PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Tuesday, 7th September 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

pineapple stu
26/08/2021, 12:57 PM
I presume there's similar press releases from Azerbaijan and Serbia today?

(Well - maybe less scary, but otherwise similar)

tetsujin1979
27/08/2021, 11:15 AM
I presume there's similar press releases from Azerbaijan and Serbia today?

(Well - maybe less scary, but otherwise similar)
I missed it at the time, but Serbia's squad was announced a week ago

Fortunately it was also added to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_national_football_team#Players
Defence seems to be a little inexperienced

pineapple stu
27/08/2021, 1:41 PM
Kolarov seems the only real omission going off wiki's "Recent call-ups (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_national_football_team#Recent_call-ups)" list. Maybe Ljajic too. They do seem to be a little light caps-wise in defence and in nets alright, though we'd kill for some of their options such as the Sevilla keeper.

Bielsa´s irish
05/09/2021, 11:40 AM
If we get a heavy defeat he must resign. Mark Hugues is my candidate we need a motivator

tetsujin1979
05/09/2021, 2:05 PM
Hughes peaked with Blackburn 13 years ago.

Diggs246
05/09/2021, 2:26 PM
I wouldn't rule out hughes. He can handle players and get a tune out of them, even when they are only average players

third policeman
05/09/2021, 2:45 PM
It’s come to a sorry state when I’d even contemplate Harry Redknapp. Not yet willing to countenance Big Sam. Just someone who knows how to set up a team. If this continues, we will have destroyed the confidence of the young players who have been thrust into this shameful chaos.

MylesNotMiley
05/09/2021, 3:08 PM
It’s come to a sorry state when I’d even contemplate Harry Redknapp. Not yet willing to countenance Big Sam. Just someone who knows how to set up a team. If this continues, we will have destroyed the confidence of the young players who have been thrust into this shameful chaos.

I don't think reverting back to a "British" manager is the way to go.
Do we really want to go back to watching the same tactics as the last few years of the O'Neill era or McCarthy's last term.

The idea around the Kenny experiment is the right one IMO, but maybe Kenny just isn't good enough to lead the revolution in the playing style.

I saw a list online with the odds for the next manager. Neil Lennon, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce all among the favorites. That's almost as depressing as Kenny's results.

paul_oshea
05/09/2021, 3:22 PM
Score draw. Posters come on to say we look really good and must follow this up at lux away. :)

I do think we'll get the score draw.

Fixer82
05/09/2021, 3:29 PM
If we get a heavy defeat he must resign. Mark Hugues is my candidate we need a motivator

Is he still alive?

TonyD
05/09/2021, 3:38 PM
I don't think reverting back to a "British" manager is the way to go.
Do we really want to go back to watching the same tactics as the last few years of the O'Neill era or McCarthy's last term.

The idea around the Kenny experiment is the right one IMO, but maybe Kenny just isn't good enough to lead the revolution in the playing style.

I saw a list online with the odds for the next manager. Neil Lennon, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce all among the favorites. That's almost as depressing as Kenny's results.

Amen to all that. As someone who has defended Kenny up to now, I still think he’s trying to go about things the right way. For one reason another it’s just not working. It’s frustrating, and must be for him that we do relatively well away to the top two teams in the group, then follow it up with two shockers against Luxembourg and yesterday. At least the effort was there yesterday, and if the finishing was better we could have ended up with a relatively comfortable victory. But we didn’t, so it’s not really much consolation. I feel for Stephen Kenny, but we have to find a way to win some games, otherwise I fear the end is nigh. Please though, no washed up English managers to replace him.

Stuttgart88
05/09/2021, 3:57 PM
I dunno Tony. Stephen Kelly was on SSN with Richard Dunne earlier. He was saying it's all well and good trying to play between the lines but you need results too. But yesterday and in some other games I didn't even see us try to play between the lines. There was no clever movement or interplay, it was all functional A to B along the touchline or into a channel type stuff. So is he trying to go about things the right way? I'd definitely agree that he's right to ask the players to trust themselves on the ball and there is plenty in his public interviews to agree with in terms of what he wants Irish teams to do, but a lot of the time none of this is evident on the pitch.

And yeah, no washed up English managers for me either. I like the Sinn Fein attitude coming from Kenny. I really want to see us succeed with mainly homegrown players with a mainly homegrown coaching team. It's a bit of a purist view but it's a challenge I think we should face face.

third policeman
05/09/2021, 4:39 PM
Until we have homegrown infrastructure and a competitive domestic league that produces players and managers that can succeed in international football, that’s a long way off. There have to be better options than a guy who was not won a single match and is utterly deluded about the trajectory of his great project.

pineapple stu
05/09/2021, 4:44 PM
Not sure what to expect out of this game now. I can't see any chance of a win. We ran them close on the scoreboard in Belgrade but really we were very much second best.

Probably the best we can hope for in our last four games is improved performances on the first set, but our two best performances were away to the top two teams and I don't see we have what it takes to step things up another gear. An Azerbaijan/Luxembourg-level performance would be ugly against Serbia though.

Team-wise - not sure it matters really; we're that weak. I think we should cap Kelleher because, like Bazunu, he'll likely be around for a while to come and should get competitive experience. Robinson up front because he has half an idea where the goal is, which is half an idea more than Idah/Connolly/Parrott at the moment. Agree with those who said Coleman was wasted in centre-back (3-4-3 against Azerbaijan opens up the question of why Clark/Lenihan were left at home even after we lost a centre-half to injury in Portugal)

Sometimes the darkest hour is just before the dawn, but I'm not seeing any reason for positivity out of this one.

John83
05/09/2021, 7:55 PM
Home to this lot, I think a narrow defeat is the most likely outcome. A draw would be a good result, and a win is very unlikely. Granted, I'm currently demoralised enough to consider a win unlikely versus anyone better than East Timor, but I think I'm being objective in the above.

A thumping might be a good result if it sees Kenny finally run or pushed, and I don't like that I'm thinking like that.

mark12345
05/09/2021, 7:55 PM
Until we have homegrown infrastructure and a competitive domestic league that produces players and managers that can succeed in international football, that’s a long way off. There have to be better options than a guy who was not won a single match and is utterly deluded about the trajectory of his great project.

I remember an interview with Ray Houghton round about the time he was retiring from international football. He reminisced about the great times he had with Ireland but he did offer the opinion that Ireland will never be a real force until we improve our domestic league. That was some 20 years ago and nothing has changed, and as it stands, nothing ever will.

CSAD
05/09/2021, 8:03 PM

It might help us find afew late bloomers but just like in most countries the very best will leave around 16-18 anyway.

CSAD
05/09/2021, 8:10 PM
Bar England away we haven’t lost a game by more than a goal so would expect this to be close atleast. Obviously being glum after yesterday it’s hard to see a positive result but then again I think we all said the same thing away to Portugal and we were less then 10 minutes away from beating them so who knows. I suspect Kenny had one eye on this game after the Portugal game so I suspect we might see a better performance and it wouldn’t surprise me we come out with a great performance similar to Portugal that no one expects.

As for my prediction I feel this could be the win we need as Serbia really are a box of chocolates but I feel we will be up for it and if it wasn’t for the Azerbaijan result I could see us having a big night and nicking it 2-1 but I think we will be down after yesterday and that may stop us from winning, I’ll go Ireland - 1 Serbia -1

Bielsa´s irish
05/09/2021, 8:30 PM
Hola. They were 7 defeats though. The only match we looked convincing was versus Slovakia until James McCarthy got injured by kick from behind from Hamsik. Then at parches. Against Bulgaria we were awful same as Finland. Shane Long and James McCarthy are two guys we shouldnt play without atm.

NeverFeltBetter
05/09/2021, 8:44 PM
Coleman out. Another day, another injury.

BOOMSHAKALAKA
05/09/2021, 8:53 PM

Another day, another excuse.

Bielsa´s irish
05/09/2021, 10:58 PM
since the qualies are all over, were over I think after the Serbia game and the Lux scandal, the players will play for the manager on tuesday to save his job, that is the reality of it-

He made some progress but the results are not good, we cant progress without something to cheer up, players are down, so we are gonna see if they have some football and spirit responses to save the manager's job

Bielsa´s irish
05/09/2021, 11:03 PM
my team for serbia is similar

kelleher or bazunu

obomamidele duffy egan

doherty cullen hendrick Manning

mcgrath /robinson

idah robinson / collins

seanfhear
06/09/2021, 1:28 AM
3 games is such a short period of time for Countries with small playing pools is pretty much impossible.

elatedscum
06/09/2021, 1:53 AM
Injured:

Travers

Coleman
O’Shea
Collins
Stevens

McCarthy
Knight
Byrne

O’Dowda
Long
Ogbene

-
Is this a better side than the one that will play on Tuesday? For the lads who really don’t rate Byrne, you can swap for Smallbone

backstothewall
06/09/2021, 9:54 AM
3 games is such a short period of time for Countries with small playing pools is pretty much impossible.

I disagree. It's possible if you are smart about it.

Coleman is a player who has had trouble with injuries in recent years. 3 games in a week was always likely to be too much for him. The obvious thing to do was save him for the 2 tougher opponents, and play someone else against Azerbaijan.

He shouldn't have been anywhere near that game.

Kingdom
06/09/2021, 10:15 AM
What's the revised squad?
Bazunu, Kelleher, Talbot;
Doherty, Christie, Duffy, Egan, Omabamidele, Manning, McClean, Scales;
Cullen, Molumby, McGrath, Hendrick, Hourihane, Arter;
Parrott, Idah, Robinson, Connolly, Collins, Horgan, Curtis;

In me eyes, we've simply got to persist with Idah, Connolly and Parrott, while Robinson absolutely deserves his place in the side. To do that, we've to drop the back 3 and go flat. Duffy is the man for Mitrovic. Group being over or not, there will be plenty of chances for Kelleher again in the future. Right now Bazunu has the jersey, and deserves to keep it. If Doherty is fit then he has to start. I can't bear the idea of McClean starting at lb, so Manning should start. McGrath deserves to build on his solid showing in faro.

---------- Bazunu --
Doherty Duffy Egan Manning
------- Cullen - McGrath
----------- Parrott ---
-- Robinson Idah Connolly --

I wouldn't be surprised to Hendrick come back in, he seems to have settled on a back 3 & wingbacks, Doherty is wrecked, and McClean will probably keep his spot.
What I'd expect to see - truth be told I've no bloody clue what to expect to see:

----------------------- Bazunu --
----- Omabamidele -- Duffy ---- Egan --
- Christie ------------ Cullen ----------- McClean -
---------------------- Hendrick --------------------
---- Idah ------------ Collins --------- Robinson --

Kingdom
06/09/2021, 10:19 AM
I disagree. It's possible if you are smart about it.

Coleman is a player who has had trouble with injuries in recent years. 3 games in a week was always likely to be too much for him. The obvious thing to do was save him for the 2 tougher opponents, and play someone else against Azerbaijan.

He shouldn't have been anywhere near that game.

I agree with you. It absolutely should be possible.
And you've a very fair point about Coleman.

Would you humour me and mention what team you'd have picked for Azerbaijan?

backstothewall
06/09/2021, 10:52 AM
A 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond

GK: Kelleher
RWB: Christie
CB: Duffy
CB: Egan
LWB: Manning
DM Cullen
CM: McGrath
CM: Hourihane
AM: Robinson
CF: Idah
CF: Parrott

Wingback is a really tough job. Both Doherty and Coleman should have been rested for Tuesday. I don't see much difference in our midfield options, but set pieces were always likely to be important so McGrath and Hourihane.

My plan would be to have the wing backs push up, and try to get the front 5 in front of the ball as often as possible.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes now of course.

Kingdom
06/09/2021, 11:08 AM
A 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond

GK: Kelleher
LWB: Manning
DM Cullen
CM: Hourihane
AM: Robinson
CF: Idah
CF: Parrott

Wingback is a really tough job. Both Doherty and Coleman should have been rested for Tuesday. I don't see much difference in our midfield options, but set pieces were always likely to be important so McGrath and Hourihane.

My plan would be to have the wing backs push up, and try to get the front 5 in front of the ball as often as possible.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes now of course.

Thanks for going to that trouble, appreciated. I like that side, despite having no time for Hourihane in our side, but it's a positive ambitious team. It might ask a lot of Cullen covering the two wing-backs (and you make a clear distinction there).

So, based on the above, you'd have had Christie in the squad from the get go, instead of who, again purely out of interest? I can't remember who's set on which formation - but you'd have played a 3 at the back vs Portugal, or a flat 4 too?

And as you've referred to in the post that prompted my request above, it's planning in advance (taking account of the 3 games/7 days discussion) which means there's an idea of the team might line up ideally per match.
So going into tonight's match, can I assume you'd have reverted back to a back-3 with Coleman and Doherty. and you'd have dropped McGrath for Serbia allowing for the exertion of expecting him to play 3 almost full games in a row, again with who to rotate in?

Bielsa´s irish
06/09/2021, 11:46 AM
we are gonna play again 3 at the back vs Serbia he is gonna try to save his neck

centre mid
06/09/2021, 11:51 AM
Kenny has come out swinging in his presser today apparently. Some of the names being bamdied around to replace him make me sad. Either someone with no managerial experience to absolute dinosaurs who would want a very hefty payday.

backstothewall
06/09/2021, 11:58 AM
And as you've referred to in the post that prompted my request above, it's planning in advance (taking account of the 3 games/7 days discussion) which means there's an idea of the team might line up ideally per match.
So going into tonight's match, can I assume you'd have reverted back to a back-3 with Coleman and Doherty. and you'd have dropped McGrath for Serbia allowing for the exertion of expecting him to play 3 almost full games in a row, again with who to rotate in?

I broadly liked the team against Portugal. I think 3 at the back suits us against stronger opponents. But playing it in Dublin against a team who are going to sit back and see if we can break them open is effectively giving them an extra man.

I would have had Christie in the original squad, but it wouldn't have been instead of anyone. It would have been as well as the ones who were called up. I said somewhere way back in this thread that I thought a big O'Neill style squad was necessary.

And I'm not saying it's impossible for anyone to play 3 games in a week, but wingback is a physically demanding role, and things get tougher over 30. For the centre backs or young lads like Cullen or McGrath it's entirely possible to play all 3.

For Serbia I would have gone back to the 3 at the back. The exact selection would be dependent on who was still available, and there's a certain amount of butterfly effect to be considered. But on the basis of performances we've had in real life, something like...

GK: Bazunu
CB: Coleman
LWB: Doherty
DM Cullen
CM: Hendrick
LW: Connolly
CF: Idah/Parrott
RW: Robinson

Could make an argument for Omobamidele instead of Christie. I'm happy to admit that I'm a fan of Christie, but that would be my general plan.

Bielsa´s irish
06/09/2021, 12:00 PM
i think Serbia is gonna play counter attack

paul_oshea
06/09/2021, 12:01 PM
Kenny has come out swinging in his presser today apparently. Some of the names being bamdied around to replace him make me sad. Either someone with no managerial experience to absolute dinosaurs who would want a very hefty payday.

Any link

centre mid
06/09/2021, 12:16 PM
Any link

Just going of journalists on twitter

Kingdom
06/09/2021, 12:19 PM
I broadly liked the team against Portugal. I think 3 at the back suits us against stronger opponents. But playing it in Dublin against a team who are going to sit back and see if we can break them open is effectively giving them an extra man.

I would have had Christie in the original squad, but it wouldn't have been instead of anyone. It would have been as well as the ones who were called up. I said somewhere way back in this thread that I thought a big O'Neill style squad was necessary.

And I'm not saying it's impossible for anyone to play 3 games in a week, but wingback is a physically demanding role, and things get tougher over 30. For the centre backs or young lads like Cullen or McGrath it's entirely possible to play all 3.

For Serbia I would have gone back to the 3 at the back. The exact selection would be dependent on who was still available, and there's a certain amount of butterfly effect to be considered. But on the basis of performances we've had in real life, something like...

GK: Bazunu
CB: Coleman
LWB: Doherty
DM Cullen
CM: Hendrick
LW: Connolly
CF: Idah/Parrott
RW: Robinson

Could make an argument for Omobamidele instead of Christie. I'm happy to admit that I'm a fan of Christie, but that would be my general plan.

Thanks for this, and going to the time of answering questions directly, really appreciate it.
very clear direction there. Fully understand the 'butterfly effect' reference, none of us can mitigate for circumstances beyond our control.

Not a fan of Christie myself, but I'm honest enough to say that a lot of that is down to being ****ed at him being played centre midfield by O'Neill. He has attributes that I'd agree are welcome in a wing-back role. Out of respect, I won't debate some of your choices, I've said plenty before.

'Enjoy' the game.

backstothewall
06/09/2021, 12:35 PM
Thanks for this, and going to the time of answering questions directly, really appreciate it.
very clear direction there. Fully understand the 'butterfly effect' reference, none of us can mitigate for circumstances beyond our control.

Not a fan of Christie myself, but I'm honest enough to say that a lot of that is down to being ****ed at him being played centre midfield by O'Neill. He has attributes that I'd agree are welcome in a wing-back role. Out of respect, I won't debate some of your choices, I've said plenty before.

'Enjoy' the game.

I'll be "enjoying" this one on TV. Mrs Backstothewall is working so I've to stay home with the kids, but being spared 200 miles plus change of a round trip to watch Kenny's Ireland feels like a blessing at this stage. Of the 6 season ticket holders I usually go down with, only 2 haven't found an excuse to sidestep this one.

paul_oshea
06/09/2021, 12:52 PM
I'll be "enjoying" this one on TV. Mrs Backstothewall is working so I've to stay home with the kids, but being spared 200 miles plus change of a round trip to watch Kenny's Ireland feels like a blessing at this stage. Of the 6 season ticket holders I usually go down with, only 2 haven't found an excuse to sidestep this one.

As bad and all as Saturday was it was so good to be back, I didnt realise I'd missed it that much. And its certainly a lot easier to watch than on TV. That and my mate living 10 mins walk from the stadium helped!

MylesNotMiley
06/09/2021, 1:19 PM
We should be going with the same shape & personnel as possible from the Portugal game.

Omobamidele in for the injured DOS and I'd go with Christie for Coleman because of his pace and the fact he's not James McClean.

No Parrott or Molumby with Hendrick and McGrath coming back in.

The only unenforced change I'd like to see to from the Portugal XI is Robinson in for Connolly.

Diggs246
06/09/2021, 1:26 PM
Would u not go with Doherty as right wing back and manning on the left?

MylesNotMiley
06/09/2021, 1:31 PM
Would u not go with Doherty as right wing back and manning on the left?

Manning isn't as pacey as Cyrus, which would hinder our ability to break quickly. Unfortunately Christie hasn't played many games this season, so his fitness might be an issue.

John83
06/09/2021, 2:03 PM
We should be going with the same shape & personnel as possible from the Portugal game.

Omobamidele in for the injured DOS and I'd go with Christie for Coleman because of his pace and the fact he's not James McClean.

The only unenforced change I'd like to see to from the Portugal XI is Robinson in for Connolly.
I think that's all sensible, but might be modified by how people are doing in terms of fitness.

backstothewall
06/09/2021, 2:09 PM

This sounds more sensible that anything Stephen Kenny is likely to give us.

mark12345
06/09/2021, 2:35 PM
Not aimed at you elatedscum, but I really have to laugh at the lads who don't really rate Byrne? That's like saying we don't need anyone to make things happen in midfield - we never needed a Wes Hoolahan, Roy Keane or Liam Brady. Byrne should have been tried and if he failed go on to the next guy but we can't keep accepting the status quo in midfield.

MylesNotMiley
06/09/2021, 2:38 PM
I think that's all sensible, but might be modified by how people are doing in terms of fitness.

Yeah the fitness levels of the players will come in to it, but all being well that's what I'd like to see.

paul_oshea
07/09/2021, 10:51 AM
Going for 1-1 tonight. No one can have a run of constant defeats and draws. Tonight's the night, a bit of luck and then people start jumping the gun saying "if only" until October comes around and normal service resumes.

passinginterest
07/09/2021, 11:09 AM
https://www.the42.ie/shane-keegan-tactics-azerbaijan-ireland-5541565-Sep2021/

Some interesting analysis of the previous game. The conclusion probably sums up a lot of the argument around here too;

Conclusion

Let’s take a look at some of the stats.

Possession
Ireland 62% Azerbaijan 38%

Expected Goals
Ireland 2.05 Azerbaijan 0.28

Attempts from inside the 18-yard box
Ireland 14 Azerbaijan 4

Regardless of who the sides involved are, based on these metrics, the team getting the upper hand to this extent wins the game at least eight out of 10 times. Ireland didn’t. Why?

Is it because Stephen Kenny is not a good manager? Is it because the players are of a poor quality? Or was it down to bad luck?

The answer you will come up with will probably depend on what your perception of the players and management was before a ball was kicked in this game.

For tonight, I honestly don't know what to expect. Presumably the formation and set up will be more similar to the Portugal game that the Azeri game. Or does the management team gamble again on trying something a little bit different. Who replaces Coleman? Who comes into the midfield? Can Cullen, Duffy, Egan, Idah all manage another 90 minutes or does some consideration have to be given to resting one of them? Duffy and Idah would be the two I'd think might need a rest most, they're big lads and take a bruising in games, they probably need a bit more recovery time, plus Cullen has put in two huge shifts.

There's not too many options to rest Duffy, especially with Coleman out too, so presuming Duffy and Egan will start. I'm not sure it's the right game to return to a back 4 but I wouldn't rule it out either. It would be a huge gamble, but Omobambidele, alongside Egan in a back 4 would give a bit more pace and potentially the option to push higher up the field that could work. That increases the attacking options, do we go 4-3-3 with Robinson coming in on one side any Connolly/Horgan/Curtis on the other side? Idah or Collins through the middle? Or another roll of the dice and try an old fashioned 4-4-2, which would need a very disciplined central 2, presumably Cullen alongside Hourihane or Browne, McGrath probably too attacking, Molumby too erratic and Arter just doesn't seem to be an option despite taking up a squad space. Front two of Robinson and Idah or Collins? Maybe even Idah and Collins, if we're going to be trying to score from crosses, get the two big men on together, Idah offers pace in behind too.

There's a lot of options. A lot of gambles. Do the the FAI accept it's about building for the Euros and results now are not important? Can the fans and sponsors accept that? Is the damage being done to our ranking going to effect future seedings too much to be able to afford to continue experimenting? If it does all click tonight and there's a win to match a good performance, is Kenny safe for the next campaign regardless of the last rounds of games?

zero
07/09/2021, 11:24 AM
Difficult to ascribe any meaning to the result tonight. It may aswell be a friendly game, hoping for a decent performance and a couple of goals.

elatedscum
07/09/2021, 11:42 AM
Hard to know who to play at wing back. Don’t really feel confident with any of McClean, Manning, Scales or Christie.