PDA

View Full Version : Great Places of Ireland

Pages : [1] 2

rebs23
28/06/2005, 1:53 PM
Won't be going anywhere this year for hols, staying in Ireland and travelling around.
Wondering has anyone got out of the way or not really publicised scenic spots to visit.
To give you an example West Waterford especially around Villierstown and from Lismore down river is a great unspoilt area.
Any suggestions anyone and please no parochialism!

Eire06
28/06/2005, 1:57 PM
An Rinn in Waterford just outside Dungarvan is a beautiful place one of the top spots in Ireland IMO.

Babysis
28/06/2005, 2:01 PM
hand on heart i would reccommend the Renvyle penninsula out on the West coast of Galway. Spend a good bit of time there, and it is stunning. its a 2 hour drive from Galway city, and its a good 20min drive further on from Clifden. May not be your thing, but i love it out there. :) loads to do aswell.

drinkfeckarse
28/06/2005, 2:01 PM
Get yourself away down to the West Cork area, some great scenery there. Failing that go to Cobh ;)

paul_oshea
28/06/2005, 2:05 PM
go down to lough cullaim, lough conn in mayo to pontoon bridge, it is one of the most amazing views i have seen in anywhere i have been. and the good thing is there are loads of nice pubs and pull in spots all around there.

i just did this about 2 weeks ago with a lad from argentina brought him around most of ireland and even he said the best pics were taken from there. granted it was a perfect day, no clouds, could see for miles, but well well worth a visit, another is the twelve pins and lough mask, kylemore abbey, along the burren etc and even out the connemara road. had a great time and it is well well worth a visit.

you can only see one side from this pic but still can get an appreciation for it:
http://pontoon.mayo-ireland.ie/Fishing/Fishing.htm

paul_oshea
28/06/2005, 2:09 PM
i would agree with babysis on that as well, its not that well known either like pontoon everyone knows and has gone to west cork and to be honest i think its overrated, even a lot of kerry is, unspoilt you really need to go west, even up to belmullet pollathomas etc, unreal up there.

going out the connemara road along up towards rosmuck etc you can go to renvile from there also, really really great views along the way, nice pubs, laybys ( well picnic type areas ) and hill climbing and if ye want to live it the galway way sheep shagging and all.

Peadar
28/06/2005, 2:12 PM
There are few places in Ireland that can match West Cork (http://www.westcork.ie/) and Kerry! (http://www.corkkerry.ie/)

One thing I personally would love to do is get a Shannon cruiser (http://www.shannoncruisers.com/).
Another Shannon Cruise link... (http://www.silverlinecruisers.com/)

Babysis
28/06/2005, 2:14 PM
i would agree with babysis on that as well, its not that well known either like pontoon everyone knows and has gone to west cork and to be honest i think its overrated, even a lot of kerry is, unspoilt you really need to go west, even up to belmullet pollathomas etc, unreal up there.

going out the connemara road along up towards rosmuck etc you can go to renvile from there also, really really great views along the way, nice pubs, laybys ( well picnic type areas ) and hill climbing and if ye want to live it the galway way sheep shagging and all.

You can go for a drive out to Omei (excuse speeling, cant be botherd looking it up, sorry) ~Island, although there is nothing really out there, but its the novelty of going across the beach to get there. Kylemore is stunning, where my aunty went to school. Leenan, is where the Field was filmed, if you like that sort of thing. The strand beach is stunning in Tully - pure white sand. You can go to Diamonds bar in Tully and hire bikes, or go horse riding, or like me, get drunk with the old irish lot ;) :D

I am biased, but as "Paul O shea" says it is stunning. :)

strangeirish
28/06/2005, 2:15 PM
Tallaght is very nice in the summer.

paul_oshea
28/06/2005, 2:15 PM
that is great alright but ye need a group with ye, getting ****ed along the way, stopping in each night at a different town drinking and singing, tis great craic. its not that expensive either for weekend hrie if ye have a good few.

when we were driving from the ros to portlaoise there is some place in offaly that is unreal, its a backroad i cant tell ye what the name is but i can try and find out, anyhow you climb in a wooded area for ages and i mean ages then you come out on top of a mountain or big hill maybe all that is around is planted trees and a big gap either side, you can see literally for miles and miles, i have never been able to see so far or clearly from a mountani before, if anyone knows wehre it is post it up. its a great view altogether and a nice drive, but thats about it as its in the middle of nowhere. if you were going from east to west or south to west it would be worth going through.

pineapple stu
28/06/2005, 2:50 PM
Just back from a weekend in the Killykeel Forest Park log cabins near Killyshandra in Cavan - good craic and a great location. Don't think they have a website (though probably under Coillte), but there's fishing, hiking, tennis, equestrian, random spaces of grass for football and fully equipped log cabins (fridge, freezer, microwave, TV, showers, beds, etc.).

Peadar
28/06/2005, 2:52 PM
fully equipped log cabins (fridge, freezer, microwave, TV, showers, beds, etc.).

What, no PlayStation?
Sounds like crap to me! :D

Malby
28/06/2005, 2:53 PM
Get yourself away down to the West Cork area, some great scenery there. Failing that go to Cobh ;)
I agree, just back from there and it was lovely.

pineapple stu
28/06/2005, 2:53 PM
There's a plug socket too! ;)

One of the lads brought a laptop with 3,000 songs downloaded - music for the night sorted! Fridge and freezer fit plenty of beer - we even killed a bat by accident 'cos the silly fecker flew into the freezer when someone was getting another tin and wasn't discovered until the morning!

Babysis
28/06/2005, 2:54 PM
Another place i really enjoyed was all round the Glenties (sorry about the spelling). Not as good as Renvyle IMO, but impressive none the less. Stopped off in some adventure/hiking centre there, really beautiful scenery. :)

Peadar
28/06/2005, 2:56 PM
we even killed a bat by accident 'cos the silly fecker flew into the freezer!

I've heard of cold showers but frozen bats take the biscuit! :D

There's never a taxi around when you need one. :o

paul_oshea
28/06/2005, 3:00 PM
all round the Glenties

in tir chonnail? there is some gap up near there that is class if the sun is setting. :cool:

Babysis
28/06/2005, 3:05 PM
in tir chonnail? there is some gap up near there that is class if the sun is setting. :cool:
I couldn't really appreciate it as much as I would have liked. It was the night after Halloween, my first one in Derry. Hanging the next mornign, aos when I was offered the chacne to explore, i assumed it would be a chilled out stroll -not a 5 hour car journey in a roasting hot car :eek: . Not good, but the views were still fantastic. The guy i was with had done all the outdoor recreation stuff round there, so knew all the history and stories from taking tours out, was very good. :)

fosterdollar
28/06/2005, 3:06 PM
Another place i really enjoyed was all round the Glenties (sorry about the spelling). Not as good as Renvyle IMO, but impressive none the less. Stopped off in some adventure/hiking centre there, really beautiful scenery. :)
Donegal has been absolutely destroyed over the last ten years, especially the North West. Used to holiday a lot around Sheephaven Bay, Dunfanaghy, Port-na-Blagh but it's gone to sh!te now with ten times more holiday homes than houses than belong to actual natives. Much of the natural features of the area has been destroyed.
Glenties is more west and used to be a nice place but haven't been in a long time. Glencolmcille which is too far from there and Ardara are/used to be beautiful places. I remember something about the sea depth the far side of the headland in Glencolmcille beeing the deepest in Irish waters or something. Probably white lies though. ;)

Countyman
28/06/2005, 3:12 PM
West Clare is yer only man. Loop drive, kilkee cliffs, white strand , doolin (on a quiet day) . Ballyvaughan is nice too.

Babysis
28/06/2005, 3:14 PM
West Clare is yer only man. Loop drive, kilkee cliffs, white strand , doolin (on a quiet day) . Ballyvaughan is nice too.
Im really looking forward to seeing Clare. My best mate moves over there for good in 2 weeks, :( so its a chance for me to go over and get to see the place. Only ever driven through it from the airport :o

Cosmo
28/06/2005, 3:29 PM
Would have to say west clare is pretty cool too - spent a week down in kilkee a couple of years ago.

brendy_éire
28/06/2005, 3:31 PM
West Clare is class, as is west Galway. Would thoroughly recommend Galway City for a few days, it's buzzin during the summer.
Donegal has some class scenery, try the Fanad and Inishowen peninsulas. Get the ferry from Rathmullen to Buncrana, go up round Malin Head, and get the ferry to Magillian in County Derry. Mind you, not much else beyond that bar the Giants Causeway or south to Lough Neagh.

The Marble Arch Caves in Fermanagh are worth a visit, but wouldn't go well out of your way for them.

Dublin12
28/06/2005, 3:35 PM
Dublin is a great place in Ireland,has everything,blue flag beach,mountains,clubs,pubs,restaurants,beautiful women,croke park,great shopping and even great prices :)

Babysis
28/06/2005, 3:35 PM
Donegal has some class scenery, try the Fanad and Inishowen peninsulas. .

Nice whiskey from Innishowen. :D :)

Drumcondra Red
28/06/2005, 3:41 PM
Donegal, go up there to tthe likes of Dungloe, Annagry etc, we have a cottage up there and spent all summers there as a kid, middle of nowhere, but there's still pubs!!! Good way to relax

Rented a cruiser (I use the word losely :o ) on the shannon a few years ago, brilliant fun, anotherday, another place :p

Babysis
28/06/2005, 3:51 PM
Id love to do that. just get a rake of my mates together and hire a boat/caravan/chalet. Brilliant fun - but they are all too busy :( :D

Colm55
28/06/2005, 4:07 PM
The Conor Pass in Kerry is amazing followed with a trip around the dingle penninsula, taking in the Gaeltacht areas, Ballydavid, Ballyferiter and the likes... one needs a fine day though ....

hamish
28/06/2005, 4:23 PM
If you're into buying, selling, looking at horses - October Fair Week in Beeslow is your man.

We've evn got a new marina on the Suck with loads of German totty on the boats. :D

paul_oshea
28/06/2005, 4:26 PM
is the suck big up there/??

hamish
28/06/2005, 4:37 PM
is the suck big up there/??

There were a few tributaries/channels which were widened/deepened etc. A lovely little bridge and walkway was constructed plus loads of other stuff - landscaping/boat berths etc. . You pass by it when you travel through the city :D on the way to Galway. It's on your left opposite LIDL and the Church.

Even though I say so myself, they did a pretty nice job of it. They plan to build a big leisure centre/multiplex cinema/hotel complex beside it - seems a bad idea but the land currently beside marina could do with something on it as it looks like a dried out swamp.

Anto McC
28/06/2005, 4:59 PM
No better place in the world let alone Ireland than a Sunday afternoon on Hill 16 when the Dubs are playing.

paul_oshea
28/06/2005, 5:06 PM
I spot a WUM. Unless heaven is a place where skangers in stonewashed jeans shout 'sheepshaggers' at some county giving them a lesson in Gaelic football.

LOL, great response, though i must say the atmosphere is great up there on teh hill, especially if they are playing the royal county, but it still doesnt feel the same anything as good as your own county playing.

hamish
28/06/2005, 5:09 PM
LOL, great response, though i must say the atmosphere is great up there on teh hill, especially if they are playing the royal county, but it still doesnt feel the same anything as good as your own county playing.

What's a WUM??? :confused:

soccerc
28/06/2005, 6:01 PM
i just did this about 2 weeks ago with a lad from argentina brought him around most of ireland and even he said the best pics were taken from there.

You did in your %$%%@*. :confused:

Around most of Roscommon more like with a bit of Mayo and Galway thrown in :D

Green Tribe
28/06/2005, 8:34 PM
Hire a boat and do the lakes round upper and lower lough erne, close enough to visit sligo donegal and enniskillen, lot of nice islands, devenish island for example. yeah, if you're in the area, see the marble arch caves.

hamish
28/06/2005, 8:41 PM
Hire a boat and do the lakes round upper and lower lough erne, close enough to visit sligo donegal and enniskillen, lot of nice islands, devenish island for example. yeah, if you're in the area, see the marble arch caves.

Avoid some of the locals LOL :D

Green Tribe
28/06/2005, 8:51 PM
Avoid some of the locals LOL :D

Hey! Us south east Fermanagh lot are alright, it's those snobby gets in Enniskillen..... ;) :D

hamish
28/06/2005, 9:00 PM
Hey! Us south east Fermanagh lot are alright, it's those snobby gets in Enniskillen..... ;) :D

LOL - I thought Enniskillen was the civilized part. South East Fermanagh eh? Is that the placed twinned with Chernobyl???? :D :D

Green Tribe
28/06/2005, 9:10 PM
LOL - I thought Enniskillen was the civilized part. South East Fermanagh eh? Is that the placed twinned with Chernobyl???? :D :D

Feck off! :D Actually we had a huge group of youngsters over from Chernobyl ever since the incident to get some 'fresh air' :D They were great craic. Were in our school every year

carrickharp
29/06/2005, 7:22 AM
I remember something about the sea depth the far side of the headland in Glencolmcille beeing the deepest in Irish waters or something.

Think it is Sliabh Liag that you heard about in Carrick (15 miles past Killybegs) officially the highest sea cliffs in Europe great view from the top of the mountain, the bars in the area are good for late pints!!

Sliabh Liag (http://www.donegaldirect.com/Site_Business_Details.aspx?business_id=5010)

Peadar
29/06/2005, 8:07 AM
What's a WUM??? :confused:

Wind-up Merchant
The type of people who prey on people like you. :D

paul_oshea
29/06/2005, 8:17 AM
You did in your %$%%@*.

meant to say most of the west of ireland!!!!

....well the good spots at least!!

hamish
29/06/2005, 5:51 PM
Wind-up Merchant
The type of people who prey on people like you. :D

Oh you're very smart Corky Boy :p :D

Jim Smith
29/06/2005, 6:19 PM
Personally I love the Beara Peninsula - preferable to Dingle IMHO - as it still has a feeling of wilderness about it.
Another classic area is the Kilbride Peninsula in Mayo. Clonbur is a great wee village. The scenery and the geology are stunning...unfortunately access is becoming a bit of an issue there.

sligoman
29/06/2005, 11:59 PM
Leitrim:

Glencar Waterfall (http://www.lookaroundireland.com/scenicinteractive/glencarwaterfall.htm)

Various Leitrim places (http://www.leitrimtourism.com/attractions.cfm)

Sligo:

Dooney Rock (http://www.sligozone.net/DooneyRock.htm)

Holy Well (http://www.sligozone.net/tober.htm)

Fishing? (http://www.ireland.ie/things_2_do_results_single.asp?sID=11065)

Carrowmore tombs (http://www.stonepages.com/ireland/carrowmore.html)

Sligo Abbey (http://www.12travel.com/ie/attractions/sligoabbey.html)

Yeats grave (http://www.sligotourism.ie/360/drum-360.html)

Various Sligo places (http://www.radford.edu/~eurotrails/Jenny_Cline/sligo.htm)

Hope thats enough for you :D

One more (this is the best one) :p (http://www.worldstadia.com/ws/show-page.php?menuCommand=stadium&menuData=608)

rebs23
30/06/2005, 9:03 AM
The East Coast must be one god awful place, no mentions at all.

I was planning on heading up the East Coast (first stop Lismore after that don't know) and then onto Donegal, been ages since I have been there(Inishowen Peninsula) down the centre of the country along the Shannon and then down to Heaven (West Cork).

Any suggestions along this route?
Thanks for all the tips so far. Sligoman Never knew there so much in Leitrim!

Macy
30/06/2005, 9:29 AM
The East Coast must be one god awful place, no mentions at all.
Wicklow Mountains are great. Glendalough is spectacular. Biggest problem is the number of bloody tourists there in the summer. More a spring/autumn place to visit, particularly avoid during school holidays.

Haven't really investigated to the coastal parts yet tbh. Enough around where I live that I don't know :eek:

paul_oshea
30/06/2005, 9:30 AM
if you are heading down the shannon try clonmacniose and tarmonbarry for a few pints. loads of places really carric on shannon, rooskey, shannonbridge, athlone????

hamish
01/07/2005, 6:09 PM
if you are heading down the shannon try clonmacniose and tarmonbarry for a few pints. loads of places really carric on shannon, rooskey, shannonbridge, athlone????

Yeah, I've some great memories of the Shannonbridge to Clonmacnoise road :D