Razors left peg
20/05/2021, 4:16 PM
Yg8hY6SKuEQ

Pretty interesting interview with Ryan Johannson on the FAI youtube page

seanfhear
20/05/2021, 4:35 PM
Yg8hY6SKuEQ

Pretty interesting interview with Ryan Johannson on the FAI youtube page
He is a bit too good looking. How many good looking Irish players have their been ?

Razors left peg
20/05/2021, 4:36 PM
He is a bit too good looking. How many good looking Irish players have their been ?

Not since the boyband days of McAteer, Gary Kelly and Phil Babb

seanfhear
20/05/2021, 4:45 PM
Not since the boyband days of McAteer, Gary Kelly and Phil Babb
Like I said not too many good looking Irish Internationals.

Eirambler
20/05/2021, 5:00 PM
I seem to remember Steve Finnan being highly rated in that regard, possibly Given also? I wouldn't be the best judge!

Johansson always comes across well in interviews and he said all the right things again there. Good to have him involved and hopefully he makes it to the senior team in the future.

The Fly
20/05/2021, 5:02 PM
No longer just potentially eligible...Ryan Johansson's now onboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg8hY6SKuEQ

Olé Olé
20/05/2021, 6:13 PM
Is this the "Potentially eligible players" or "Potentially eligible bachelors" thread?

I believe Roy Keane was the housewives' choice for a spell. Well deserved. Beautiful man in all aspects.

Eminence Grise
20/05/2021, 6:38 PM
He looks chuffed to bits. I'm really impressed with his confidence and and level-headedness. Welcome back!

seanfhear
20/05/2021, 7:38 PM
If we can’t plat football it would be nice to have a good looking team.............................................. ( wink )

BonnieShels
21/05/2021, 12:17 AM
I've been so out of the loop that I had no idea tha this was still in the pipeline.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0520/1222945-my-heart-wanted-to-go-with-ireland-ryan-johansson/

Only found out when I read this a half hour ago and as I was reading it I was wondering why it was even on the RTÉ website, but I properly put my hands in the air and went "YES" when I got to the end. Proper cliff-hanger.

After a gowl of a year with the national team, this is a nice bit of news. Delighted.

John83
21/05/2021, 1:51 AM
If we can’t plat football it would be nice to have a good looking team.............................................. ( wink )
This sounds awfully close to Blatter's "tighter shorts" plan for women's football.

seanfhear
21/05/2021, 2:44 AM
This sounds awfully close to Blatter's "tighter shorts" plan for women's football.
Was it the 80’s or 90’s that the men had that ?

Could we play in Irish Kilts. I think the Scottish may be missing a trick here ! !

Kingdom
13/08/2021, 11:40 AM
Johansson gone to fortuna sittard on a season long loan

https://www.facebook.com/194750387257964/posts/4358445090888452/?d=n

John83
13/08/2021, 12:17 PM
I just looked them up. Fortuna Sittard are an Eredivisie side in Netherlands. They have a few lads with international experience, mostly youth level, but at least one relatively guy with a couple of caps for Greece. Sounds like a decent place to test himself.

Kingdom
13/08/2021, 12:41 PM
Sorry John83, I thought they were relatively well-known.
They’ll be in the relegation battle I would imagine, or hovering just above, and I would imagine he’s going there to play, when you consider how much he played in pre-season and the reviews he got.. It’s a move that has potential for him for sure.

tetsujin1979
13/08/2021, 1:41 PM
To be honest, I hadn't heard of them either, but I'd struggle to name any Dutch side beyond the usual suspects.
They finished comfortable midtable last season, 11 points clear of the relegation play offs, and six points short of the European competition play offs - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_Eredivisie#Standings
Goals didn't seem to be a problem for them, the next four teams ahead of them in the standings all scored less than Fortuna's 50, but only the three relegated sides, and 14th placed Willem II, conceded more than their 58 goals.

Diggs246
13/08/2021, 8:53 PM
I think it's a good move for us, we need lads playing and if we have Cullen playing in Belgium, then why not Ryan in Holland. We will know very quickly if he is good enough for international football

The Fly
13/08/2021, 9:03 PM
I'll be very surprised if he isn't called up for the senior squad sometime this season.

Olé Olé
13/08/2021, 10:02 PM
From what I've seen for our under 21s, Johansson will be a relative stand out for Fortuna in the Netherlands. His comfort on the ball, willingness to take it in tight areas and progress it... He has some traits that you see from players from the top Dutch academies. I also think he'll be with the senior squad soon. I think he'd have earned a call up had he stayed at Sevilla' s B side and just played well for the 21s.

I sound like I'm blowing this lad up but I will caveat by saying that I'm not sure where his ceiling is until he identifies his best position. I think he's at a certain level now with plenty potential and ability (the aspects I mention above) that could get him a call up. I don't think he's the second coming of Zidane or Roy Keane. Hopefully he can find his role at Fortuna at that level before pushing on next season at a higher level in the same role and then we will know how good he could be. For now, there are plenty raw materials there and a natural footballer.

Kingdom
14/08/2021, 9:33 AM
"RYAN JOHANSSON ON LOAN TO FORTUNA SITTARD
Fortuna Sittard has strengthened itself with the services of Ryan Johansson. The multifunctional midfielder comes on a rental basis from the Spanish Sevilla, playing in the Primera División. The 20-year-old Luxembourger is rented for the duration of one season.

Technical manager Sjoerd Ars speaks of a great opportunity that presented itself. "We have been able to conclude a very good deal with Sevilla, which benefits all parties," said the former footballer. “Ryan is a talented midfielder who can play in multiple positions. He is well trained in several countries and at several top clubs. We give him the chance to fly hours and to develop further in the Eredivisie.

Johansson took his first steps in Luxembourg at the youth academy of Racing FC Union. There he was then picked up by FC Metz from France. In 2017, the youth international joined the FC Bayern Munich youth academy. Since 2020, the Luxembourger, who also has Irish and Swedish nationality, has been under contract with Sevilla. Johansson still has a contract until mid-2026 in southern Spain."

tetsujin1979
14/08/2021, 10:21 AM
Playing Twente this evening at seven

The Fly
14/08/2021, 6:20 PM
He's on the bench.

tetsujin1979
02/10/2021, 8:21 PM
On for his senior debut tonight for Fortuna Sittard, currently 3-1 down

Diggs246
03/10/2021, 7:21 AM
I've a good feeling about Ryan. I think he could be a good player for us, in a postion we need talent.

Kingdom
05/10/2021, 12:42 AM
This is good. Necessary even. Needs to build on it.

tetsujin1979
27/10/2021, 5:17 PM
First start with Fortuna tonight, they're playing in the Dutch cup

Kingdom
29/10/2021, 10:52 AM
Any word on how he got on tets? He needs serious game time there, even at a young age, he's had a few moves now that hasn't resulted in game time. the sooner the better for him, and for us - hopefully.

Diggs246
29/10/2021, 11:13 AM
Any word on how he got on tets? He needs serious game time there, even at a young age, he's had a few moves now that hasn't resulted in game time. the sooner the better for him, and for us - hopefully.

looks like he played right back, which is unhelpful
Fortuna Sittard vs. TOP Oss - 27 October 2021 - Soccerway (https://ie.soccerway.com/matches/2021/10/27/netherlands/knvb-beker/fortuna-sittard/bvo-top-oss/3666286/)

tetsujin1979
29/10/2021, 11:38 AM
no, nothing, even the match report on the official site only mentioned him in the lineup. It does look like he played full back from the lineup in the article
https://www.fortunasittard.nl/fortuna-sittard-overtuigend-verder-in-bekertoernooi/

ifk101
29/10/2021, 12:13 PM
Played RB in these video highlights.

Shn7isEMF4A

I thought he looked good, if unfit, for the U21s. Disappointing he's not getting much game time, and when he does, it's out of position.

Kingdom
29/10/2021, 1:44 PM
Played RB in these video highlights.

Shn7isEMF4A

I thought he looked good, if unfit, for the U21s. Disappointing he's not getting much game time, and when he does, it's out of position.

I won't agree that he looked good, but he certainly looked nowhere near matchfit, and wasn't as effective as a result. I'm reluctant to jump to an overreaction, but it's been an underwhelming couple of years for him, and while his career is nowhere near heading towards the gutter, he needs to be getting game time.

Jim Crawford -whatever about tactics, in game management etc - is a hugely impressive communicator from what I've seen. and is extremely positive in general. But his comments on Johannson and Patrick Finn last month said a lot.

tommy_c12000
29/10/2021, 2:09 PM
I watched him in person during Bayern’s preseason tour a couple of years ago, and watched him in other friendly games. Tidy player but didn’t standout a whole lot. I wasn’t overly concerned when it looked like he wasn’t able to play for us. He hasn’t done anything in his career thus far and can’t break into a bad Fortuna side. Playing right back is not good for him, he’s clearly an attacking player. If he doesn’t break through by Dec he needs to change his loan team. From my recollection Sevilla did sign him on a ridiculously long contract so he has a few more years to try to develop I guess…

JR89
29/10/2021, 2:43 PM
looks like he played right back, which is unhelpful
Fortuna Sittard vs. TOP Oss - 27 October 2021 - Soccerway (https://ie.soccerway.com/matches/2021/10/27/netherlands/knvb-beker/fortuna-sittard/bvo-top-oss/3666286/)

He's played RB for Bayern Munich in friendlies a few times. Wouldn't say it's unhelpful either when you think Doherty is turning 30 and Coleman turned 33 this month. Our options after that are Christie, Danny McNamara at Millwall, or Peter Kioso at MK Dons.

ColourfulPeanut
29/10/2021, 2:53 PM
Yeah we're not exactly stacked at right back for the future. Just because we've been flush over the years, doesn't mean we couldn't do with another.

Barring Lee O'Connor, there aren't any young RBs playing regularly. I think we look healthy at LB with Bagan and the very exciting Adamarola.

I won't complain if Johansson turns into a good right back.

Kingdom
29/10/2021, 3:12 PM
Yeah we're not exactly stacked at right back for the future. Just because we've been flush over the years, doesn't mean we couldn't do with another.

Barring Lee O'Connor, there aren't any young RBs playing regularly. I think we look healthy at LB with Bagan and the very exciting Adamarola.

Bagan doesn't look in any way outstanding to me.

JR89
29/10/2021, 3:17 PM

Lee O'Connor has 41 mins of game time in League Two for Tranmere this this. Only started for the U21s this month because Andy Lyons was injured.

Danny McNamara and Peter Kioso are starting for both Millwall and Mk Dons. Kioso actually has more minutes for Luton before going out on loan than O'Connor has with Tranmere this season.

ColourfulPeanut
29/10/2021, 3:38 PM
Lee O'Connor has 41 mins of game time in League Two for Tranmere this this. Only started for the U21s this month because Andy Lyons was injured.

Danny McNamara and Peter Kioso are starting for both Millwall and Mk Dons. Kioso actually has more minutes for Luton before going out on loan than O'Connor has with Tranmere this season.
Does Kioso even want to play for us? I was only looking at players U21 to be fair, those two are overage. McNamara is a good shout though, he doesn't seem to be on the radar at all. When he should have been with Christie getting a call up.

JR89
31/10/2021, 5:43 PM
Does Kioso even want to play for us? I was only looking at players U21 to be fair, those two are overage. McNamara is a good shout though, he doesn't seem to be on the radar at all. When he should have been with Christie getting a call up.

Not sure if he's ever been in with any of our underage teams. Qualifies for the DR Congo and only way I see him choosing them over us would be he'd be guaranteed starter for years to come.

Johansson keeps his place at RB to make his league debut tonight. Regular RB is struggling for fitness so might get a couple of games in the mean time.

tetsujin1979
03/08/2022, 2:11 PM
Amidst rumours that Cadiz, who finished 17th in La Liga last season, want Johansson on loan this season, agents SEG Football have announced that he has signed with them

CraftyToePoke
03/08/2022, 2:45 PM
That man needs to kick some ball someplace soon.

liamoo11
03/08/2022, 3:02 PM
Did we ever find out what went so badly wrong that he barely made the bench for second half of season?

Razors left peg
03/08/2022, 3:49 PM
Did we ever find out what went so badly wrong that he barely made the bench for second half of season?

General sh1teness Id imagine??

Eirambler
03/08/2022, 4:08 PM
Always harder to figure out what's happening with players at clubs on the continent but, given how little they played him, it can only be assumed that they didn't rate him highly.

Philly
31/08/2023, 1:36 PM
Moves to SC Freiburg II, who play in the Regionalliga Südwest ( 4th 3rd tier in Germany).

https://www.scfreiburg.com/aktuell/nachrichten/news-u23/2023/24/news/ryan-johansson-verstaerkt-die-zweite/

pineapple stu
31/08/2023, 1:44 PM
Third tier, not fourth tier.

They were actually second in it last year, but were ineligible for promotion. So a decent third tier side at that. If he gets his game, it might be comparable to the guys who've gone on loan to League One sides lately.

Exgrad
01/09/2023, 10:05 AM
ok thats makes more sense, the hype accounts were making out he had got himself a move to the bundesliga side rather than their reserve team, which sounded unlikely.

Olé Olé
01/09/2023, 10:30 AM
It would be good to understand how Freiburg view him and how fluid they tend to be in terms of usage of players between their two sides.

He is 22 now and is coming from the Sevilla B team and non event of a Dutch loan so you would have to imagine he's a Freiburg II player but that his pedigree and the opportunity to train with the first team might see him work his way into contention. There is definitely a punt involved, surely.

I had a look through recent Freiburg II players and the names I know would have been lads on a straight line into the first team (and onwards from there). Max Philipp, Nico Schlotterbeck and Kevin Schade all played for them at the ages of 19 and 20. Zack Steffen went back to the States after games there.

tetsujin1979
02/09/2023, 12:29 PM
Starting today for Freiburg's reserve side against Essen in the third division in Germany

tetsujin1979
17/09/2023, 3:36 PM
Scored yesterday for Freiburg's second team against Arminia
Full game was on YouTube, goal is at 1:30:50
H5NqSA0pbo0

tommy_c12000
18/09/2023, 2:43 AM
Worth monitoring when it’s Freiburgs first team. His multiple country eligibility is about the most exciting thing about Ryan for me. The chase is always the best part.

Saw him preseason years ago in the USA, thought he was an ok player, but didn’t think he was going to establish top league. I was surprised Sevilla gave him such a long contract. Now he’s that but older and ploughing his trade in the lower echelons on Germany unfortunately.

There is a massive gulf between Freiburgs first and II teams.