PDA

View Full Version : Whats your second favourite eL team?

Pages : [1] 2

CollegeTillIDie
06/07/2005, 10:13 PM
Well I like all the other Dublin Clubs equally which puts them 3rd on the list.
I like Waterford United. Cause the teacher who taught me how to kick a ball was a League of Ireland supporter... of Waterford..back in the 1970's when they were the League Champions in 1971/72 and 1972/73.

dfx-
06/07/2005, 10:21 PM
University College Dublin.

Followed by Derry.. :)

Slash/ED
06/07/2005, 10:21 PM
Where's the shels reserves option?

RedX
06/07/2005, 10:22 PM
I always had a soft spot for Galway and would love to see them in the premier..i really do hope Limerick and Cobh can get up also though..

I can now see a wave of Sligo fans saying why dont you like us.. :D

Slash/ED
06/07/2005, 10:27 PM
Dundalk for me. They gave us Steve Williams, they took Ger McCarthy and Thomas Morgan off our hands. The only black spot is they also provided us with Crawley.

A face
06/07/2005, 10:35 PM
Bohs ..... because they are a team that has tried to play good technical football all the time (still think Stephen Kenny got a raw deal though) and they are good to watch and play against even if we dont always get the results.

Troy.McClure
06/07/2005, 10:40 PM
UCD for me, but Derry Bohs and De Town also get respect. Geographically speaking, Id love Galway and Limerick to get up, with a Pale team going down.

Plastic Paddy
06/07/2005, 10:43 PM
Thurles Town. :eek:

:confused: Wha...?!? :confused:

:ball: PP

hamish
06/07/2005, 10:44 PM
I like Waterford United. Cause the teacher who taught me how to kick a ball was a League of Ireland supporter... of Waterford..

:D :D

Stevo Da Gull
06/07/2005, 10:47 PM
I said Shels, why?.. Jayo :cool: (although I was happy when Derry beat them [guess its just nice to c teams nocked off their perch as long as it's not your own ;) ] )

In Div1 I'm rootin for Limerick.

I also have soft spots for Galway, Harps,Derry, Mons and probably a few others that I've forgotten coz I'm feelin kinda tired.

OneRedArmy
06/07/2005, 10:53 PM
Dundalk for me. They gave us Steve Williams, they took Ger McCarthy and Thomas Morgan off our hands. The only black spot is they also provided us with Crawley.

Its always me, me, me, me, me.......... :D

Slash/ED
06/07/2005, 10:57 PM
Its always me, me, me, me, me.......... :D

Well I had to vote someone, may as well be for those reasons, I was hardly going to vote Derry now was I? ;)

dcfcsteve
06/07/2005, 10:58 PM
A much better poll than the tired old 'who do you dislike most' one which gets dusted off and wheeled out in some form at least once a year.

Though on this one we can't see who's voted for who :(

Anyways - it's Harps for me. Up the North-west !

Slash/ED
06/07/2005, 11:03 PM
Though on this one we can't see who's voted for who :(

Just wait for the Cork vote to shoot up when word of this gets out :p

sligoman
06/07/2005, 11:07 PM
Longford for me as they seem like an ok bunch and Rovers fans have always had a fairly good relationship with them lot :D

terry9
06/07/2005, 11:07 PM
Just wait for the Cork vote to shoot up when word of this gets out :p

true :p

sligoman
06/07/2005, 11:08 PM
I can now see a wave of Sligo fans saying why dont you like us.. :D

Hey, why dont you like us?:mad: :D

Éanna
06/07/2005, 11:21 PM
This is a public poll, so don't bother voting for your own team!

Galway Utd for me, because I have family from there. Longford and Derry very close in joint 3rd though.

sligoman
06/07/2005, 11:23 PM
WTF?:confused:. This is already posted, ah sure I'll vote again so :D

Éanna
06/07/2005, 11:25 PM
WTF?:confused:. This is already posted, ah sure I'll vote again so :D
Yeah, sorry about that. I re-did it because the first poll wasn't public, and I was afraid people would be tempted to cheat :eek: So, ye'll have to vote again folks, sorry :( :o

sligoman
06/07/2005, 11:27 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I re-did it because the first poll wasn't public, and I was afraid people would be tempted to cheat :eek: So, ye'll have to vote again folks, sorry :( :o

Hey it says I already voted but my name aint there, I picked Longford

town73
06/07/2005, 11:37 PM
Sligeach. I read a book a number of years ago by the name of 'There's Only One Red Army', written by a fantastic writer by the name of Eamonn Sweeney. Great read. Have had a soft spot for Rovers since.

sligoman
06/07/2005, 11:42 PM
Sligeach. I read a book a number of years ago by the name of 'There's Only One Red Army', written by a fantastic writer by the name of Eamonn Sweeney. Great read. Have had a soft spot for Rovers since.

Yes, it is a top book. I have voted for Longford too;).

Dr.Nightdub
06/07/2005, 11:44 PM
Rovers.
1. Cos no-one'd believe me if I said any different :rolleyes:
2. Cos (and I'm choosing my words VERY carefully here ;) ) the Rovers fans I know are a sound bunch of lads to go on the batter with

sligoman
06/07/2005, 11:48 PM
Rovers.
1. Cos no-one'd believe me if I said any different :rolleyes:
2. Cos (and I'm choosing my words VERY carefully here ;) ) the Rovers fans I know are a sound bunch of lads to go on the batter with

You should stress which Rovers you mean, their are two of them you know :rolleyes:

saints alive
07/07/2005, 12:13 AM
I always have a soft spot for derry city because of there history and the hurdles they overcame to play in the league. When they came into the league they took alot of clubs out of ahole with there massive support, and its a great place for aweekend.

Speranza
07/07/2005, 12:38 AM
Cork simply because I've always been taught its "rebel" territory. Have a soft spot for Pats because they are a good honest Dub club with no hollies or dodgy charimen, and the S.E.I impressed me on a number of occasions.If Rover's fans are full of passion and generally sound, if they get out of their current mare and root out the scum then the 400 club will have to be lauded as heroes by every el fan so they would be up their too.

1 9 2 8
07/07/2005, 6:38 AM
I voted for no one fcuk ye all :D

sonofstan
07/07/2005, 7:52 AM
Athlone beacuse I used to support them an aeon ago...... soft spots for Pats - decent fans - Derry (ditto), Cork sometimes, Sligo Rovers

EnDai
07/07/2005, 8:27 AM
Dundalk. Familial reasonings.

BrayZil
07/07/2005, 8:38 AM
I voted Derry - I think they are the best fans in the league and they always make us feel welcome in the Brandywell.

Roo69
07/07/2005, 8:45 AM
I would'nt have a 2nd "Favourite" team, but i would always look out for the teams that i nkow blokes who play of the teams. St. Pats and Rovers, but i do have a bit of a soft spot for UCD.

Cosmo
07/07/2005, 8:56 AM
I think this poll is a bit gay :rolleyes:

BohDiddley
07/07/2005, 11:01 AM
Pat's. (If I wasn't a Bohemian I'd probably be a junkie! :eek: )
Because:

it's a proper club, rooted in the community
great supporters -- hoolie-free yet passionate despite lack of success recently -- put spoilt Shels fans to shame
friendly vibe at Richmond: always enjoy going there, despite seats made for midgets
Caffo
a bit of oul' Dublin

In spite of: the gloss went off a bit with that saddo 'Easy' chant when they beat our u-21s

terry9
07/07/2005, 11:12 AM
who voted cobh?

patsh
07/07/2005, 11:15 AM
who voted cobh?
I did. I often take a jaunt down to St. Colman's to freeze my nuts off and bore myself to death watching them, but I'd love them to make a real push for promotion and then stay in the premier league.

Conor H
07/07/2005, 12:28 PM
Cork.....We seem to get on with there fans and all of them who i met at both cup games were pure sound.I like Derry to though.

Macy
07/07/2005, 12:30 PM
I think this poll is a bit gay :rolleyes:
ffs you're obsessed.... :D

pineapple stu
07/07/2005, 12:31 PM
Limerick for me - no better reason than because I was born there.

wws
07/07/2005, 12:35 PM
Pat's. (If I wasn't a Bohemian I'd probably be a junkie! :eek: )
Because:

it's a proper club, rooted in the community
great supporters -- hoolie-free yet passionate despite lack of success recently -- put spoilt Shels fans to shame
friendly vibe at Richmond: always enjoy going there, despite seats made for midgets
Caffo
a bit of oul' Dublin

In spite of: the gloss went off a bit with that saddo 'Easy' chant when they beat our u-21s

"Easy, Easy" is this seasons "Hey, Hey Baby - Oooh AHH" or "such and such - ure havin a laugh" - funny at first - than done to death by everyone - and now just plain irritating

Macy
07/07/2005, 12:38 PM
Pats for me.

Sound fans, McDowells is a great pre and post match pub, old school ground, old school fans, Town have a great record in Richer...

Would've been my neutral ground of choice when I lived in Dublin.

Probably could develop into Bray given my location now and into the future, however, I really really hate Pat Devlin, so it won't for the time being.

pineapple stu
07/07/2005, 12:39 PM
Sound fans
:eek: :confused:

I'd have Pat's fans second only to Rovers in the scumbag stakes (note - this isn't meant to tar all Pat's fans, so don't go in a huff if you are a Pat's fan...)

Poor Student
07/07/2005, 12:41 PM
St. Pats. They're Dublin, they're near me, they're not Bohs or Rovers. I go watch them the odd time when UCD are out of town and my brother used to watch them when I was smaller and tell me about them.

Of course I don't really like any other team that much. At some stage I want all teams to win or lose if it suits UCD's interests. Currently I am hoping Pats keep losing this year to keep them below us.

Macy
07/07/2005, 12:45 PM

I'd have Pat's fans second only to Rovers in the scumbag stakes (note - this isn't meant to tar all Pat's fans, so don't go in a huff if you are a Pat's fan...)
Sure they're not all as bad as wws... :D

Bar annoying kids, haven't had any problems. And far more annoying kids in the eL than Pats (Bray and Waterford spring immediately to mind).

pineapple stu
07/07/2005, 12:48 PM
And far more annoying kids in the eL than Pats (Bray and Waterford spring immediately to mind).
Bray is possibly true. Going to Waterford for the first time on Saturday (only Hogan Park left now...), so thanks for making me look forward to that trip! :p

DvB
07/07/2005, 12:56 PM
Easy decision, Harps for me no problem! Always have a great bit of banter with them home or away!
And of course we had the pleasure of stuffing them 10-2 in their first game :D

Koh

BohDiddley
07/07/2005, 1:02 PM

It depends on what you mean by scumbag. I suppose looking from the dizzy heights of Belfied anyone with a hint of Dublin working class, i.e almost the entire EL Dublin support, is a 'scumbag'. (Similar applies to the Sligo poster who cited the accent as one of his reasons for hating Shels: a) that's about the only genuine thing they've got! b) WTF! - are you saying that with a Sligo accent!!!?)
Sure, Pats have a few messers, but I don't have to think hard before bringing family to a Pats game. No Pats fan has ever charged a stand where my sprogs have been or might have been.
Bray and Shels are worst in league for scut (as opposed to scum) control. Bohs could potentially have a scut nuisance too, but generally steward it properly, which, incidentally, isn't hard.
There! In a thread devoted to EL ecumenism, I've managed to dis at least four other clubs! :p

pineapple stu
07/07/2005, 1:18 PM
It depends on what you mean by scumbag. I suppose looking from the dizzy heights of Belfied anyone with a hint of Dublin working class, i.e almost the entire EL Dublin support, is a 'scumbag'.
True, you scumbag! :) An example or two, I suppose. I remember when Rob McAuley was injured - broke his ankle I think - two years ago in a challenge from a Pat's player (he got sent off), Pat's fans near me were shouting abuse at him and telling him to get up and calling his a faker and a wánker (obviously with copious f***er and b***ards in there too). Obviously you get that at a lot of other grounds too, but Pat's fans managed so much more vitriol than other fans I've heard. Of course, when the tables turn, the ref is instantly a ****** for not sending off the player who wronged theirs.

You've got the kids who throw stuff at you - maybe no worse than a lot of other grounds, but certainly no better either. I've also had an ongoing thing with the brother of a kid I went after for robbing my bag (Pat's fans found this very funny and encouraged him); the brother keeps recognising me every game and pointing it out... There was also a game when I caught the ball and held on to it to waste time (the game was 2-2 when we were bottom of the table...I suppose I shouldn't start these kind of things so often! :) Doesn't excuse Pat's fans for responding the way they did.) and some Pat's fan (not a kid) tried to push me over to get the ball off me. I held on to the ball, and the next thing there were a few of them (again not kids) coming up, one saying something like yer man was his nephew and started starting on me.

I've met Pat's fans abroad at Ireland games and had good craic, I should point out. However, this thread is highly subjective, so those various incidents (not had anything like them at any other Dublin derby except Rovers) unfortunately cloud my views.

Anyway, I voted for Drogheda! :)

Cosmo
07/07/2005, 1:21 PM
'Anyway, I voted for Drogheda!'

I hope you get over your thing for Mr Doolin soon - you should try and get help for it seen as its eating ye up so much ;)

Slash/ED
07/07/2005, 1:21 PM
In fairness your first paragraph could and would apply to any team in this or any league.

There's far worse 'scum' elements than at Pats