PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye

Roo69
05/07/2005, 1:59 PM
Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool he wants to leave Anfield after turning down a new £100,000-a-week contract. The 25-year-old captain made his move after Liverpool rejected a £32m bid from Premiership champions Chelsea.

A Liverpool club statement read: "The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield.

"Sadly, he has told us that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave," the statement added.

From BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm)

drummerboy
05/07/2005, 2:29 PM
Another over-rated player.

elroy
05/07/2005, 2:46 PM
Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool he wants to leave Anfield after turning down a new £100,000-a-week contract. The 25-year-old captain made his move after Liverpool rejected a £32m bid from Premiership champions Chelsea.

A Liverpool club statement read: "The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield.

"Sadly, he has told us that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave," the statement added.

From BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm)

In fairness that is greed at its worst.
I dont think football can sustain these sort of wages for much longer

John83
05/07/2005, 3:04 PM
Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool he wants to leave Anfield after turning down a new £100,000-a-week contract.
Sweet mother of Dog! Son of a Bitch! Far better players than Gerrard are on half that.

swinfordfc
05/07/2005, 3:10 PM
Lads

He the most over rated player of all time when he came up against keane, viera and makele (of chelsea spelling cat :D ) he was second by a while margin, rafa is delighted - he used the money to great effect

Risteard
05/07/2005, 3:38 PM
Greedier than Figo there like.
Bad move for him no matter where he goes imo.
Liverpool are likely to get great money out of him though.
He's going to be the one to lose out.

Troy.McClure
05/07/2005, 3:47 PM
www.eecho.ie (http://http://www.eecho.ie/news/bstory.asp?j=171313000&p=y7y3y38y5&n=171313886)

Some Liverpool supporters association guy said they shouldnt sell him to Chelsea unless they got (wait for it...) £40 mil, + Gallas + DUFF! Is he having a laugh?!? :eek: :rolleyes: Id love it if he went to Man U, just to pi$$ off Pool :D

If Chelsea come in I’d ask them for £40m plus William Gallas and Damien Duff. That’s what I’d look for.

anto1208
05/07/2005, 4:23 PM
i really do think he will go to utd i said this last year ,

he really is in it for the money , he says he wants to win stuff at liverpool he has won every thing bar the prem .

talks are if he goes to chelsea , joe cole will be alloud out on loan ( not part of the deal )

4tothefloor
05/07/2005, 6:13 PM
As a fan i'd firstly like to thank Gerrard for the memories and his performances in a Liverpool shirt. There were many and he was a legend. But secondly I'd have to say he is now a lying judas b*****d, and is no better than any other mercenary. I don't have a problem with him wanting to play elsewhere and taking a different direction in his career, but the way he has conducted himself is appalling. He has always maintained that all he ever wanted was to win major trophies with Liverpool, and if he could achieve success at Anfield he would be content. This is the s**t that he fed to the media all last season. So the European Cup isn't good enough then? Playing for one of the best coaches in the world isn't either. I hope he never wins another medal in his career, and I really mean that. He has betrayed the fans, and everything that he said following the European Cup win is now just hollow bulls**t. He has to go now, and as far away as possible. If he goes to Chelsea he will be hated and villified on merseyside.

I don't think he'll go to a premiership club as a move to another premiership club would be a waste of time. Chelsea are nowhere near as big as Liverpool, ditto for Arsenal who can't afford him, while Liverpool will not sell to Utd. He has more sense than to sign for Utd which would be a dangerous move and he'd be a fool to look for it. The scum couldn't afford a deal that would cost about £65m - £70m in total when you take into account transfer fee, signing-on fee and wages.

Finally, I cannot recall one player who has ever left Liverpool and been more successful. So good riddance......

Dan K
05/07/2005, 6:37 PM
Finally, I cannot recall one player who has ever left Liverpool and been more successful. So good riddance......

Steve McManaman didn't do too badly at Real Madrid. ;)

4tothefloor
05/07/2005, 7:21 PM
Thats a fairly poor example, Steve Mcmanaman :rolleyes: Ok, he had one good season where he won the European cup, but after that spent the rest of his career there on the bench. If you remember, they wanted to get rid of him for ages, but he wouldn't leave. Look at him now, a disgrace. If McManaman is your yardstick, Gerrard is f****d! :D

jorge
05/07/2005, 7:55 PM
Not as bad as Liverpool fans make it out to be,they will easly get e50 mill,that would be enough to buy a better and more complete player in Ballack.Wheather he would go to Liverpool or not is another days work.

CollegeTillIDie
05/07/2005, 8:14 PM
Yet another overpaid professional English speaking football player who would be incapable of finding the word "loyalty" in the dictionary never mind know what it means. :rolleyes:

jorge
05/07/2005, 8:35 PM
If your talking about Ballack I disagree,a)he is as loyal as any proffessional,btw what is loyalty now days.b)He does the job QUITE effectively.Anyway i would rather he stay at Bayern.

jimbob117
05/07/2005, 11:25 PM
Would have liked him to stay but if he wants to go, then so be it, but let him only go abroad . Would love to see ballack or essien in to replace him though, and they would probably still have the money to buy a few more players.

tetsujin1979
06/07/2005, 10:05 AM

Err, Keegan??

swinfordfc
06/07/2005, 10:09 AM
This some turn around!!!!! now he staying what the f**k is going on in his head?

4tothefloor
06/07/2005, 7:00 PM
Err, Keegan??
So when Keegan left he went on to be more successful than Liverpool at the time? Good man tetsujin :rolleyes:

Éanna
06/07/2005, 7:04 PM
Gerrard is totally over-rated. If Liverpool can get anything over 20million for him, they should grab it. Alonso is twice the player gerrard is and he cost them about 10 million. so by selling him for 30million they'd get the money to buy at least 2 players better than him and also manage to have a squad that isn't based around one selfish petulant child

redgav
06/07/2005, 11:18 PM
Err, Keegan??

Mcmanamans european cups surely !!!

mypost
07/07/2005, 4:59 AM
Gerrard is totally over-rated. If Liverpool can get anything over 20million for him, they should grab it. Alonso is twice the player gerrard is and he cost them about 10 million. so by selling him for 30million they'd get the money to buy at least 2 players better than him and also manage to have a squad that isn't based around one selfish petulant child

The club were right to knock 47 million Euro on the head for Gerrard. He inspires the side on the pitch, scores important goals at critical times, is an International player, and is also captain of the European Champions. The club should have looked for at least 60 million Euro before considering selling him. He's that important to a team. Thankfully, his transfer value is not an issue anymore. :)

tetsujin1979
07/07/2005, 10:13 AM
So when Keegan left he went on to be more successful than Liverpool at the time? Good man tetsujin :rolleyes:

Won the European Cup and European Player of the Year at Hamburg. Not as successful as Liverpool, but not too bad!!

Tony Montana
07/07/2005, 8:15 PM
Won the European Cup and European Player of the Year at Hamburg. Not as successful as Liverpool, but not too bad!!

Eh,when would this have been then?Will someone else tell him or should I?......

Poor Student
07/07/2005, 9:25 PM

1983. He was playing for Newcastle then. Or maybe Southampton? He did play against Nottingham Forest in the 1980 European Cup Final though when they lost the final.

4tothefloor
08/07/2005, 12:24 AM
So McMananman is the best ye can come up with - Leave Liverpool at your Peril! At least Gerrard has sense if nothing else ;)

tetsujin1979
08/07/2005, 9:47 AM

My mistake, he won the cup while still at Liverpool, still he played in the European Cup Final against Forest, and won European Player of the Year twice. Not a bad return. More here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Keegan

4tothefloor
08/07/2005, 11:25 PM
My mistake, he won the cup while still at Liverpool, still he played in the European Cup Final against Forest, and won European Player of the Year twice. Not a bad return. More here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Keegan
Yes, but not more successful than if he stayed at Liverpool, which was my point. You lose. :D

tetsujin1979
12/07/2005, 9:41 AM
Yes, but not more successful than if he stayed at Liverpool, which was my point. You lose. :D

Well done. :rolleyes: