PDA

View Full Version : The End of Shelbourne

pete
02/07/2005, 11:11 AM
Last nights team was:

Shelbourne: Delaney, Heary, Crawley, Rogers, Ryan (Hoolahan, 59), Baker, Ndo, S Byrne, Cahill, J Byrne, Crowe, (O'Neill, 87).

From starting eleven i can only see Hawkins & Hoolahan missing as i think Williams was dropped?

I don't buy this talk of injuries as all i see is team missing couple of players in poor form.

Every week that shels fall further down the table (even playing games in advance like Longford doesn't help) with Derry City, Drogs & Bohs catching them adds to the crisis.

Form so is bad especially defence i doubt they can buy their way out of trouble.

superfrank
02/07/2005, 11:25 AM
You're top, just leave them. You should calm down and wait til you've actually won the title before inciting the Shels fans.

pete
02/07/2005, 11:28 AM
Separate discussion. What i'm saying si they are so bad form that even if halfway through season could even fail to qualify for Europe. IF teams win games in hand Shels could be 5th.

superfrank
02/07/2005, 11:32 AM
Derry are better then them this season, I honestly expected Derry to win. Shels had been on a patchy run but I think they've turned a corner in recent weeks.

As they say, what goes around, comes around.....

jorge
02/07/2005, 12:30 PM
Hopefully they'll do a Liverpool (good in Europe,crap in league) :D

EnDai
02/07/2005, 12:49 PM
Tbh, once we still qualify for Europe it's not a total disaster. But again, thats far from certain atm.

This bad patch is insane, and last night was the same reason as there was for many of our defeats:

We spend the first half punting the ball about with no real aim, complacently and create nothing. We're sloppy and give the opposition easy goals, and proceed with the same nonsene till half time. After half time we come out and play good football, but have too much of a mountain to climb to claw anything out of it.

Maybe if Nutsy gave his (seemingly amazing!) half time talks before the game, some of this could be averted. There seems to be a lack of effort in the first 45 and it takes a bollocking at half time to sort it out.

Games I'm thinking of where we showed this kind of pattern.

Derry
UCD
Longford (I'm aware we didn't lose this, but the lack of effort in the first half was apparent, and Longofrd were unlucky to get nothing)
Derry (again) - gg :)
Linfield
Rovers

It seems to be that Shels only want to play football in the second half, when they've already given away too much of an advantage to their opponents.

Slash/ED
02/07/2005, 1:30 PM
Hawkins and Harris are out, which means the defence is all over the place. Crawley, argubley the worst full time professional full back in the world right now (I honestly think you'd struggle to find worse, I really do) is playing centre half and Cahill playing left back, it's no wonder we're leaking goals. Hoolahan would make a big difference to the side, it's a combination of that and certain players are just off form.

As ever, the Cork fans like to do the talking halfway through the season rather than wait till the end (years of experience there) and so this is typically over the top crap, but we'll definitely struggle badly to win the league this year. Too much long ball when we've a team thats not capable of playing that way.

Cosmo
02/07/2005, 1:46 PM
'Crawley, argubley the worst full time professional full back in the world'

No doubt about that, he is siht and always has been - craptown scummer :p

Forza Glentoran
02/07/2005, 1:59 PM
Hawkins and Harris are out, which means the defence is all over the place. Crawley, argubley the worst full time professional full back in the world right now (I honestly think you'd struggle to find worse, I really do) is playing centre half and Cahill playing left back, it's no wonder we're leaking goals. Hoolahan would make a big difference to the side, it's a combination of that and certain players are just off form.

Will you have a full-strength team for our first leg at the Oval? What do you guys think your chances are of getting a result up here? This time last year we also played a professional team, halfway through their season, and beat them. We also played Derry City at the Brandywell in November, in what was a very competitive friendly, and drew 1-1. So I wouldn't think it's a foregone conclusion that you will win.

ThatGuy
02/07/2005, 2:04 PM
Well after Colin Honkins playing a huge role in 3 of the worst European results for Irish clubs in the last few years (Zimbru x 2 and Levadia) Glens fans should be hoping that he is back!!!

EnDai
02/07/2005, 2:31 PM
Will you have a full-strength team for our first leg at the Oval? What do you guys think your chances are of getting a result up here? This time last year we also played a professional team, halfway through their season, and beat them. We also played Derry City at the Brandywell in November, in what was a very competitive friendly, and drew 1-1. So I wouldn't think it's a foregone conclusion that you will win.

I don't think anyone does! :)

CollegeTillIDie
02/07/2005, 2:34 PM
If Shelbourne play to their potential they can win but it won't be easy.
The one thing you need to avoid is going out on away goals (ala Rovers V Linfield in 1984/85 season)

Colm
02/07/2005, 3:26 PM
Tbh, once we still qualify for Europe it's not a total disaster.

:D :D :D
My goodness!

exile
02/07/2005, 3:35 PM
i remember one of the papers saying last week even though shels are champions they are not drawing any extra income from sponsorship even after their run in europe last year . where are they getting their money from ? its sure as hell not from attendences so how long can they go on paying their top players ? not very long if they keep playing the way they are

ThatGuy
02/07/2005, 3:38 PM
I am sure that everyone has heard of the dodgy dealings at Shelbourne. It will all end in tears for Ollie Byrne and Shelbourne.

Of course the Shels fans will maintain that their attendances finance their wages :rolleyes:

Mayo Red
02/07/2005, 5:25 PM
Watched the game on Setanta, looked a decent game on tv. Draw would have been a fair result in fairness as Shels were very good in the second half, but they left themselves too much of a mountain to climb! Also credit to Derry for their defending. Cork should beware of the wounded animal though!

Of course the Shels fans will maintain that their attendances finance their wages :rolleyes:

Hard to keep a full-time professional team going without bums on seats, it looked like there was a lot of tumbleweed in the stands!

pete
02/07/2005, 7:13 PM

I wonder will shels fans wait as long as Rovers fans before taking action against their board for bringing their to brink of collapse....?

ThatGuy
02/07/2005, 7:43 PM
Of course not. Sure they all thik that they can sustain the biggest wage bill in the history of Irish football from their attendances!

BohDiddley
02/07/2005, 8:32 PM
it looked like there was a lot of tumbleweed in the stands!
that's what you're mean to think ... it's really tobacco :D

Slash/ED
02/07/2005, 8:33 PM
I wonder will shels fans wait as long as Rovers fans before taking action against their board for bringing their to brink of collapse....?

:D

There is some shyte talked in here.

Our revenue comes because we are, or at least seems to me, the best and most pro active team in the country when it comes to fund raising. There is always something going on with us fund raising wise. Attendences alone don't cover the costs of running any club in this country, or any club in any country. We also got the most money out of the Setanta cup in this country.

If we had a board spending along the lines of Rovers we'd be long gone. We've been there or there abouts and in contention pratically every season since 1992, we're the only team in the country who can say that, and in that time we've always been financially strong, obviously the people running the club know what they're doing, whatever you may think of them.

I do however always find time to laugh at gobsh*te Bohs fans who think they know things based on reading it on internet forums from other gobsh*te Bohs fans.

BohDiddley
02/07/2005, 8:47 PM
:D
I do however always find time to laugh at gobsh*te Bohs fans who think they know things based on reading it on internet forums from other gobsh*te Bohs fans.
Gettin' to ya, is it?
Are you nutsy in disguise? :p

Slash/ED
02/07/2005, 8:54 PM
Gettin' to ya, is it?
Are you nutsy in disguise? :p

It certinaly is :) Another crap performance and I left the ground curseing the name Bobby Ryan, I feel like a Bohs fan....

As for Nutsy, I hear he's taking part in a legends v fans match at Dalymount Park. I can see a few harsh tackles flying in in that game...

dcfcsteve
03/07/2005, 2:57 AM
We also got the most money out of the Setanta cup in this country.

So Belfast isn't in Ireland then.....?

Just checking.....

Troy.McClure
03/07/2005, 11:18 AM
Nope, its in Britan :D ;)

Im sure that $hels will come back, they had a great come back when they stole the league off Bohs the Foot & Mouth year. Still though, its ok to gloat when the league table has you right on the top :)

anto eile
03/07/2005, 12:59 PM
Tbh, once we still qualify for Europe it's not a total disaster. But again, thats far from certain atm.

This bad patch is insane, and last night was the same reason as there was for many of our defeats:

We spend the first half punting the ball about with no real aim, complacently and create nothing. We're sloppy and give the opposition easy goals, and proceed with the same nonsene till half time. After half time we come out and play good football, but have too much of a mountain to climb to claw anything out of it.

Maybe if Nutsy gave his (seemingly amazing!) half time talks before the game, some of this could be averted. There seems to be a lack of effort in the first 45 and it takes a bollocking at half time to sort it out.

Games I'm thinking of where we showed this kind of pattern.

Derry
UCD
Longford (I'm aware we didn't lose this, but the lack of effort in the first half was apparent, and Longofrd were unlucky to get nothing)
Derry (again) - gg :)
Linfield
Rovers

It seems to be that Shels only want to play football in the second half, when they've already given away too much of an advantage to their opponents.

strange.a shels fan looking at logical reasons for being beaten. it differs a lot from the "official line"- its the refs/linesmans fault. weve injuries/weve to travel too far/weve to play too many games/the league is against us/its all the bookies fault.

if i were you endai, id keep quiet qith all that logical talk if ollie byrne or pat fenlon are within earshot.they wont like that type of talk

Mayo Red
03/07/2005, 1:41 PM
that's what you're mean to think ... it's really tobacco :D

Sure Ollie has to store the ciggies somewhere! :D

EnDai
03/07/2005, 2:37 PM
strange.a shels fan looking at logical reasons for being beaten. it differs a lot from the "official line"- its the refs/linesmans fault. weve injuries/weve to travel too far/weve to play too many games/the league is against us/its all the bookies fault.

if i were you endai, id keep quiet qith all that logical talk if ollie byrne or pat fenlon are within earshot.they wont like that type of talk

Yeah, cause being a Shels fan means I'm automatically unlogical! :confused: :)

Roverstillidie
03/07/2005, 6:41 PM
Yeah, cause being a Shels fan means I'm automatically unlogical! :confused: :)

that would be illogical my semi-literate friend

bloody northsiders :D

EnDai
03/07/2005, 6:50 PM
Actually, southsider! :p Used to live next to one of Rovers temporary grounds for many years and went to many games, I guess thats where I picked up my poor English skills and fondness for jumping on wing-mirrors! ;)

dcfcsteve
03/07/2005, 9:39 PM

Errr - no it's not actually....

Sadly - whilst Belfast may be in the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland', the fact that Britain and NI are separated in the official title of the UK should be a clue to the fact that Norn Iron is not actually a part of Britain.

But nice try.... :D :p

BohsFans
04/07/2005, 12:01 AM

Im sure that $hels will come back, they had a great come back when they stole the league off Bohs the Foot & Mouth year. Still though, its ok to gloat when the league table has you right on the top :)

eh... check again Bohs won the league that year :D

The Sheliban
04/07/2005, 5:44 AM
We won a lot of games last year that we really shouldn't have - getting victories when a draw seemed likeliest. This year, other top clubs seem to have improved.
Having said that, there's no doubt there's been a crisis of confidence at the club with many players off form.
Reckon we'll have to do a Liverpool to get back in the Champions League next year. However I don't expect us to overcome the Glens.

patsh
04/07/2005, 7:39 AM
To be fair to $hels, AFAIK, they have made out their budgets for each year based on NOBODY coming through the turnstiles, and have been doing that for a few years. As for not attracting sponsorship, Malone put it very well in an article in the IT last week, when he said that the antics of Byrne in particular would be a turn off for any potential sponsor. Byrne might have been the greatest asset of $hels once, but he must be one of their biggest liabilites now.

As for the end of their season, far too early to be saying that. A 10 - 12 game winning run is more than possible if this team get their act together. City's form could be easily upset by Europe (tough games against Bohs and Drogs, either side of the UEFA cup game), while $hels have got at least one game played which might have been upset by Europe and took the 3 points.
If City are 6 points ahead after 24 or 25 games played at least, we would be looking good, but far too early yet, it's hard to see $hels not putting together a really good run during the rest of the season. Derry are in with just as big a shout as City are at the moment.

rebs23
04/07/2005, 8:33 AM
TBH Shels are going to put a run together at some stage, too many good players not to but it's enjoyable for evereyone else to watch them falling apart at the moment.

Macy
04/07/2005, 8:49 AM
If we had a board spending along the lines of Rovers we'd be long gone. We've been there or there abouts and in contention pratically every season since 1992, we're the only team in the country who can say that, and in that time we've always been financially strong, obviously the people running the club know what they're doing, whatever you may think of them.
Has to be dodgy if Shels fail in europe and don't qualify for the Europe or the Setanta next year. However, it was only the close season before last that Oily was holding begging meetings, and players were having salaries cut. Doesn't sound that long term financially strong to me...

pete
04/07/2005, 8:52 AM
I only worry for Citys home form.
Without bias i can honestly say we haven't been lucky in any away games & deserved the points we got.

I've said it before but IMO shels problem is not enough young hunger players. All their signings last winter were guys that had "made it" in eL terms already. eL teams need a mix of up & coming & experienced players.

Slash/ED
04/07/2005, 5:19 PM
Has to be dodgy if Shels fail in europe and don't qualify for the Europe or the Setanta next year. However, it was only the close season before last that Oily was holding begging meetings, and players were having salaries cut. Doesn't sound that long term financially strong to me...

You're more than likely right that if we don't make Europe or the Setanta we'll have to move a few players on, that's true of any club at the top I'd say.

And you're right in your second point too, but the flooding was the main reason behind that, it's hardly something that could be budgeted for. Salaries weren't cut, players wages at the time were deferred and have since been paid in full.

Gerrit
04/07/2005, 8:04 PM
Errr - no it's not actually....

Sadly - whilst Belfast may be in the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland', the fact that Britain and NI are separated in the official title of the UK should be a clue to the fact that Norn Iron is not actually a part of Britain.

But nice try.... :D :p

Without going into this political debate, what is a fact is that Shels won the most cash of the ROI teams and thus EL sides in the Setanta Cup. Linfield is not a direct competitor as they're in a different league, think that's what was meant in the post you replied to.

I was not that disappointed with what I saw vs Derry. Bad result, but the second half we created more chances than in many of the games before. If it weren't for a few bad finishes and Derry's goalkeeper playing a superb game, we had at least a draw and crisis talks would be over...

OneRedArmy
04/07/2005, 8:27 PM
Without going into this political debate, what is a fact is that Shels won the most cash of the ROI teams and thus EL sides in the Setanta Cup. Linfield is not a direct competitor as they're in a different league, think that's what was meant in the post you replied to.

I was not that disappointed with what I saw vs Derry. Bad result, but the second half we created more chances than in many of the games before. If it weren't for a few bad finishes and Derry's goalkeeper playing a superb game, we had at least a draw and crisis talks would be over...

Gerritt I applaud your astute geo-political knowledge. I was also delighted to see some of your fellow Shels fans on Friday nite taking the opportunity to practice their flute playing and sectarian abuse in advance of your visit to the "dirty north" to play the Glens on the 13th. Good luck and I hope your have a go heroes try the same behaviour in the Oval. You might have a few more seats spare on the bus home than you did on the way up mind.

Gerrit
04/07/2005, 8:43 PM
Gerritt I applaud your astute geo-political knowledge. I was also delighted to see some of your fellow Shels fans on Friday nite taking the opportunity to practice their flute playing and sectarian abuseon .

what does 'astute' mean ?

Ehm, just out of curiosity, but what was sung towards Derry fans ? I think every reasonable Shels fan (and the core support should be reasonable lads, I can certainly confirm this from the fans always travelling with the team) will judge any sectarianism. A bit of taunting, yes (eg the "Pay your taxes to your queen" last season), but serious sectarianism ?? Will be judged by fair Shels fans.

Not saying nothing was sung, therefor I am asking you. I'm sure any core Shels fan will judge sectarianism. I could be wrong, but from visits to football games in both ROI and NI it seems the majority of fans wants to boot racism and sectarianism out of the grounds.