PDA

View Full Version : Galway fans plan move to save club

Neil
18/06/2001, 3:57 AM
Alarmed Galway United supporters have reacted to the club's precarious plight by vowing to set up a supporters' trust based on one of English football's success stories.

Northampton Town were saved from extinction in 1992 after their fans founded such a trust and United supporters have looked into what happened across the Irish sea with the aim of testing the plan in Galway.

The aims of a supporters' trust would include:
• To have meaningful supporter representation at board level
• To make the club fully accountable to the supporters
• To ensure the club meets the highest standards of business management
• To encourage youth and community programmes

Supporters would pay a small membership fee to gain entry to the trust, but in return they could elect a committee and executive, from which somebody would be voted onto the club's board of directors.

In severe debt and managerless, the Connacht club is urgently in need of some surgery. United supporters interested in implementing their new idea will meet shortly to trash out a plan of action.

joe
18/06/2001, 5:32 PM
Is this being run by the GUISA or is their a new group after forming up there?

Éanna
18/06/2001, 6:39 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunatley I can't imagine the same thing happening in a similar situation down here.

JC_GUFC
19/06/2001, 3:02 PM
It's nothing to do with GUISA. The Trust is NOT a Supporters' Club.

A few people on the mailing list (getting fed up with all the shady dealings going on behind our backs) were discussing how we could have fans involved in the running of the club so we would know where all the money was going - I suggested something along the lines of the Northampton Town Supporters' Trust so we're meeting on Saturday to try and get the ball rolling.

CU
JC

joe
19/06/2001, 4:21 PM
Best of luck with it JC. I hope it works out.

Éanna
19/06/2001, 6:55 PM
Yeah, best of luck.