PDA

View Full Version : Away Support

Pages : [1] 2

The Stars
03/07/2005, 6:31 PM
been to dublin and monaghan to watch sligo on the road and the vocal support in both matches was brilliant.
Antone at the mons match today will have to agree that the level of support helped the team and lifted spirits,which was intimidating forthe home side.
Why cant the showgrounds be exposed to the same volume of noise.
Also well done to the lads who brought the drum,it added to the atmosphere and got the crowd going.

1 9 2 8
03/07/2005, 6:54 PM
I'd say around 200 Rovers supporters at the game compared to around 30-40 Monaghan if even that. It was a good atmosphere at the game coming from two different sections. The drum got quite in the second half

The Stars
03/07/2005, 7:10 PM
I'd say around 200 Rovers supporters at the game compared to around 30-40 Monaghan if even that. It was a good atmosphere at the game coming from two different sections. The drum got quite in the second half

The drum only got quite because the signing took over.Great to hear both sections signing together........
Did you see paul brown and his girlfriend,she was the blonde bombshell?

Petmuller
03/07/2005, 10:05 PM
I don't understand why Rovers supporters are so divided when it comes to vocal support. Today we had the 'drum' supporters down one end of the stand and the shedheads down the other. The shedheads sang throughout the game whereas the 'drum' supporters only sang in spits and starts. I thought it funny when the shedheads sang 'you only sing when you're drunk' which I took as a swipe at the 'drum' support. Probably wrong as usual :o

feo123
03/07/2005, 10:16 PM
Unbelievable atmosphere! hopefully thers wilbe a bus goin to kilkenny and we can get the same down there. that was brown at the match with his girlfriend. michael toolin seemed to be hosting them. anyone know about Mc T???? :)

Rory H
04/07/2005, 9:42 AM
you taking the ****?

garykelly
04/07/2005, 9:53 AM
Ya It was Tim McCann from Glentoran we have jus signed !

yup it was him alright. former leicester player. was supposed to go to ballymena but rovers have nipped in. glentoran player for 4 years.

http://www.glentoran.net/squad1-2.htm

Rory H
04/07/2005, 9:59 AM
he is a class act....quite a coup...faz can take him i think though

jstuff
04/07/2005, 10:55 AM
I don't understand why Rovers supporters are so divided when it comes to vocal support. Today we had the 'drum' supporters down one end of the stand and the shedheads down the other. The shedheads sang throughout the game whereas the 'drum' supporters only sang in spits and starts. I thought it funny when the shedheads sang 'you only sing when you're drunk' which I took as a swipe at the 'drum' support. Probably wrong as usual :o

Don't think it was a side swipe as none of us were drinking.

Where were you pet muller, its all well and good to comment on these things but why don'y you back us up.

Also, an open message to the shed heads, why don;t ye lads want anything to do with the people with the drum? Why do ye guys stop when the drum is played?

Redzer
04/07/2005, 12:00 PM
I am neither a Shed head or a Drum bum, but I thought ye complimented each other yesterday. The atmosphere was fantastic. With the two groups going together or at times alone, the sound was brillient from the stand.
Keep it up lads.

sligoman
04/07/2005, 12:05 PM
or a Drum bum

I like the nickname you've given them :D

Redzer
04/07/2005, 12:07 PM
yup it was him alright. former leicester player. was supposed to go to ballymena but rovers have nipped in. glentoran player for 4 years.

http://www.glentoran.net/squad1-2.htm

Could this mean Low is on the way out? :mad: :mad: :mad:

gustavo
04/07/2005, 12:15 PM
well he has signed for us full time

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/4648497.stm

in a glentoran forum they seem to regard him as a winger. so that explains that.

garykelly
04/07/2005, 1:24 PM
Could this mean Low is on the way out? :mad: :mad: :mad:

AFAIK the club were looking to secure low beyond this season. so i dont think low is going anywhere. great player. best left back in the league. bar none.

sligoman
04/07/2005, 3:30 PM
Well we have him now, so hopefully we can get Browne fairly soon. Another top striker would help us a lot, ;) .

ali2005
04/07/2005, 3:38 PM
I am neither a Shed head or a Drum bum, but I thought ye complimented each other yesterday. The atmosphere was fantastic. With the two groups going together or at times alone, the sound was brillient from the stand.
Keep it up lads.

:D Like the name :D

Petmuller
04/07/2005, 3:55 PM
Where were you pet muller, its all well and good to comment on these things but why don'y you back us up.

I was obviously at the game.
I didn't sit in the stand so I was down along the sideline. I don't think I made any negative comments other than the fact our supporters were divided and this I don't fully understand. The singing and chanting was fantastic and I know what I'm talking about as one had to be outside of the stand to get the full effect and believe me it was loud ... very loud at times.
Well done lads keep it up.
Bring on de town!

1 9 2 8
04/07/2005, 5:27 PM
Also, an open message to the shed heads, why don;t ye lads want anything to do with the people with the drum? Why do ye guys stop when the drum is played?
As Petmuller said the shedheads sang throughout the game but I think when the drum started banging it drowned out the singing.

Why did the guys with the Drum not join in when the shed lads when they where singing.

Also what’s all this us and ye shít we're all on the same side?

Fair play to every one who got behind the team I hope it will continue in the Showgrounds

red arrow
04/07/2005, 7:45 PM
i was at the game and i sat beside the drummer boys i thought they did a fantastic job not alone did they make noise but they also took on the resposibility of carrying the drum around all day. fair play to you gary and co.also from reading some of the posts on this board you would think that we were in competition with each other. this petty slagging has to stop lets all get togeather we are after all supporting the one team. only for the drummer boys and a few others a lot of the support was drifting down to the railing surrounding the pitch. it was them who coaxed most of the support up into the stand. i appreciate that there was another bunch of supporters on the far side of the stand but as i said it would have being even better if everybody was concentrated in the one area. this is what has to be done at the home matches. i spoke to CARLOS after the game and he said that the noise and the drum beats lifted the team no end. he acting as a spokesman for the rst of the players said please give the same support in the showgrounds. he told me that he is beginning to settle in sligo but found it very difficult for a while. so lads i implore all of yee to get togeather for sat night unfortunately i will miss the game but i am looking forward to two results nr 1 is rovers winning and nr 2 is to hear about the great support and level of noise

sligoman
05/07/2005, 12:16 AM
but they should me no ye and them thing just us !

:confused:, and in English that means? :D

LondonRover
05/07/2005, 10:54 AM
The away support sounds promising but I don't like the sound of splits between the noisy, vocal (more passionate?) sections of support. I was at the home game with Malahide and the atmosphere was pretty poor - a few stabs at the drum, a skite of kids chanting 'Sligo' (Strand Celtic kids?) and a few lads at the back of the Stand - no more.
Hopefully the craic on the away trips will begin to transmit itself back into The Showgrounds but the way the lads spread themselves out around the ground can hamper this.
Next game I'm at will be the Dub City away game at the end of the month - hopefully there'll be a good mob for that cos i fancy a good sing song! :D

garykelly
05/07/2005, 11:03 AM
As Petmuller said the shedheads sang throughout the game but I think when the drum started banging it drowned out the singing.

Why did the guys with the Drum not join in when the shed lads when they where singing.

Also what’s all this us and ye shít we're all on the same side?

Fair play to every one who got behind the team I hope it will continue in the Showgrounds

lads, for home games why cant we all go into the Jinks avenue stand. the western stand isnt the place to try and create any atmosphere at all. ok so the jinks avenue stand is supposed to be for away fans but with a couple of exceptions there never is. there's a better chance getting the crowd over there going than in the main stand, it's simply too open. the stand in monaghan was nice, small and enclosed. There is great noise coming from the lower stand end. the shed heads do a class job but this noise is being projected into the open and it's hard to hear singing at different parts of the stand. I know it's hard to leave an area where u are used to watching the match but Jinks avenue is the only place (bar the shed) that can save the showgrounds from having no atmosphere.

Re: mons
The "drum bums" did join in singing with the shedheads.the singin got so good that we stopped the drum until it went all quiet again.If your singin it's v hard to hear anyone else above those around you. The shedheads kept the songs going and the drum created noise in between. i cant see anything to cause anxed between anyone. We shud all meet up before a game, "drum bums" and shed heads.that's the only way to merge both.
It's not a comp on here or anything and so we shouldnt be here to be trying to get one over on each other. we're all loyal rovers supporters are we not.

Anyway this is just all talk. we'll be down to the match on sat( so if anyone wants to join in then great) and we'll see what the story is then. of course it's fine saying that and then turning tail at the match . i thought mons game was a great example of what supporters can do together. C'mon lads, let's make it count on Saturday night.

LondonRover
05/07/2005, 11:06 AM
Excellent idea - Jinks Ave stand is nice and tight and low - would get a great bit of noise if you 50 lads in there singing with the drum banging away

showgies
05/07/2005, 11:13 AM
I heard the shed will be open Saturday night

LondonRover
05/07/2005, 11:19 AM
I heard Elvis Presley is coming to open it. :D

sligoman
05/07/2005, 1:11 PM
Yes, it's true

Not sure if he's available to open it though

ali2005
05/07/2005, 1:51 PM

:D :D

1 9 2 8
05/07/2005, 6:45 PM
I got this photo e-mailed to me today some of the Red army on tour

http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/4417/s24000161bk.jpg

gustavo
06/07/2005, 9:07 AM
any forum members wish to to stand up and be counted?:)

Rory H
06/07/2005, 10:14 AM

we going there then? :confused:

sligoman
06/07/2005, 11:30 AM
any forum members wish to to stand up and be counted?:)

No Gustavo, I'm not in that :(

sligoman
06/07/2005, 12:13 PM
From the Sligo Weekender

There was a large travelling support in Century Homes Park with Rovers supporters easily outnumbering the home fans. Connor said that the away support has been fantastic all season and that this atmosphere needs to be re-created in The Showgrounds and that maybe the re-opening of the Shed End is the key to this.
“I think for every away game the Sligo Rovers supporters have been fantastic. I’m talking about the people who came to Monaghan, and the ones who’ve watched us in Tolka Park and Terryland Park. They are really genuine supporters.
“Sometimes in The Showgrounds I feel that if we are noisy like that it certainly helps the players and gets behind them.
“Maybe we have got to get the Shed End open as quickly as possible to get those sort of guys in there and make that sort of noise.
“I think people in The Showgrounds can see that the team is trying to play football and at times we are going to try to keep the ball. I would ask fans not to get disillusioned with that and not to maybe expect us to push it forward early at every opportunity because that is not the way we train during the week.”

gustavo
06/07/2005, 1:40 PM
Hedderman is better than Kapuno Low

good to see the art of comedy is alive and well in galway:)

shedhead
06/07/2005, 5:12 PM
you are joking when you say that Hedderman is the best left back in the league arent u, no way could u think that he is better then Low :confused:

Da Real Rover
06/07/2005, 5:42 PM
Hedderman is better than Kapuno Low, but low is probably the second best leftback, better than any left back we have, even better than the great Michael Quirke :eek:
Theres really no comparison between Kupuno and Hedderman, Kupuno all the way.

feo123
06/07/2005, 6:01 PM
Hedderman is better than Kapuno Low :eek:
He he! your avin a laugh m8.

sligoman
07/07/2005, 12:35 AM
and flannery is $hite,

:eek:, bad move Vinny, red til dead is Flannery's no.1 fan :D

Sheridan
07/07/2005, 12:49 AM
Low is a much better player, all things considered, than Hedderman. Hedderman also harbours a very pronounced nasty streak. I don't mind intimidating, sh*t-kicking defenders, but he crosses the line sometimes with gratuitous and needlessly violent transgressions.

Redzer
07/07/2005, 11:25 AM
he is pure $hite
And you would know $hite players when you see them, wouldn't you? You ceryainly have your share of them.:D
Flannery is the most improved player in the whole of the Eircom League this season. I dont know what Sean is saying to him, but, he is unrecognizable from the form of his previous seasons. Superb player now. It proves what a differance a good manager can do with a player.
Hedderman V Low; no comparison. although I liked Hedderman, Low is by far the better player.

Patrick Dunne
07/07/2005, 12:17 PM
Flannery is much improved ... he didn't play one game last season.
A miraculous recovery, especially considering he had allegedly retired from
the game last year. :mad:

Redzer
07/07/2005, 12:48 PM
No, I'm not saying just because he moved to Sligo, that he has improved. I'm saying he has improved so much under Sean Conner, that he is a totally different player from what he was before. That includes the time he was with us previously.

Da Real Rover
07/07/2005, 5:25 PM
At the start of the season Flannery was sh!te and there is no denying that. But over the last 2 months he is a totally different player. He was without doubt the greatest donkey that graced the showgrounds ( apart from jack) but now he is a quality player. He works his socks off and is scoring goals. For defenders he is one massive pain in the ass and he is the perfect foil for Saint Paul.

1 9 2 8
07/07/2005, 6:24 PM
What would these Galway Muppets know about our player most of them only saw one Rovers game this season expect for the 2 or 3 that travelled to The Showgrounds stick to your own from and stop trolling ours

Mayo Red
07/07/2005, 7:55 PM
Hedderman is better than Kapuno Low

Your sh**in me, why don't ye get him to shore up your defence then! :rolleyes:

feo123
07/07/2005, 8:39 PM
obiously because he moved to sligo he must be good.. right
good man.... you hit the nail on the head there. fair play!!

Da Real Rover
07/07/2005, 10:15 PM
Forever the second team in Connaught forever be inferior to us. So until you can accept that fu*k off to hippy land and you dont honestly think we're going to respect your opinion when you got a signature like that.

roversforever
07/07/2005, 10:17 PM
why dont you bite your thong
coz men in sligo don't wear thongs never mind bite them!!strange what ye are into in galway!! :D :D

Da Real Rover
07/07/2005, 10:55 PM
haha , sorry my spelling is bad, as for the sligo we are massive syndrom i can see its spreading fast :eek:
Ya dont have to be massive to be bigger than yourselves.

Paraic
08/07/2005, 4:36 PM
Folks

you've gone way off topic on an 'Away support' thread - can you start a new thread on players pls - I don't have the time to split the thread

Thanks

Paraic

feo123
09/07/2005, 4:34 PM
this is not trolling, you sligo muppets come out with a all the time that you think that dave o dowd is ****, everytime, and i give my opinion on low which i am more than intitled to, and just because im from galway you try and start something, good ahead have it, as for flannery he must have got the queens luck, because when i saw him play, which was quite a few times he was a donkey, why dont you bite your thong and respect another persons opinion instead of all these childish remarks...
F**k off back to your own F*****g forum!! ya smelly jip ya!!