PDA

View Full Version : Sligo 2-1 Cobh

The Stars
25/06/2005, 9:11 PM
That was one of the best matches i have seen in a long time at the showgrounds.Every player was excellent and the standard of football was vey high.
We dominated the first half and should have been at least 3 up going in.We carved thier defence open at will,but couldn't get the goals.
Second half was good aswell and the introduction of Gary Curran and Carlos Alverez was a stroke of genius by Sean.
Delighted for carlos getting the winner,he tries so hard and got his reward tonight.
Also Steve Fenney was excellent,brilliant tackling and passing and was my Man Of The Match,despite that miss in the first half.
TOP OF THE LEAGUE............

roversfan
25/06/2005, 9:21 PM
have to agree....but would it not have been better if steve were taken off after the sending off,and carlos then brought on in his place

redtilldead
25/06/2005, 10:36 PM
sorry lads,have to disagree slightly.1st half was one of the best halves of football from the bit o red for a long long time but the second half was woeful.Once again a sloppy equaliser from a dead ball situation and inded their no 12 was unlucky twice.that was only a minor gripe as we still managed to nick the points when we should have been out of sight at half time.well done the lads.

sligoman
25/06/2005, 11:40 PM
Definitely one of the best games of the season, only the 4-1 win over Galway would beat it for entertainment. Fully deserved three points, Cobh were terrible. Should of had a penalty too. Flynn played fairly well surprisingly, and that first goal has got to be Faz's did you see the way he reacted when the Chairman announced the goal scorer over the speakers :D

Also, must say the ref tonight was fairly good considering the jokes we've had in the past. Anyone know his name?

1 9 2 8
26/06/2005, 12:37 AM
What a game of football in the first half we played the best football I've seen in the Showgrounds in a long time. Good to see Carlos get a goal (the place went mental :D ) Cobh didn't try to play football unlike the Lims I can't see them going to far. As sligoman said the ref as pretty good for a change :eek: My man of the match was Burns great game

Btw "We're top of the league and ye still don’t sing" :D

Comic Book Guy
26/06/2005, 10:26 AM
Lads, it's all about perspective here, I take exception with the notion that Ramblers aren't up to much, true we should have been dead and buried at the break, esp. the miss from the open goal after the ball hit the woodwork, you seem to forget that we should have scored straight after you went one up and our No.10 should have scored from another header later on in the first half.
I thought one or two of your team started to show boat a
little in the second half thinking the game was won. After we equalised Sligo went very flat and I couldn't see where a second for Sligo was going to come from, some of your fans started to drift off. I can remember our keeper only having to make one save in the second half from a free which was hit straight at him, (even though he f****** up for your first :mad: ).
Our No.12 had two good efforts in the 2nd half when he made a great run past your defence, the first going just past the post.
Lads your winner had a slice of luck about it which you need, we were missing three regulars which would have made a huge difference last night, so don't write us off, we WILL be there in the shakeup at the end of the season as you will be. Remember too that every team will go through a bad patch, Dublin City were 5 points clear at one stage two months ago.

Rory H
26/06/2005, 11:30 AM
im not getting carried away,its not even half way yet...still 21 games to play...

last nights in the 1st half we were amazing....best for a long long time....in the second half we were poor but we won and that stephen mc laughlin is all that matters :D

very happy for carlos....the roar when we realized it went in was amazing

should be on tv3...please dont show feeneys miss.....was brilliant apart from that miss!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

fixtures next week are

limerick vrs dundalk[wont be easy for limerick]

cobh vrs dublin city[draw most likely]

rovers vrs monaghan

Mayo Red
26/06/2005, 1:52 PM
Firstly, credit where credit is due, have to agree with Sligoman and 1928 that the ref (Neil Doyle, according to sligorovers.com) was pretty decent lastnignt. It was a refreshing change! A real game of two halves, but I think on the balance of the chances and the terrific overall play in the first half we deserved the victory.

I thought that some of the crowd were very fickle though. Sean and the team could do no wrong in the first half, and then after Cobh got the equaliser they started to get on both Seans and the players backs! I know it was frustrating to watch at times but it does no good putting pressure on the players and trying to force the play! There were constant shouts of "take him off" if any player made a mistake and "pump it up" or "over the top" if a Rovers player passed the ball backwards at all. That was all Cobh were looking for Rovers to do once they scored, they wanted to protect their point by putting 10 men behind the ball and making Rovers resort to the long ball! It nearly worked for them, but I thought some of Rovers passing moves were excellent on the night and playing football like that is the way forward. On another night people would be shouting "get the ball down and play it"!

Also, It looked to me that the first goal was scored by Faz!

1 9 2 8
26/06/2005, 7:18 PM
SLIGO ROVERS STRETCH 1ST DIV LEAD

Sligo Rovers moved five points clear at the top of the eircom League First Division with a 2-1 win over promotion rivals Cobh Ramblers at the Showgrounds on Saturday evening.

Sean Connor's men took an early lead through Steve Feeney in the second minute, but Cobh equalised after 64 minutes through Robert Brosnan.

However, Rovers' persistence was rewarded when striker Carlos Alvarez found the net from close range in the 89th minute to give the home side all three points.
-------------------------------------------------

Nice to see us getting a bit of coverage in the media

roversforever
26/06/2005, 9:08 PM
im absolutely delighted for carlos.he needed that goal.hopefully it will help his confidence.i just want to say to that gobsh!te who was giving him abuse just before he scored:what sort of a ******** are you?shouting at a player who is struggling for confidence like that.how will that help him?coming from somebody who probably never even played the game.red haired fella with a hat,you know who you are and if i knew i'd name you.i just hope you look at this website.

Rambler1
26/06/2005, 10:26 PM
Couple of shots of the game last night on our Web www.cobhramblers.com well done Sligo. We were gutted with the late winner but football is a game over 90 mins plus. I guess we will just have to reverse that when ye comedown next..........

garykelly
26/06/2005, 10:28 PM
put a match report on the trust site. some excellent photos of the winning goal celebration.

garykelly
26/06/2005, 10:30 PM
Couple of shots of the game last night on our Web www.cobhramblers.com well done Sligo. We were gutted with the late winner but football is a game over 90 mins plus. I guess we will just have to reverse that when ye comedown next..........

it will be another tough game in cobh. enjoyed the game there this season. lovely spot, good people and good club. will be back down for the next one.

Rovers1
26/06/2005, 10:35 PM
we deserved the win,cobh were very negative for the last 20 minutes, played a 8-0-1 formation(man sent off),with the auld lad up front on his own,we were very lucky,although we created a hell of a lot more chances than cobh

5 POINTS CLEAR!!!!! :D

akearins
27/06/2005, 9:39 AM
Great win @weekend to take us 5 points clear at the top. As agreed by all the first half was fantastic to watch we destroyed Cobh with some great football, one move I counted 7 passes from our own box up to Steve , which he then missed when it looked easier to score..All player played well but credit to Alan Flynn and Gary Curran,not an easy game for them to come into a top of the table clash with the pressure on.Flynn may be a little short at the moment but more games will help, he challenged for everyting and put their defence under conatstnt pressure closing down defenders, very good in the air too.Curran fitted in beside Conor with ease and played his part in getting us 3 points.So well done to them.
First half was great, a pure joy to watch, second half wasn't great though,but one thing that stoood out for me was O'Gradys performance Saturday in second half, I thought he took the game by the collar and dragged players on around him.He is haveing a great season and great to see that from one of the locals in what may be a glorious season.

Said it previously on the forum that the referees performance have significant consequences. As a match Saturday was a joy to watch as the ref let the game flow and was not whistle happy sow e were treated to some uninterrupted football.So when te crowds left all were saying waht a match, great to watch etc.. this will go back to those who stayed away and I guarantee we will have a bigger crowd for our next hoem game because of this.Bigger crowds = bifgger gate reciepts = more finances for club and ultimately for Sean to get players.....

Still looking at table seeing us top of the league by 5 points takes away the Monday Blues :) :) :) :) :)

Rory H
27/06/2005, 10:11 AM
put a match report on the trust site. some excellent photos of the winning goal celebration.

look at connor in picture 2....lol! :D

and gerry carr too.....good times :D