PDA

View Full Version : Umaga Spear tackle

Drumcondra Red
28/06/2005, 11:47 PM
Anyone have an internet link to see this footage, I haven't seen it yet, and can't find it :mad:

Superhoops
29/06/2005, 1:25 AM
Anyone have an internet link to see this footage, I haven't seen it yet, and can't find it :mad:
DR some good stills here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=697&ObjectID=10332920) from TV coverage that clearly shows the tackle.

Drumcondra Red
29/06/2005, 9:59 AM
Thanks superhoops, but I've seen the stills, I missed the start of the game on Saturday and then missed all replays of it, I'd like to see it in full though!

Superhoops
29/06/2005, 7:06 PM
Thanks superhoops, but I've seen the stills, I missed the start of the game on Saturday and then missed all replays of it, I'd like to see it in full though!
DR try this (http://xtramsn.co.nz/rugby/0,,12416-4513379-300,00.html) It is not the best but you can see BOD flying through the air.

Drumcondra Red
30/06/2005, 3:01 PM
I'll try that, thanks!

CollegeTillIDie
30/06/2005, 10:44 PM
That so called tackle was premeditated no doubt about that.
It is an example of what is known in Ice hockey as goonery.
Players with great physical strength target the star player of the opposing team and "take him out" so to speak!
Then the teams with the star players would sign other goons to protect their star players and take out the other goons and this is how fighting became an integral part of the NHL.

One possible answer to this problem is to take a leaf out the All Blacks book and to an extent out of golfs book too. The Lions instead of Being just British and Irish, should go European, as the Ryder Cup did some years back.

The Italians and French should be included in the squad. The Italians have some goon forwards who could take out the likes of Umaga. One of them would be in the sin bin the other in A & E.
The French backs could tear the All Blacks apart. Added to the mix already there it would be a potent mix.

el tk
07/07/2005, 7:52 PM
There's far too much history in the Lions to expand it now, anyway this thing was a clear-out and not a tackle