PDA

View Full Version : How do Dublin City survive?

jorge
26/06/2005, 6:51 PM
Their attendances have been.. eh below par ,they've to rent there ground and are probably paying one of the highest wages in the divission.Does Rocky use his own money?Fair play if you can challenge for promotion though.

Maynard
27/06/2005, 12:36 PM
Not sure if the fans are really the ones to answer this question...however, there are only 2 full-time employees at Dublin City (Rocky being one obviously) which helps. All of the wages, rent etc is generated by Rocky through sponsorship etc and the players always get paid, even if that sometimes means foregoing other amenities. Which has to be commended. Just as a point of note, I doubt if we pay more than most of the bigger 1st Division clubs, eg Dundalk, Kildare, Sligo, Limerick etc
As we train and play in Dublin and have a well-known manager and having been a recent Premier team and 1st Division winners we can offer a bit more to players based on the east coast.

pineapple stu
27/06/2005, 12:38 PM
there are only 2 full-time employees at Dublin City (Rocky being one obviously) which helps.
That wouldn't help, surely? Hardly any First Division clubs have any full-time employees.

Seeing as all your gate receipts are realistically going to be going on rent and the referees, does that make Rocky a full-time beggarman? :p

Ringo
27/06/2005, 2:00 PM
Their attendances have been.. eh below par ,they've to rent there ground and are probably paying one of the highest wages in the divission.Does Rocky use his own money?Fair play if you can challenge for promotion though.

With some good sponsors ;) & lot of hard work on Rocky's part. You have to set a budget & stick to it. The likes of Roddy & ollie throw money at the problems & it doesn’t work. Better to be in the first division & solvent than be bankrupt.

blueviking1980
27/06/2005, 5:23 PM
We survive coz we have the attidude & loyalty to do so. If a club of our fresh stature can achive wat we've achived thus far of the last 4 yrs, be it good, bad, long or short.. EL clubs in some more years to come will sit & ponder; "Wat have we done wrong & what have they done right up to now?" Wen we dominate the EL Prem & possibly, quite possibly have a say in Europe.

blueviking1980
27/06/2005, 5:32 PM
How do Dublin City survive?

Let me answer your question with another question... how do u's all literally survive after each game with all that violence?? :D

Ringo
27/06/2005, 10:30 PM
Let me answer your question with another question... how do u's all literally survive after each game with all that violence?? :D

we survive on love, can you feel the love?

dcfcsteve
27/06/2005, 11:42 PM
We survive coz we have the attidude & loyalty to do so. If a club of our fresh stature can achive wat we've achived thus far of the last 4 yrs, be it good, bad, long or short.. EL clubs in some more years to come will sit & ponder; "Wat have we done wrong & what have they done right up to now?" Wen we dominate the EL Prem & possibly, quite possibly have a say in Europe.

What "fresh stature" ? You've been in the league since one of the many Cork clubs folded in the 70's...?

blueviking1980
28/06/2005, 8:02 AM
What "fresh stature" ? You've been in the league since one of the many Cork clubs folded in the 70's...?

Well aren't ya's sorta feelin fresh urselves since ur mixed with our bunch anyway? :p... In my opinion Dublin City have somewhat snipped away from the previous club(s) portrayed. We are a new breed... we'll show better than we'll tell.

Poor Student
28/06/2005, 11:55 AM
If anything I'd say you may have lost your novelty appeal and freshness. I can't quite figure out where the club is going. Over the history of your club you have seemed to moved Southwards. I assume your original support comes from remenants of Home Farm support in the North suburb area and maybe a bit from the North inner city area from your time at Tolka but now you've moved down to Richmond you've moved well away from your starting point seeing decreased attendences. How do you possibly hope to survive without marking out a territory of your own and staying there? Is there any long term plan for a ground or place of settlement? If you experience a stagnation period in the 1st Division I am not sure what is going to happen with you. With all due respect why do sponsors pour money into a club with so little support?

Before anyone attacks me about UCD's small support I am not attacking your club. I am just genuinely confused as to what it's all about and where is it going in the long term.

Ringo
28/06/2005, 12:54 PM
Dublin City is one of the best run clubs in the county, sponsors are obviously happy with what they get back.

gufct
28/06/2005, 1:08 PM
is there in you being in the league other than providing Ronan Seery with a job and a living. Also how do you manage to get a licence with no underage structure etc.

blueviking1980
28/06/2005, 1:22 PM
If anything I'd say you may have lost your novelty appeal and freshness. I can't quite figure out where the club is going. Over the history of your club you have seemed to moved Southwards. I assume your original support comes from remenants of Home Farm support in the North suburb area and maybe a bit from the North inner city area from your time at Tolka but now you've moved down to Richmond you've moved well away from your starting point seeing decreased attendences. How do you possibly hope to survive without marking out a territory of your own and staying there? Is there any long term plan for a ground or place of settlement? If you experience a stagnation period in the 1st Division I am not sure what is going to happen with you. With all due respect why do sponsors pour money into a club with so little support?

Before anyone attacks me about UCD's small support I am not attacking your club. I am just genuinely confused as to what it's all about and where is it going in the long term.

Born in Holles St. D2.. bred on South.. roamed & know City very well & I didn't even know the minor club connections when I started followin The Vikings in Oct '04.. not that it would have been a prob or ****. As far as DC as a club, as it's so young it may take a while to get off the ground etc. Sure beats followin Leicester anyway. Did UCD win a Division in 2003?? :p... on the ground/stadium front.. hey, aren't we still around? It'll take as long as it takes. Dublin City = Big Bang!

Poor Student
28/06/2005, 1:28 PM
Did UCD win the 1st Division in 2003??

No, but we lost it on goal difference in 2004. :D

Viking as I say, I'm not attacking you but your already small support seems to have been shrinking for two years now. Is there an actual long term plan for the club or is the aim just to hang on in there and see what happens?

blueviking1980
28/06/2005, 1:35 PM
Plans... Pretty much. In it for the long haul. Ur welcome to ur opinion.. I mite think the same if I was in ur boat.. but Im not in your boat... Im in a Dublin Long Boat! :D

Poor Student
28/06/2005, 1:46 PM
Actually I must correct myself, we were 1 point behind Harps last year, actually had better goal difference. :o

Best of luck to you. I have a lot of respect for the lads who turned up to watch your semi reserves get beaten 3-1 by ours in the League Cup 1st round, takes dedication to be bothered to do that.

anto eile
28/06/2005, 1:50 PM
you have seemed to moved Southwards. I assume your original support comes from remenants of Home Farm support in the North suburb area and maybe a bit from the North inner city area from your time at Tolka but now you've moved down to Richmond you've moved well away from your starting point seeing decreased attendences. How do you possibly hope to survive without marking out a territory of your own and staying there? Is there any long term plan for a ground or place of settlement? If you experience a stagnation period in the 1st Division I am not sure what is going to happen with you. With all due respect why do sponsors pour money into a club with so little support?

ronan seery is a little hypocritical little shyte. he wouldnt budge his franchise from tolka to dalymount last year to let Rovers play in tolka.the reason he gave was because tolka is closer to "[dublin citys] natural fanbase". yet now hel gladly play in richmond with not so much as a whimper

pineapple stu
28/06/2005, 2:55 PM
sponsors are obviously happy with what they get back.
But what do they get back?

Fair enough, Carroll's make a killing off stupid Americans - what about the other ones though?

blueviking1980
28/06/2005, 5:22 PM
Europe ur hav'n a laugh,the only way u lot will be in EUROPE is on a package holiday to SPAIN...!!!! :)

Ya's might be in Europe someway too but will be goin back home in a Paddywaggon. Sheffield will make a mint from ur belongings of course wen goin through customs :p

Maynard
28/06/2005, 5:54 PM
There have been some legitimate points and questions raised here, so it would be a shame to let the trollers draw it down to a slagging match...
Anyway AFAIK City will be back in Whitehall from this August with a view to staying there for the longterm. As a fan I can honestly say that I (and many others) wish for nothing more (and I mean that) than to have somewhere to hang our hat longterm. It's the only way to develop a club's fanbase full stop. However having been attending games for the last 3 seasons I would argue about the extent of "fan drop off" due to relocation of home games. In my experience it's been in or around the same where ever we are. You always pick up a few local heads and interested observers, and the loyal fans will go anywhere within reason.

The club is still very young, regardless of what some might say, and with the right moves we could be a nice solid outfit by the end of the decade. Clubs don't get built overnight, and although club names can be thought of overnight, it generally takes many years of work on and off the pitch to draw a loyal band of supporters. My personal wish for this club is that we move back to Whitehall, sign a longterm lease on the ground, and in conjunction with Home Farm (and maybe the FAI) begin to redevelop the ground to an A standard. If we then remain at Whitehall, while also being competitive on the pitch, I see no reason why we can't have our own group of local and other supporters. Dublin is a big place, full of people who love football, there is ample amounts of potential support to tap, IF we have everything else in order first.

Oh and by the way, vis-a-vis underage structures, we have an active schoolboy affiliate, and a competitive Ladies and U21 team...and we aren't millions in debt.

drummerboy
29/06/2005, 10:41 AM
Belgrove are currently using Whitehall while there own pitch is being developed. Anyone know how long this will take. I know Home Farm offered them a long term deal in Whitehall. Not sure if Belgrove were interested though.

Maynard
04/07/2005, 5:07 PM
AFAIK Belgrove will be out of there by the end of the season. With summer soccer and playing away every second week that really shouldn't be a problem. Saturday nights at 7.45 should be the time for Dublin City's last 7 or so home games. At least I hope so.

drummerboy
05/07/2005, 8:38 AM
Think crowds would improve if games were played at Whitehall. I'm not a DC supporter but used to go along occasionally on Saturday nights in the year they got promoted.

Ringo
05/07/2005, 12:34 PM
eek :eek: thought you said millwall :eek: read it wrong!

blueviking1980
06/07/2005, 4:07 PM
Haar :D :ball: :confused: