PDA

View Full Version : New striker needed?

Risteard
05/07/2005, 5:56 PM
Stephen Grant has said thanks but no thanks apparently.
I thought he'd jump at the opportunity but it probably would have taken him months to gain match fitness.
I presume we're all agreed that we need another forward.
We're doing fine with Flynnie and Fenn but we need more than just Behan as cover surely?
Names being bandied about by City fans are McCourt or Zayed.
Would that be too much to ask?
Or do ye reckon Rico sees Roy as all the cover we need?

patsh
06/07/2005, 11:46 AM
Youse are gonna need at least two new strikers. You can't even score against useless Longford . Over TWO HUNDRED minutes of football - and the total football of Cork yields ....................... not ONE goal.
Hoorah, give your lads a medal......

It's great to see the incredible levels of ambition of the Longford lads.......:D

pete
06/07/2005, 12:12 PM
Youse are gonna need at least two new strikers. You can't even score against useless Longford . Over TWO HUNDRED minutes of football - and the total football of Cork yields ....................... not ONE goal.

I wouldn't be worried by those facts as by all accounts City played well in both games but just couldn't get the first goal they needed. First goal would probably have changed a lot.

I think Behan coming back is good news.

We all assume it but maybe O'Donovan wouldn't cut it yet in attack?

I feel we too little cover in wide midfield positions.

razor
06/07/2005, 12:20 PM
Youse are gonna need at least two new strikers. You can't even score against useless Longford . Over TWO HUNDRED minutes of football - and the total football of Cork yields ....................... not ONE goal.Is somebody not going to talk to this goon about spamming ?

SSS
06/07/2005, 12:52 PM
Roy was the weakest link last night, he gave the ball away an awful lot. Pace and enthusiasm can only take you so far - one for the (reasonbly near) future but he's not there yet.

For all the great play last night, and it was great in parts, City didn't actually trouble the keeper to often. :(

patsh
06/07/2005, 3:09 PM
Used quite a bit in de midlands ..................... you should come up here more often.
I spent a month there, one day...

Aaron GUFC
06/07/2005, 3:15 PM
I'm sure Alan "the 12th man" Kelly will suit you down to the ground = )

patsh
06/07/2005, 3:21 PM
ooouuuuuu, the harsh word from the bitter Galway fan.....
let it go, man, let it go......:D

Copa Mundial
06/07/2005, 11:32 PM
He was a decent centre/left back in his day...sweet left foot...but he was never a striker ;)

pete
06/07/2005, 11:42 PM
I think we should wait for Uefa Cup & see if any Lithuanians impress.

:p

Fair_play_boy
07/07/2005, 7:35 AM
I would settle for a player who can take a good free kick outside the box. Over the two Longford snores, by my estimate we were awarded twelve free kicks in that area. It seemed that Longford were happy to take down City players as they were confident we wouldn't score from there. :(

razor
07/07/2005, 7:42 AM
He was a decent centre/left back in his day...sweet left foot...but he was never a striker ;)Good man Alan , you tell 'em

patsh
07/07/2005, 8:24 AM
I would settle for a player who can take a good free kick outside the box. Over the two Longford snores, by my estimate we were awarded twelve free kicks in that area. It seemed that Longford were happy to take down City players as they were confident we wouldn't score from there. :(
Spot on, most teams realise this now. A free kick for City is basically a kickout for the opposition..:(
If we had a Myler, we would be scoring 8 to 10 goals a season from these kicks.
Rico has to do something about this situation urgently, and decide on who takes the kicks, and put a lot of practice and training into it.

razor
07/07/2005, 8:35 AM
Spot on, most teams realise this now. A free kick for City is basically a kickout for the opposition..:(
If we had a Myler, we would be scoring 8 to 10 goals a season from these kicks.
Rico has to do something about this situation urgently, and decide on who takes the kicks, and put a lot of practice and training into it.
To be fair to Behan and even Fenn they have gotten them on target, George just hits them over the bar.

Aaron GUFC
08/07/2005, 9:30 AM
I think you will really miss Kevin Doyle as he was excellent for you

thecorner
08/07/2005, 9:44 AM
I think you will really miss Kevin Doyle as he was excellent for you

kevin who????

kevincronin2000
15/07/2005, 11:31 AM
devin koyle scored twice for reading in a pre-season friendly as they won 7-0 at least i think that was his name anyway ;)

GavinZac
15/07/2005, 11:36 AM
roy's in the same position as kevin doyle, he's starting on the wing & scoring goals, and eventually he'll get his chance up front and...

Peadar
15/07/2005, 11:39 AM
devin koyle scored twice for reading in a pre-season friendly as they won 7-0

The bad news for SuperKev is that Reading have signed Bristol City striker Leroy Lita for a club record fee of £1 million.
He's a great prospect.

Aaron GUFC
15/07/2005, 3:56 PM
I saw the goals on the news. They were two excellent finishes. By the way, "The Corner", I bet youwish ye still had Kev cos hes better than O'Flynn even if O'Flynn is doin quite well. I think you would be better off with Kevin Doyle. Lets hope he does a Daryll Murphy and gets into the Premiership next year with Reading! :D BTW Leroy Lita was scoring for fun last season hes gonna give Kev some though competiton

pete
16/07/2005, 11:22 AM
I know its early days but O'Donovan is turning into a real star. I think he is settling in well as winger as can track back & defend as well as attack.

I'd make him my MOTM for Uefa Cup game.

Troy.McClure
16/07/2005, 2:23 PM
He reminds me a lot of Doyle when he came. Striker, young, never heard of, played on the wing, looks good for the future. The only difference is that I think that at this stage, O'Donavin looks a better player (I thought Doyle was ok at the start but it wasnt until Europe that Doyle started to shine for me).

GavinZac
16/07/2005, 7:09 PM
He reminds me a lot of Doyle when he came. Striker, young, never heard of, played on the wing, looks good for the future. The only difference is that I think that at this stage, O'Donavin looks a better player (I thought Doyle was ok at the start but it wasnt until Europe that Doyle started to shine for me).

mark my words, if we hang on to roy, he'll be top scorer in the league at some point in his carreer.

as he likes to remind everyone, 81 goals in a season :eek: :D

kevincronin2000
22/07/2005, 11:12 AM
kd scored one again last night for reading in there first game of there pre season tour to sweeden reading won 6-0 apparently Long is in the travelling squad too.

ps I know some people are going to say so what, but i just think some people would be interested in seeing how he fairs out accross the water.

StephenPiggott
22/07/2005, 4:35 PM
i heard willie bruton has signed for city? anyone else hear this?

ccfcman
23/07/2005, 1:21 PM
terry9 confirms he hasd signed elsewhere, needless to sa he cant prove this :/

Dyl10
23/07/2005, 5:42 PM
Is somebody not going to talk to this goon about spamming ?

Boo hoo :( . Get a grip will ya

kevincronin2000
24/07/2005, 9:46 AM
Doyle scored a hat trick last night including a peno as the royals won 8-0 makes you wonder who will score more goals this season for reading there €1m or there €100k player.

Fair_play_boy
24/07/2005, 9:41 PM
i heard willie bruton has signed for city? anyone else hear this?On the Big Red Bench tonight Noel Spillane said that Rico has agreed terms with him, and that they will put pen to paper on Monday or Tuesday.

Poor Student
24/07/2005, 10:21 PM
Doyle scored a hat trick last night including a peno as the royals won 8-0 makes you wonder who will score more goals this season for reading there €1m or there €100k player.

The comparative performances of the two players will possibly show us how badly Cork were ripped off and the eL in general on average.

terry9
24/07/2005, 10:35 PM
terry9 confirms he hasd signed elsewhere, needless to sa he cant prove this :/

he has signed ye'll see him thursday.

patsh
25/07/2005, 7:08 AM
On the Big Red Bench tonight Noel Spillane said that Rico has agreed terms with him, and that they will put pen to paper on Monday or Tuesday.
Hmmm.
I think what he said was that Bruton was desperate to come to City, and that Rico will talk to him again today or tomorrow.
I get the inpression that Bruton is dying to join City, that Rico isn't overly pushed about signing him, but probably will as he might be a handy option and there are no other players available.
If Grant is definitely going to join us in a few weeks, I wouldn't bother with Bruton.

pete
25/07/2005, 9:55 AM
If Grant is definitely going to join us in a few weeks, I wouldn't bother with Bruton.

I think Grant would have been great signing but i think no chance him joining until close season.

patsh
25/07/2005, 10:04 AM
I think Grant would have been great signing but i think no chance him joining until close season.
Well Spillage said on Ruairi's Big Red Bench last night that the deal is done and he would be here in another 3 or 4 weeks.....

But out of the mouth of Spillage and all that....;)

Hecko
25/07/2005, 10:09 AM
Doyler got a hattrick on Saturday, Reading won 8-0...

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~689780,00.html

patsh
25/07/2005, 10:17 AM
Doyler got a hattrick on Saturday, Reading won 8-0...

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~689780,00.html
Who?

:p