PDA

View Full Version : Teenage girl 'sleepwalks' up 130ft crane

sligoman
06/07/2005, 12:22 PM
A teenage sleepwalker has been rescued after being found asleep at the top of a 130ft crane.

Police were called to Underhill Road, Dulwich, south east London after a passer-by spotted the 15-year-old girl curled up on top of a concrete counterweight high above the ground.

The girl, who has not been named, had apparently managed to climb up the crane and walk across a narrow metal beam while fast asleep.

It is believed the girl walked unnoticed out of her home near a building site.

Police and the fire service were called to the scene amid fears she was about to throw herself off but when a firefighter crawled up the crane he found her sleeping.

The rescue operation took two and a half hours and the girl was finally brought down in a hydraulic lift at 4am.

A police spokeswoman said she was taken to hospital for a check-up but was allowed home when she was found to be unharmed.

Irshaad Ebrhim, of the London Sleep Centre, said he had treated people who had driven cars and ridden horses whilst asleep.

He said one patient "even attempted to fly a helicopter".

He said: "Sleepwalking is nothing to do with dreaming because it occurs in a non-dreaming sleep state."

Sleepwalking affects one in ten people at least once in their lives.

Most incidents are short and are not dangerous but it can sometime result in injury.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050706/356/fmqc8.html

dcfcsteve
06/07/2005, 3:40 PM
A great story of a load of mates of mine from Belfast who did a Summer stint in Ocean City a few years back, working on the Ice-cream vans.

One of the lads is a notorious sleep-walker, and got up in the middle of the night, pulled the window of the shared-bedroom open, and started serving imaginary 99's out the window !

He also punched a horse another time, but that's a whoooooole different story.... :eek:

Dangeroys sh!t this sleep-walking caper..... :D

paul_oshea
06/07/2005, 3:43 PM
there was a case in america, of a detetive in who slept walked, and "slept killed" his neighbours, the ironic thing is he was the guy investigating the murders. he found himself out by the footprints from outside one of the houses, they matched his own. but he got off because of this condition. did anyone else read about this?

paul_oshea
06/07/2005, 3:49 PM
that leads to another story actually, a mate of mine sleep walks and we were all in 2nd year when we went on a cycling trip around the west of ireland.we were sleeping in bunk beds and the sleepwalking mate was on the bunk at the back of the room on top.anyhow we all went to sleep and when i woke up the next morning i looked across at one of the lads in the bottom bunk only to find the two boys in the same bunk under the same cover. LOL was the funniest things i have ever seen of course everyone else was asleep but i roared as loud as i could to wake everyone up to see what was going on.LOL :D

he swore it was him sleepwalking. :D