PDA

View Full Version : Backdoor/Sidedoor/Trapdoor into Europe

James
23/03/2002, 6:08 PM
Ok with Pats/Francis deducted 15 points it looks like we aint out of it yet, in the race for a inter-two-bob cup place

League Table

$hel$ 32 : 63 points Champions
----------------------------------------------
Rovers 32 : 54 points UEFA Cup
------------------------------------------------------
Bohs 31 : 49 points *Must win FAI Cup
Derry 32 : 48 points
UCD 32 : 47point
Pats 30 : 46 points
Cork 31 : 46 points
Bray 31 : 45 points

*if bohs win FAI cup 4th place get Inter Toto trip to Eastern Europe :)

James
23/03/2002, 6:11 PM
So for us to scrape into europe we need bohs to beat dundalk in the cup .. very likely IMO

then 4th place in the league becomes a Intertoto spot if bohs finish in 3rd place

So IMO its between us and a gaggle of other clubs, Derry, Pats, UCD and Bray

Matches Left

Bohs
Pats away
$hels home

Derry City
Cork City home

UCD
Bray home

Pats/Francis
Dundalk away
Bohs home
Longford away

Cork City
mons home
derry away

Bray
dundalk home
UCD away

James
23/03/2002, 6:28 PM
for us to qualify we still need to win both matches left monaghan tomoro and also derry away in a week but we also need pats to slip up somewhereas they still have it in their own hands by winning all 3 of their games left

Neil
23/03/2002, 6:41 PM
I'd like to see Derry City get it. Cork City have enough problems to sort out at home without going on holidays to Slovakia or somewhere.

Strange that with 2 games left City could easily finish just above releagation or with a spot in Europe.

James
24/03/2002, 1:58 AM
i know what you're saying neil and upuntil Brian Lennox taking over city i would agree that we dont need a euro game, but going on what he has said about investing in a more pro aspect for the club , then i'd love to see the young player of city get more experiance in europe, cause we do have the makings of a good side.. despite the obvious dead weight

and it might give a new excitement to the club city.. if we actually progress a round like we could have done last year (if morely had got the peno, and jimmy mull hadnt gone head butting players in latvia :) )

it would also give us a boost crowd wise in the summer soccer season.. maybe play the euro game under lights.. packed cross ..we'd scare the bejesus out of em

but if we dont get it i'd love to see derry get it
anyone but Set Peice Atletic incorporating St Francis

ccfcman
24/03/2002, 8:59 AM
no its not an invasion but look out for a funky lookin cameroon flag................compliments of the colquay for €6!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pete
24/03/2002, 10:38 PM
So after todays win I see our main competition for the toto are Pats who have 3 hard games.

Dundalk away where Dundalk who have to win & have been doing well lately.
Bohs at home always be hard for them
Longford away where Longford might still need point sto avoid auto relegation.

We would still have to beat Derry at the Brandywell.

Maybe I might make the baltics this summer ;)

James
24/03/2002, 10:45 PM
yea yea pete talk is cheap, remember last year ..ya bailed out on us at the last minute,

pete any idea when the toto cup would be played though what with the worlld cup on and all, or would that interfere at all ?

pete
24/03/2002, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure but I think i remember the 23/24th of June mentioned.

Just checked the calendar & they are weekend days so be something in it.

By that stage i'd say the WC 1/4 finals might even be over so Mick 'n the boys be on their way home by then surely. Interest in the Wc starts to die from then on anyway was usually a few days gap between rounds as opposed to the saturation coverage for the first 2 weeks.

joe
24/03/2002, 11:03 PM
James,

you may have stumbled across uefa.com (http://www.uefa.com/competitions/IntertotoCup/news/Kind=1/newsId=15678.html) at some stage in your life :D

James
24/03/2002, 11:12 PM
nope sry joe uefa.com rings no bells

patsh
25/03/2002, 7:18 AM
Maybe a Euro place would not be the best thing for City, but €34,000 per round is not too shabby....:)

James
25/03/2002, 11:42 AM
exactly and this time there is the added bonus of not having to bring the entire staff and friends from O Mahony packaging along on a junket also...so thats gota make the whole trip alot cheaper :D

pete
25/03/2002, 11:57 AM
I think its all well in good saying it might be better to skip the inter-toto this season but since it probably starts this season only a week or two before the league season i see little disadvantage in competing in.

WE miss europe when we're no in it so IMO we should still strive for it.

James
25/03/2002, 7:12 PM
well looks like we aint gona make it now anyway..pats beating bohs 2-0 latest score doesnt bode well for us

patsh
26/03/2002, 8:05 AM
Yeah, Set Piece need only to win one of their 2 games, as their goals for is +29 and ours is only +10. Can't see both Dundalk and Longford holding them to a draw or beating them.