come on ireland do u tink sky will show any of the irish matches

gspain
09/07/2005, 9:21 PM
Well over 3 hours after Ireland beat Canada to reach the ICC Final Aertel have results to follow.

Sheridan
09/07/2005, 9:43 PM
Well over 3 hours after Ireland beat Canada to reach the ICC Final Aertel have results to follow.
In fairness, that seems to be an oversight on subpage 2. The previous page carries a full report. Media coverage of this tournament was outrageously scant, however. :mad:

For the record, the result was as follows:

Canada: 238-9 (50 overs.)
Ireland: 241-6 (49.2 overs.)

Ireland face Scotland, who defeated Bermuda in the other semi, in Wednesday's final.

Thunderblaster
09/07/2005, 10:14 PM
What a great occasion for Irish sport. :rolleyes: I'm sure that people will be attending cricket grounds in their droves and the pubs will be packed with punters watching......cricket :rolleyes: I cannot imagine George Hamilton commentating a cricket game or Ger Canning or Jimmy Magee. I don't think people personally care about Ireland qualifying for the Cricket World Cup and endure watching some boring crap on telly. Sleeping would be more exciting. :D

Plastic Paddy
10/07/2005, 6:56 AM
No Thunderblaster, don't sit on the fence - say what you really mean... :D

:ball: PP

gspain
10/07/2005, 9:06 AM
In fairness, that seems to be an oversight on subpage 2. The previous page carries a full report. Media coverage of this tournament was outrageously scant, however. :mad:

For the record, the result was as follows:

Canada: 238-9 (50 overs.)
Ireland: 241-6 (49.2 overs.)

Ireland face Scotland, who defeated Bermuda in the other semi, in Wednesday's final.

I checked RTE 1 (Sky Digital) a few times from 3pm. Only 1 page with the fixtures and results to follow right up until 9pm. I did see the report next time I checked after 10pm.

I had checked Aertel but Newstalk had a reporter at the game.

gspain
11/07/2005, 10:08 AM
I know there has been a lot of talk about Ed Joyce . . . I'm in two minds over this.
Yes he would be better off playing at a higher level, and that is undoubtedly England, but what class of an Irishman would do that?
I'm not into all this passport-switching that some people love. I live in England, my wife is English and I like it here but I'll die with that Irish passport of mine.

I'm not that well up on eligibility rules but I don't think you need a British passport to play for England.

Even playing for Middlesex he is already at a level well above the Irish team. I still stand by my original argument and say good luck to him.

Would you feel the same if Sonia O'Sullivan had defected to Australia last year?

stickyjoe
11/07/2005, 10:40 AM
agree with you there gspain.
would love to see Ed stay and play for us but I can`t argue with him if he does decide to play for england. alrhough it would be strange watching him play for england :)

roll on the west indies 2007. might be a bit hot over there for the leprechaun suits ;)

Ash
11/07/2005, 11:33 AM
I cannot imagine George Hamilton commentating a cricket game or Ger Canning or Jimmy Magee.

Nah, it'd have to go to Peter Collins ... he must have commentated on every
other sport rte have shown!

swinfordfc
11/07/2005, 11:44 AM
Well done to the irish team hope they beat scotland to win this trophy!!!!! ireland in cricket world cup lads that sounds good :cool:

Stuttgart88
11/07/2005, 12:03 PM
I know there has been a lot of talk about Ed Joyce . . . I'm in two minds over this.
Yes he would be better off playing at a higher level, and that is undoubtedly England, but what class of an Irishman would do that?
I'm not into all this passport-switching that some people love. I live in England, my wife is English and I like it here but I'll die with that Irish passport of mine.

I think Cricket's unique in that there are only 11 (?) test playing nations so it's not as if he's really turning his back on Ireland to play for England. I actually think it'd be great to have an Irishman playing test cricket & it'd do the status of Irish cricket the world of good. I'm sick of offering objective criticism of England's Test performance over the years only to be rebuffed with "well we're better than Ireland" type nonsense.

Good luck to him. Not sure it'd be enough to get me to support them though!

I'm not sure passport switching is required either. I think residency is the only criterion.

As fot the ICC Trophy: Ireland vs Scotland on Wednesday. Ed Joyce is being flown back by Middx I hear. Come on you toffs in green!

Live score updates can be got by going to www.icctrophy2005.org

RĂ©iteoir
11/07/2005, 6:41 PM
Ireland come under the juristriction of the ECB (or in it's old entity - the Test and County Cricket Board - TCCB)

Ireland are permitted to play in the C&G Trophy - and have been for years - I remember going down each year to watch them play Worcestershire in the B&H Trophy (they had a certain Alan Lewis playing for them in those days - he's now too busy refereeing International Rugby to turn out for the cricket team)

Joyce should et dispensation to play for Ireland in the World Cup if he did play Test cricket for England (as with Dougie Brown playing for Scotland and England).

Each year England play Wales in a one-day friendly in Cardiff - you get players like Robert Croft turning out for Wales but then playing for England in the Test Series. iirc Wales beat England in the last such game :D

And finally - some of the England side aren't English anyway - Andy Caddick was born and brought up in Australia and I think Pietersen is actually South African

Pauro 76
12/07/2005, 11:20 AM
going to be weird cheering on Ireland in the cricket. Like many Irish people I havent a notion about what the game is about, and not particularly bothered either, but ill cheer them on nonetheless.... :)

Macy
12/07/2005, 11:29 AM
And finally - some of the England side aren't English anyway - Andy Caddick was born and brought up in Australia and I think Pietersen is actually South African
Caddick was/is a Kiwi rather than an Aussie.

Schumi
12/07/2005, 1:08 PM
Anyone going to the final tomorrow?

gspain
12/07/2005, 4:16 PM
Anyone going to the final tomorrow?

No would like. I am on holidays and all but decided to go to Belfast to cheer on Shels. Football always wins out.

Good luck to Ireland though.

tayto repairman
12/07/2005, 9:01 PM
you can be from any country in the world and still play for england as long as you play first class county cricket there.

a whole host of foreigners have played for england over the years - inc. allan lamb, robin smith, andy caddick, chris broad, graeme hick, phil defrictas, devon malcolm, chris lewis and gladstone small & alex tudor.

well done to the irish lads. :)

razor
21/07/2005, 9:06 AM
Final Groups for next years World cup have been finalised.

Confirmed World Cup Pools

Pool 1 - St Kitts - Australia, South Africa, Holland, Scotland
Pool 2 - Trinidad - Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Bermuda
Pool 3 - St Lucia - New Zealand, England, Kenya, Canada
Pool 4 - Jamaica - West Indies, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Ireland

Partizan
20/08/2005, 12:03 PM
Looks like we're off to Jamaica mon :p

Rory H
20/08/2005, 12:11 PM
st patricks day in jamaica....watching cricket

:rolleyes: see you there!!!

thejollyrodger
20/08/2005, 12:12 PM
pakistan and west indies look like top teams..can we make it out of our group ?

bigmac
21/08/2005, 12:35 AM
pakistan and west indies look like top teams..can we make it out of our group ?

not a hope unfortunately. maybe if we had been in the group with 2 non-test playing nations but they have the Aussies and S. Africans there so I doubt it. Also depends on whether Zimbabwe put out a proper team or a political team made up of Mugabe supporters. We did beat the WIndies the last time they were here though so nothing is impossible, should be great atmosphere at that game. I think the Pakistan game is on St. Patrick's Day btw.