PDA

View Full Version : A lot of ghosts laid to rest tonight in Belfield

Counting Crow
01/07/2005, 11:18 PM
As the heading suggests, this has been a magnificent night in more ways than one.

1) 3 more points - magnificent.

2) Shels loose - what can I say?

3) Another away win - unreal away form, something others only dream of.

4) 5 goals away from home (come to think of it, anywhere...!) - dreamland.

5) Flynny scores another hatrick - he's back and with a bang.

6) "The knee injury" is a thing of the past - it must have been sweet for John.

7) The ghost of last season's FAI Cup - banished to oblivium.

8) Bogey Team - "you're havin' a laugh"

9) Kearney's first goal of the season - first of many plus he's back from injury.

10) Fenn scores again - is he on fire or what, a new man!

I could keep going ..............please add to the list as you feel like ;) :D

superfrank
01/07/2005, 11:24 PM
11. Yez ended UCD's unbeaten run. :D :D :D Thank You. ;)

kevincronin2000
01/07/2005, 11:52 PM
just back from the game, what can i say, people might say ucd were rubish but in truth city were magnificent, georgie, fenn and o'flynn were magic even ucd fans were saying it, if there was ever a better display of skill, passion and determinaion in a game of football on this island it most of come before 1975 because i have never wittnesses an exebition of football like i saw in belfield (on a pitch that was only ok) in all my life.

harry crumb
02/07/2005, 12:00 AM
Most of all is that this is where John suffured that knee injury initially 2 years ago.

That day John went off and Doyle came on and he got he equaliser to make it 1-1. From that day Doyle went on to become the best striker in the league. In a way he has taken a lot of Flynnys thunder. Hopefully this will be start of an injury free season with a league medal at the end.:-)

Counting Crow
02/07/2005, 8:54 AM
Was listening tothe game on the radio and Eoin Hand made a very good point about Flynny. He said after watching him against Longford last week "he still looked a step off the pace but tonight we are seeing the John O'Flynn of 2 years ago, back to his best for pace and sharpness"

How fitting that this should happen at Bellfield, the venue where it all went SO wrong 18 months ago.

God help the rest of the defenders around the country when they read this mornings papers and hear that "He's back".

A few sleepless nights ahead for Mr Heary, Hawkins, Rogers, Breen et all methinks ;)

patsh
02/07/2005, 9:11 AM

A few sleepless nights ahead for Mr Heary, Hawkins, Rogers, Breen et all methinks ;)
George is already inside their heads, now they have to cope with Flynnie being in there too!:D

Counting Crow
02/07/2005, 9:21 AM
George is already inside their heads, now they have to cope with Flynnie being in there too!:D

Should be no problem for Georgie or Flynny doing this patsh, as Heary's, Rogers, Byrne's heads etc were big enough to begin with anyway.

Room for Fenn, Kearney, Gamble and a few more I reckon. :D

ccfcgirl
02/07/2005, 10:04 AM
NUMBER 12 George signs a new cotract and gives another masterfull display in midfield
Number 13 Nearly half way through the Season and City are still in the hunt for a league and cup treble and we also have a European adventure to look forward to .

Troy.McClure
03/07/2005, 11:04 AM
Just wanted to mention Neal Fenn's goal; QUALITY! I hope the tv cameras got it propperly... actually, they were all great goals! :)

One of the best City displays Ive ever seen, it could even have been 8! :eek:

Hecko
03/07/2005, 11:17 AM
Gamble was outstanding - masterful display in midfield

Fenn was class in everything he did - he'll never beat anyone with pace or running, but fully fit (at last!) his first touch is at a different level to almost everyone in the league...except for

George - the old fault you could have with George is that he tries to do too much at times, but no complaints on that. He is teh best player in teh league at the moment AND

Kearney - he didn't get as much ball as he should be but scored the first and made the next two. He's our biggest threat IMO

Flynn - Hes' getting stronger every week. His third was JOF at his best.

Behan back is the icing on the cake. Can't wait to see him and John together up front alternating with Flynn/Fenn.

Doesn't get any better...

kevincronin2000
03/07/2005, 12:08 PM
i dont know if anyone noticed in belfield the other night how competitve there warm up thingy was, you know the game where they take one touch and pass, they were giving out like hell if passes were going astray and there were tackling hard aswell, they were really fired up for the ucd game. Me also thinks Hilly is a great addition to the coaching team.

Troy.McClure
03/07/2005, 12:22 PM
Me also thinks Hilly is a great addition to the coaching team.
Hilly in, conceeding goals out

I think the backroom staff have to take a lot of credit, especially for that result but also for the performances this season. We could really have been put back a few steps this year but Rico et al have been great. He often speeks of being profesional, not just full time, and I think that performance was what it was all about. We had the game won in the 2nd min of the 2nd half with the penno but we kept attacking and never let them back in it. Even when Behan came on with 2 min to go, he was put on to get a goal and he gave it everything. I dont think that it mattered too much who we played on Friday, we would have trashed them anyway.

Some night all the players are going to click, instead fo having 8 or 9 on 100% and the rest on 60 or 70%, and we are going to devistate the other team Well, that was Friday night in Belfield. Hopefully it will happen soon again :)