PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Kenny vote of confidence - Second referendum

tetsujin1979
08/09/2021, 4:55 PM
Following this week's performances and results, the mods were asked to revisit this poll from a few months ago - https://foot.ie/threads/265641-Poll-Stephen-Kenny-vote-of-confidence

Has your opinion of the national team's manager changed since then?

tetsujin1979
08/09/2021, 4:58 PM
Poll will run until Monday

passinginterest
08/09/2021, 5:10 PM
Interestingly the Journal had a poll today too and it's 73% either happy or unsure about performance to date versus only 27% not happy. For me one of the more surprising things has been the relatively high support still evident in news article comments and social media comments. Based on here I'd have thought it was heading towards 60% at least not happy, but in the real (online) world it's been much more akin to the Journal poll.
https://www.thejournal.ie/stephen-kenny-ireland-manager-2-5543535-Sep2021/

CraftyToePoke
08/09/2021, 5:27 PM
The YBIG poll is interesting, its a straight Y or N to a contract extension for SK. Its running at almost 82% yes with almost 100 votes in.

osarusan
08/09/2021, 7:32 PM
D, L, D, D, L, L, L, D, L, L, D, W, D, L, D, D.

7 losses, 8 draws, 1 victory.

Notwithstanding the weakness of the squad, the brokeness of the FAI and other valid issues, that record, and the calibre of some of the teams we have failed to beat, is appalling.

I don't see any signs that he is improving the team, or that we really are building something long-term. We do need a long-term plan, but I don't see him as the guy to be entrusted with it.

He should go.

Diggs246
08/09/2021, 7:39 PM
I fear we will see a dark night ( not batman) against Luxembourg away and that will be his waterloo, so for me he is a no

SkStu
08/09/2021, 7:40 PM
D, L, L, D, L, L, L, D, L, L, D, W, D, L, D, D.

8 losses, 7 draws, 1 victory.

Notwithstanding the weakness of the squad, the brokeness of the FAI and other valid issues, that record, and the calibre of some of the teams we have failed to beat, is appalling.

I don't see any signs that he is improving the team, or that we really are building something long-term. We do need a long-term plan, but I don't see him as the guy to be entrusted with it.

He should go.

I'm not sure it will sway your vote Osa but it is actually 7 losses, 8 draws and 1 victory. :)

Diggs246
08/09/2021, 7:49 PM
The YBIG poll is interesting, its a straight Y or N to a contract extension for SK. Its running at almost 82% yes with almost 100 votes in.!
Surely that alone should change your mind! Also Mr. Eamonn Dunphy is in agreement with you!!

osarusan
08/09/2021, 7:56 PM
I'm not sure it will sway your vote Osa but it is actually 7 losses, 8 draws and 1 victory. :)
Thanks, the site I took it from had the Slovakia shoot-out listed as a loss. Edited now.

SkStu
08/09/2021, 7:59 PM
Thanks, the site I took it from had the Slovakia shoot-out listed as a loss. Edited now.

No worries - i will ask Tets if he can reset your vote... LOL :D

CraftyToePoke
08/09/2021, 8:44 PM
!
Surely that alone should change your mind! Also Mr. Eamonn Dunphy is in agreement with you!!

Shhhhhh yer noise there.

Bielsa´s irish
09/09/2021, 7:04 AM
His imagen running to celebrate a freak own goal, a Benny Hill Show or Monty Python kind of goal decides myself against Kenny. He did a few things ok but this is foitball. He has to take the best out of his playera. His best game was his first with James McCarthy pulling the strings

Bielsa´s irish
09/09/2021, 7:08 AM
I will make him run out this qualification. Will make an arrangement and would get another guy with a proven CV.

OwlsFan
09/09/2021, 11:56 AM
I would say let's see how we get on against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan away to see whether we are making any progress.

John83
09/09/2021, 7:28 PM
I'm curious what it would take for some of his defenders to turn on Kenny. If he were to get another solitary point from Luxembourg and Azerbaijan away, would you still back him?

I don't think he'll do that badly: I think he'll get 2-4 points in those games, but I think 1 point is rather more likely than 6. Personally, I think 4 points would barely be good enough, but it seems he can keep losing and be backed.

I find this a bit incredible. I remember far more successful Ireland managers - granted, with better squads - being absolutely hammered in the media and on here for individual results and even for playing style when they were winning, and Kenny seems to have a get out of jail free card.

Neish
09/09/2021, 7:57 PM
I will make him run out this qualification. Will make an arrangement and would get another guy with a proven CV.

Like O'Neil or Trapattoni (neither of who qualified on first go)?

John83
09/09/2021, 8:11 PM
Like O'Neil or Trapattoni (neither of who qualified on first go)?
How many goes did it take them to win a competitive game?

passinginterest
09/09/2021, 8:12 PM
I think 4 points from Azerbaijan and Luxembourg is the minimum. No matter how much hope or belief I have for the plan there’s a point where the lack of wins is doing too much damage.

TonyD
09/09/2021, 8:15 PM
I find this a bit incredible. I remember far more successful Ireland managers - granted, with better squads - being absolutely hammered in the media and on here for individual results and even for playing style when they were winning, and Kenny seems to have a get out of jail free card.

And there is the key to why he’s been given more latitude I would guess. I’d like to see how those promising younger players do with him. I remember watching his U21 side against a Sweden at home and it’s one of the best displays of any Irish team I can remember. Plus the players do genuinely seem to be behind him, so I’d give him more time, probably even the next Euro campaign. Mind you he probably has to win both games against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan.

TonyD
09/09/2021, 8:16 PM
How many goes did it take them to win a competitive game?

Took Michael O’Neill a while with Norn Iron and he ended up doing alright.

John83
09/09/2021, 8:23 PM
Took Michael O’Neill a while with Norn Iron and he ended up doing alright.
It did. He took six. Kenny has taken 12 and counting.

Bielsa´s irish
10/09/2021, 11:01 AM
what made me angry about this fellow is how he reacted in hapiness after that freak own goal, that was very depressing- for that only reason i want him out after the last remaining games qatar lux az and port

We can thank him for bringing the youth and this situation can be very good to continue his phillosophy for the under 23 /21 /19/17 etc. We need a motivator and someone who can be ---------streetwise.....

jbyrne
10/09/2021, 11:38 AM
what made me angry about this fellow is how he reacted in hapiness after that freak own goal, that was very depressing- for that only reason i want him out after the last remaining games qatar lux az and port

wouldnt be inclined to hold that against him. you can just imagine the pressure he was feeling on the sideline at the time.
sure the stadium PA credited the goal to duffy so for all we know SK wasnt even aware it was an OG

NeverFeltBetter
10/09/2021, 1:56 PM
I said he should go in the Azerbaijan thread, and I hold to that. I was all for the experiment, but not with these results. Whoever replaces him will already be trying to clamber out of a hole, and I have no expectations of us suddenly finding consistency in performance, cutting edge in the final third or positive results under him.

sadloserkid
10/09/2021, 5:43 PM
I'd be loosely in the "He should go" camp but I won't be too upset if he sees out the campaign.

I do see people asking now if he should be kept on if we beat Azerbaijan and Luxembourg as it would signal improved fortunes. I think that just says volumes about how low he's dragged our expectations unfortunately.

Bielsa´s irish
10/09/2021, 6:36 PM
One thing that I understand from you irish is that the national team football mánager is the most important job in Ireland. I cant imagine that in other countries. Maybe us, the italians but un Ireland is always a public figure and always scrutinity Giles jack mick giovani Martín mick2 now this fellow

mark12345
10/09/2021, 10:22 PM
D, L, D, D, L, L, L, D, L, L, D, W, D, L, D, D.

7 losses, 8 draws, 1 victory.

He should go.

You don't see any signs he is improving the team because there aren't any. We are miles away from being a settled team with a settled style - ie weeding out our weaknesses until we are capable of defeating lesser teams while posing problems for the Portugals and Serbias of the world. We are essentially a new team with a novice manager setting out on a journey. Time is what is needed. Essentially if we're not going to qualify for Qatar and be an outside bet for the next Euros, then the consolation prize is that Kenny needs to have us well on the road to playing a style of football that recent visitors to Dublin (Serbia, Denmark, Switzerland) all employ.

OwlsFan
10/09/2021, 10:30 PM
Well it's the style you've been crying out for for 13 years Mark. Now you have it. Let's see where it goes. I have always had a more pragmatic approach. I support any style which gets us results.

tetsujin1979
13/09/2021, 5:05 PM
After a few days of voting, you can see that the results are broadly along the same lines as the previous poll, with the same number of combined votes for "He should be given the entire campaign before making a decision" and "Keep him beyond the current campaign" as the "He should be given the entire campaign before making a decision" option in the previous poll

Diggs246
13/09/2021, 8:29 PM
After a few days of voting, you can see that the results are broadly along the same lines as the previous poll, with the same number of combined votes for "He should be given the entire campaign before making a decision" and "Keep him beyond the current campaign" as the "He should be given the entire campaign before making a decision" option in the previous poll

So in your analysis do a minority or majority want him as rep of Ireland manager for euro 2024?. ( I know its hard as people weren't committing to in or out)

Eirambler
13/09/2021, 9:18 PM
Well, of the 14 voters who are off the fence so to speak, 10 want him gone - either now or at the end of the campaign. Four want him kept on for the Euro 2024 qualifiers - presumably regardless of how the rest of this campaign goes.

So, excluding the don't knows, it seems to be 70% change the manager, 30% keep Kenny for the next campaign. However that probably should be read in the context of more than half of all voters wanting to wait a few more games before deciding.