PDA

View Full Version : Cork City v Longford Town

Pages : [1] 2

kevincronin2000
05/07/2005, 9:07 AM
I know this competition is hardly our priority, but in saying that i think it would be good for morale if we kept the winning mentality going. Plus a win tonight and we are only two games away from winning a national trophy.

I wonder what tactics Longford will employ tonight?

Macy
05/07/2005, 9:11 AM
I wonder what tactics Longford will employ tonight?
Hopefully the same and win on peno's.

Peadar
05/07/2005, 9:21 AM
...and win on peno's.

Not if biscuits is in goal! :D

kevincronin2000
05/07/2005, 11:04 AM
well as far as i know Mick Devine dosn't do penelties.

Just looking at the team sheet from last nights league cup games and all teams had a very strong starting eleven. I supose shels have to try and win something this year :D

patsh
05/07/2005, 11:11 AM
I would gladly let Longford win by as much as they like tonight if it guaranteed us 3 points on Friday.

Of course, Longford would have to actually attempt to score a goal and leave their own half to get the win......:p

Risteard
05/07/2005, 11:58 AM
I would gladly let Longford win by as much as they like tonight if it guaranteed us 3 points on Friday.
Totally agree.
Would love to see us win the League Cup but i can't see us winning tonight and then Friday.
Its a big ask.
I know which i'd prefer.

EnDai
05/07/2005, 12:09 PM
I also know which I'd prefer!! :D

Peadar
05/07/2005, 2:23 PM
What do people reckon the team will be tonight?
I'd expect at least 3 reserves to start.

Lordan
Softic
McCarthy
and perhaps Guthrie?

town73
05/07/2005, 2:39 PM
I think we'll have Mick Dempsey in goal (assuming he's fit). Mathews usually plays him in the League Cup. Had an absolute blinder against Boh's in the final last year in Flancare. But not so sure of him. Gives me the jitters.

Hard to know what kind of team he'll put out. Usually uses League Cup to give squad players a go.

A face
05/07/2005, 3:07 PM
I dunno .... the lads are on top form lately and if they get in behnid da'towns defence and nick one then it'll be ours for the taking .... if Longford have to chase a goal, we'll be in for a few more.

pete
05/07/2005, 3:48 PM
I think city will have strong enough team as still few first teamers oput injured.

I think will play same as UCD. Maybe Behan for Fenn? Lordan for Hoggie?

ccfcgirl
05/07/2005, 9:36 PM
City lost 1-0 in extra time .Jof missed a penalty in the 90 min .some lovily football was played by city .City deserved to win .

Martinho II
05/07/2005, 9:43 PM
i could not make the game. was there much of a crowd from longford? why was alan matthews sent off?

ccfcgirl
05/07/2005, 9:46 PM
about 2500 there .I dont know why Alan Matthews was sent off .Longfords goalkeeper was stretered of injured.Longfords sub goalkepper saved the penalty.

EnDai
05/07/2005, 9:52 PM
So, do you still think this'll give you the 3 points on Friday? Or will the extra time take its toll?! :)

higgins
05/07/2005, 10:08 PM
Of course, Longford would have to actually attempt to score a goal and leave their own half to get the win......

So I take it it was more boring boring Cork at the cross?? You didnt attack tonight and all your fans got to watch another no score from you lot!!

You will have to step it up if you want to win a trophy anytime soon. Another one bites the dust :p

A face
05/07/2005, 11:20 PM
Another one bites the dust

:D

City played very well in parts, i thought we looked best in first as Longford had a bit more possession and when City got it back we did very well with it. Roy was a bit off to be fair and Dan had a mare at times but other than that i dont think anyone had any clángers .... Had a few chance that should have been converted in the second and Joe Gamble has to take shots when in the position, i'd say hes well able to bury them, just needs to take the chance.

Neale Fenn is a great player and good to see him playing all the time now. The ref got a bit happy with cards and some strange decisions at times, Billy, while i wouldn't be happy with Foley and how he dealt with it, Billy did push past him and that is out of order but some of his decisions were really strange, and i'd swear he doesn't like Derek cos everything that could go against him Foley was trying to make sure he got, but before Derek came on Foley was unreal he was so poor.

Ambaiste!
05/07/2005, 11:40 PM
i'd swear he doesn't like Derek cos everything that could go against him Foley was trying to make sure he got, but before Derek came on Foley was unreal he was so poor.

When Derek was warming up along that touchline he made some comment to Foley after the incident with Billy and the little man turned around and started remonstrating with him. Very unprofessional, can't believe he's allowed officiate at the top level in Irish football, time and again he was caught out not keeping up with play and gave some very strange/late decisions. Ref was poor too, booked Danny for a perfectly good tackle and showed Gamble a yellow for nothing, meanwhile an obvious backpass and an elbow on Kearney by Ferguson went completely unnoticed.

Still no excuse really, City should have thumped them, they're a poor side with very little ability, and it's always frustrating when the team that tries to play football comes off worst. If City want to win the league they're going to have to break teams down, cos most of them will come to the cross and put men behind the ball. It worked for UCD, it worked for Bray, and it worked for Longford tonight.

What did ye think of Behan for Fenn? Everything that we created in the first half went through Fenn, while Flynny made very little impact on the game.

EnDai
06/07/2005, 6:38 AM
Little impact? He missed a penalty in stoppage time! How much more impact can you make?! :D

patsh
06/07/2005, 6:46 AM
Another gutless, negative, ambitionless performance from the non-football Longford team.

I have never seen a team playing for a draw in a knock-out, must finish game, but hey, Matthews and his Longford side know best....:rolleyes:

Fair play to Longford though, they must have got into our half, oh, twice in the second half.....

Ah well, good luck in the league cup, it's where Matthews wants to be, the height of his ambition, while he continues to make up the numbers in the league.

patsh
06/07/2005, 7:02 AM
i could not make the game. was there much of a crowd from longford? why was alan matthews sent off?
Maybe 7 or 8 from Longford?
Your whinging, "11 man defence is the only way to go", idealess, ambitionless, only here to make up the numbers in the league, "the league Cup is my main goal again this season", cnut of a manager threw water and hurled abuse at suporters in ther main stand.

I realise everybody stands by and defends their own teeam, and supports them through thick and thin, but the side and "tactics" that Matthews employs is utter sh*te. It is painful having to endure games of 11 men defence.
In the first half, Longford actually trei to attack some time, and they might even have scored. In the second half, I think they got into our half of the pitch twice? Even then, Mickey had to make a good save. So some of your team can actually make chances and attempt to score. Would somebody ever tell your manager that?:rolleyes:

Macy
06/07/2005, 7:04 AM
I have never seen a team playing for a draw in a knock-out, must finish game, but hey, Matthews and his Longford side know best....:rolleyes:
erm, who actually won? :rolleyes: :D

patsh
06/07/2005, 7:06 AM
erm, who actually won? :rolleyes: :D
Longford did Macy, and you lot will all be thrilled and I'm a whinger.
But the team I support plays football, what the f*ck do Longford play?

Macy
06/07/2005, 7:17 AM
Longford did Macy, and you lot will all be thrilled and I'm a whinger.
But the team I support plays football, what the f*ck do Longford play?
Winners football - hence the trophies...

patsh
06/07/2005, 7:49 AM
Winners football - hence the trophies...
:rolleyes:
What Longford play is most definitely not football.
But sure you won a few cups, so you lot are happy.
When you are playing in front of less than a 100 people, you will still be happy....

pineapple stu
06/07/2005, 8:19 AM
about 2500 there.
1500 mentioned on the other forum... :confused:

patsh
06/07/2005, 8:25 AM
1500 mentioned on the other forum... :confused:
2,000 is a fairly accurate figure.

razor
06/07/2005, 8:33 AM
Another very frustrating evening, I was fuming leaving the ground then the Mrs txt'd me wondering where I was, after I telling here there was ET. I could have gone home and kicked the cat or the wall but what would that have achieved?
Longford gave us some hope in the first few minutes that they might try and play but that soon evaporated into the back 10 they employed the last day.
We knew what they would do and the onus was on us to break them down.
Even though we bossed the game their keeper(s) were never overly taxed. Our crossing and set pieces were atrocious again.
Special mention to last nights officials, they were brutal and that would go for both teams, a ref that is obviously not able for this level of football and one who thinks football is a non contact sport. Doling out yellow cards like lollipops and then bottling the 2nd yellow numerous times.
An injury to the Longford keeper that must have lasted 7 or 8 minutes and then insulting us by playing 3 minutes added time.
Hugo Whoriskey, you shamed the game last night and Eddie Foley, well what can I say about small Eddie, nothing.
John O'Flynn doesn't have the bottle for big game situations, cup semi vs Derry, last minute vs Shels prime examples of this. 1500 about right for the crowd, poor enough. Below par performances all round.
Smash and Grab really, it was soft goal from a corner, knew we'd never score then cos it really was one of those nights, chalk it down to experience, lads and move on.

patsh
06/07/2005, 8:52 AM
Fair points razor, except that we did break them down many times, it was simply not going into the net.
I'm fairly sure the crowd was 2,000ish, btw.

We really must do something about our deadball situations. It's gone beyond a joke by now. Getting a free kick in whats supposed to be a dangerous position for the guilty team is as good as a clearance for them now. It was obvious from the way that Flynnie stood to take the penalty that he doesn't seem to have complete confidence when the pressure is on. He did score the penalty against Galway, but he doesn't seem 100% convinced he will score. Behan would have buried the thing, simply because he believes he will.
Rico has to get hold of George and tell him to stay away from free kicks. George is an outstanding player, but is USELESS in those situations and needs to be told quickly that the ball does not belong to him and he doesn't have to be involved in everything.

observer
06/07/2005, 8:58 AM
"Oh how often our thoughts, in their fancy take flight
To the dream of a trophy some day.
But then, once again our ambitions are smashed,
As our dreams like our feet turn to clay.
And then when defeat, like the fast sinking sun
Spreads its rays of disquiet o'er the Sea-e.
Then Patsh with his Razor, their gripes will express
On the Banks, of their own lovely Lee,
Where Pat Dolan was buried, because of complaints
From the Banks (€), on their own lovely Lee."

Just something to cheer ye up lads.
We are quiet content with a boring undeserved 1-0 VICTORY.
:D :D :D

patsh
06/07/2005, 9:00 AM
:D :D :D
Well done, you are quite content with being in contention for the league cup again. Fair play to you....:rolleyes:

pineapple stu
06/07/2005, 9:00 AM
I'm fairly sure the crowd was 2,000ish, btw.
Bear in mind all COrk fans' estimates on the attendances thread have been way over the top when compared to the official figures, even though they swear blindly by them at the time! ;)

razor
06/07/2005, 9:03 AM
:D :D :DOf course and why wouldn't ye be ? Ye came with a plan and executed it well against a far superior team. I heard Matthews had the 1988 FA Cup Final video out over the weekend. Fair Play to ye.

razor
06/07/2005, 9:04 AM
Bear in mind all COrk fans' estimates on the attendances thread have been way over the top when compared to the official figures, even though they swear blindly by them at the time! ;)Well when you can't count them on the fingers of both hands it gets that bit harder. ;)

patsh
06/07/2005, 9:04 AM
Bear in mind all COrk fans' estimates on the attendances thread have been way over the top when compared to the official figures, even though they swear blindly by them at the time! ;)
Well don't believe me so, it's immaterial to me.
I'm going on my own experience of what the crowd is like, there were quite a few season ticket holders there that won't count as regards the takings, but I'm fairly sure my estimate is about right.

Even allowing only for 1500, I think it's not a bad crowd for last night.

Peadar
06/07/2005, 9:05 AM
way over the top when compared to the official figures

It depends on how "official" the figures actually are and what patrons they take into account.

Wiseguy
06/07/2005, 9:15 AM
At least Razor talks some sence.We set up our stall and it was up to Cork to break it down.It was a smash and grab raid from Longford and it worked.I'll be the first to admit that at times we are not a pretty site to watch but i always go home much happier with a win under the belt than losing after a good performance.It's now becoming clear that Corks inability to beat teams who actually have a game plan against them has shown up yet again.It's becoming quite obvious that Rico has one game plan and when that dosen't work he's fcuked.Alan Matthews clearly learned from what cork done to UCD and adopted a game plan to firstly not concede a goal and secondly try and nick something on the break.It worked so well done Alan.At the end of the day results count in football and another trophyless season lies in store for Cork unless they wake up to the fact that the lesser teams than them will play these tactics to avoid being beat.As a team and supporters i have always liked Cork but some of you are the biggest whingers i have ever come across.If it's not your fixtures it Oli Byrne or Pat Fenelon or some ref or some other teams tactics.

Ronnie
06/07/2005, 9:30 AM
Jaysus Lads, our first team and our second team held you scoreless. Our third choice keeper, making his first first team appearance saves a peno and keeps a clean sheet for 30 minutes! Just as well Mathews doesen't take this competition too seriously or else he'd have played the first team .....! Come on the Town, double double!

coislaoi
06/07/2005, 9:35 AM
At least Razor talks some sence.We set up our stall and it was up to Cork to break it down.It was a smash and grab raid from Longford and it worked.I'll be the first to admit that at times we are not a pretty site to watch but i always go home much happier with a win under the belt than losing after a good performance.It's now becoming clear that Corks inability to beat teams who actually have a game plan against them has shown up yet again.It's becoming quite obvious that Rico has one game plan and when that dosen't work he's fcuked.Alan Matthews clearly learned from what cork done to UCD and adopted a game plan to firstly not concede a goal and secondly try and nick something on the break.It worked so well done Alan.At the end of the day results count in football and another trophyless season lies in store for Cork unless they wake up to the fact that the lesser teams than them will play these tactics to avoid being beat.As a team and supporters i have always liked Cork but some of you are the biggest whingers i have ever come across.If it's not your fixtures it Oli Byrne or Pat Fenelon or some ref or some other teams tactics.

Unfortunately it's hard to disagree with a lot of that. A shocking lack of amibition on Longford's part however.....

patsh
06/07/2005, 9:36 AM
Just as well Mathews doesen't take this competition too seriously!
:D :D
The League Cup IS his main ambition....

pete
06/07/2005, 9:48 AM
At least Razor talks some sence.We set up our stall and it was up to Cork to break it down.It was a smash and grab raid from Longford and it worked.

Thats why you won't challenge in the league but are Cup masters. You don't win leagues with draws but not losing is best tactic in cups.

At this rate Matthews will have touchline ban for rest of the season.

:eek:

sparkey
06/07/2005, 10:05 AM
Thats why you won't challenge in the league but are Cup masters. You don't win leagues with draws but not losing is best tactic in cups.
But Cork dont win leagues or Cups :D so whats your point.

observer
06/07/2005, 10:13 AM
There I am, sweating over a hot keyboard for minutes, trying to produce a poetic and lyrical composition as my contribution to Corks year as The European Cultural Capital, and at the same time bring a smile to the faces of Cork City supporters in their hour of despondence. What is my thanks for this thoughtful gesture? A further outburst of malevolent begrudgery bordering on the belligerent, reducing me to the battered, bewildered and bemused bard which I now am. :p

pete
06/07/2005, 10:16 AM
But Cork dont win leagues or Cups :D so whats your point.

Lets rephrase... You won't be top of the league with draws.

Risteard
06/07/2005, 10:44 AM
So why did Fenn come off after just 33 minutes?

patsh
06/07/2005, 11:37 AM
Sixth in the table, level with Boahs and a mere six behind $hel$. Above ucd, Pats, Bray, Waaaherfur, Harps and Rovers. Have beaten Rovers TWICE this season - two nil each time. Whopped Waaaherfur three nil away from home. Add a noteable one nil victory against Pats in Inchicore with only 9 men.

Ah, sure we're happy just to be here ;) Make up the numbers indeed !!
Thats exactly what you lot are there for, according to your own manager.
He says he can't win the league, won't even try, so you lot are there to make up the numbers. You are quite happy with your mid table mediocrity as you so proudly announce it above.
And me bitter?
Bitterness is what would happen to me if I was a Longford fan, watching ambitionless, gutless "football" week in, week out.
I'm thrilled for you lot getting your jollies from the league Cup, you can have it, and I hope you win it again.
Never let your bias get in the way of the facts though. Your team plays dour, sterile, 11 man behind the ball crap, awful to watch and it will turn any new prospective punters off coming to games, but you are quite happy with that.

We might not win anything this season, but I have been entertained by my team, they are great to watch, they play superb football and yes, I'd rather watch City anyday over boring everyone in to a stupor and then stealing a cup.
To each their own...:p

Wiseguy
06/07/2005, 11:39 AM
Alan Matthews ambition is to bring trophies to Longford.Most of us accept that we are not good enough to win the league so being holders of the other 2 trophies that are available is as good as it gets for us for the time being.It appears that the people of Cork will quite happily settle for winning nothing as long as they try to knock the ball about it and look good.Probably why they gave the bottler the job of managing them.

patsh
06/07/2005, 11:48 AM
Alan Matthews ambition is to bring trophies to Longford.Most of us accept that we are not good enough to win the league so being holders of the other 2 trophies that are available is as good as it gets for us for the time being.It appears that the people of Cork will quite happily settle for winning nothing as long as they try to knock the ball about it and look good.Probably why they gave the bottler the job of managing them.
Alan Matthews ambition is not to get beaten, and to have you all happily accept that you are there to make up the fixture list in the eL.
Fair play to him, he sees to have succeeded in his second ambition at least.....:p

patsh
06/07/2005, 11:57 AM
HAMMERED Waaaherfur THREE nil away from home. HAMMERED Rovers TWO nil away from home. Scored TWO each time in beating Rovers and Bray at home.

Ambitionless, gutless football indeed ! :rolleyes:
Hoorah, 3 cheers for plucky Longford!
they WON some games
Hip Hip, Hoorah
Hip Hip, Hoorah
Hip Hip, Hoorah

patsh
06/07/2005, 11:58 AM
So you're admitting that ye are gonna CHOKE?

I'm glad you get your jollies from watching your brilliant team play exciting football, and yes, FAIL to score a single goal in over TWO HUNDRED minutes of play (including a missed penalty against our THIRD choice keeper.)

Keep up the good work !
Hoorah again, plucky Longford.
Keep up the brave fight, little Longford!