PDA

View Full Version : College in League Cup Semi!! UCD 1 Waterford 0

Poor Student
04/07/2005, 9:40 PM
Well a side mixed with experienced players, a couple coming back from long term injury and some U-21s beat a strong enough (by their standards) Waterford side. Fairly dull game with a friendly like atmosphere due to the pace of the game and poor crowd (I'd venture a guess at 175-200). Tony McDonnell our uninspirational captain who cannot head scored his 5th goal in 6 games. A header from an Anto Murphy long throw. His 4th headed goal this season. Someone may or may not give a real report later, though it is the League Cup after all. ;) Onwards to the semis. :D

Poor Student
04/07/2005, 9:48 PM
UCD 1 WATERFORD UNITED 0
Tony McDonnell once again proved UCD's
captain marvel with a remarkable fifth
goal in six games to book the Students'
place in the eircom League Cup semis.

Managerless Blues had much of the
possession and Willie Doyle had a
header cleared off the line by Aaron
McEniff on 32 minutes.

UCD survived another scare three
minutes into the second half when Conor
Kenna bravely headed clear from a Colm
Heffernan shot.

The winner came when in the 55th minute
when McDonnell headed home Anto
Murphy's long throw from the left.

---------------------------------------------

That's what aertel says Shooter. I don't recall Waterford having as much possession as they make out. I think it was an even enough game, very little chances and quite boring. Not very memorable.

CollegeTillIDie
04/07/2005, 11:11 PM
U.C.D.
League Cup record
1979-2000 Didn't get past Group Stage
2000/2001 Finalists
2005 Semi-finalists...at least

CollegeTillIDie
04/07/2005, 11:17 PM
Well a side mixed with experienced players, a couple coming back from long term injury and some U-21s beat a strong enough (by their standards) Waterford side. Fairly dull game with a friendly like atmosphere due to the pace of the game and poor crowd (I'd venture a guess at 175-200). Tony McDonnell our uninspirational captain who cannot head scored his 5th goal in 6 games. A header from an Anto Murphy long throw. His 4th headed goal this season. Someone may or may not give a real report later, though it is the League Cup after all. ;) Onwards to the semis. :D

Yes very uninspirational... and give that he has spent 12 seasons at the club he is also disloyal :D :D :D

CollegeTillIDie
04/07/2005, 11:24 PM
For all you no shows for tonight's match intending to travel to the League game at the weekend it has been switched back to Saturday @6 p.m. in the RSC which is on the Cork Road (N25) just below the first Roundabout.

pineapple stu
05/07/2005, 12:15 AM
Tony McDonnell's fifth goal in six games saw UCD advance to the semi-finals of the League Cup for only the second time ever as they saw off Waterford United in a fairly tame encounter at Belfield Park this evening.

As expected, Pete Mahon used to occasion to give some of the more promising U-21s a chance alongside the experienced players - so the starting XI contained the likes of Aaron McEniff, Derek Doyle and Kieran Harte alongside Tony McDonnell, Anto Murphy and Conor Kenna, while Alan Mahon and Anto Murphy made returns from injury.

The only goal of a fairly even game came ten minutes into the second half, with Tony Mac powering home a header from an Anto Murphy cross. Paul Whitmarsh came closest to making it 2-0 when he made space on the edge of the area only to see his powerful drive curl inches wide. At the other end, Conor Kenna cleared off the line from Willie Doyle, while Neil Gallagher caused one or two - or several - heart attacks with some unortodox clearances, on occasion requiring his defence to back him up.

UCD now enter the semi-final draw alongside Shels, Cork or Longford and Derry or Drogheda, with a cheque for E2,500 already in the bag for making it this far. More important, however, is the meeting between the same two sides on Saturday evening in the league, with UCD looking for a repeat result to get their season abck on track after last Friday's hammering.

UCD - Gallagher; Mahon, McEniff, Shortall, Kenna; McDonnell, Murphy (McWalter), Harte, Doyle; Sammon, Whitmarsh (Dupuy). Subs not used - Quigley, O'Brien, Kelly.

Att - 210

Schumi
05/07/2005, 12:37 AM
They just won't get knocked out and save us more League Cup games will they? :p

A very similar game to the Rovers one; neither side seemed too interested but we managed to score. Amazing that Tony Mac has scored 6 goals in 7 games (I must try 'jinxing' him more often! :D ).

Threads merged also

pineapple stu
05/07/2005, 12:32 PM
Amazing that Tony Mac has scored 6 goals in 7 games (I must try 'jinxing' him more often! :D ).
5 in 6 only. Unless that's you jinxing him!

I see Waterford had a decent team out as well - Holden, Frost, Breen, Finn, Doyle, Waters and a couple of others I'd heard of. We had Gallagher, McEniff, Shortall, Sammon, Whitmarsh, Doyle and Harte! Some quality players coming through, by the looks of it.

Poor Student
05/07/2005, 3:15 PM
5 in 6 only. Unless that's you jinxing him!

By all means let him, it worked last night!

I'm still hoping Whitmarsh is not considered first choice in spite of having started the last few games. :o

Poor Student
05/07/2005, 5:56 PM
Btw, CTID or someone, as a matter of interest could you give me the amount of goals and appearances for Tony Mac in all comepetition (eL, LC, FAI Cup, Eur)?

pineapple stu
05/07/2005, 8:39 PM
League - 250, 27 (games, goals)
League Cup - 15, 2 (since 1998/99 only)
FAI Cup - 10, 3 (since 1998/99 only)
Leinster Senior Cup - 1, 0 (since 1998/99 only)
Super Cup and Europe - 0, 0 (was injured, I think)

pineapple stu
05/07/2005, 8:43 PM
Teaser of my own actually - have we ever lost a semi-final as a league team?

One League Cup semi which we won (2001).
One FAI Cup semi which we won (1984).
We've won the LSC three times, so there's three more wins. Though we were knocked out in the semis back in the 50s or something.

CollegeTillIDie
05/07/2005, 8:48 PM
Ok pineapple stu

We lost the 1896/97 Leinster Senior Cup Semi-final :D
We were also beaten finalists in the Leinster Cup in 1983/84 and 1984/85
We also lost a League of Ireland SHield final in 1983/84 and a Dublin City Cup Final the same season.

Schumi
05/07/2005, 9:15 PM
We lost the 1896/97 Leinster Senior Cup Semi-final :D
We were also beaten finalists in the Leinster Cup in 1983/84 and 1984/85
We also lost a League of Ireland SHield final in 1983/84 and a Dublin City Cup Final the same season.
So is that a 'no'?

CollegeTillIDie
05/07/2005, 10:03 PM
Aaron McEniff looks to be an option at left back in the absence of Robbie Mc :ball:

CollegeTillIDie
05/07/2005, 10:05 PM
The crowd did not look as high as 210 but I accept your figures pineapple stu

Colie
07/07/2005, 5:24 PM
Sorry guys, would have gone - work, damnit.

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2005, 6:54 PM
Sorry guys, would have gone - work, damnit.

When Work intereferes with football.....CHANGE YOUR JOB ! :D

pineapple stu
07/07/2005, 7:57 PM
When the League Cup interferes with work...you know you're in trouble! :D

Aberdonian Stu
08/07/2005, 8:06 AM
I think CTID meant the 19 96/97 LSC semi which we lost to Shels.

CollegeTillIDie
09/07/2005, 9:55 AM
No I meant 1896/97 but I appreciate being pointed out the error of my ways I had forgotten 1996/97 semi-final.