PDA

View Full Version : Reds Bring Cheer To Beslan Survivors

ali2005
28/06/2005, 3:47 PM
Liverpool Football Club last week played host to two teenage survivors of the Beslan terrorist massacre that left more than 350 people - including 156 children - dead when Chechen gunmen took over a school close to the Russian border.
Millions around the world watched in horror as Russian troops stormed Middle School No.1 after a terrorist booby trap exploded and now, nine months on, 12 of the schools pupils have travelled over to England to help them overcome the mental scars caused by the 52-hour siege.

While some of the small group wanted to see historical sights in London whilst getting to know local children in Telford where they are staying, there was only place that two of the boys wanted to visit - Anfield.

On Thursday they did just that as the pair, who lost many of their friends in the tragedy, were taken on a special guided tour of England's most famous football stadium.

"I have been a Liverpool supporter for seven years," claimed Petr Mamaev, 16, who turned up at Anfield in his yellow Liverpool away shirt, "and it has always been my dream to go to Anfield. Especially after they won the Champions League."

A thank you from Petr and ZourbekPetr and his friend Zourbek visited the home dressing room, trophy room, players tunnel and sat in the Kop as part of their tour but while they were keen to thank the club for making their dream come true in a heartfelt letter to LFC, the real person they have to thank for making the trip possible is Steve Bayliss, who runs an international language school in Telford.

It was his idea to bring the children, many of whom had not been separated from their families since the massacre, to England.

"The parents had a lot of concerns about letting the children travel so far," said Bayliss, who spent six months working with the school to make sure that the trip happened. "I just knew that I had to do something. All I could think of was to give them a nice time, and maybe a cultural experience as well."

Taken from here (www.liverpoolfc.tv)

CollegeTillIDie
28/06/2005, 7:50 PM
Nice gesture by the club and a great PR exercise.
Sad to see that the poison of the Premiership has even effected Russia...
What about Lokomotiv, Torpedo, Spartak CSKA or Zenit lads? :D