PDA

View Full Version : Bands Worth A Listen?

Flea
01/07/2005, 10:51 PM
Does anyone one know of seriously good music of modern times of a particular band? Not any of this lame assed Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Part and co. stuff. By serious I mean bands such as the Doves, the Mars Volta and the Kings of Leon....

Dublin12
02/07/2005, 9:03 AM
Nine Black Alps are worth checking out,along the lines of Nirvana.

Frank Blue
02/07/2005, 9:54 AM
Both albums by Interpol are pretty good. In some ways they sound heavily influenced by Joy Division, but not quite as dark and dreary.
Funeral by the Arcade Fire is a must. Very different to most stuff that is out there and has been compared to the Talking Heads, Björk and others.
Elbow are also brilliant. Could be difficult to get into, but worth a few oplays as I am sure it will grow on many people. Cast of Thousands, their last album, is probably the better of the 2 to start with. their new album is due out within the next couple of months.

For pure fun, the Killers "Hot Fuss". Many have tried this 80's sound and failed, eg the Bravery (truly forgettable), but Brandon Flowers and his merry band have pulled off one stonker of an album.

sylvo
02/07/2005, 10:26 AM
El Presedenti are well worth a listen remind me a bit of Janes addiction, latest song is a cracker. I also go along with Interpol.

Sadly most radio stations just seem to think alternative and indie music just means playing Keane and Snow Patrol (ourweeminds favourite band for some reason ;) over and over again, both of which I think are a load of bland sounding b@llocks.

Go along also with Hot Fuss by the Killers.

CollegeTillIDie
02/07/2005, 2:53 PM
Ok what is the name of that Snow Patrol song that has the bit that has the girl vocalist going.... Mmmm mmmmmm mmmm mmm mmmm mmm mmm ?

CollegeTillIDie
02/07/2005, 3:09 PM
No CTD was a bloke with a bass voice going Mm Mm Mm Mm Mm
You need to know your Mms from your Mmmms

ali2005
02/07/2005, 6:42 PM
The Killers have been excellent this year. Foo Fighters new songs are very good also.

jofyisgod
02/07/2005, 8:03 PM
Does anyone one know of seriously good music of modern times of a particular band? Not any of this lame assed Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Part and co. stuff. By serious I mean bands such as the Doves, the Mars Volta and the Kings of Leon....

Oh God another music fascist on Foot.ie...

How can you call Doves a band and not Bloc Party? Hmmm? :o

I recently discovered the joy of Radiohead so i need not other music ;) , but as someone else said Interpol or El Presidenti are good.

Flea
03/07/2005, 1:48 PM
Oh God another music fascist on Foot.ie...

How can you call Doves a band and not Bloc Party? Hmmm? :o

I recently discovered the joy of Radiohead so i need not other music ;) , but as someone else said Interpol or El Presidenti are good.

Yeah well I liked the Last Broadcast. I loved Bloc Party about a month ago but now they just seem childish, the screeching guitar and irritating vocals and lyrics. 6They do have a great rhythm section though possibly the best around at the moment. I know Interpol are good and I haven't heard of El Presidenti (what do they sound like?) but what I mean is what are the next big thing?

jofyisgod
03/07/2005, 3:47 PM
?) but what I mean is what are the next big thing?
Commercially, a band called Hard-Fi from Staines, whose album's out on Monday, are gonna be huge.

tetsujin1979
04/07/2005, 9:15 AM
A from England aren't too bad, last album was decent enough, worth a listen, sort of Offspring-ish, and new album is out soon, website here - http://www.a-communication.com/intro.php

Nada Surf
04/07/2005, 12:52 PM
Try Oneida http://www.enemyhogs.com/site/news
or British Sea Power http://www.britishseapower.co.uk/index.htm

Iorfa
04/07/2005, 1:52 PM
Driveshaft

here (http://www.driveshaftband.com/)

Baker
04/07/2005, 2:18 PM
Can anyone recommend a band thats not too well known and playing Oxegen this weekend?

anto1208
04/07/2005, 3:02 PM
at oxygen
bright eyes :defo see this band
hal : very good
magic numbers: stole glastonbury
mylo : dance but actually sounds like he made an effort to write the songs !!

they are the four im going to make sure i see anyway

Babysis
04/07/2005, 3:28 PM

100% - really like them. They are playing a gig in Kings cross end of July :)

jofyisgod
04/07/2005, 3:29 PM
at oxygen
bright eyes :defo see this band
hal : very good
mylo : dance but actually sounds like he made an effort to write the songs !!

they are the four im going to make sure i see anyway

HAL are great, as are the Magic Numbers. Interesting combo of people in it, 2 sets of brother and sister, create great harmonies.

Mylo is also very different and a class act.

Gerrit
04/07/2005, 8:24 PM
Modern music is not my thing at all. Check out some Echo & The Bunnymen :cool:

There seems to be a very good song by some nude blue-skinned frog these days though I've heard :rolleyes:

Thomo
04/07/2005, 10:24 PM
the subways are a must!

Drumcondra Red
05/07/2005, 7:59 AM
Stay as far away from Echo & The Bunnymen as possible, try here (http://www.jaded-sun.com)

Neish
05/07/2005, 10:19 AM
Been listening to The Bravery a lot lately great album

Lionel Ritchie
05/07/2005, 11:27 AM
Been listening to The Bravery a lot lately great album
...got to be kidding.
Thinly veiled cover versions of Duran Duran songs by a bunch of camp ponce rockers who look like they're on their way to a fancy dress party done up as the sad, sad gob****es in the 1986 wella hair gel ads.

jofyisgod
05/07/2005, 3:35 PM
...got to be kidding.
Thinly veiled cover versions of Duran Duran songs by a bunch of camp ponce rockers who look like they're on their way to a fancy dress party done up as the sad, sad gob****es in the 1986 wella hair gel ads.

Second that-that album is distinctly average.

Corky
05/07/2005, 4:16 PM
'Editors' are well worth a listen, no album yet (far as i know) but you can check out some of their stuff here http://www.editorsmusic.co.uk/ (http://)
They are definitely playing Oxegen.

Lionel Ritchie
05/07/2005, 4:26 PM
Windings from my very own home town Limerick are/is a class act. Windings is the alter ego of Giveamanakick mainman Steve Ryan. The LP is spectacular ...and just in case Giveamanakicks noise-core screechtastic racket aint your thing Windings is a completely different kettle o'fish.

http://www.windingswindings.com/

Flea
05/07/2005, 11:43 PM
The Departure seem pretty nifty but I dont know what their album is called, their singer sounds like hes going to die from boredom which is really cool

Ambaiste!
06/07/2005, 12:17 AM
Check out the Dead Sixties, not sure if they have an album out yet, but the singles are tasty.
Also, although they've been round for a while, the Beta Band are still coming out with some good tunes. The Three EP's is a classic, their newer stuff is going down a more electronic road, but still an original sound and solid songs. Great to chill out to :cool:

The Good Son
06/07/2005, 6:50 AM
Sadly The Beta Band are no more, they broke up after the last tour.

TonyD
07/07/2005, 9:51 PM
Can anyone recommend a band thats not too well known and playing Oxegen this weekend?

I think Kaiserchiefs are playing Oxygen. Judging by their performance on Glastonbury and Live 8 they should be well worth a look. Best band I've discovered recently are a band that are sadly now broken up, Guided by Voices. They have a compilation Cd called Human Amusements at Hourly Rates thats got some great stuff on it. Guitar Pop, in a sort of "Big Star" vein.

ken foree
12/07/2005, 7:03 PM
didn't expect to see a band like oneida getting a mention on foot.ie, heard some of their stuff and it's good. animal collective and comets on fire are both mindblowing bands for me at present, for very different reasons. lcd soundsystem's album was a nice one too.

superfrank
13/07/2005, 9:58 AM
Royksopp are really good. It's dance music but it's really calm and relaxing.

Lionel Ritchie
21/07/2005, 10:59 AM
Mentioned Windings before.

fellow Limerickman and one half of thrash/hardcore outfit Giveamanakick doing his solo thing which is pretty far removed from GAMAK stuff. LP is great. reminds me of Grandaddy in places though without the Neil Young-ish vocals Grandaddy have.

Rising artist of the week on Today FMs Pet Sounds. have a listen ...
http://www.todayfm.com/Article.asp?id=61197

Beavis
21/07/2005, 6:47 PM
Not any of this lame assed Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Part and co. stuff. By serious I mean bands such as the Doves, the Mars Volta and the Kings of Leon....

I loved Bloc Party about a month ago but now they just seem childish, the screeching guitar and irritating vocals and lyrics

How do you go from loving a band to hating them in a month without the release of any new material ?Sad . This is an issue of image. They have become too mainstream and you need to distance yourself and find less reknowned bands to remain a nonconformist (and therefore superior) indie fan. :rolleyes:

Re The Bravery. A decent easy listen but never going to tear the house down.

Baker
21/07/2005, 7:18 PM
Royksopp are really good. It's dance music but it's really calm and relaxing.

Theyre a great live act. Saw them at oxegen a few years back and they were fantastic. For anyone going to the Electric Picnic in September I'd recommend you check them out.

noby
22/07/2005, 7:42 AM
Theyre a great live act. Saw them at oxegen a few years back and they were fantastic. For anyone going to the Electric Picnic in September I'd recommend you check them out.

They're the new 'Air' when it comes to background music in holiday programs. I only have one of their albums (have they more?) and it is quite good.

re. Electric Picnic, I can't make it, but I would urge everyone to go see Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds on the Sunday night. Saw him a couple of weeks ago in the show grounds in Cork. An excellent gig. Was billed as a solo, but he had half the bad seeds with him. If they can be that intense with a violin, piano, bass and drums, I'd love to hear the full-on band. Plus Mercury Rev are playing. Damn it, I really should go.

Also, I have to agree with Beavis: it seems your motivations are to be into the next big thing before everyone else is. In that case, just buy the NME

superfrank
22/07/2005, 12:57 PM
They're the new 'Air' when it comes to background music in holiday programs. I only have one of their albums (have they more?) and it is quite good.
They have a new album out, I saw it the other day in Music City. I think it's called The Understanding.

Melody A.M. is a deadly album. They have really diverse influences.

ken foree
22/07/2005, 2:08 PM
new brian eno album (another day on earth) is good, bowie and i think fripp help him on it.