PDA

View Full Version : Smashing Pumpkins to Reform?

Lionel Ritchie
28/06/2005, 2:31 PM
Bits of stuff floating around about Pumpkins reforming. I'd be a bit surprised as Billy Corgan has just released a solo LP so he's hardly likely to shelve it to put back together a band he left, parked, crashed or otherwise broke up so he could make a solo LP.

AND he very childishly spat the dummy out about James Iha being responsible for breaking up the Pumpkins in a pretty shameless soap opera-esque rant a little while back on his site so I wouldn't be too surprised if Iha told him where to shove it

Wretsky and Chamberlain might go for it alright and sure if they don't theres always Auf Der Mauer and the good ol' Korg Dr. Rhythm.

I just hope he doesn't just call a new backing band Smashing Pumpkins a la Miles Hunt whoring a backing band around with him under the flag of convenience of The Wonderstuff despite it featuring only one other original stuffie.

Gareth
28/06/2005, 2:39 PM
Well seeing as Billy was the one talking about it I'd imagine he is not too worried about his solo album. I don't think he would do it if he didn't get at least 2 of them to come back.

Lionel Ritchie
28/06/2005, 2:47 PM
Well seeing as Billy was the one talking about it I'd imagine he is not too worried about his solo album. I don't think he would do it if he didn't get at least 2 of them to come back.

mmm ya -but i think I can guess which two already.

I thought this was hot air when I heard about it at first but I've just been on his site and ...ya ...he says he wants to put the pumpkins back together.

The words he used were "I'm making plans to put the pumpkins back together" and he gave no indication whatsoever about having spoken to any other members. If it's a done deal that he's announcing then I'm delighted -but if he's negotiating with his former bandmates through the internet and ads in newspapers then he deserves a bit of a kicking in my view.

If there's nothing more to it than gaining extra mentions for his solo LP he deserves a hiding.

Gareth
28/06/2005, 2:54 PM
I have seen quotes of the like "The Pumpkins were not finished" and "I feel I have more to give to the Pumpkins". I losely translate as Zwan and my solo album aint been doing to good. I am a little bit worried I am fading out of music and I think its time to revive my old super duper band before its too late....well hey everyones doing it.......

Its funny cos its the direct opposite of what he said when they disbanded the group...

Dublin12
28/06/2005, 3:15 PM
The bottom line is that since the original Pumpkins line up Billy hasn't done anything to match their success and never will either.The only option for a money spinner and to get back in the media spotlight is to reform the band with D'Arcy,Jimi and James.End of.

Lionel Ritchie
28/06/2005, 3:49 PM
I have seen quotes of the like "The Pumpkins were not finished" and "I feel I have more to give to the Pumpkins". I losely translate as Zwan and my solo album aint been doing to good. I am a little bit worried I am fading out of music and I think its time to revive my old super duper band before its too late....well hey everyones doing it.......

Its funny cos its the direct opposite of what he said when they disbanded the group...

Funilly -I thought the Zwan LP was bloody good. The single 'Lyric' is up there with any of the Pumpkins top tunes.

Baker
28/06/2005, 7:23 PM
Funilly -I thought the Zwan LP was bloody good. The single 'Lyric' is up there with any of the Pumpkins top tunes.

I agree with you on the Zwan album, I though it was really good.

I saw Billy Corgan at the Ambassader a few weeks ago, worst gig I was ever at. Hugely disappointing. He played all the new solo album which hadnt been released at that point and there wasnt one song I thought might tempt me to go out and buy the album.

If a reformed Pumpkins ever played Ireland I would gladly go along to hear the old tunes but as a songwriting force I think Corgans best days may be behind him.

Pauro 76
30/06/2005, 3:56 PM
seen the article in Kerrang. Apparantly Corgan took out a full page advert in some local Chicago papers, not so sure will this be a good thing. Their last album Machina had its moments, but they've been going downhill since MellonCollie... it can only surely be about money? and back-up in case Corgan's solo album bombs?

EnDai
01/07/2005, 4:24 PM
Downhill since Mellon Collie? What are you on lad?! :) Adore is just behind Siamese Dream and Pisces Iscariot in terms of their best albums! Its utterly fantastic!