PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit anyone?

sligoman
30/06/2005, 7:00 PM
What's up Doc (http://www.funnies.com/cp9.htm)

Look at the size of him :eek: :D

brendy_éire
30/06/2005, 9:50 PM
There's some good eating in that.

hamish
30/06/2005, 10:38 PM
There's some good eating in that.

Hare Hare!! to that.

Getting coat........

gustavo
01/07/2005, 12:13 PM
it really bugs me that ye think ye could get away with a hare brained scheme like eating that poor rabbit .

Drumcondra Red
01/07/2005, 2:08 PM
Hare Hare!! to that.

Getting coat........

Hamish, it seems to me that you should just permenantly wear your coat!!! :D

Peadar
01/07/2005, 2:27 PM
Hamish, it seems to me that you should just permenantly wear your coat!!! :D

He does, with nothing underneath! :eek: :D

paul_oshea
01/07/2005, 2:34 PM
what is the actual difference between a hare and a rabbit? im asking btw its not a joke, i know size wise etc, and where does teh term bunny come from, their tail is it? that waabbit looks more like a hare than a rabbit.

fosterdollar
01/07/2005, 2:37 PM
This is a very good question because most people often confuse rabbits and hares, but they are very different in several ways. Hares are generally larger, and have longer hind legs and longer ears than rabbits. When hares are born, they have a full coat of fur and their eyes are open. Their mothers either drop them on the bare ground at birth or into a slight depression in the ground. A young hare is called a leveret.

Rabbits, on the other hand, are more compact. Their young, called bunnies, are born hairless and blind. The mother rabbit lines a nest with grass, bark and soft stems. Over this, she places a layer of hair that she plucks from her own body. When she leaves the nest, she covers the bunnies with more hair and dead plants to keep them warm and hidden from enemies.

Rabbits and hares both molt and then grow new hair. This happens in both the spring and in the fall. Rabbits' brown summer fur is replaced with fur that is greyer. Hares, especially those living in cold, snowy regions, turn white in the winter.

Rabbits and hares are more active during the dark hours from dawn to dusk. Rabbits hide in either burrows or depressions in the ground during daylight hours. They try to keep hidden. Hares hide among plants and usually try to escape enemies by running.

Rabbits are often found together. Male rabbits even fight within a group to become the dominant male. The dominant male rabbit then mates with most of the females in the area. Hares live most of the time by themselves. They come together in pairs for mating only. There is little or no fighting among hares. They just pair off. The link below provided the information on rabbits and hares.

From click (http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec99/946002744.Zo.r.html)

Macy
01/07/2005, 2:47 PM
You snared him with that answer Magoo...

fosterdollar
01/07/2005, 2:48 PM
...rascally f**ker deserved it.

paul_oshea
01/07/2005, 2:57 PM
Hares hide among plants and usually try to escape enemies by running.

too fooken true, i nearly died of a heart attack only for im young i would be dead, i was coming down some fields for a walk and i went into long rushy grass, then all of a sudden this thing comes out of nowhere and bangs straight into me at some force and legs it again, i havent had such a fright in such a long time.

ive also noticed i never see many hares together, and i dont think there are half as many as there used to be. same as foxes used to see loads but now you enver see any and if you do, they are always singular.

fosterdollar
01/07/2005, 3:02 PM
ive also noticed i never see many hares together, and i dont think there are half as many as there used to be. same as foxes used to see loads but now you enver see any and if you do, they are always singular.

It says above:
Hares live most of the time by themselves

Rabbits are a plague on nearly every driving range in the country. I still see plenty of hares down at home. See way more foxes in dublin than in longford. Apparently they're loving the city life. They'll be going round in pink t-shirts next :eek:

Marlay Park is full of all of the above along with squirrels and numerous types of birds, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure Phoenix Park is the same.

paul_oshea
01/07/2005, 3:07 PM
They'll be going round in pink t-shirts next

LOL, always thought foxes were a cut above all the other wildlife of the irish countryside to be honest :cool:

well metro!!!

the 12 th man
01/07/2005, 3:40 PM
What's up Doc (http://www.funnies.com/cp9.htm)

click on the next funny pet picture........ :cool:

hamish
01/07/2005, 5:58 PM
There were two rabbits living in a burrow in the corner of my back lawn - used to throw them a carrot or two every day and they'd devour them. Haven't seen them for ages - must have moved.

Peadar -you're getting worse and worse - why are always slagging poor old Hamish, Corky Boy??? :confused: