PDA

View Full Version : Unfulfilled Expectations

Stuttgart88
01/07/2005, 8:54 AM
It feels like there have been quite a lot of players recently who have promised so much but, for whatever reason, just haven't turned into what we'd hoped.

In the last 2 or 3 seasons alone we've had the following disappointments:

Richard Sadlier - injury
Sean Thornton - p1ss head
Liam Miller - badly advised move
John O'Shea - lack of confidence? Not good enough for MUFC?
Steven Reid - injury / crap manager in Souness
Colin Healy - injury
Thomas Butler - went mad
Paul Tierney - never even made the first team despite all our hype
Graham Barrett - scored on his Irish debut
Joe Murphy - Not good enough? Great start at Anfield but then...
Alan Lee - 15 goals in one season in Div 1 but nothing since
John Thompson - great year at Forest when they nearly went up. Nothing since.

All but Tierney & Thornton have senior caps.

Who else is there?

There's also a whole load of players who have figured in the Irish underage sides who have been released or dropped down to the basement divisions to play.

Personally I still think O'Shea, Miller & Reid could come good. Less so Thornton despite all his talent. Healy - who knows?

tetsujin1979
01/07/2005, 9:40 AM
Personally I still think O'Shea, Miller & Reid could come good. Less so Thornton despite all his talent. Healy - who knows?

Ferguson said yesterday that the future of Man United was going to be built around Rooney, Ronaldo, Fletcher (??) and O'Shea. While it is encouraging to see O'Shea mentioned in that list, you'd wonder why the likes of Smith or Ferdinand did not merit a mention, and also the glaring omission of Miller.

You could add Richie Partridge and Stephen Bradley to that list too Stuttgart.

elroy
01/07/2005, 10:05 AM
Ferguson said yesterday that the future of Man United was going to be built around Rooney, Ronaldo, Fletcher (??) and O'Shea. While it is encouraging to see O'Shea mentioned in that list, you'd wonder why the likes of Smith or Ferdinand did not merit a mention, and also the glaring omission of Miller.

You could add Richie Partridge and Stephen Bradley to that list too Stuttgart.

Miller hasnt turned into a bad player overnight, he has produced MOM performances in the CL so he's got the talent. Would love to see him go on loan somewhere decent, rebuild his confidence etc.
Steven Reid will be a big player for Blackburn next season if he can stay injury free.
Barrett, Murphy, Lee-I dont think they ever showed us the sort of class to expect them to reach the top, I think they are good lower league players and thats it.
It will be interesting to show how Healy returns from injury but I wouldnt be optimistic, also Partridge needs to get first team action somewhere quick or its curtains for him too.
For me the biggest disappointment is McPhail, he was a crucial player for leeds when they were challenging in the EPL and CL, showing vital goals (distinctly remember 2 against chelsea) unfortunately he seems to have fallen off a cliff.

SaucyJack
01/07/2005, 12:05 PM
you could throw in Alan Mahon,,,,,

brine3
01/07/2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah, Stephen McPhail, he was bloody fantastic that one season for Leeds before his legs collapsed. It's a pity Mick didn't utilise him enough as he was setting the Premiership alight at the time. For about 18 months he looked like a young Liam Brady.

beautifulrock
01/07/2005, 12:17 PM
Alan Quinn, Michael Reddy, had high hopes for both of them

gustavo
01/07/2005, 12:19 PM
ger crossley anyone?

tetsujin1979
01/07/2005, 12:21 PM
Alan Quinn, Michael Reddy, had high hopes for both of them

Agree with you on Reddy, but Quinn hasn't done too badly for himself.

pineapple stu
01/07/2005, 12:38 PM
A lot from the U-16 and U-18 European Championship winning teams, I suppose. Some have made it, but then there's the likes of Liam George, Kevin Grogan, Daryl McMahon, David Freeman, etc. Also a couple from the U-20s - Barry Quinn, Ger Crossley as mentioned, Robbie Ryan, Neale Fenn, etc.

beautifulrock
01/07/2005, 12:38 PM
Agree with you on Reddy, but Quinn hasn't done too badly for himself.

True, but would prefer if he was still playing in the premiership.

elroy
01/07/2005, 3:15 PM
you could throw in Alan Mahon,,,,,
Isnt Mahon with Wigan now-as far as I know he was in first team for most of the season too so we may see him in the premiership next year

SaucyJack
01/07/2005, 3:36 PM
will also throw in Keith Andrews....at one point at Wolves, he got the "Roy Keane-esque" tag, think he's with Bury or Preston now.....also John Burns at Forest in the mid-90's got that tag and dissapeared altogether from Forest and lets not forget Keith Foy....and Rory Ginty at Palace...

gustavo
01/07/2005, 3:46 PM
dunno if he was mentioned but sean malee

Qwerty
02/07/2005, 3:58 PM
will also throw in Keith Andrews....at one point at Wolves, he got the "Roy Keane-esque" tag, think he's with Bury or Preston now.....also John Burns at Forest in the mid-90's got that tag and dissapeared altogether from Forest and lets not forget Keith Foy....and Rory Ginty at Palace...

Andrews has moved to Hull which is a good move for him, he has done quite well on loan at a few Championship sides - he is certainly good enough at that level but looks to be a bit short of top flight quality.

All the Irish kids are 'highly rated' which has become such a meaningless phrase, unless you regularly watch reserve games you have no idea of how they really are or what level of professionalism they have. It's tough at the top, you have maybe 1 or 2 seasons to make the grade before you are replaced with the next crop of 'highly rated' hopefuls.

The attrition rates are to be expected, it all a matter of numbers. I'm surprised we don't see more kids go the route of Foy and ( too early to say perhaps ) Thornton. They have the technical ability but just lack the attitude.

superfrank
02/07/2005, 4:04 PM
Thomas Butler - went mad
:confused:
What did he do?

jjppc
02/07/2005, 7:36 PM
Sean Byrne At West Ham seems to have disappeared

pineapple stu
02/07/2005, 9:04 PM
Byrne was at Dublin City last year! :eek: Left after a few games - anyone know where he went to after that?

tetsujin1979
03/07/2005, 1:19 AM
:confused:
What did he do?
Picked up a knee injury while at Sunderland, ran into family issues, left the club, nearly gave up football at one point. He's at Hartlepool at the moment, played in the play offs. Some lower league football might give him some time to recover and become the player he was showing all the signs of becoming.

A mate of mine from home, Brian O'Callaghan, who was in the team when they won the European Championships, has just signed a one year deal with Notts County.

OwlsFan
03/07/2005, 2:37 PM
Andy Turner once of Spurs - a shooting star in the firmament except it didn't give off much light. One of my friends swore he would be the man one day :(

Qwerty
07/07/2005, 9:59 PM
You could add to the list Gareth Farrelly and Jason Gavin - these guy played quite a few times for Permiership clubs, Farrelly even scored the goal that kept Everton up. Somehow neither could hack it in the Championship and ended up in the the eL. What happened? neither player was great but if they were as ordinary as their careers now seem to suggest, why did Everton and 'Boro keep them so long?

The reality I suppose is that few players really make it, so maybe it is more like 'unfulfilled unrealistic expectations'!

sligoman
08/07/2005, 12:23 AM
Mark Rossiter should be there too. Moving form Sunderland to Finn Harps is a bit of a come down in fairness. Although to be fair he was released by them cos he was plagued with injuries :(

carnstien
08/07/2005, 9:46 AM
I can definately see O'Shea and Healy coming good, they both seem to have what it takes in all departments, maybe even an Irish central midfield partnership of the futre there? It would certainly beat Kinsella and Holland!

Stephen Reid in my opinion just doesn't have the talent to play in midfield although I could see him being a someway decent right back. He is an ordinary player and ordinary players generally look more comfortable in corner back positions.

Miller has all the talent in the world but he lacks physical and mental strenght which is why I don't see him making it at international level.

tetsujin1979
08/07/2005, 9:58 AM
I can definately see O'Shea and Healy coming good, they both seem to have what it takes in all departments, maybe even an Irish central midfield partnership of the futre there? It would certainly beat Kinsella and Holland!

Stephen Reid in my opinion just doesn't have the talent to play in midfield although I could see him being a someway decent right back. He is an ordinary player and ordinary players generally look more comfortable in corner back positions.

Miller has all the talent in the world but he lacks physical and mental strenght which is why I don't see him making it at international level.

Reid played right full early in his Rovers career and wasn't any great shakes at it. Hughes seems to have settled him on the right side of central midfield and I'd excpect him to still be there at the start of next season.

Lionel Ritchie
08/07/2005, 10:03 AM
and Stephen McPhail. Also, perhaps, James O'Connor and Gary Doherty, in the sense that their careers appear to have gone downhill.

desperate pity with McPhail. I remember he was being tipped in the UK press (as opposed to ours) as the most exciting young player to emerge in Britain since Gascoigne.

ciaran76
08/07/2005, 10:21 AM
You could add to the list Gareth Farrelly and Jason Gavin - these guy played quite a few times for Permiership clubs, Farrelly even scored the goal that kept Everton up. Somehow neither could hack it in the Championship and ended up in the the eL. What happened? neither player was great but if they were as ordinary as their careers now seem to suggest, why did Everton and 'Boro keep them so long?

The reality I suppose is that few players really make it, so maybe it is more like 'unfulfilled unrealistic expectations'!

Farrelly was very injury prone which didn't help his cause at all.Everton didn't keep him for long at all. I seem to remember him going to Bolton then Wigan i think and now player manager at Bohs.

Jasin Gavin is still playing in Scotland i think.

pineapple stu
08/07/2005, 12:53 PM
Jason Gavin is still playing in Scotland i think.
He's with Shamrock Rovers! How'd you miss that?! :p

Looks like he's heading for Hartlepool next month though.

Thomo
09/07/2005, 12:41 AM
Stephen McPhail-ure as i saw him dubbed at least once by the british press

Eirambler
09/07/2005, 3:25 PM
Henry McStay was another that I had high hopes for. On trial at Aberdeen at the moment. Hope he wins a contract.

youngirish
10/07/2005, 2:19 AM
Others include Mark Kennedy and Phil Babb.

People generally forget there were high hopes for Babb after Paul McGrath made him look good in the 1994 WC but Mc Grath could make Paul Butler look good.

Kennedy was never good enough for the top despite the amount Liverpool paid Millwall for him as a teenager.

They were both good at jumping on cars though.

monutdfc
11/07/2005, 12:43 PM
I've always maintained McPahil isn't suited for English football. If he moved to Spain he could be a star, a la Vinny Samways. Both similar players in style.

sadloserkid
13/07/2005, 1:14 PM
Mark Rossiter should be there too. Moving form Sunderland to Finn Harps is a bit of a come down in fairness. Although to be fair he was released by them cos he was plagued with injuries :(

Are both Rossiter brothers at Finn Park now then? Or is (as I suspect) Ian the brother currently playing with Harps? And if so what's happened to Mark (I currently have him on loan in Championship Manager 03/04 as I storm towards the Conference title with the mighty Exeter City (my team is currently reading like a who's who of unfulfilled expectations also including Danny Murphy, Warren Kenna, Sean Devine, Kwame Ampadu, Renier Moor and Andy Myler!)

CraftyToePoke
13/07/2005, 3:16 PM
at my local dr. martens league team,stamford town,in the last couple of seasons,i've seen andy turner playing for banbury or burnham (cant remember which),and renier moor lining out for team bath,and niall inman(who i think was part of kerrs side who made the semis of the world youth championships),lining out for grantham town,and hes no longer even at grantham,the last i heard was that he was at eastwood town,a couple of divisions further down.

and none stood out in any way when i saw them,a sure sign that potential doesnt guarantee a thing.