PDA

View Full Version : 2Pac

superfrank
29/06/2005, 10:15 PM
Anybody out there even like him?

Now I'm into rap/hip hop in a big way and he's a good rapper but I never liked his music. What annoys me most about him though is every year a new album of unreleased stuff comes out.

You'd think if it went unreleased during his lifetime mwybe he didnt want it to be released at all? :mad: And when these albums come out everyone raves about what agenius he was and all. Let's face it, he didn't have an awful long career, about five-six years, before he died. And now that he's dead why can't he be left alone? :confused: You don't get unreleased stuff by Frank Sinatra or Marvin Gaye coming out every year so why somweone whose career was shorter?

I must be the only one who doesn't like him.

RO :mad:

Bosco
29/06/2005, 10:26 PM
Think the release of albums every year may have something to do with his mother having control of all his unrealeased music.On the one hand shes obvously very proud of her son and wants people to hear his music but of course on the other hand the money shes making alot of money out of it.He may not have had a very long career but his life was cut short and if it wasnt he'd probably be still around today.In the last year of his life he recorded a ridiculous amount of music

Neish
29/06/2005, 10:27 PM
I do like 2pac, but agree with you about the constant releasing on his unrealeased material. Obivoulsy 2pac didn't deem it good enough to realease whisst he was alive

Gerrit
30/06/2005, 7:38 AM
Not an R&B and HipHop fan myself, and 2Pac is IMO pretty worthless. If he weren't shot many people iconising him now would not have given a damn, and it's scary to see some turn his criminal past into something heroic.

We're walking the same path again now with 50Cent, I heard teenagers saying -exact words- how respectful it was he sings on after his 9 bullet strikes. No one of them seems to think of the fact that he should have not gotten those shots in the first place if he'd behaved better...

2Pac ? Nah. Almost every song I heard of him irritated me, and I do not like his image. Too bad a human life has gone lost, but musically spoken not a big loss. (and don't misread this ; of course I'd have rather seen him withdraw from music and take on a real job instead of the poor man being shot)

anto1208
30/06/2005, 9:37 AM
gerrit you couldnt be more wrong about tupac he never glorifies his criminal past , he explains that he had to do it to survive ( no father a mother addicted to crack no income he had to sell drugs to feed himself ) its not something he was ever proud of.true rapping is story telling and he used his own life to rap about .

comparing him to 50 cent is like comparing bob dylan to richie kavanagh , 50 "raps" if you can call it that about ho's cars money and getting shot 9 times , pac allthough does sometime rap about that stuff but for different reasons ,normally raps about women s rights about justice in the world about politics .
a common miconception about him is over his tattoo thug life which politicians say means he glorifies living like a thug , but it stands for :The Hate U Give Little Infants F**ks Everyone .
and basically means if you are nice to kids and encorage them they will grow up to be good honest people if you knock them about and put them down they will grow up to be scum bags . which is pretty true .

tupac before he was shot put everything in his mothers name to she would be ok , he also started a project to build a school for performing art students from disadvantaged backgrounds , all cds released now the money goes to this fund not just to his ma, bar the releases from death row records which own the rights to some of his stuff .this comp is owned by suge knight the main susspect in tupacs killing .because he owed pac millions and he was planning on leaving death row a few weeks before getting shot , ( on ther night suge told him not to wear his bullet proof vest plus a pile more i dont have time to get into ) .

he has over 500 songs recorded ( vocals not finished songs ) the new stuff is someone else interpetation of what he wanted ( new album is produced by slim shady ) and not the way he wanted it so i tend not to buy it plus a lot he wouldnt have released becuase its just not that good .

paul_oshea
30/06/2005, 9:59 AM
in fairness im not into rap, but i have an open mind when it comes to music, unlike most people who say they do but still wouldnt ilke most stuff, anyhow two songs worth checking out ( before you brand him as a rapper and crap ) for pure emotion and rawness are:

hit em up and part time mutha, two great songs. his use of aliteration in hit em is quality. a lot of cursing etc, but still its raw raw emotion at its best.

anto1208
30/06/2005, 10:06 AM
ill add about him em up that its not just an other rappers slagging each other song , a few weeks before pac was shot 5 times and robbed ( 40,000 worth of jewlery)by the new york rappers he has a go at biggy, puffy , mob deep etc .

if ye do want to give him a go start with the greatest hits it covers most of his carrer ,
but if ye really want to give him ago get me against the world one of the best albums in any genre or all eyes on me

paul_oshea
30/06/2005, 10:06 AM
but it stands for :The Hate U Give Little Infants F**ks Everyone .

i dont really know how true that is, or the rest to be honest, sounds like a lot of conspiracy theories to me.. but one part is right, 2pac hadnt a contract as such, which was naive whatever one tries to say about being about the music and loyal etc, fat lot of good that did him, he was just given money by suge knight any time he needed it...

the one thing you do find in his music is that as he god older his lyrics werent nearly as inciteful, they were more about his background and why is he is the way he is....or was as the case may be.

anto1208
30/06/2005, 10:11 AM
i dont really know how true that is, or the rest to be honest, sounds like a lot of conspiracy theories to me.. but one part is right, 2pac hadnt a contract as such, which was naive whatever one tries to say about being about the music and loyal etc, fat lot of good that did him, he was just given money by suge knight any time he needed it...

the one thing you do find in his music is that as he god older his lyrics werent nearly as inciteful, they were more about his background and why is he is the way he is....or was as the case may be.

thats what it stands for ive loads of interveiws with him books of his peotry etc he spoke of the concept of thug life way before the tattoo or even fame ever came along .

superfrank
30/06/2005, 10:46 AM
ill add about him em up that its not just an other rappers slagging each other song , a few weeks before pac was shot 5 times and robbed ( 40,000 worth of jewlery)by the new york rappers he has a go at biggy, puffy , mob deep etc .
No, the best song written in that way is Nas' Ether, the one about Jay-Z.

Soper
30/06/2005, 11:27 AM
Fair play, some rubbish being espoused here!

People who moan about 2pac's background, are doing so just because the media has led them to believe that, just like the media acts towards Marilyn Manson etc.Most of 2pacs lyrics were social commentarys, and, as he kind of said himself, it's hard being an angel when your living in hell.

About the unreleased material:2pac had an incling that he was going to die, so he constantly reeled off songs in the studio just to be safe.It actually shows a great sense of initiative by him, that he has been able to release so many good songs since his death.

And Pat Time Mother is an amazing song.

:o

paul_oshea
30/06/2005, 11:46 AM
About the unreleased material:2pac had an incling that he was going to die, so he constantly reeled off songs in the studio just to be safe.It actually shows a great sense of initiative by him, that he has been able to release so many good songs since his death.

ya part time mother is a quality song. but why didnt he just move to irleand or somewhere like that??? he wasnt going to be shot there, and he said himself that he wanted to be around for as long as possible, so did he raelly beleive he was going to be shot or was he just using it to gain more publicity???

Soper
30/06/2005, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure really, but I mean, even nowadays, people like Kanye West and some others aim to record at least 3 songs a day, just in case anything should happen.It's important to remember that most mainstream rappers view themselves as businesses/corporations, and so recording a plethora of songs seems to be a good business plan should they die.

Ruairi
30/06/2005, 12:01 PM
have his greatest hits double cd, it's a good listen but certainly not the best rap cd i have. some of his stuff is magic, (How long will they mourn me, Dear Mama, and of course california love), some not so. But to be fair, there's far worse out there than him. Might go home and root it out for the trip to belfield tomorrow.

Gerrit
30/06/2005, 12:34 PM
I never said Tupac himself was proud of having been involved in crime...

I know that, unlike Snoop Dogg and 50Cent, Tupac never really used to brag about his criminal past to sell. But it is a fact that some fans do. Even though Tupac is not proud of it, some fans are, and they will link 2Pac to his criminal past as if it was a heroic thing. That is the link to 50Cent, and the fans being proud of it is just as bad as if Tupac himself would be. Seems to be a typical hiphop thing, seeing a hard-knock life on the streets as something to be proud of ; according to some younger hiphop fans you're not even "for real" if you make hiphop music without coming from 'da hood' and having been in a gang. :(

anto1208
30/06/2005, 12:43 PM
according to some younger hiphop fans you're not even "for real" if you make hiphop music without coming from 'da hood' and having been in a gang. :(

they would be the new generation of hip POP fans , the real fans as you can see from above know what he is on about its only the people that dont have a clue think he glorifies his past in any way

the only rap albums out there that are really worth there price tag s would be

dre: the cronic ( not cronic 2000)

snoop :doggy style

all eyes on me ,me against the world : pac

the rest is pretty poor even nwa who only had one good song express your self

paul_oshea
30/06/2005, 1:01 PM
he rest is pretty poor even nwa who only had one good song express your self

i can think of a better one!!!

anto1208
30/06/2005, 1:05 PM
i cant the rest was pretty in your face stuff designed to upset people more or less the same as what slim shady does now ,

it was good at the time but now its very dated ,

Gerrit
30/06/2005, 3:02 PM
they would be the new generation of hip POP fans , the real fans as you can see from above know what he is on about its only the people that dont have a clue think he glorifies his past in any way

True, but those hip POP fans are a quite big group of teenagers with a dangerous thoughts if they glorify criminal involvements.

Of course they're not the real hiphop fans, but they are a big group and get served "well" with the likes of criminal rappers such as 50Cent or Snoop Dogg.

Of course they're not the real fans. Same happens in gothic. Many young fans idolise with Evanescence, Cradle of Filth, etc and think their ideologies are goth. They don't come even close to gothic and every true Goth knows that, but that won't stop those teens from being highly influenced at an unstable age...

Neish
30/06/2005, 3:08 PM
i can think of a better one!!!

Expreess yourself is probably their best all right but there is also Straight outta compton and F*ck the police. Express yourself is the only song I heard of the 2nd album

paul_oshea
30/06/2005, 3:30 PM
straight outta compton is better in my opinion.

but while you are on the subject of pure hip hop, sure public enemy have to be the best???

superfrank
30/06/2005, 4:40 PM
8 ball and Comptons in the house are deadly songs of theirs. Straight Outta Comptons onme of the best albums from the eighties.

1 9 2 8
30/06/2005, 6:34 PM
I don't agree with Deathrow records are making millions from his death releasing his previously unreleased material. The reason 2Pac had so much unreleased material is because he wanted to leave Deathrow but it was in his contract he had to record a certain number of songs before he could leave them. So they are songs he didn't want to do i the first place

Anto McC
30/06/2005, 6:40 PM
I'm not a big Rap/Hip-hop fan but i do like some of Tupac's songs,his song called "Dear Mama" is excellent

Maz
30/06/2005, 9:03 PM
Am a 2pac fan! The man had his own style and way of doing things. His mother Afeni looks after everything now, with Eminem, Dre etc involved in the producing of the albums now. Watched a programme on his life etc and His mother has pumped alot of money into different programmes for disadvantaged kids, music programmes, shes doing good work

anto1208
01/07/2005, 8:18 AM
this is where all the amaru records money goes to .....still dont buy anything released by death row . suge should nt make another penny from him

http://www.tasf.org/

GreenBoy
02/07/2005, 12:26 PM
i dont see y Dre wold be involved as to the fact 2pac despised from an incident at Snoops murder trial. he was asked to come forward as a witness but said he was busy. tupac explains this in Toss it Up.
a great DVD would be tupac and biggie as it explains alot.
i dont say anything about 2 pac until i read up about it on the net.
every 1 else should do the same. im 14 and completely understand the Hip Hop scene and the hip POP scene as u described. people who hear the 1 or 2 songs that make it to the chart like ghetto gospel and changes that are great songs, but they say they love 2pac then but dont understand it. they need to buy some of his original cds and listen to them carefully before they say they "love" him and his music. i feel like its hipocritical.

superfrank
02/07/2005, 4:17 PM
Alot people just buy singles though. That happens to alot of acts. People who say they like every OutKast song but if you say ATLiens to them they look at you as if you have two heads.

It is annoying.

I don't like songs like Ghetto Gospel and Changes so there's no way I'm going to go buy one of his albums. I can't stand him.

If she loved her son why wont she let him rest in peace? :mad:

anto1208
04/07/2005, 10:40 AM
Alot people just buy singles though. That happens to alot of acts. People who say they like every OutKast song but if you say ATLiens to them they look at you as if you have two heads.

It is annoying.

I don't like songs like Ghetto Gospel and Changes so there's no way I'm going to go buy one of his albums. I can't stand him.

If she loved her son why wont she let him rest in peace? :mad:

because he wanted people to hear his songs , she is continuing his work same as elvis's family ,buddy holly, kurt kobain etc etc

Tony Montana
27/07/2005, 7:18 PM
Why are people that don't like any form of rap at all even giving their opinions on this subject?2Pac is the greatest rapper of all time,the last great icon of the 20th century..PERIOD.

superfrank
28/07/2005, 11:02 AM
Why are people that don't like any form of rap at all even giving their opinions on this subject?2Pac is the greatest rapper of all time,the last great icon of the 20th century..PERIOD.
:confused:

Gerrit
28/07/2005, 9:08 PM
My opinion is that Romanic languages are better for rap than Germanic. French and Spanish or even Italian have much more words per sentence than English or German, and the order of the words and grammar are excellent for rap music. France has some very good rap bands (including Manau who mix Irish folk music with rap in French language) and in the French speaking part of Belgium there's an excellent hiphop band as well...

European rap beats American rap usually, just because it's still underground, unlike the chants about pimps and ghetto fights that all American rappers talk about...

ThatGuy
28/07/2005, 10:18 PM
Nothing sadder than "rap-fans" :rolleyes:

jofyisgod
29/07/2005, 9:26 AM

Not constructive. Stop flaming, idiot.

Good points Gerrit, and fair play for thinking about it that much! :D
I'm gonna have to check out some people you've mentioned there. Tupac was good, but possibly owes much of his fame to circumstances surrounding his death.

superfrank
29/07/2005, 2:26 PM
How are they (myself included) ?

jofyisgod
29/07/2005, 6:41 PM
How are they (myself included) ?

Leave it superfrank. He's just a WUM.

speedking
03/08/2005, 1:51 PM
2pac is very overrated IMO. Like alot of artists who have died prematurely. Note I said alot, not all.