PDA

View Full Version : UCD 1-5 Cork City

pineapple stu
02/07/2005, 1:37 AM
UCD suffered their biggest defeat since 2001 and one of their biggest home defeats since joining the league as a combination of eleven UCD off days and some scintillating football from Cork City saw the visitors leave Belfield with a 5-1 win.

Despite the return of Alan Mahon to the squad, manager Pete Mahon made only one change from the side which had beaten Bray and Drogheda in recent weeks - Aidan Lynch replacing Brian Shortall in the centre of defence - while his counterpart Damien Richardson brought Liam Kearney back into the team as expected, with John O'Flynn - whose recent visits to Belfield Park have included a hat-trick and an injury afterthree minutes - partnering Neale Fenn up front.

Despite Cork being unbeaten in nine games compared to UCD's seven, much of the media had gone for a UCD win, or at worst, a tight draw. From the off, however, it was clear that UCD had left their footballing boots in the dressing room, and Cork should have been one up in side ten minutes when they had a three on one break, but the through ball to Fenn was too far behind. Shortly afterwards, Darren Quigley had to be at his best to turn a free from 20 yards around the post.

The breakthrough which had been threatened came midway through the half, but when it came, it was a hugely disappointing goal from UCD's point of view. A cross from the right should have been dealt with comfortably, but instead Lynch headed it straight downwards, where Liam Kearney was waiting to poke home from inside the six yard box.

Two minutes later, it was 2-0. Liam Kearney was given acres of room on the left to swing in a cross, which John O'Flynn met with a header which just about scrambled over the line despite Quigley's efforts.

Although UCD's defending was pretty poor - and was to get worse as the game wore on - they still posed a threat going forward, with Mick Devine punching clear a couple of corners under pressure before College did pull one back. Stephen Hurley put in a free kick from the left which Tony McDonnell met with a glancing header past Devine.

The remaining quarter of an hour was fairly even, with the goal giving the Students the confidence to get back into the game. And just before the break, they could well have been level, but Paul Whitmarsh fired wide from close range. However, two minutes after the restart, Liam Kearney went down very dramatically onat the corner of the box under a challenge from Mick O'Donnell, and a penalty was awarded. John O'Flynn converted with ease.

From then on, there was only one team in the match, as Cork repeatedly ran through the UCD defence with ease and 5-on-3 situations were all too common. Again, however, UCD were keen to give Cork a helping hand, and Neale Fenn made it 4-1 when his shot on the turn from the edge of the area was palmed into the net by Quigley when it looked easier to save.

A couple of minutes later, a rare tackle rebounded to John O'Flynn, lurking inside the area - he rounded Darren Quigley, but Alan McNally was back in time to clear off the line.

As the rain came down, more goals were inevitable. There was only one more in the end - a carbon copy of O'Flynn's earlier miss, only he had learnt his lesson from then and this time tucked the ball into the back of the net with ease.

All in all, a thoroughly depressing evening as UCD's fine recent run of form came to a rather emphatic end. The only positive is that it's as well a perforamance like this came against Cork rather than one of the teams in lower mid-table, while UCD will have a chance to get the game out of their systems as early as Monday, when they take on Waterford in the League Cup quarter-final.

UCD - Quigley; Kenna (Mahon), O'Donnell (Shortall), Lynch, McNally; McDonnell, Hurley (Sammon), Dicker, Martin; Whitmarsh, McWalter. Subs not used - Gallagher, Gannon

Att - 506

CollegeTillIDie
02/07/2005, 9:12 AM
Pretty fair assessment of a dismal evening for College.

Here's what www.rte.ie said about it. Very concise fortunately
Classy Cork overwhelm College
Friday, 01 July 2005 10:39

Cork City's Neale Fenn

John O'Flynn scored a hat-trick as Cork restored their six-point lead at the top of the table with their biggest win of the season in a 5-1 demolition of UCD.

Liam Kearney fired City in front on 21 minute before crossing for O'Flynn to head home the second two minutes later.

Tony McDonnell got a goal back for College on 30 minutes.

But O'Flynn struck again two minutes after the break from the penalty spot.

Neale Fenn added the fourth before setting up O'Flynn for his hat-trick on 76 minutes.

CollegeTillIDie
02/07/2005, 9:14 AM
It also speaks volumes for the Eircom League that a game involving the top team in the League can barely break the 500 barrier in terms of attendances.
I know a lot of the normal Cork travelling support were not there owing to saving there Euros for the Lithuania trip.

It seems a lot of our semi-regulars couldn't be arsed to attend last night ! :(
We got bigger gates than last night on a couple of occasions last season when we were still a First Division side!

Is summer soccer an overhyped product? Has it really improved attendances?
I have serious doubts that it has made any significant impact on the attendance front. When you factor in people on holidays in July and August, I honestly believe that a winter season with a short break at Christmas and slightly later finishing time would have achieved as much.

el tk
02/07/2005, 10:29 AM
Wow, I can't remember the last time the team got beaten so bad. I think the attendance thing hurts UCD more because there's a ready-made fanbase of what 25,000 people but they're not there for most of the season and I've never really seen an attempt by the club to advertise games or even its existence to the local populace.

Schumi
02/07/2005, 12:06 PM
A thoroughly depressing game. After Cork scored the penalty, our heads seemed to drop and it was just a question of how many we were going to concede at that stage.

Poor Student
02/07/2005, 1:25 PM
It could easily have been 6 or 7. I hope it's just a blip like the 3-2 game at Richmond a couple of months ago. Hopefully the defence will get a bit more solid with Mahon back. As well if we can get Murphy back the two of them will offer a lot more going down the right. I hope Dupuy or Byrne will be coming back in instead of Whitmarsh. Technically he doesn't look awful, just a million miles off the level and pace.

CollegeTillIDie
02/07/2005, 2:26 PM
UCD suffered their biggest defeat since 2001 and one of their biggest home defeats since joining the league as a combination of eleven UCD off days and some scintillating football from Cork City saw the visitors leave Belfield with a 5-1 win.

Despite the return of Alan Mahon to the squad, manager Pete Mahon made only one change from the side which had beaten Bray and Drogheda in recent weeks - Aidan Lynch replacing Brian Shortall in the centre of defence - while his counterpart Damien Richardson brought Liam Kearney back into the team as expected, with John O'Flynn - whose recent visits to Belfield Park have included a hat-trick and an injury afterthree minutes - partnering Neale Fenn up front.

Despite Cork being unbeaten in nine games compared to UCD's seven, much of the media had gone for a UCD win, or at worst, a tight draw. From the off, however, it was clear that UCD had left their footballing boots in the dressing room, and Cork should have been one up in side ten minutes when they had a three on one break, but the through ball to Fenn was too far behind. Shortly afterwards, Darren Quigley had to be at his best to turn a free from 20 yards around the post.

The breakthrough which had been threatened came midway through the half, but when it came, it was a hugely disappointing goal from UCD's point of view. A cross from the right should have been dealt with comfortably, but instead Lynch headed it straight downwards, where Liam Kearney was waiting to poke home from inside the six yard box.

Two minutes later, it was 2-0. Liam Kearney was given acres of room on the left to swing in a cross, which John O'Flynn met with a header which just about scrambled over the line despite Quigley's efforts.

Although UCD's defending was pretty poor - and was to get worse as the game wore on - they still posed a threat going forward, with Mick Devine punching clear a couple of corners under pressure before College did pull one back. Stephen Hurley put in a free kick from the left which Tony McDonnell met with a glancing header past Devine.

The remaining quarter of an hour was fairly even, with the goal giving the Students the confidence to get back into the game. And just before the break, they could well have been level, However, two minutes after the restart, Liam Kearney went down very dramatically onat the corner of the box under a challenge from Mick O'Donnell, and a penalty was awarded. John O'Flynn converted with ease.

From then on, there was only one team in the match, as Cork repeatedly ran through the UCD defence with ease and 5-on-3 situations were all too common. Again, however, UCD were keen to give Cork a helping hand, and Neale Fenn made it 4-1 when his shot on the turn from the edge of the area was palmed into the net by Quigley when it looked easier to save.

A couple of minutes later, a rare tackle rebounded to John O'Flynn, lurking inside the area - he rounded Darren Quigley, but Alan McNally was back in time to clear off the line.

As the rain came down, more goals were inevitable. There was only one more in the end - a carbon copy of O'Flynn's earlier miss, only he had learnt his lesson from then and this time tucked the ball into the back of the net with ease.

All in all, a thoroughly depressing evening as UCD's fine recent run of form came to a rather emphatic end. The only positive is that it's as well a perforamance like this came against Cork rather than one of the teams in lower mid-table, while UCD will have a chance to get the game out of their systems as early as Monday, when they take on Waterford in the League Cup quarter-final.

UCD - Quigley; Kenna (Mahon), O'Donnell (Shortall), Lynch, McNally; McDonnell, Hurley (Sammon), Dicker, Martin; Whitmarsh, McWalter. Subs not used - Gallagher, Gannon

Att - 506

Correction... Derek Doyle was the unused sub not Newguy

Colie
02/07/2005, 2:39 PM
That was so embarrasing. Harpo's (?) entrance was the highlight of the night for me........ :D

Wow, I can't remember the last time the team got beaten so bad. I think the attendance thing hurts UCD more because there's a ready-made fanbase of what 25,000 people but they're not there for most of the season and I've never really seen an attempt by the club to advertise games or even its existence to the local populace.
We've been here so many times I don't think we should even bother anymore. They all like Rugby!

Poor Student
02/07/2005, 2:41 PM
That was so embarrasing. Harpo's (?) entrance was the highlight og the night for me........ :D

The least you could have done was repaid him by waving the damn flag. ;)

Colie
02/07/2005, 2:52 PM
The least you could have done was repaid him by waving the damn flag. ;)

Maybe if he'd been there from the start with the flags we could have got a draw. I blame him for being so late.

CollegeTillIDie
02/07/2005, 8:10 PM
Maybe if he'd been there from the start with the flags we could have got a draw. I blame him for being so late.

Another supporter more interested in the pub than in football lately :rolleyes: