PDA

View Full Version : Big win in Kildare

Bono_Keane
02/07/2005, 8:31 PM
Kildare County 1 Galway United 2 ....and first goal of Eric Lavine. I though he still was not avaible to play....

JC_GUFC
02/07/2005, 10:23 PM
Yeah great win.

Very windy there today - Kildare had it behind them in the first half and were on top - Goughy made a couple of very good saves before possibly the worst miss I've ever seen - Alan McNevin shot across the face of goal and following it in was Robbie Shields who somehow hit the underside of the bar from about a yard (I'm not taking the **** - it was seriously about a yard!)
Barry O'Connor headed over with a free header while Billy miscued when shooting towards an unguarded net from a corner - though the ball fell quickly to him.
United then scored a great goal, the build up came down the left with Mixie & Derek, Mixie seemed to lose the ball to Barry O'Connor but won it back on the end line, pulled it back to Barry Moran who laid it off to Derek and he drilled his shot to the top corner from about 16 yards.
Unfortunately 2 minutes into injury time Kildare got the goal they deserved - the ball bounced twice in the box without being cleared and it was hooked home by a Kildare boot. (Although it says 48 on Aertel it was a first half goal!)
In the 2nd half the momentum switched to United and Eric scored on his comeback - a ball over the top wasn't dealt with by Ray Scully and Eric ran on to the ball and lobbed the keeper who was stranded off his line.
Billy managed to miss a sitter as United pressed for a third, which always looked more likely than an equaliser, though Goughy made another good save...
Johnny Mernagh came on late in the game and had 2 good chances to score both similar to Eric's goal - the first he couldn't get the ball under control and a defender got back before he shot and the second (literally the last kick in the game!) went over the bar.

Great performance by United - though one or two defensive lapses, which could have been punished.

On a bit of a roll now and with Cobh and Limerick losing top 3 is a definite possibility - though Dublin City won at Cobh so we're still gonna need luck for 2nd.

Man of the Match I guess has to be Eric, apart from the goal he played really well and worked very hard. I'm confident he will score goals in this division and hopefully will work well with Barry. Running Eric a close second was Alan Gough who made some great saves against his hometown club!

J

Conor H
02/07/2005, 10:31 PM
...That's the perfect match report.It took us a while to get out of the starting block but once we got going we hammered them and played really well through out.King Eric could be the difference for us and Johnny Mernagh did well when he came on although he possibly could have taken one or two cahnces that fell to him.Bring on the Lims! :)

DonO'Bate
02/07/2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah great win.

Man of the Match I guess has to be Eric, apart from the goal he played really well and worked very hard. I'm confident he will score goals in this division and hopefully will work well with Barry. Running Eric a close second was Alan Gough who made some great saves against his hometown club!

J
THE KING HAS RETURNED - LONG LIVE THE KING!!!
THE KING HAS RETURNED - LONG LIVE THE KING

Galwayexile
03/07/2005, 10:30 AM
great win for galway, hopefully now we will move up the table.Good to see levine is back now.Barry moran should benefit greathly from him. Interesting that everything is looking up after tony mannion left the club.
What is joan rojas like? what position does he play?

roversfan
03/07/2005, 1:11 PM
as much as id love to see ye below us in the table...dont get carried away.
ye came to the showgrounds and gave us as good a game for the first 20 minutes...then ye fell apart.
i think limerick will beat ye next week because yer not consistant.
kildare are not the team they were last year..in fact crap this season.
But come on you guys lets keep dublin city out of the top, any team that get only a handful of supporters dont deserve to be in the premier.

Conor H
03/07/2005, 7:07 PM
wow thats great, 2 wins on the trot away from home (not including our brandywell visit :rolleyes:) also to hear that eric scored is great, how did young mernagh play ? unfortunely i couldnt attend :mad:
I said it above he was sharp and looked dangerous put could have possibly done better with 1 or 2 chances.
Have to agree Vinny i can only see things getting better and with Eric back Promtion isn't yet out of the question. :)

GalwayFrancis
03/07/2005, 8:11 PM
if we win our game in hand against Athlone Town (when's that gonna
take place ?)we would move up into 6th place and only 13 pts behind
Sligo on the top stop, could happen. A good win (3 or 4 goals) against
limerick this friday would be a big help. Limerick's inconsistant form of
late is a good sign, with them only winning two of their last five games
( D W L W L ). hopefully eric will get a good recption when he returns
in a maroon shirt this friday. whats the story with his contract??? how
many yrs? and anyone know how much he's getting paid??

Utd Till I Die
03/07/2005, 10:41 PM
Galway exile and vinny why are ye still going on about Tony mannion, when ye dont really know what yer talkin about. Tony Mannion was brilliant for our club, but vinny you especially keep going on how good its going since he left, rubbish, Yes things are going well at the moment but he would have started most of that off. With all due respects to stephen lally he seems to be gettin the hang of it now, but don't think he bought those players off his own bat, that would have been mannion. its lallys first season he wouldn't have even known were to look. i think its a pity tony felt he had to leave cause he would have been behind a lot of the things going on behind the scenes. so stop going on bout somethin you really dont know about and start supporting the club and all its members. thats the problem with this club there is too many people with opinons about other people.

Terry
04/07/2005, 8:04 AM
Delighted, great result. Just hope that Eric was entitled to play :confused: as I was reading elsewhere he wasn't able to play till the Limerick match???

Anyway, we are on a roll now and lets hope it can keep going. For a few seasons now our away form has been p*ss poor to say the least, and to get 2 away wins in a row is great to see, but the opposition teams have been going through rough times so Limerick such prove to be a much stronger opposition. Still, a home win by all accounts.

Have put a nice bit of money on them for the past 2 weeks so I'm even happier than usual!!! :D :D